PDA

View Full Version : They Should Have Been (Or Should Be) Champ

Providence Peep
07-14-2010, 11:21 PM
There's been a ton of guys who have been WWE/World (Heavyweight) Champion over the years, but the list of (former) Superstars who have never held the gold is almost just as impressive. Guys like Orndorff, Piper, Hennig, Bundy, Snuka, Steamboat, and DiBiase all come to mind immediately.

In this thread, let's answer these questions:

Who was/were your favorite WWE/World (Heavyweight) Champion or Champions, and why?

Which present or former WWE Superstar would you like to see/have seen as Champ, and why?

I'll think about my answers and post them soon.

Tazz Dan
07-14-2010, 11:22 PM
Didn't we do this thread last month? And the one before that?

Providence Peep
07-14-2010, 11:23 PM
Didn't we do this thread last month? And the one before that?

I guess I missed it... besides, people might give different answers now.

Schlomey
07-14-2010, 11:24 PM
Jake The Snake but we all know why he didn't get any gold.....

Xero
07-14-2010, 11:25 PM
Please don't PM me after this.

Stop making threads.

SaskatchewanChamp
07-14-2010, 11:27 PM
Please don't PM me after this.

Stop making threads.

Lighten up mate.

My Answer: Mr. Perfect. ( Heavyweight Champ)

VSG
07-14-2010, 11:27 PM
Vader. Why not?

Schlomey
07-14-2010, 11:28 PM
Vader in WWF didn't go very well. Vader and the rest of the world...now thats' another story!

Providence Peep
07-14-2010, 11:33 PM

One of the greatest heels in the history of the business. Look at his heel runs in '86 and when he turned again on Savage in '91. Just fucking classic. His promos and ring psychology were unmatched when he was at his best. Just unfortunate that his "demons" were his downfall.

Providence Peep
07-14-2010, 11:44 PM
Vader in WWF didn't go very well. Vader and the rest of the world...now thats' another story!

He probably should have won the belt at SummerFest '96. :shifty:

One of the best big men I have ever seen in the ring and had everything it took to make as Champ - mic skills, athleticism, the right look (at the time)... For a man his size to be able to do moonsaults and some of the other stuff he did was simply AMAZING.

The very first time I ever got interested in anything WCW did was when Vader was feuding with Sting, and for the life of me I can't understand why WWE totally fucked up Vader's career. They brought him in with such momentum, and by the time he left in 1998 he was jobbing cleanly to D-Lo Brown on Sunday Night Heat. They took a monster, who could get over as either a face or a heel and totally turned him into a joke.

BollywoodSingh
07-14-2010, 11:56 PM
There's been a ton of guys who have been WWE/World (Heavyweight) Champion over the years, but the list of (former) Superstars who have never held the gold is almost just as impressive. Guys like Orndorff, Piper, Hennig, Bundy, Snuka, Steamboat, and DiBiase all come to mind immediately.

Here you are just naming top guys that never won the World Title, when realistically, it would have been impossible for all those guys to have won the title. All 7 of those guys' days on top were around the same time. There would be no opportunity for these guys to win especially when Hogan was the star then. Even if 1 of these guys should have been champ, who's title reign would you have taken away or shorten?

I'm just saying there's a difference between "Should have been champ" and "Best wrestlers to never win the title".

Juan
07-15-2010, 12:02 AM
I guess this is one of those topics that will never die and will come up every month or so.

People need to either go back and read old threads or learn how to use the search function.

Providence Peep
07-15-2010, 12:50 AM
Here you are just naming top guys that never won the World Title, when realistically, it would have been impossible for all those guys to have won the title.

Good point. I just think it would have been cool to see more of them win it, that's all. I feel like a lot of guys never got their due, ya know? And there are probably guys there now who won't ever get the belt, either, though I think they could make great champs.

Aguakate
07-15-2010, 01:25 AM
Who was/were your favorite WWE/World (Heavyweight) Champion or Champions, and why?

Bret Hart in '97, as the "Canadian Hero/Anti American"...the promos and the feud with DX was just awesome.

Also, HBK's run with DX in late '97-early '98 was nice.

Which present or former WWE Superstar would you like to see/have seen as Champ, and why?

So many...British Bulldog in '95 or '96, Mr Perfect, Scott Hall (both as Razor Ramon in WWF and Scott Hall in WCW), Owen Hart in '94, Goldust (early Goldust...uknow, the freaky one)...etc.

Tazz Dan
07-15-2010, 01:39 AM
I guess this is one of those topics that will never die and will come up every month or so.

People need to either go back and read old threads or learn how to use the search function.

Or not post?

Aguakate
07-15-2010, 01:54 AM
Come on, people...ALL of us at one point or another have been "newbies"...so chill out.

Godfather4Life
07-15-2010, 02:35 AM
just gonna name people that should have been heavy weight champ...Ted Dibiase, Bulldog, Perfect, Steamboat, big bossman (as a face he was very over in his first wwf stint IMO...ehh that's good for now. We should start a thread who would be champ if Hogan was never in WWF...b/c the title probably would have changed hands more often (maybe)

Providence Peep
07-15-2010, 09:52 AM
We should start a thread who would be champ if Hogan was never in WWF...b/c the title probably would have changed hands more often (maybe)

Apparently us less experienced posters aren't allowed to start thread. If we do, we're committing a federal crime. You're right, though, if Hogan had never been in the company, the title might have changed hands more often. I think Ricky Steamboat, an all-time great and legendary wrestler who combined strength, technical skill, martial arts, and aerial wrestling, could have carried the company very well as champ (at least for a while).

Then again, I guess with more than a thousand posts I'm still considered a "newbie" here, so I'm not allowed to have an opinion.

Steveviscious89
07-15-2010, 10:11 AM
just gonna name people that should have been heavy weight champ...Ted Dibiase, Bulldog, Perfect, Steamboat, big bossman (as a face he was very over in his first wwf stint IMO...ehh that's good for now. We should start a thread who would be champ if Hogan was never in WWF...b/c the title probably would have changed hands more often (maybe)

If Hogan was not ever in the WWF then it is doubtful we would be having this discussion.

Providence Peep
07-15-2010, 10:16 AM
If Hogan was not ever in the WWF then it is doubtful we would be having this discussion.

You may be right..... although, I do think Steamboat and a few other guys might have been able to carry the company if Hogan hadn't been there. McMahon would have just picked someone else.

bigslimjj
07-15-2010, 10:17 AM
Kane.Oh wait a minute...he did have the belt for less then 24hrs,over 10 years ago.

Gertner
07-15-2010, 10:34 AM
Paul Roma

Ermaximus
07-15-2010, 10:44 AM
Apparently us less experienced posters aren't allowed to start thread. If we do, we're committing a federal crime. You're right, though, if Hogan had never been in the company, the title might have changed hands more often. I think Ricky Steamboat, an all-time great and legendary wrestler who combined strength, technical skill, martial arts, and aerial wrestling, could have carried the company very well as champ (at least for a while).

Then again, I guess with more than a thousand posts I'm still considered a "newbie" here, so I'm not allowed to have an opinion.

They never said you couldn't start new threads, they would just prefer you not to restart threads that are already made is all. Pretty sure nobody here would complain about original thread topics as opposed to seeing the same one 10 times a year is all.

Volare
07-15-2010, 10:47 AM

Simple, cause he would've pawned it for coke.

Providence Peep
07-15-2010, 10:55 AM
Kane.Oh wait a minute...he did have the belt for less then 24hrs,over 10 years ago.

Kane deserves much better than what he is getting. He is one of the most dedicated persons on the WWE roster and it's a total shame that he has got absolutely nothing in return for his services. On the other hand, I read several on-line articles which stated Kane doesn't care about "winning" the belt, and is happy putting guys over as opposed to having all the focus on himself.

bigslimjj
07-15-2010, 11:02 AM
Kane deserves much better than what he is getting. He is one of the most dedicated persons on the WWE roster and it's a total shame that he has got absolutely nothing in return for his services. On the other hand, I read several on-line articles which stated Kane doesn't care about "winning" the belt, and is happy putting guys over as opposed to having all the focus on himself.
yea i don't think he really cares but as a long time fan of his I'd like to see them give him a little more respect.Even if just for a month or two.He's on smackdown for cripes sake.If he wins it and then a new star beats him for it...that's pushing them too.Everyone wins!

Providence Peep
07-15-2010, 11:12 AM
yea i don't think he really cares but as a long time fan of his I'd like to see them give him a little more respect.Even if just for a month or two.He's on smackdown for cripes sake.If he wins it and then a new star beats him for it...that's pushing them too.Everyone wins!

Yeah, I mean even if he himself doesn't want a championship reign, why doesn't the company at least put him in a decent feud with someone? His feud with Shane McMahon was somewhat believable, because it wasn't two big guys trying to kill each other with chops to the head. The 100 pound size difference was forcing Shane to fight for his life; not to mention Kane's character was scary at the time, not really the piece of laid-back JTTS act it is now.

Biggz
07-15-2010, 11:24 AM
Dibiase, Piper and Hennig. They all had the it factor. They all had charisma, good mic skills and could perform well in the ring. Despite all this they all got robbed by never being able to hold the WWF/E Heavyweight title.

Schlomey
07-15-2010, 11:26 AM
Wonder why Piper never got above the IC title yet Bret did. Piper was more charasmatic and a better talker than Bret and was over......

Anyone know ? Politics?

Providence Peep
07-15-2010, 11:49 AM
Roddy Piper: Maybe the greatest heel in WWE history, and probably the most important. Hogan had to have somebody great to be his rival and Piper was the perfect guy. Great mic skills, very crafty in the ring, and pound for pound one of the best brawlers of all time. Was a great good guy, as evidenced by his runs in Mid Atlantic, WWE, and even WCW. I don't know why he was never allowed to be Champ in the WWE, but I guess because Hogan was hogging the spotlight back then.

jskinnyg
07-15-2010, 11:55 AM

Yup...:yes::yes::yes:

Seth82
07-15-2010, 11:55 AM
Ricky Steamboat
Rick Rude
Don Muraco
Tito Santana

Providence Peep
07-15-2010, 12:09 PM
Tito Santana

Arriba! One of wrestling's top "good guys" for over two decades and the first ever Mexican-American IC Champ. He and Greg Valentine had one of the best feuds of all time - an angle that sold out venues just as much as the one's Hogan's attracted.

I wonder what would have happened if Vince had decided to go international by way of Mexico, instead of Canada. The decision didn't sit well with Tito and eventually led to his retirement.

"I was disappointed..you know..when they decided to give Bret the title. Both Pat Patterson and Vince McMahon came and told me that they spent a lot of times in the meetings deciding between me and Bret Hart. You know and i wasn't very happy of course. I hated the gimmick the Matador... and why i eventually retired from the WWF shortly after that." ~Tito Santana

erictheking
07-15-2010, 01:28 PM
I'm gonna go with the Bulldog... but then I am from Ing-er-lund. I'm a newbie too - does my opinion count?

Schlomey
07-15-2010, 01:38 PM
yes your opinion counts. Newbs have a rough time being heard around here but as long as you don't come off as an obnoxious little punk you will be fine.

Bulldog is a good topic. He was a good candidate to win the WWF title at the height of his popularity and kind of surprised it never happened for him.

Gertner
07-15-2010, 01:44 PM
Sorry, your opinion doesn't count until 1000 posts. We'll just file this away for future reference.

Schlomey
07-15-2010, 01:45 PM
Don't listen to Gerty he's a grump.

wehavebensavedy2j
07-15-2010, 01:52 PM
I would say Bulldog, Mr Perfect and Ted Dibiase come to mind for me

RiX1024
07-15-2010, 02:04 PM
Owen, Ted DiBiase, Mr Perfect, Razor Ramon, Roddy Piper, Rick Rude and Vader

Favre4Ever
07-15-2010, 02:10 PM
Kung Fu-Naki

Favre4Ever
07-15-2010, 02:11 PM
http://www.worldwrestlinginsanity.com/am2/uploads/1/funaki_1.JPG

erictheking
07-15-2010, 02:26 PM
Sorry, your opinion doesn't count until 1000 posts. We'll just file this away for future reference.

ha ha and thanks.

i'll get back in my box or go post on some obscure thread x 1000

Volare
07-15-2010, 03:06 PM
That's usually what some of the newer guys do...till we blast them with this.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e151/Yakindu/banhammer.jpg

Xero
07-15-2010, 03:08 PM
Or sometimes a...

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g122/sandman3g/Wrestling/batistaban.jpg

BizarroKing
07-15-2010, 03:22 PM
-Kane (could have had longer/more reigns as WWE Champion)
-Dean Malenko (could have been a good IC champion I think)
-Lance Storm (was a triple crown champion in WCW, WWE F'ed up with him)
-Owen Hart (WWE champion, if he was alive today, he would OWN Cena)
-Ted Dibiase

I'm sure there's more...

erictheking
07-15-2010, 04:27 PM
so i've been warned. i'll just lurk and put the odd response stating the obvious then and gaining your trust.
<taps nose>

Providence Peep
07-15-2010, 05:01 PM
Owen Hart (WWE champion, if he was alive today, he would OWN Cena)

If Bret Hart could be a successful World Champ I see no reason Owen couldn't have been. Owen wasn't as experienced, but he showed in that Wrestlemania match against Bret that he could bring it big time if he were allowed to do so. In fact, in 1994, next to Bret, Nash, and Luger, Owen was arguably the company's biggest star. Remember, Taker was on sabbatical at that time and Michaels was nowhere near the top of his game. I think giving Owen the title, even for a little while, could have boosted the rivalry with his brother even more.

Gertner
07-15-2010, 06:38 PM
Don't listen to Gerty he's a grump.

Grumble grumble grumble.

Mooияakeя™
07-15-2010, 06:39 PM
http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/451/tedr.jpg

Gertner
07-15-2010, 06:40 PM
-Kane (could have had longer/more reigns as WWE Champion)
-Dean Malenko (could have been a good IC champion I think)
-Lance Storm (was a triple crown champion in WCW, WWE F'ed up with him)
-Owen Hart (WWE champion, if he was alive today, he would OWN Cena)
-Ted Dibiase

I'm sure there's more...

K, I love Owen and Lance just as much as the next guy, but World Champ? Come on now.

Schlomey
07-15-2010, 06:49 PM
yeah gernter is correct on owen and lance

Xero
07-15-2010, 06:55 PM
Owen would have been WWE champion, but only on a Benoit token champion level.

Besides, Owen would have been retired by 2005 I'm sure.

The Pope
07-15-2010, 07:40 PM
The Pope

Schlomey
07-15-2010, 07:41 PM
Pope will get his run one day. Be patient buddy. He is good enough on the mic & is def. good enough in the ring....Time buddy. TIME.

bigslimjj
07-15-2010, 07:58 PM
Misterrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr Anderson,in both companies......Anderson!

Schlomey
07-15-2010, 08:01 PM
Kennedy in WWE was one of the biggest let downs in my wrestling life. He was possibly my favorite. His MITB win. FAIL. The McMahon angle. FAIL. Injury. FAIL. Fired. FAIL.

His TNA run has been great. His matches with Angle were top notch....truly waiting for a title run in his future..I just hope he doesn't dissapoint me again..but that is his credo.

bigslimjj
07-15-2010, 08:09 PM
they tried really hard for him in wwe.Too bad the injuries,steroids,bad attitude etc. kept him from it.But almost everybody was doing the Scotty Steiner workout back then so i don't fault him for that as much.i think he has stepped his game up considerably in TNA though.Let's hope he gets his act together this time.

Schlomey
07-15-2010, 08:10 PM
Well let's hope.

BollywoodSingh
07-15-2010, 08:42 PM

Why? All that is doubtful is that wrestling may not have gone global or national. There would still be regional wrestling and there would still be wrestling forums.

MoFo
07-15-2010, 09:01 PM
Rick Rude was an uber heel and should of been all over the world title on the mid 90s

Providence Peep
07-15-2010, 09:12 PM
Rick Rude was an uber heel and should of been all over the world title on the mid 90s

What I'd like to have right now, is for all you fat, out-of-shape, TPWW transvestites... keep the noise down, while I take my robe off and show your ladies what a REAL sexy man looks like. Hit the music.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/__2v8Ie4g3B0/SKmnjBEJosI/AAAAAAAAAcY/qHKEqmkvFPc/s400/David+fat.jpg

Providence Peep
07-15-2010, 09:38 PM
:drool:

Anyway, I always thought it was unfortunate that Rude left the WWE after losing to the Ultimate Warrior at Summerslam '90. I think Rude could have had a pretty good run with the world championship, though I've read Hogan didn't want to work with him because Hogan thought Rude was too small.

Providence Peep
07-16-2010, 09:38 AM
What about guys who are in the WWE currently? Who would you folks like to eventually see as champion? I'm saying The Miz, who can put on good matches, knows exactly how to get under the skin of the WWE Universe, and (kayfabe) compared John Cena to the Jonas Brothers and Hannah Montana. Plus, Jim Ross has given Miz the "future main eventer" stamp of approval, so that's gotta be worth something.

Another one I'd love to see as Champ, and it could happen sooner than later, is Wade Barrett. He isn't the best in the ring, but with time he'll get better, and he has already demonstrated that he can easily lead the Nexus and has mic skills. I've been impressed with him since that Winds of Change promo he did on the fly during NXT1.

Mr. Nerfect
07-16-2010, 09:52 AM
K, I love Owen and Lance just as much as the next guy, but World Champ? Come on now.

He never really said that Lance Storm should be World Champ. Just perhaps used better and given more runs with the mid-card titles. That could have eventuated to a future main event push -- especially with how many guys get a crack now.

And Owen Hart would have gotten there, I believe.

The Great Khali's World Heavyweight Title reign should have gone to Kane. He was on SmackDown! at the time, and was actually getting something of a random push, if I recall. It just would have been nice to see Kane with the belt.

Going back to 2005/2006 -- I really think that the WWE missed the boat on Matt Hardy. He was so fucking over. I really think that they could have booked his return feud with Edge something like this:

-Edge wins at SummerSlam via disqualification, because Hardy cannot be contained.

-Hardy wins at Unforgiven in a Steel Cage Match with that Leg Drop off the cage still.

-Hardy beats Edge in a Money in the Bank Ladder Match to win Edge's title shot, allowing him to challenge for the World Heavyweight Title whenever he wants.

Edge was a bad guy on the rise. His credibility would not have been shot by this, and it would have just pushed this hot face that they stumbled upon to the moon, and capitalised on the moment.

MoFo
07-16-2010, 12:28 PM
so Matt Hardy squashes Edge on 3 consecutive PPVS?

no thx

Mr. Nerfect
07-16-2010, 01:36 PM
If you really have to find a way to protect the dirt-bag heel at detriment to the potential gold-mine face, you can have Hardy lose the Steel Cage Match because he was too focused on taking out his enemy instead of taking the opportunity to win.

You also need to learn the definition of the word "squashed."

wehavebensavedy2j
07-16-2010, 01:54 PM
HBKs last title run was in 02 i believe i think he should of won at least 1 time against orton when they had there feud

Gertner
07-16-2010, 01:54 PM
Ugh. Matt Hardy is not remotely close to ever being considered World Champ material.

Here's the thing with Khali and why I don't think it was that bad. Khali came in and was pushed as a monster despite his skills, so the wrestler who beats him for the Title is considered a pretty big deal. Khali winning the title I don't believe was designed to get him over as World Champ, it was designed to get the person who beats him even more over.

BizarroKing
07-16-2010, 02:39 PM
With Matt Hardy being recently mentioned, I think Jeff Hardy should have had a longer run or two with the belt. Granted he was suspended twice but still, if that was the case then he should not have had the belt at all instead of having short one month reigns.

Providence Peep
07-16-2010, 02:42 PM
Ugh. Matt Hardy is not remotely close to ever being considered World Champ material.

Not on Raw, but he's on Smackdown and he might be able to pull it off there.

Mooияakeя™
07-16-2010, 07:26 PM
http://shawnblanton.com/MILLION_DOLLAR_BELT_02.gif

XCaliber
07-16-2010, 07:33 PM

Here's the thing with Khali and why I don't think it was that bad. Khali came in and was pushed as a monster despite his skills, so the wrestler who beats him for the Title is considered a pretty big deal. Khali winning the title I don't believe was designed to get him over as World Champ, it was designed to get the person who beats him even more over.

Agreed to bad it didn't pan out unfortunately the WHC was cursed at the time.

Beth Phoenix Fan
07-16-2010, 08:54 PM
Steve Blackman
Big Bossman
Million Dollar Man Ted Dibiase
Mr. Perfect
Rick Rude
Owen Hart
British Bulldog
Rick The Model Martel
Pope D'Angelo Dinero
Mr. Anderson
Christian

Providence Peep
07-17-2010, 10:13 AM
Steve Blackman
Big Bossman

HUH?!?!?!?!?

erictheking
07-24-2010, 05:12 PM
yes your opinion counts. Newbs have a rough time being heard around here but as long as you don't come off as an obnoxious little punk you will be fine.

Bulldog is a good topic. He was a good candidate to win the WWF title at the height of his popularity and kind of surprised it never happened for him.

cheers fior the adive but i'm English and we have this superiority complex so i may, at times, come across as obnoxious and probably sanctimonious also, it's not a conscious thing - we all suffer from it!! :-)