View Single Post
Old 11-29-2019, 10:08 PM   #1137
Emperor Smeat
Former TPWW Royalty

Emperor Smeat makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Emperor Smeat makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Emperor Smeat makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Emperor Smeat makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Emperor Smeat makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Emperor Smeat makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Emperor Smeat makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Emperor Smeat makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Emperor Smeat makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Emperor Smeat makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Emperor Smeat makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Emperor Smeat makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Emperor Smeat makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
The Sheets:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Observer Newsletter
The next two Takeovers shows, the U.K. show on 1/12 and this one, will be on Sundays rather than Saturdays as an experiment to see how the new night does for viewing on the WWE Network.

They are also doing a special in Houston called World’s Collide on 1/25, the night before the Rumble, which an ad for the show listed Cole, Baszler, Walter and Kay Lee Ray, the champions of the regular and the U.K. brands ... The experiment is to have more shows like this on Saturdays before PPVs down the line, with NXT and Takeovers on Sundays, to make Sunday the day for every brand’s individual big show. But all of this right now is just in the experimental phase.
Quote:
There were a couple of other notes regarding the show. They did an angle where Mia Yim was “injured” and replaced in the Women’s War Games by Dakota Kai. The angle leading to the match certainly seemed to tease Kai being unhappy that Yim was picked ahead of her by captain Ripley. Yim did suffer a broken nose, but the angle taking her out and having Kai take her place, and then Kai turn heel on Tegan Nox was planned all along.
Quote:
After a tweet by Corey Graves during the Takeover show, which Mauro Ranallo found out about after the show, Ranallo, 49, who suffers from a very severe case of mental health issues, missed both Survivor Series and the Wednesday NXT tapings. Ranallo’s situation was unclear, but it was known that he was not dong well, but there was communication with either he and the company or at least his representatives and the company. They were told a day ahead of time at least that he wouldn’t be doing the NXT show.

Ranallo had made it clear at times of late that he was not doing well, although Graves may not have known that ...

There were issues from the beginning, most notably broadcast partner Jerry Lawler the first few weeks giving him the nickname “M.R.” On playgrounds during the 50s and 60s in particular, “M.R.,” for mental retard, was among the uglier slurs of the time, equivalent to gay slurs and other ethnic slurs. After it was brought up, Lawler quickly stopped using it on the air ...

Prior to the show, Graves tweeted a line from Ice T that said, “Social media has made too many of you comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the mouth for it.” During the Takeover show, he tweeted, “Just for the record guys, I know you wouldn’t know it, but there’s actually a WWE Hall of Famer and a former Ring of Honor champion on commentary. I’d imagine they have a lot to offer.” Knowing Ranallo’s situation, I knew there was potential trouble from that tweet. It’s one thing regarding every public figure with a Twitter presence being harassed, but it is another thing for it to be a fellow broadcaster and former broadcast partner, as it was with Layfield. Graves also made references to Ranallo making too many rap music references during the show, which is a fair criticism, but also came after Graves himself complained about talent going on Twitter and being unprofessional.

Graves later claimed according to reports elsewhere, as well as those in the company, that he was trying to just start an angle with Ranallo. Ranallo had no idea of this and usually if one would be starting an angle, you’d let the other guy know, especially given the track record. The starting the angle story didn’t come until days later, and a number of people have been very skeptical because of the idea if you were starting an angle brand vs. brand, you would not have tweeted it like that, in a sense you may have buried all three announcers, or been critical of an announcer for being a homer, but not made the specific comment he did. But the two were set to do at least one match, and perhaps more, working together at Survivor Series.

Ranallo deleted all his social media accounts shortly after. Frank Shamrock, his agent and best friend, was in Chicago with him and they did leave before Survivor Series. Graves did apologize to Shamrock, but not to Ranallo. Shamrock then tweeted Graves’ Ice T line right back to him. It was already reported that Ranallo had left and would not be doing the show ...

Graves never took down the tweet. He never commented on anything actually related to Ranallo again, but did blame me for making up a story, which in this case, was a ridiculous deflection. It was noted to me that logic would have had WWE management trying to reel him in after Ranallo left, but in the strange world of WWE, Graves was considered by many the babyface in the situation, and even the victim.
Quote:
We have some updated information regarding viewing habits of wrestling fans. We’ve listed overall viewership numbers as far as live vs DVR in the past for Raw and Smackdown. These are the averages for the four major shows in the U.S. as measured from 10/1, the start of the fall season, through the shows the week of 11/11. Now this is only the 18-49 demo and not overall and is the average for each show during those six weeks ...

One would think Smackdown would be heavy DVR viewing being on Friday night, when people go out, but it is actually viewed more live by percentage than the other three shows. Smackdown viewership as measured by Nielsen is watched 70 percent in the demo live or same day, with another 14 percent watching over the next three days and 14 percent more from day four to seven ...

For Raw, those numbers are 67 percent live, 19 percent over the next three days, another 12 percent days four through seven, and two percent past seven days. For AEW, it is 57 percent live, 22 percent over the next three days, 17 percent days four through seven and four percent after more than seven days. With NXT, it is 63 percent live, 15 percent the next three days, 19 percent days four through seven and three percent more than seven days. On average, if you include all DVR viewership, there are 1,301,000 viewers 18-49 eventually watching Smackdown, 1,147,000 watching Raw, 741,000 watching AEW and 400,000 watching NXT on an average week. Keep in mind that the Smackdown and the AEW average is inflated based on the huge first week each show had
Quote:
Wyatt is now the company’s top merchandise seller
Quote:
Chris Girard, responding to Paul Levesque saying that the mature professional thing is not for talent to go on social media and talk about their issues or wanting to leave the promotion and that it should be handled via private conversation with management, responded by saying about Levesque, “The mature professional thing to say would be no comment and have a private conversation promoter to independent contractor instead of burying talent publicly to the media. That’s how I do business. It’s all about the game and how you play it.” Girard never publicly talked about asking for a release but had asked for a release and felt Levesque’s remarks publicly were notable because of the reasons he gave
For some reference, Girard is Oney Lorcan in WWE.

Quote:
The decision was made to put the battle of women’s champions, Baszler vs. Becky Lynch vs. Bayley, in the final spot. It seemed to make sense ahead of time. Only two bouts on the show really had a strong consistent push, that match and the Brock Lesnar vs. Rey Mysterio WWE title match that went on next to last.

But the women’s match didn’t click and the crowd was mostly silent. The idea of the match, and really the entire angle, was for Baszler. Baszler carries herself and talks like a badass bully. The original plan was for her to be on the main roster in 2020. Based on so much of the build, and the match and post-match, it appeared she was being groomed for Lynch.

But the match wasn’t good. There were a few awkward spots, surprising since the bout was heavily worked on and practiced. It got so bad that Vince McMahon was really mad about it as it was going on. There was a story going around Vince was so mad he was telling the ref high spots for them to do as the match was going on, but those in the company have only said McMahon was mad, saying he had every right to be, but said he was not sending high spots to the referee while the match was going on.
Quote:
WWE has tried to oppose some of the trademarks that Cody Runnels was attempting to gain the rights to. We don’t know which ones in specific, but he has largely tried to gain the intellectual property rights to a lot of WCW names that WWE hasn’t used or trademarked. WWE is opposing his claims on at least some of them. Cody has been trying to gain ownership of things for usage in AEW, such as Bash at the Beach that is being used in January. In particular he’s looking for ownership of ideas that his father came up with. Runnels filed for new trademarks for SuperBrawl and Slamboree, which were the names of two other WCW PPV events
Quote:
NWA Powerrr has had several edits for reasons of taste, including a couple of prior lines by Cornette and one by Eddie Kingston, which was not racial but violent speak that they thought went too far. Lagana knew the risk of hiring Cornette because he knew from the start there were people ready to pounce on him based on the reaction by some to the decision to hire him. That actually had made him more cautious when it came to editing the show. He felt from day one he had to be extra careful because a line he would say that nobody would give a second thought to if someone else would say, would garner controversy if Cornette said it. That line, for whatever reason, perhaps the way it was delivered, didn’t stand out and snuck through the entire process, unlike other lines that they caught.

Lagana noted he and the NWA got some criticism when the word got out they were using Cornette as a television announcer. He said it was a recent thing and nothing that had been said by anyone previously when he had done previous NWA PPV shows, all of which he did with no controversy. The only people who showed any kind of negativity for using him on prior shows was one wrestler as best we know. I don’t even know if he ever even told them. But it was someone who wasn’t happy about doing a show with Cornette as an announcer, but decided to take his payoff for that show and donate it to charity to rationalize that what he as doing by working a show with Cornette as an announcer was for a greater good than bad.

When the controversy started, Lagana, called Cornette, who didn’t answer the phone. Cornette claimed he wasn’t around, wasn’t on the Internet, and had no idea any controversy was even happening until the next day. Lagana then issued an apology statement before talking to Cornette. Lagana eventually talked with Cornette and asked him to apologize immediately and asked him to take a hiatus, but that they would bring him back. It got heated enough at first that Cornette hung up the phone on him. ...

He also wanted to address the subject first on his podcast, ironically the same decision Corey Graves made a few days later. Lagana felt the apology had to come immediately and insisted on it. The line had already gotten TMZ coverage by the time this call had taken place. Cornette eventually quit, although he described it more as a decision based on what was best for the company ...

Another issue had to do with owner William Patrick “Billy” Corgan, whose newest album was being released and he would be heavily promoting it, and the feeling was he wanted media coverage of his album, and not people asking his opinions on what somebody said in a wrestling promotion he owned that was getting negative press.

There was also the concern that because Cornette turns so many phrases so quickly and people were clearly looking for anything on him at this point, that putting him on a live PPV was asking for trouble.
Quote:
There was a news report this past week saying La Parka was back in intensive care due to a bacterial infection. There have also been reports Parka suffered a heart attack at one point. AAA has denied all this saying that he is in stable condition
Quote:
The company [NJPW] announced its schedule through early March. If there is a key thing, it is that they have major plans for early February big shows, and there is no Honor Rising tour this year, which is more a confirmation of relations with that company not being what they once were.
Quote:
Former WCW announcer Chris Cruise contacted the Maryland State Athletic Commission regarding the Omega vs. Jon Moxley I Quit match at the Full Gear PPV show on 11/9. He asked about commission rules on blading, and allowing matches to continue if a performer is bleeding either intentionally or unintentionally and if there was a commission doctor at the show. After repeated requests, he was told that the commission prohibits wrestlers from deliberately lacerating themselves or their opponents, or introducing human or animal blood into the match, none of which happened in that match. The commission noted that they were at the match and there was a doctor assigned to the show. The commission also stated they were conducting a formal investigation into the match and thus, since the investigation is ongoing, they can’t comment on questions regarding the match. I’m not sure what the investigation would be on
Quote:
Regarding Kris Statlander, it looks like she’ll be signing with AEW. She and WWE were close to a deal but they had not sent a contract and then AEW booked her. WWE was under the impression she was coming in January and both sides want her. Her working here the last few weeks, and we know AEW is looking to sign her as well, would indicate AEW is the likely final destination
Quote:
Tessa Blanchard is out of action with an eye injury suffered on the British J Cup show for Revolution Pro with Gisele Shaw. She was scheduled for the Thanksgiving weekend WrestleCade show in Winston-Salem, NC. She will still be appearing but not wrestling
Quote:
Regarding Japan, we had a long discussion that was not on the show. He said he knew who was behind his having trouble getting in and was outright told at customs, and that there was an attempt to keep him out of the country for ten years. For legal reasons he didn’t want to discuss it in detail and that it’s an ongoing issue, but said he took care of everything beforehand when going back so he was allowed in, even though there was an attempt to block him all three times he went this year. He said it was not anyone he had dealt with and categorized it as businessmen just doing what they perceived was their jobs and that he felt those people in New Japan proper probably wouldn’t have known about it and that he was not against working for New Japan in the future.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WrestlingInc
Earlier today [Thursday], B/R Wrestling started a debate on Twitter after asking users who they would add to their wrestling Mount Rushmore. The Rock even joined in and made his own list.

The former WWE star picked Hulk Hogan, Ric Flair, Gorgeous George, Bruno Sammartino, and Steve Austin for his wrestling Mount Rushmore.

His full tweet was, "*I made an edit after thinking about the wrestling star's impact and drawing power during their respective runs. Thanks for the carve out and always a cool debate. I'd go with/ Hulk Hogan, Ric Flair, Gorgeous George/Bruno Sammartino, Steve Austin ?? #WrestlingsMtRushmore"
Link: https://twitter.com/TheRock/status/1200222001048064000

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrestlingInc
Ryan Satin has been popping up on WWE Backstage as a correspondent after working for TMZ as a producer, while also serving as the editor in chief for Pro Wrestling Sheet ...

When he heard about FOX being interested in an FS1 - WWE show, he lit up and reached out to guys like Ariel Helwani to figure out what to do. Satin then met with an FOX Sports executive a couple years ago and tried to get a studio show on the air, but it didn't materialize at the time.

"I thought ESPN was severely under-utilizing the relationship they had with WWE at the time. So I went to FOX and said we should do something together," Satin stated before adding that he pitched himself for a role on the show.

"My goal from day one has always been to make some sort of a change. I hated looking at wrestling coverage and seeing stories that didn't come into fruition or narratives based off conjecture. My goal was always to have a reliable website where people can go to for news they can trust."

Satin noted that he doesn't work for WWE, he works for FOX Sports. He also said that fans should appreciate that his news is more valid because he's actually on the inside with a wrestling promotion.

Backstage has vowed to cover lighthearted topics as well as more serious situations. Satin was asked if he could cover things like the ACH (Jordan Myles) t-shirt controversy.

"I'm not the producer of the show so I don't make those decisions. I'm very low on the totem pole in terms of what's going to be discussed. I don't think they want me there for opinions as they want me there to break news," stated Satin who then added that he's still figuring it out as he goes but he hasn't been told to shy away from anything.

"What people don't understand is that I've had a great relationship with WWE since day one. They've helped me out and are very open with me. I work hard to make sure my news is verified by talking to people within WWE…

"When it comes to negative stories, I believe there will be times when I have to talk about negative things. It's just we're in Week 2 and nothing super-negative has happened for me to discuss."

Satin noted that he pitched that they should talk about the Saudi issues but it was already on the run sheet.

"When it comes to the ACH situation, there is a lot of unknowns and I think they'd rather play it safe," said Satin. "It's a case-by-case basis I think."
Considering he's the same guy who reported on the debunked Sasha and Bayley tantrum incident at Mania, kind of funny for him to say he wants to be the most trusted source for wrestling and other sites are just rumor mongers. Also him becoming very close to WWE has led to him becoming a lot more pro-WWE with his reports in recent weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Observer
With the release of this week's top-five roster rankings, Jon Moxley is currently ranked as the top challenger in AEW's men's division ...

Men's division --
Jon Moxley (3-0-1 singles record, 3-1-1 overall)
PAC (4-2-1 singles record, 4-3-1 overall)
Kenny Omega (4-2 singles record, 7-4 overall)
Cody Rhodes (4-1-1 singles record, 5-2-1 overall)
MJF (2-1 singles record, 3-1 overall)

Women's division --
Hikaru Shida (3-1 singles record, 4-2 overall)
Emi Sakura (1-1 singles record, 3-3 overall)
Britt Baker (3-2 singles record, 6-3 overall)
Nyla Rose (2-3 singles record, 3-3 overall)
Bea Priestley (1-2 singles record, 3-2 overall)

Tag team division --
Santana & Ortiz (3-1 tag team record, 4-1 overall)
The Young Bucks (4-3 tag team record, 7-4 overall record for Matt Jackson, 7-5 overall record for Nick Jackson)
Best Friends (4-3 tag team record, 6-5 overall record for Trent Barreta, 5-4 overall record for Chuck Taylor)
The Lucha Bros (4-4 tag team record, 5-6 overall record for Pentagon Jr., 6-5 overall record for Fenix)
Private Party (4-4 tag team record, 4-6 overall)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fightful
Speaking on Wrestling Observer Radio, Omega discussed fans choosing sides in the war ...

AEW Dynamite drew more viewers than NXT for the first seven weeks of the head-to-head battle, but NXT won the viewership battle on Nov. 20. However, AEW continued to draw stronger in key demographics, losing only the 50+ audience ...

"NXT, I don't want to sound derogatory, I can see how they're winning that demographic of 50 and over because they have a great, solid wrestling product. Those are probably the people who came up watching traditional wrestling that happens in the ring. AEW is more so of a variety show. You're going to get in-ring action, but you're going to get oddball stuff too. They're two very different shows. But me, being a wrestling fan, I can watch and enjoy all of them. I think it's cool that the ratings are close together and it's not like, they're having a terrible show but we're neck and neck. Both products are hitting it out of the park every week."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fightful
Eric Bischoff speaks to Fightful.

Eric Bischoff's return to WWE lasted just a few months as he was fired from his position as executive director of SmackDown in October after being hired in June. Bischoff, who found massive success in leading WCW at its peak in the mid-90s, was never able to establish himself as the leader of WWE's blue brand. Reports circulated that Vince McMahon routinely ripped up the script before SmackDown, with many blaming Bischoff for his creative direction. However, as Bischoff told Fightful at Starrcast IV, he had nothing to do with SmackDown creative.

"I wasn't hired necessarily to takeover creative. I was brought up more to manage the process. And that was clear to me in the beginning. None of the creative that you saw had anything to do with me, good or bad," he said.

TPWW Frontpage:
Emperor Smeat is online now   Reply With Quote