TPWW Forums  

Go Back   TPWW Forums > o f f t o p i c > entertainment forum

Old 03-18-2019, 11:18 AM   #1
Jordan
It's a blood match!

Jordan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jordan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jordan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jordan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jordan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jordan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jordan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jordan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jordan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jordan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jordan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jordan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jordan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
The Dawn Wall vs Free Solo

Free Solo (2018) available on Hulu and The Dawn Wall (2017) available on Netflix are both insane rock climbing documentaries centering around three insane climbers scaling El Capitan, a 3,000 foot basically vertical wall, one of the largest in the world located in Yosemite National Park.

Free Solo recently won the Academy Award for best Documentary. The Dawn Wall doesn't have similar critical acclaim but for my money is far more compelling movie than Free Solo, which in it's own way is much more insane than the story of The Dawn Wall... Why?

The Dawn Wall centers around Tommy Caldwell, a very endearing rock climbing guru who at the age of 15 was one of the foremost pioneers in extreme free climbing. The Dawn Wall has an incredible backstory for Tommy which features acts of heroism when he is taken captive by Guerrillas on an expedition abroad.

Free Solo is centered around Alex Honnold a character who is happiest at a distance from people, preferable on the face of giant rocks with no harness. He free solo's all of his challenges. That means no rope, no partner. Just one guy with some chalk in a bag climbing up gigantic monoliths.

Both of them aspire to scale El Capitan, on different paths. The path Tommy takes would likely be impossible, even for Alex to scale without ropes or a partner, but that doesn't take away from either climbers challenge or success or potential failure.

So, have you seen both of these movies? The go hand in hand. Which did you like better?

I loved The Dawn Wall it's a really fantastic movie watching experience. Truly Free Solo should have felt the same way but Alex is such an introvert and an asshole that it's just not as enjoyable.

Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 01:54 PM   #2
slik
Trickster Demon

slik makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)slik makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)slik makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)slik makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)slik makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)slik makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)slik makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)slik makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)slik makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)slik makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)slik makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)slik makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)slik makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
I've only seen Free Solo, which I really liked overall (so tense, great cinematography). I will have to check out The Dawn Wall sometime now too.
slik is offline   Reply With Quote