TPWW Forums  

Go Back   TPWW Forums > o f f t o p i c > entertainment forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-06-2019, 12:15 AM   #11
Tom Guycott
I W C DEEZ NUTZ!

Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Just riding right by the previous page and a half about tags. I'm using them anyway, just needed to get my wall o text printed first, since I keep getting trapped with that "back key" thing. I don't have much of a problem with tags myself. It is just an extra click to see and a tiny bit of extra typing to make.

SPOILER: show

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damian Rey 2.0 View Post
I agree with Kalyx. I think Cap just lived out his life, and at some point jumped back into his original timeline once his life with Peggy came to an end. The Russos are better off not explaining it.
Didn't seem like any sort of logical leap to me. He spent the time with her living, and it didn't really screw anything up since his parallel was busy being frozen in the Arctic. He either spent all the time there until her end, or left when his younger self got thawed so he wouldn't screw much of anything else up in that timeline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damian Rey 2.0 View Post
My biggest takeaway and surprise was how they treated Thanos. I sure as shit didn't expect him to just sit back and retire. He looked like his will to live had vanished. He completed his life mission and was now ready to just let whatever happens, happen.

Then we get 2014 Thanos. Who is a fucking monster. Infinity Wars Thanos seemed very calm, calculated and focused on one goal. Whereas 2014 Thanos was much more vicious. He mentioned it was never personal until now. You could see that with how he fought. He was aiming to kill instead of trying to get people out of his way.
The time travel was interesting, especially since they were wrestling with not only the implications, but the process itself ("You weren't moving him through time, you were moving time through him!" "Back To The Future is BULLSHIT!"). Nice nod to the "hail Hydra" that made people lose their fucking minds.

Also, the people that existed vs the people they would become in time. Current Thanos didn't simply accomplish what he set out to do, but he a) had to sacrifice Gamora to do it, and b) live with not only the consequences- which he was okay with- but apparently the "temptation" of power. Probably saw it as a monkey's paw, which is why he destroyed them. That Thanos had that weight of experience and full knowledge of what winning meant, cost, and resulted in... 2014 Thanos did not. He only saw that he won. He could get all six stones without giving anything up. He was still in a conquering mindset. In the showdown itself, he had already changed his goal to destroy everything and remake existence itself instead of his ambiguously self-righteous goal of saving the universe by indiscriminately sacrificing half.

Not just Thanos, but anyone out of time. Younger Gamora, who hasn't had her adventure to see the full extent of what a shithead her dad is and grow into her own person from that, and Older Nebula, who has grown past trying to please Thanos to become his favoite, have essentially switched places. Going forward I'm interested in how that human aspect is going to be reconciled with everyone who came back with five years just missing vs everyone who lived through it.

The only time discrepancy I had a tiny issue with was Loki and the Tesseract. If he escaped with it, that would be how he got it for later... but that escape didn't happen the first time, since there wasn't a second set of time-hopping Avengers. By solving a problem, they created another one. At best, they moved something up slightly, as he apparently did escape with it anyway and was supposed to end up with it. At worst, they created one of those divergent timelines anyhow without realizing it.

In the words of TFS Perfect Cell: "Multiverse theory's a bitch."

Also, another minor annoyance that really didn't bother anyone but me... what the hell was up with Sam's lineup at the end? It really looked like they added a CGI beard and sideburns - and did so unevenly to boot - in that last scene with the shield. If that was his real facial hair, he should fire his barber.

All in all, pretty satisfying to go from Iron Man* to this, especially if one thinks about it not as a shared universe of movies, but essentially a live-action run of a comic continuity. Asterisk because Hulk kinda counts, but not really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Drebin View Post
Loved it.

Almost ruined by a group of 3 or 4 ten year olds behind me who talked through the entire film. Right before that crowd pleasing moment for Cap, kid says "OH THIS IS THE MOST EPIC PART EVER!!!" totally taking me out of the movie. His parents shushed him once or twice but he never really shut up. Thought about casually tossing the remnants of my drink at him but didn't think assaulting a child would look good on my resume.

Hopefully I'll see it again at some point so I can enjoy those parts of the movie.
That's why you ammend your resume to say you run a boy cleaning service on the side to dress up the drink dousing. That's why I'm glad I went during the week at an early showing. Little bastards like that were at school.
Tom Guycott is offline   Reply With Quote