TPWW Forums  

Go Back   TPWW Forums > w r e s t l i n g > wrestling forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-13-2020, 01:39 AM   #1
Mr. Nerfect

Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
I haven't been this excited about something in wrestling for a long while, so I wanted to make a thread...

Marty Scurll has allegedly signed back on with ROH as a talent and head booker. The deal is said to, overall, be worth seven figures.

This is the same feeling I had when AEW was sparking up. I've since found myself disillusioned with their philosophy and booking, but the concept of AEW had me giddy. All you need to compete with Vince McMahon and the horrible WWE product is money.

For ages it looked like Sinclair were not going to pony up and really sink that capital into ROH to make it a top-level contender in the promotional wars. So this deal is huge to me, because obvious they really want him and he wants to put himself into a position where he can enact his vision.

And I hope that vision is big.

If I were Scurll, I wouldn't have signed on that dotted line as booker if I couldn't get some assurances. That would be Sinclair investment so we can get the stars we need to start filling up buildings and make this an attractive enough product to sell to a network. Yes, Sinclair own ROH and they like having that one-hour show for syndication. But there is no reason that they can't polish ROH, take it larger and get it to more eyeballs and make way more than the money you'd be required to invest in it to get it to that level.

The rumor for AEW was $100 million. That would be enough to pay talent out the ass, cover production costs and get some promotional stuff going. I'd aim to start running decent sized buildings and get a two-hour weekly show, ala Dynamite and hope that it does well enough to justify getting those TV rights fees. That goes right back to Sinclair, and if that is $50 million a year over five years, that's several time that initial investment.

If I were Scurll, I'd be looking to lock all the free agents that come out of WWE (Brodie Lee and FTR, especially), double-down on their New Japan relationship, start up something with MLW and the NWA (why not work together?) and try, try, try to use some of your extra millions lying around to get The Rock to appear on your two-hour launch to try and draw in eyeballs to some serious pro-wrestling. If he can get a CBS Viacom to sit down with you he's worth backing up the truck and leaving the keys in the ignition.

Yes, I am starting Rock to ROH rumors. Fuck you. He's the biggest star in the world and if you want to make your Sinclair overlords happy, that's who you want coming out and putting over your TV show and getting a few million people to give wrestling a shot, shoot yourselves to #2 overnight and get you something close to what allows Vince McMahon to start up his own fucking football league again.
Mr. Nerfect is offline   Reply With Quote