TPWW Forums  

Go Back   TPWW Forums > o f f t o p i c > entertainment forum

Old 09-18-2011, 03:21 PM   #1881
#BROKEN Hasney
BAY BAY

#BROKEN Hasney makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)#BROKEN Hasney makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)#BROKEN Hasney makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)#BROKEN Hasney makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)#BROKEN Hasney makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)#BROKEN Hasney makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)#BROKEN Hasney makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)#BROKEN Hasney makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)#BROKEN Hasney makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)#BROKEN Hasney makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)#BROKEN Hasney makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)#BROKEN Hasney makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)#BROKEN Hasney makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Exclamation

Beautiful. I clearly have a lot of moderating to learn
#BROKEN Hasney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 03:42 PM   #1882
The Destroyer
Baird

The Destroyer makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)The Destroyer makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)The Destroyer makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)The Destroyer makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)The Destroyer makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)The Destroyer makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)The Destroyer makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)The Destroyer makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)The Destroyer makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)The Destroyer makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)The Destroyer makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)The Destroyer makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)The Destroyer makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
This is how it's done.
The Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 03:56 PM   #1883
Sixx
LUV CABBAGE/H8 JEWS

Sixx makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Sixx makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Sixx makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Sixx makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Sixx makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Sixx makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Sixx makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Sixx makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Sixx makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Sixx makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Sixx makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Sixx makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Sixx makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
So how about this Kalyx dude?

I hear he likes dicks.
Sixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 05:57 PM   #1884
LuigiD

LuigiD has a good deal of rep (10,000+)LuigiD has a good deal of rep (10,000+)LuigiD has a good deal of rep (10,000+)LuigiD has a good deal of rep (10,000+)LuigiD has a good deal of rep (10,000+)LuigiD has a good deal of rep (10,000+)
Apparently there was a John Stewart cameo by Nick Jones Jr. for Green Lantern filmed but it got cut. Fucking appalled at how much they dropped the ball with the Green Lantern film.
LuigiD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 06:38 PM   #1885
Damian Rey

Damian Rey puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)Damian Rey puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)Damian Rey puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)Damian Rey puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)Damian Rey puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)Damian Rey puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)Damian Rey puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)Damian Rey puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)Damian Rey puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)
Hopefully, in about 5 years time, Warner pulls a Marvel and reboots Green Lantern all together ala Hulk.

I was super excited at the idea of the movie, until I read reviews.
Damian Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 03:40 PM   #1886
Nowhere Man
Now. Here. Man.

Nowhere Man got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Nowhere Man got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Nowhere Man got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Nowhere Man got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Nowhere Man got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Nowhere Man got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Nowhere Man got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Nowhere Man got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Nowhere Man got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Nowhere Man got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Nowhere Man got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Nowhere Man got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)
Nowhere Man takes on the New 52, Week 3!!!!

Batman:

SPOILER: show
Like Green Lantern, Batman's continuity is pretty much unchanged, so there's no 'fresh start' to be had here. What we do have, though, is a really good jumping-on point, showing the awesome gadgets that Bruce is sporting these days, setting up the current status quo, and then throwing a bigass wrench in the works at the very end to get you into the next one. I also really liked the interaction between Batman and Harvey Bullock; it's nice to see Bats chat with cops that aren't Jim Gordon. The art's very nice as well.

Birds of Prey:

This one was.....mediocre. I mean, the artwork is nice (though Black Canary's new costume is kind of ugly) and it does its job of setting things up, but there's nothing really to make it work. Plus, the framing of the story, constantly switching between flashbacks and the present, was jarring and poorly constructed. And what's up with Barbara being against Dinah forming a new team? I mean, you'd think she would be on board at the drop of a hat, considering she can walk again now. It's nothing offensively bad, but it's also kind of slapped together and ultimately very forgettable.

Blue Beetle:

Seriously, can we please get Ted Kord back? I've been missing the Beetle/Booster duo for about five years now, and DC's never really done anything to make me like the new kid. It's annoying enough that their version of expanding diversity in their superhero lineups comes not from creating new and original characters that would appeal to the demographic they're meant to represent, but instead by killing off existing characters and replacing them with acceptably 'diverse' ones. It's even more annoying that they continue to shove a character down the audience's throat who has no interesting characteristics beyond his ethnicity.

Also, it annoys me to no end how they feel the need to hammer home the fact that he's Latino by having him speak nearly a complete sentence in English, then pick out one or two random words and say them in Spanish. That just seems cartoony. Granted, it's not as bad as in, say, Assassin's Creed II when everyone's Italian and it's assumed that they're speaking in Italian and the audience just hears it in English so you don't have to read subtitles, but then they'd pick random words and say them in Italian anyway, so it's like they're speaking double-Italian. In Blue Beetle, I can accept them being bi-lingual, even if it comes off as extremely forced.

Anyway, rant aside, this comic was serviceable. It did its job of setting up what the Scarab does, who's out to get it, and why. Plus the art really fits the tone of the comic, methinks. Overall, it's an okay comic, but like Birds of Prey, not a particularly memorable one.

Captain Atom:

This was an interesting book. I liked that Atom's got a bit more personality than he's usually portrayed, and the angle they're doing with his powers is pretty entertaining. The art seems like kind of a love-it-or-hate-it sort of stylistic choice (I personally did not care for it), but overall it's a solid book.

Catwoman:

Hey, I don't know if you're in the know on this, but.....are you aware that Catwoman has breasts? Because the writers apparently feel that raising awareness of Catwoman's breasts is a major issue in this day and age. I get that she's supposed to be the femme fatale character who uses her sex appeal to get her way, but I honestly cannot imagine being able to read this comic in public and not feel like an enormous pervert. Also, the ending where she has sex with Batman pretty much came out of nowhere, and seems like they blew their load way too early with that, both figuratively and literally.

Green Lantern Corps:

I really enjoyed this one. Guy Gardner and Jon Stewart play off each other really well, as both of them have trouble dealing with their 'down-time' and coping with the fact that they're usually redundant when you've got Hal and Kyle around. They also set up a rather interesting new threat for the GLC, one that should make for a very entertaining story.

Legion of Super-Heroes:

I am absolutely bowled over by how much I don't care about the Legion of Super-Heroes. And like too many of the lesser titles in the DCnU lineup, this comic didn't do much of anything to warm me up to them. Like Legion Lost, there's no real jumping-on point for new readers, so the whole thing feels really inaccessible unless you've already read the Legion before. I didn't actively hate the book, but it completely failed to get me to care about it.

Nightwing:

In terms of storyline, this one felt very weak, as a lot of it was just Dick putzing around until the last few pages. In terms of character, though, this one was great. Out of everyone in the Batman universe, Dick feels like the most developed and matured character, seeing how far he's come over the years, and it's nice to just follow him around and get back in touch with himself. The ending was a little jarring, though, but it did leave me wanting answers, and that's kind of the point of a detective story. Anyway, even if it did kind of drag its feet, I really liked it.

Red Hood And The Outlaws:

I've never cared about Roy Harper, and in my opinion the most worthwhile thing Jason Todd ever did was get killed. They played off each other fairly well, though. What really bugged me, though, was their treatment of Starfire. It's like they all sat down, looked at Harley Quinn's trashy new outfit, then went "okay, we're really going to have to apply ourselves if we want to make Stafire even more pointlessly skanky than that," and by gum, they pulled it off. I mean, now she's a flighty slut who doesn't remember any of her romance with Dick or her tenure on the Teen Titans because "human stuff is boring, now let's fuck." It's like she was written by a 13-year-old; nothing beyond pure wank material. And considering she's already boning both Jason and Roy at the same time, right now the only major long-term plot development they've got is when they're going to attempt a spit-roast on her. The art's nice, but the writing is drivel, and reinforces the stereotype that comic-fans are in dire need of getting laid.

Supergirl:

There isn't much going on here story-wise, although it does have a rather nice action sequence. Unfortunately, since the action sequence takes up the majority of the book, you plow through it really quickly and feel like you've only read half a comic. On the plus side, it does do a good job of making Supergirl rather sympathetic, showing how disoriented and confused she is arriving on an alien planet. A decent showing, and hopefully it'll get better as it goes.

Wonder Woman:

This one I was not expecting to like, let alone love. And I was wrong. This is one of the most intriguing and exciting takes on the WW mythos I've ever seen. Shifting gears away from being a traditional superhero comic and more towards mythological horror is a big step in the right direction, as it carves out a niche for Wonder Woman to excel on her own, without drawing comparisons to Superman and Batman (plus she can do the regular cape-and-tights stuff in Justice League). Having the Greek gods portrayed as unsympathetic bastards wandering around the real world doing fucked-up things is good too, as it gives Diana a way better cast of villains than her usual stuff, and calls up shades of Neil Gaiman. Wonder Woman's been needing an exciting new take on her franchise to justify her spot on the A-list for a long time now, and this absolutely gets the job done.
Nowhere Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 07:33 PM   #1887
Lock Jaw
Loque Ja

Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Lock Jaw Reviews The New 52 Week #3

Birds of Prey #1

This book really seems to have lost all of its charm. The only returning character is Black Canary, in a pretty iffy redesign. No idea what her continuity is supposed to be.

Apparently, though, everybody thinks that the Birds of Prey are a villain team (but they are not). Kinda taking a page from Black Canary's first appearances in the 40s.

New character named Starling, who seems kind of really generic, and possibly supposed to be a replacement for Lady Blackhawk, but without any of the charm. Full of tattoos that you just know artists are gonna get lazy drawing.

Catwoman #1

Selina seems to have taken a swing back towards moral ambiguity big time. It seems that she no longer know who Batman is, so that is at least one thing in the Bat-World that has been retconned. They have had "sex" though. Anyways, interesting enough read. Nothing special, but not terrible or anything. Catwoman seems extra slutty or something in the DCnU.

Green Lantern Corps #1

Pretty standard stuff here. I enjoyed this before the reboot, and since it has not changed much, I am sure I will enjoy it after. It does not seem to be as heavily invested in following up War of the Green Lanterns. In that nothing from it is mentioned at all.

Nightwing #1

Was looking forward to this one since I have grown to love Dick. Dick Grayson, I mean. I would have loved if he was still Batman, but this was still a solid read. Was worried that they were going to "mess him up" somehow. Looks like they haven't. I'd still like to know why exactly he stopped being Batman/see the conversation with him and Bruce where it was decided.

Wonder Woman #1

Kind of starts abruptly, took me halfway through the book, and a second "skim" through the book just to understand what was going on. I like her costume more than her "Odyssey" one, though I am not sure why they didn't just make the silver parts gold like they used to be.

Batman #1

Not much to say. It was Batman. Mysterious killings and whatnots. Standard Bat-Stuff. EXCEPT FOR ONE THING. The Riddler seems to have been redesigned so that he is bald, save for a "mohawk" in the shape of a question mark. Terrible.

Blue Beetle #1

Interesting. This seems to be going for a complete reboot, starting with an origin story. Certainly, I imagine Blue Beetle is more popular now due to his cartoon appearances in Brave and the Bold, so I guess they are trying to connect with that audience by starting from the beginning.

A lot of it is really similar, but at the same time, there seems to be slight differences. Hopefully they can get through the origins of the Scarab and the inevitable confrontation with The Reach without repeating the story from the old universe.

Captain Atom #1

No explanations really as to his origins, or who he is. Luckily, I already know all that. Well, the old version anyways. This version seems to be getting new powers/less human. It is ok.

DC Universe Presents #1

I assume this is gonna be a series to spotlight various characters who don't have books of their own. The first arc is featuring Deadman. I thought it did a real good job setting up who this character was, what he could do, and created interest in seeing where it would go from here. Definitely has me in for a second issue.

Legion of Super-Heroes #1

No reboot for these guys. Directly continuing from the last series, it seems. Probably massively confusing for new readers. The Legion is one of those things that I think is very difficult to get into. I only got into the Legion with the Mark Waid reboot, and then Geoff Johns bringing them back in Action Comics. Before that, it just seemed too much to jump in to. That said, I liked this better than Legion Lost. If only because it made more freaking sense.

One thing I did notice is that in both Legion Lost and now this, there were references to "The Flashpoint Effect" in the context of time travel. Braniac 5 even said in this issue that they could not go back in time for Superman's help anymore because of it. Interesting. And confusing.

Supergirl #1

Hmmm. I actually found myself enjoying this one. Her costume is terrible, though. I wasn't looking forward to them doing the whole Supergirl is new to the planet/confused/alienated thing again, especially since the last Supergirl was just finding her groove. However, it already seems better than the old Supergirl series was early on. Costume is terrible though, and Superman appears on the last page, pissing me off with his costume too. Looking forward to the next issue.

Red Hood and The Outlaws #1

Wow. Wow. I.... this is the probably the worst thing to come out of this new reboot. They seem to have turned Roy Harper (Arsenal) into a mercenary killer. They have turned Starfire into a massive alien slut. Also redesigning her costume to somehow show even more skin then it already did. But somehow, the old Teen Titans are still in continuity. Even though I have no idea how Roy or Starfire could ever be on such a team.

The only positive I'll give this book, is Jason Todd seems alright. Seems less "serious business" than before. More laid back and relaxed. That said, I still don't really care for him.

But yeah, this book was just horrendous. Worse than Superman's redesign bad.
Lock Jaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 07:36 PM   #1888
Lock Jaw
Loque Ja

Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Week #3 Rankings:

1) Nightwing
2) DC Universe Presents
3) Green Lantern Corps
4) Supergirl
5) Batman
6) Blue Beetle
7) Wonder Woman
8) Captain Atom
9) Catwoman
10) Birds of Prey
11) Legion of Super-Heroes
12) Red Hood and The Outlaws
Old 09-27-2011, 09:12 AM   #1889
Fox
"Ask him!"

Fox has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Fox has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Fox has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Fox has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Fox has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Fox has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Fox has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Fox has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Fox has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Fox has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperHeroHype.com
Last week it was announced that the next feature-length animated DC Universe film would be titled Justice League: Doom and would debut its trailer at the upcoming New York Comic-Con. Today, TV Guide has a update and a look at the voice cast.

Doom will be based on Mark Waid's "Tower of Babel," a story that ran in JLA #43-46 and that featured Ra's al Ghul stealing Batman's secret files that explain how to defeat each member of the Justice League. Not only does the team have to contend with the onslaught of specially-focused attacks but also the betrayal of their teammate and friend.

Kevin Conroy will return as Batman, Tim Daly as Superman, Nathan Fillion as Green Lantern, Michael Rosenbaum as the Flash, Carl Lumbly as the Martian Manhunter, Susan Eisenberg as Wonder Woman and, new to the role, Bumper Robinson as Cyborg. Cyborg did not originally appear in the comic book version of the tale and appears to replace Aquaman and Plastic Man for the animated version.
Pretty awesome, IMO.
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 09:33 AM   #1890
LuigiD

LuigiD has a good deal of rep (10,000+)LuigiD has a good deal of rep (10,000+)LuigiD has a good deal of rep (10,000+)LuigiD has a good deal of rep (10,000+)LuigiD has a good deal of rep (10,000+)LuigiD has a good deal of rep (10,000+)
TOWER OF BABEL? I FUCKING LOVE IT!
Old 09-27-2011, 01:16 PM   #1891
Kalyx triaD
Raw Video Footage

Kalyx triaD makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kalyx triaD makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kalyx triaD makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kalyx triaD makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kalyx triaD makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kalyx triaD makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kalyx triaD makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kalyx triaD makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kalyx triaD makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kalyx triaD makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kalyx triaD makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kalyx triaD makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kalyx triaD makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Pretty much a DCAU reunion.
Kalyx triaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 11:24 PM   #1892
Gonzo
feel the madness

Gonzo has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Gonzo has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Gonzo has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Gonzo has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Gonzo has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Gonzo has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Gonzo has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Gonzo has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Gonzo has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Gonzo has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)
I'm brand new to comics. I have some friends that are real heavy into them. I picked up a bunch of the new 52, some at their suggestion and others that looked interesting. I will give you my opinions a la Lock Jaw. Don't be pretentious bastards to me:

Action Comics #1

I don't like the Superman character at all. I never have. Feel like it worked decades ago but is less interesting with time. That said, I liked this book. Superman had a edge to him that was enjoyable.

Legion Lost #1

Maybe it's because I don't know anything about the characters or world of Legion Lost but I felt this story was kind of "meh". Fairly disjointed. I'll give #2 a go but I may drop this.

Detective Comics #1

Fucking sweet. Ending was pretty mental. Interested to see how it develops.

Red Lanterns #1

I thought this book was sweet. I like the art. Don't really know anything about the Lanterns, but I enjoyed the book.

Animal Man #1

Interesting story. Animal Man is an interesting dynamic, speaking from a character perspective.

Demon Knights #1

Like Legion Lost, I didn't really understand who all the characters are. The art is fucking awesome in this book though.

I also got some other books but they aren't DC books.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #1 & #2

Awesome. Brings me back to my childhood. Story arc so far is good. The nucleus is intact but there are some fresh aspects to it. Interested to see how it goes.

Ultimate Comics: The Ultimates #1

Book was sweet. I like the characters involved so maybe I'm predisposed to liking this book. Story arc shows promise.

Haven't read Batman #1 yet. I probably will tomorrow.
Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:48 AM   #1893
Kalyx triaD
Raw Video Footage

Kalyx triaD makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kalyx triaD makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kalyx triaD makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kalyx triaD makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kalyx triaD makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kalyx triaD makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kalyx triaD makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kalyx triaD makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kalyx triaD makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kalyx triaD makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kalyx triaD makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kalyx triaD makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kalyx triaD makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Do Ultimates commentary in the Marvel Movie thread. Good post.
Old 09-28-2011, 03:17 AM   #1894
Nowhere Man
Now. Here. Man.

Nowhere Man got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Nowhere Man got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Nowhere Man got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Nowhere Man got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Nowhere Man got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Nowhere Man got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Nowhere Man got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Nowhere Man got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Nowhere Man got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Nowhere Man got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Nowhere Man got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Nowhere Man got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)
Rather interesting article regarding some of the more, ahem, "liberated" heroines of the New 52, particularly Catwoman and Starfire:

http://www.comicsalliance.com/2011/0...-superheroine/
Old 09-28-2011, 03:54 AM   #1895
Captain of Fun

Captain of Fun has a great deal of rep (15,000+)Captain of Fun has a great deal of rep (15,000+)Captain of Fun has a great deal of rep (15,000+)Captain of Fun has a great deal of rep (15,000+)Captain of Fun has a great deal of rep (15,000+)Captain of Fun has a great deal of rep (15,000+)Captain of Fun has a great deal of rep (15,000+)
Captain of Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 03:10 PM   #1896
Boondock Saint

Boondock Saint is good (20,000+)Boondock Saint is good (20,000+)Boondock Saint is good (20,000+)Boondock Saint is good (20,000+)Boondock Saint is good (20,000+)Boondock Saint is good (20,000+)Boondock Saint is good (20,000+)Boondock Saint is good (20,000+)
Sums it up nicely
Boondock Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 03:35 PM   #1897
dronepool
the low Art Gloominati

dronepool has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)dronepool has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)dronepool has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)dronepool has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)dronepool has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)dronepool has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)dronepool has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)dronepool has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)dronepool has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)dronepool has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)
I actually enjoyed Red Hood, it was entertaining. Besides the Teen Titans cartoon wasn't Starfire was always a bit 'slutty' just not as blunt? The whole Starfire 'controversy' didn't do much for me. I just read her scenes and went on with the book. Thought that kid taking pics was pretty funny. It just sucks that she has 'no memory', that's pretty lame. Either way, I liked how Jason planned the rescue for Roy and the action scenes are what this book entertaining to me.

I probably read around like 10 books from the 52 and this was pretty enjoyable. Not the best, but entertaining.
dronepool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 04:01 PM   #1898
Kalyx triaD
Raw Video Footage

Starfire was fairly g-rated in the cartoon, if anything you got more fan-service from miss goth onesie (her clothes even got 'ravaged' in a particularly good episode). The difference between her and DCnU Starfire are alarming. Even if the book isn't aimed at kids, some consideration for past characterization should have been taken. I mean, classic ongoing Starfire was also dressed slutty, but shades of her cartoon personality were still present. This Starfire is a blatant sex-addicted whore (I dig it, but I don't have that much stock in her anyway).

That panel with Batman and Catwoman makes me more uncomfortable if anything.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:10 PM   #1899
LuigiD

I read the stuff and went on with my life. I didn't find out about the "controversy" until I came online and saw all the bitching. I can see why people are "offended" but I personally don't give a shit. Straight and honest answer.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:27 PM   #1900
Gonzo
feel the madness

Gonzo has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Gonzo has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Gonzo has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Gonzo has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Gonzo has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Gonzo has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Gonzo has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Gonzo has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Gonzo has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Gonzo has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)
Batman #1

Enjoyed this book. I think I'll enjoy following this and Detective Comics at the same time.
Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 02:19 AM   #1901
Lock Jaw
Loque Ja

Lock Jaw Reviews The New 52 Week #4

Superman #1

Looking past his terrible costume... I didn't mind a lot of the changes so much. I like the fact that the Daily Planet is now part of a larger media conglomerate that includes TV/Web stuff. Makes sense. Interesting to have Lois as "the boss" of the TV stuff, as well.

Jimmy Olsen seems to have a bad redesign as well, though. Hoped that was just the Action Comics artist, but it is here as well. He seems to have brown hair, no freckles, and a bowl cut looking thing going on. Makes him look really generic and tough to pick out of a crowd. Only reason I can tell he is Jimmy is because people call him Jimmy.

Anyways, way better than Action Comics.

Aquaman #1

Ahahaha. Not much happens in this issue, but I greatly enjoyed it. Much of the issue deals directly with the fact that nobody likes Aquaman, and how they don't think of him as anything but "That dude who talks to fish". Found it pretty enjoyable. Seems like Johns is gonna try his best to make Aquaman "cool".

Blackhawks #1

Not impressed at all. Not much to really say about this one. High tech united nations military division. That is somehow supposed to be top secret. But plasters their logos on all their uniforms and vehicles. A problem is created when someone snaps a picture of the logo on one of their planes and uploads it to the net.

How about... if you wanted to be secret... don't put logos on everything?

The cast seems iffy in this as well. "Irishman" is not Irish. "Canada" is not from Canada. This one is definitely gonna be canceled sooner rather than later.

Green Lantern: New Guardians #1

Probably the weakest of the Green Lantern books, if only because it spent a few pages retelling Kyle Rayner's origin story. From there, it picked up though. Ending really makes me want to find out what is going on, and where the book is going to go.

I, Vampire #1

Mildly confusing trying to figure out the timeline. Seems like a Good Vampire vs Bad Vampires story. Unless it gets better with the second issue, this is getting canceled quick. Unless people love vampires so much that they continue to buy it.

Teen Titans #1

Extremely crappy. Kid Flash and Wonder Girl are new heroes, seemingly with no ties to The Flash or Wonder Woman. Kid Flash seems like he has taken a step back towards Impulse (but not all the way back), while Wonder Girl seems to be some sort of tough delinquent type.

N.O.W.H.E.R.E., that group from Superboy, seems to be hunting teen heroes for some reason. Red Robin (who also seems different) decides he needs to gather a team. He also lets the bad guys see his face, so presumably they now know his identity, and can possibly even link Batman back to Bruce Wayne. IF they are as big and powerful as they are presented as.

Ends the same way as Superboy #1, with Superboy being released to do N.O.W.H.E.R.E.'s bidding.

The Fury of Firestorm - The Nuclear Men #1

Interesting enough to make me want to read more. Seems like a total reboot for Firestorm as well. Ronnie Raymond and Jason Rusch, the two dudes who were Firestorm in the old universe are both here. Both seem to be Firestorm. Hence the name. Also, there are possibly multiple other Firestorms around the world. Will read to see where this one goes. Thus far, I kinda enjoy the interaction between Ronnie/Jason and the supporting cast. Even if they instantly have to play the race card because one of them is black.

Voodoo #1

Fits right in with the DC New Slut-Verse! Seems to be all about a stripper, who is more than she seems. No idea where this is going. It kept me interested. I liked the art. Of course, both could do with the fact that it was full of women wearing very little or no clothes. I'm not angry about this one or anything, because it is a new character. It isn't like making Starfire a sex-pot or something.

All-Star Western #1

I'd heard good things about the old Jonah Hex series, but never actually got around to reading it. This is by the same team, so I was looking forward to reading it. It did not disappoint. I loved it. Hex comes to Gotham City and is working with Amadeus Arkham to find a serial killer. Pretty great stuff. May have to go back and download the previous series.

Justice League Dark #1

Not sold on it just yet. Don't know how I feel about Madame Xanadu being a character here, and in Camelot times in Demon Knights. Anyways, this is supposed to be a team of Magic people. Team is just forming, so it may get better once they are all formed and together. Overall, though, I think they could have just brought back Shadowpact.

The Flash #1

So, Superman and Lois Lane no longer being together was a big stink. Reading this book I find out that Barry Allen and Iris West are no longer married either. In fact, Barry seems to be dating some other woman. Have to wonder what exactly this means for his continuity. Where does this leave Wally West? Bart Allen? Who is the Kid Flash in Teen Titans? Did Barry ever die?

I DON'T KNOOOOOW!

What I do know is, is that his costume now has pointless lines all over it that glow when he runs fast. Looks crappy.

I think the jury is still out on this book, though. Will see what happens next.

The Savage Hawkman #1

If anyone could use a complete fresh reboot... its Hawkman. Unfortunately, they choose not to do so, and instead choose to make it confusing. They start off by having Carter Hall quitting to be Hawkman for unknown reasons. Making many statements that leave in question his continuity big time. In the end, he somehow gets new powers where his costume bursts out from his skin. His badly redesigned costume. Don't really "dig" what they are doing to Hawkman here at all.

Batman: The Dark Knight #1

Probably the worst of the Batman books. Didn't really care for it. Think it is one Batman book too many, anyways.
Old 09-29-2011, 02:23 AM   #1902
Lock Jaw
Loque Ja

Week 4 Rankings

Felt this was definitely the weakest week. Had a hard time deciding the order of anything but the first two.

1) All-Star Western
2) Aquaman
3) Superman
4) Green Lantern: New Guardians
5) Firestorm
6) The Flash
7) Batman: The Dark Knight
8) Voodoo
9) Justice League Dark
10) The Savage Hawkman
11) Teen Titans
12) I, Vampire
13) Blackhawks
Old 09-29-2011, 04:22 AM   #1903
Fox
"Ask him!"

Fox has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Fox has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Fox has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Fox has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Fox has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Fox has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Fox has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Fox has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Fox has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Fox has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathias Gonzanuka View Post
Batman #1

Enjoyed this book. I think I'll enjoy following this and Detective Comics at the same time.
That's not a spoiler, dude.
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 05:52 AM   #1904
mitchables
bonjour

mitchables makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)mitchables makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)mitchables makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)mitchables makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)mitchables makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)mitchables makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)mitchables makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)mitchables makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)mitchables makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)mitchables makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)mitchables makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)mitchables makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)mitchables makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
echoing the existing sentiment expressed already about starfire (really hate what they've done), another thing that kind of bothered me about the red hood book was that, in the interview that appears in the back of a tonne of the new 52 books, the writer is all "YEAH WE'RE MOVING JASON ON FROM HIS BAT AFFILIATION. BATMAN ONLY GETS MENTIONED TWICE IN THE FIRST TWO ISSUES AND NOT EVEN BY JASON!" but then they've slapped a bat-logo on his chest and thrown one into the series logo too. okay buddy. way to move on.
mitchables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 03:31 AM   #1905
Captain of Fun

Captain of Fun has a great deal of rep (15,000+)Captain of Fun has a great deal of rep (15,000+)Captain of Fun has a great deal of rep (15,000+)Captain of Fun has a great deal of rep (15,000+)Captain of Fun has a great deal of rep (15,000+)Captain of Fun has a great deal of rep (15,000+)Captain of Fun has a great deal of rep (15,000+)
Still haven't read any of it. Dunno if I will. After years of not really caring much for DC, they were finally getting me really interested in a lot of their books, and then this happens. It just seems frustrating, and I don't want to deal with it, so I'm going wait for the inevitable return of the regular DCU. Until that happens, I'm sticking excusively with marvel.
Captain of Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 12:55 AM   #1906
DaveBrawl
Inconceivable

DaveBrawl got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)DaveBrawl got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)DaveBrawl got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)DaveBrawl got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)DaveBrawl got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)DaveBrawl got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)DaveBrawl got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)DaveBrawl got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)DaveBrawl got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)DaveBrawl got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)DaveBrawl got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)DaveBrawl got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)
I picked up Superman #1 and The Savage Hawkman #1 earlier and I have to say I enjoyed them. I didn't think I would enjoy Superman based off of some of the reviews I had seen, but I was pleasantly surprised as it was very enjoyable. Not much really happened in the book, but it was a pretty good standalone issue I thought.

Hawkman I wasn't sure of at all. I haven't read or really even seen the title since the 90's so I have no idea how convoluted it used to be, but I have always loved the look of the character so I figured while I was there, and every other comic I wanted was out of stock, this would be a good starting spot to see if the character was worth getting invested in. I agree with Lock Jaw in that I don't really care for the "suit" coming out through his skin, hated it when Iron Man did it as well, but that's just a minor personal preference. Nothing amazing happened by any means, but it was just simple straightforward storytelling with an interesting battle scene. The issue did it's job, perhaps more so that Superman, it has me anticipating issue #2 and what will happen next.

I was looking into getting a few other books such as Detective Comics, Action Comics, Batman and Green Lantern and all of them were sold out. The guy behind the counter said he had more ordered and they were issuing a second printing for a couple of them and a few were even on a third print. So hopefully this will be a sign of good things to come and not just a sales spike for DC.
DaveBrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 01:00 AM   #1907
DaveBrawl
Inconceivable

DaveBrawl got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)DaveBrawl got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)DaveBrawl got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)DaveBrawl got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)DaveBrawl got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)DaveBrawl got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)DaveBrawl got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)DaveBrawl got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)DaveBrawl got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)DaveBrawl got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)DaveBrawl got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)DaveBrawl got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)
Judging by this new 52 preview issue they had at the store Grifter looks like it could be an interesting book. I saw it on the shelf, but didn't pay much attention to it, but after looking through the preview when I got home I wish I had picked it up.
Old 10-02-2011, 02:26 PM   #1908
Shadow
Shadow Conspircy leader

Shadow got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Shadow got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Shadow got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Shadow got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Shadow got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Shadow got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Shadow got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Shadow got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Shadow got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Shadow got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Shadow got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Shadow got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)
Have you found the Woman In Red?
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 03:05 PM   #1909
DaveBrawl
Inconceivable

I did in Hawkman, she was pretty obvious in that one. Honestly I had forgotten about her, but she's so blatant in there that you can't miss her. I'd have to check Superman, but I'm sure she's in there too.
Old 10-02-2011, 03:06 PM   #1910
DaveBrawl
Inconceivable

Ok went back and flipped through the pages and yeah found her in Superman too.
Old 10-03-2011, 01:29 AM   #1911
Boondock Saint

Boondock Saint is good (20,000+)Boondock Saint is good (20,000+)Boondock Saint is good (20,000+)Boondock Saint is good (20,000+)Boondock Saint is good (20,000+)Boondock Saint is good (20,000+)Boondock Saint is good (20,000+)Boondock Saint is good (20,000+)
Aquaman was fucking great
Boondock Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 01:19 AM   #1912
Nowhere Man
Now. Here. Man.

Okay, so I read Week Four's comics to round out the New 52:

All-Star Western:
I love Jonah Hex. Even though the comic isn't even set in the West and therefore kind of subverts its own title right off the bat, Hex never ceases to entertain. The story was pretty cool, Jonah having to team up with Amadeus Arkham to take on sort of a pastiche of Jack the Ripper, which reminded me a lot of the old "Gotham By Gaslight" Elseworld story. Good times are had by all, except for those who get brutally murdered.

Aquaman:
I may never live this down, but.......Aquaman was my favorite book this week. It did a great job of showcasing him as an actually effective badass without making him a tool or a Namor ripoff, and hilariously poked fun at the common perception of him. Also, Anglerfish-people? Thanks, now one of my actual recurring nightmares has been committed to print.

Batman: The Dark Knight:
Whew, this one was a stinker. The artwork was sloppy, the story was clunky, and the whole thing just felt completely unnecessary. This was one Bat-book too many, and it shows.

Blackhawk:
I actually kinda liked it. It had sort of a GI Joe feel to it, which I thought was fun, even if the organization is yet another to pile onto DC's overcrowded market for shady top-secret societies. At the very least, everyone on the team seems to like each other more or less, which is a refreshing change from every team being a giant never-ending pissing contest.

The Flash:
Really fun comic. The artwork is perfectly suited for Flash, and while I see Barry and Iris have been separated by DC's apparent revulsion to the idea of couples being married, the character interaction works. Not a whole lot of action, but it does a nice job of setting everything in place for when it does start to pick up.

The Fury of Firestorm:
I really, really could not get into this book. Maybe it's because it starts with yet another shady secret organization trying to chase down the superhero. Maybe it's because of the very-special-episode vibe I got when Raymond asks his mom "why don't we have any black friends?" Maybe it's because Firestorm has always looked fucking ridiculous and now there's two of them. Either way, I didn't care about this book before, during, or after reading it.

Green Lantern: The New Guardians:
On the plus side, Kyle Rayner finally gets his own book again. On the down side, it's really weak. Kyle's suddenly a ring-magnet, and apparently all the different Corps are out to get him. It's a decent enough concept, but overall the execution is just kind of meh. Plus, I know a lot of people like it, but I hate that mask they keep giving Kyle that makes him look like he doesn't have a nose.

I, Vampire:
Very cool concept, very cool artwork, very cool book. I like the idea of vampires having to sort of scrape by in the shadows because the world's population of superheroes would just wipe the floor with them; it actually makes sense, as opposed to lots of vampire franchises where they stay hidden just because. I wasn't expecting much of anything out of this book, and was very pleasantly surprised by it. The DCnU seems to have an awful lot of these 'sleeper hit' comics, at least in month 1.

Justice League Dark:
I like the idea of having a division of the Justice League specifically devoted to occultism. Unfortunately, I know next to nothing about any of the members except for Zatanna and Constantine (and Deadman, but he isn't actually in the book yet). I do think they kind of missed the boat by not including a few more famous magic-powered heroes like Captain Marvel or Raven (not to say Zatanna isn't famous) or some really heavy-hitters like Phantom Stranger or Doctor Fate. It was interesting and crazy, but I don't think it was interesting enough to keep reading. Gotta agree with Lock Jaw, in that it really should have been Shadowpact.

The Savage Hawkman:
Okay, I didn't read this one. But I'll wager good money nobody else did either. I mean, c'mon, it's freaking Hawkman.

Superman:
My first impression was "Good God, that is a horrendous cover." I still hate Superman's stupid new armor look, and the shoddy cover art really doesn't do it any favors. Inside, the artwork is much better, fortunately, and I actually really like the potential the new status quo has: Perry and the Planet crew have to deal with the phasing-out of print in the digital age, Jimmy's got a sidekick of his own, Lois has to struggle balancing her journalistic integrity with the perks of working for Morgan Edge, etc. Clark didn't come off as particularly likeable, as he was either whiny or angry the whole time (On the great big list of Things Superman Should Never Ever Say, yelling out "Bull!" isn't quite up there with "I'm your worst nightmare," but it's in the top ten). Unfortunately, it's also really, really talky--nobody shuts the hell up, even while Superman's fighting a giant fire-monster. It gets from point A to point B, but it takes so goddamn long to get there that what could have been an excellent comic is merely a mediocre one.

Teen Titans:
Again, more superheroes being chased by shady g-men types. Apparently Tim Drake (who at one point stops to fondly reminisce about when he was actually allowed to be part of the Batman franchise) is the only one of the Titans who was an actual sidekick, as neither Kid Flash or Wonder Girl is associated with their namesakes (which makes me wonder why the hell Kid Flash isn't Impulse). I wouldn't go so far as to call it a bad comic, but it's a very forgettable one.

Voodoo:
A bisexual stripper who dances and shows off her tits for men's enjoyment, but then is revealed to be a shape-changing man-eating monster from another planet, who can't be trusted because she'll eat you alive when your guard is down. Y'know....this speaks volumes about DC's attitude towards women.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:46 PM   #1913
DaveBrawl
Inconceivable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhere Man View Post
The Savage Hawkman:
Okay, I didn't read this one. But I'll wager good money nobody else did either. I mean, c'mon, it's freaking Hawkman.
Old 10-04-2011, 06:06 PM   #1914
Kalyx triaD
Raw Video Footage

Old 10-04-2011, 07:51 PM   #1915
Kalyx triaD
Raw Video Footage

Old 10-06-2011, 01:24 AM   #1916
Nowhere Man
Now. Here. Man.

Yikes. That's........something.
Old 10-06-2011, 02:11 AM   #1917
Lock Jaw
Loque Ja

Action Comics #2 is a slight improvement. Only thing that took me as a real "" moment, was
Superman threatens to break Lex Luthor's neck if he doesn't give his cape back.

Continued to really enjoy Animal Man. Enjoyed Swamp Thing as well. Seems like these two are somehow "connected tangentially".

Also continued to enjoy Justice League International. Probably the only "team" book that I am enjoying.
Old 10-06-2011, 02:34 AM   #1918
Kalyx triaD
Raw Video Footage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhere Man View Post
Yikes. That's........something.
I gave The Batman a hard time, turned out to be good. Gave Brave and Bold a hard time, turned out to be good. Beware the Batman looks weird with Katana and Alfred all gun toting but hey, it may work.
Old 10-09-2011, 09:04 AM   #1919
Fanny

Fanny has more than 1,000 rep points (1,000+)Fanny has more than 1,000 rep points (1,000+)
shouldn't the Jor-El pic be in spopiler tags at least??
Fanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 11:09 AM   #1920
Kalyx triaD
Raw Video Footage

I wouldn't consider that spoilerish, but I will be more careful.