TPWW Forums  

Go Back   TPWW Forums > w r e s t l i n g > wrestling forum

View Poll Results: What do you think of John Cena?
Best in the World 0 0%
Best on the Mic 0 0%
Best in the Ring 1 2.17%
Worst in the Ring 2 4.35%
Worst on the Mic 0 0%
Fuck Cena Wins 5 10.87%
Best Man for the Job 12 26.09%
Please turn Heel 13 28.26%
I'm cool with whatever 8 17.39%
Other (please explain below) 5 10.87%
Voters: 46. You must log in or register to vote on this poll.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2011, 12:52 PM   #1
Xero
He's Here
 
Xero's Avatar
 
Posts: 60,735
Xero makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Xero makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Xero makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Xero makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Xero makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Xero makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Xero makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Xero makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Xero makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Xero makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Xero makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Xero makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Xero makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
I'm sure I'll echo many in this thread, but I respect Cena. I respect everything he does, and have said this for years. He wrestles a full-time scheduel, including house shows and TV every week. All the while he (sometimes) films a movie AND does all his Make a Wish appearances. As well as his PR work. I've said it before and will say it again, he is the absolutely best face of the company they've ever had, when it comes to coming across professional and doing as much as he does for the media.

When it comes down to what I don't like, it all comes down to his gimmick and, honestly, his wrestling. His gimmick is just tired to me, as well as way too immature and not serious at all. Also, no one ever really gets the upper hand on Cena for more than a week or two. That vastly hurts him, and is one thing that has hurt him in the eyes of casual fans and "smart" fans alike.

As for his wrestling, his matches are just too repetitive to me. Yes, you can say that "every wrestler does xyz spot". I'm not talking about the fabled "five moves of doom". It's fun to use it as a joke, but obviously Cena has more than five moves. He's no where near as limited as some claim. But it's more about his lack of selling and especially that his matches are completely formulaic.

How many times have you seen this match with Cena? Cena gets beat down for 1/2 the match, starts to make a comeback, but it's thwarted. He's then beat down again until the finish, when he fires up and does his Five Moves of Doom, all the while completely ignoring any offense that was put on him.

I'm just so tired of his matches being so formulaic. And in terms of his selling, I don't know if Cena's lack of awareness or that he's actually told to go out and work it like that.

I do think Cena could be a lot better than he's allowed to be. It's just that his current gimmick and booking calls for the Superman bullshit.

He also needs to be more serious in promos and other situations. I've seen many times where it's called for and he's just saying stupid shit or completely no-selling the other guy. Which is fine and dandy for once in a while, but it happens too often. I'm not saying get rid of his silly shit, I'm just saying tone it way down and let him be more serious. This, along with changing his Superman bullshit, would go a long way in improving his buyability.

Honestly, I think we'll see another side of Cena once the Rock feud is going full force. WWE knows what they have with that, and they know they can't get away with Cena's usual booking. We'll see a more mature, serious Cena in this program than we've possibly ever seen with Cena. If not, it will take A LOT away from the match, for me at least. If I see the goofy, bordering on TV-Y Cena in the ring cutting promos with Rock it's going to be hard to buy Cena at all in the match.
Xero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 01:33 PM   #2
XL
Feeling Oof-y
 
XL's Avatar
 
Posts: 17,152
XL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)XL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)XL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)XL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)XL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)XL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)XL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)XL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)XL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)XL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)XL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)XL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)XL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xero View Post
But it's more about his lack of selling and especially that his matches are completely formulaic.

How many times have you seen this match with Cena? Cena gets beat down for 1/2 the match, starts to make a comeback, but it's thwarted. He's then beat down again until the finish, when he fires up and does his Five Moves of Doom, all the while completely ignoring any offense that was put on him.

I'm just so tired of his matches being so formulaic. And in terms of his selling, I don't know if Cena's lack of awareness or that he's actually told to go out and work it like that.

I do think Cena could be a lot better than he's allowed to be. It's just that his current gimmick and booking calls for the Superman bullshit.
My thoughts exactly.

Surely someone, an agent, a respected veteran, hell, Vince himself should pull him aside and "set him straight". The fact that that hasn't happened (or at least appears not to have) is down to management.

I believe that EVERY issue people take with Cena is fixable but Vince doesn't wanna change anything. If ain't broke, don't fix it. And as far as the kids are concerned, it ain't broke.
XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®