View Single Post
Old 08-07-2019, 07:50 PM   #11402
Seanny One Ball
World Class References

Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Us - 4/4

Jordan Peele has made another masterpiece.
In description this falls under the "high concept" category and all things considered this is a marvellous piece of trickery.
Drawn in by the promise of a horror film with levity an unsuspecting audience will almost immediately be at ease with the tone.
After half an hour this tone blurs and distorts like a funhouse mirror, the comfort atrophies as the creeping horror fattens into a perpetual feeling of disgust, mistrust and anxiety.
Then for moments I was allowed mild respite from the terror of what might, replaced once more with a resurgent swell of hope.
The tonal shifts, the atmospheric terraforming are stunning in their own right, but they are accompanied by some of the most incredible uses of soundtrack that I have ever experienced.
When the climactic scene between Lupita's occurs I can already count two previous uses of the same piece of music in different forms which should have rendered the tune a gimmick and yet which instead have engrained it deeply into the heart of the film.
The tune becomes three different things, first a piece of comfort comedy, secondly a resurgence of faith in the success of the hero and lastly a dynamic soundtrack to a piece of murderous choreography akin to a beautiful Kung Fu scene or as is shown, a classical ballet.
I am beholden unto this film for restoring my faith in surprises, though one large surprise I telegraphed almost immediately and did not let go of for the entire duration of the film.
It changed nothing, if you catch the main twist early on which an observant viewer will then you may worry that the ending shall now be unsatisfactory which thankfully the film accounts for and provides an unspoken yet surprisingly cheerful "Get over it!" in response.
The cast were all wonderful, particularly Lupita Nyong'o. That is a lot of acting to do for one person in a film and it's probably the best dual role I can name off the top of my head because traditionally they tend to go wrong or are placed in a weaker film.
I haven't felt like writing proper reviews lately, I was pretty sure I wasn't going to write anything besides my opinions ever again but this is a truly appropriate and brilliant follow up to a promising young director's first masterpiece, now cementing him as a powerhouse in the horror genre.
I am grateful for the respite in the form of timely humour and tunes, this shows Jordan Peele to be a damned good sport and a man intent on making the film palatable beyond a fully nightmarish theme.

This is the best film I have seen for months and I honestly think it may be one of the best horror films I have ever seen. Not that I have seen very many at all.
I can't say it is as satirical or as fully conceived as "Get Out" but it is definitely a shining example of what can be done to make full use of a cast and a small setting with an excellently developed storyline and performances.
Seanny One Ball is offline   Reply With Quote