View Single Post
Old 05-27-2019, 01:57 AM   #50
Mr. Nerfect

Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Fan View Post
If you reverse it it gets pretty interesting. It isn't even far fetched as Bret had the lifetime contract and if money was good enough Vince would have probably stuck to it. Had he screwed Shawn in that match and forced him out if the company would have changed a bunch. Shawn ended up with a Nitro girl so fate could have led him to WCW but what they did with him would be the key.
Vince had the money to pay Shawn. Charging extra for PPVs got him out of the hole. He just didn't want to pay Bret that much anymore and the Bret/Shawn dynamic was a headache. Plus, I think Vince understood that having talent clogging the top, even if it is someone as good as Bret Hart, was counterproductive then.

One thing I never hear getting talked about is why Bret over Shawn. I mean, Bret was getting paid double, but I wonder about the other factors compounding that issue. Bret ran with Davey Boy and Owen. He had no allies in WCW. Shawn ran with Hunter and had Nash & Hall with influence in WCW.

I wonder if the risk of Shawn being used well in WCW scared Vince out of ever letting him go. Shawn may not have been the biggest ratings or PPV draw in the WWF, but if he went to WCW where he could have been "cool?" Well, who knows how that would change history?
Mr. Nerfect is offline   Reply With Quote