TPWW Forums  

Go Back   TPWW Forums > o f f t o p i c > entertainment forum

Old 10-29-2020, 06:45 PM   #1
teamXtremist
OH u Like IT

teamXtremist is good (20,000+)teamXtremist is good (20,000+)teamXtremist is good (20,000+)teamXtremist is good (20,000+)teamXtremist is good (20,000+)teamXtremist is good (20,000+)teamXtremist is good (20,000+)teamXtremist is good (20,000+)
Best war movies,ranked by war

The most important part of wars are all the kick-ass movies made afterwards. Nothing helps with the horror of sending hundreds of thousands of young men to their deaths better than a finely crafted film to honor them.

Which war generated the most psychological damage that could be expertly exploited on film? That’s what I’m searching for here. Here’s my war movie power rankings, ranked by wars, with the top 3 movies of each war imho.

*note: the movies need to mostly deal with the war itself, so no Holocaust movies on my list (half of you don’t even believe it happened anyways, amirite?)

1. Vietnam
Best Movies: Apocalypse Now, Full Metal Jacket, Platoon

Definitely the war movie war GOAT, mainly due to Baby Boomers needing a way to cope with getting their asses kicked by malnourished 5 foot tall gooks hiding in trees.

2. WWII
Best Movies: Saving Private Ryan, Thin Red Line, Inglourious Basterds

The easiest low hanging fruit of war movie wars. Lots of nostalgia for the Greatest Generation, the apex of the American military, etc. An oversaturated market of movies, this well of psychological horror was tapped dry years ago.

3. WWI
Best Movies: 1917, Gallipoli, Paths Of War

The best movie here is actually They Shall Not Grow Old, but no do entaries. I don’t care about seeing actual human suffering, just the glistening beautiful fake human suffering portrayed by Robert Pattinson.

4. Iraq War: The Halliburton Oil Slaves Remix Edition
Best Movies: The Hurt Locker, American Sniper, Zero Dark Thirty

The most effective movies of this war eschew the whole “ruminate on the awfulness of war” angle and just go for the “killing towelheads is kick-ass!” experience.

5. Civil War
Best Movies: Glory, Gettysburg, Cold Mountain

I find most of these movies to be slow and tedious. I prefer when Hollywood exploits slavery for tears and awards, but those movies don’t qualify for my list.

6. Korean War
Best Movies: MASH, Taegukgi, Pork Chop Hill

As much as I love seeing some Red Army zipperheads get domed, anything done in the Korean War got done better by Vietnam.

7. Iraq War: The OG Desert Storm Edition
Best Movies: Three Kings, Jarhead, In The Army Now

Pretty shitty war on top of being a shitty war movie
teamXtremist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 06:55 PM   #2
Lock Jaw
Loque Ja

Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
8. Star Wars
Lock Jaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 07:16 AM   #3
Droford

Droford makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Droford makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Droford makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Droford makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Droford makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Droford makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Droford makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Droford makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Droford makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Droford makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Droford makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Droford makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Droford makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Gulf War - courage under fire
French/Indian War - Last of the Mohicans

Also Patton should be in your WW2 list over Inglorious Basterds

Also I see WW1 in in style but I dont think there's been a version of All Quiet on the Western Front in 90 years and I read that book in HS so id like to see a remake

Its also very annoying the only movie I know of about the US Revolutionary War is the Patriot which is a shitty movie

The only movie I know about from the War of 1812 is Mohawk which just came out. I saw it cause it had Luke Harper in it, so you know it sucked

Last edited by Droford; 10-30-2020 at 07:34 AM.
Droford is offline   Reply With Quote