PDA

View Full Version : Wait a minute: John Cena KILLS The Rock and it gets ignored?

YoungFlyFlashy
02-23-2011, 12:00 AM
@ 6:00 if you do not want to wait.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/QStBadC8P-o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Seriously, this deserves it's own thread, not just a mention, not a Cena mark, but so far The Rock vs John Cena, and Cena is up one after this reply, classic and great come back.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/HAVhbkrf9CA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The Rock replies Feb 28th

<object width="448" height="374"><param name="movie" value="http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/videos/e/16711680/wshhOL1aH0u67p2os3Wu"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/videos/e/16711680/wshhOL1aH0u67p2os3Wu" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" width="448" height="374"></embed></object>

John Cena replies March 7th

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/B8xcFluzyCI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

YoungFlyFlashy
02-23-2011, 12:02 AM
Wrestlemania host, that's your role, you tell these people that you love them, I here every week to show it...

Shadrick
02-23-2011, 12:03 AM
Cenas promo was dedicated strictly to the Rock.

Rocks promo was a return where he touched on a lot of points including John Cena.

IMO, its not the same thing. I'll form an opinion when Rock retorts.

YoungFlyFlashy
02-23-2011, 12:07 AM
I was talking truth, you left us high and dry to play a fairy with a tooth? And you walk in this ring and tell these people that I'm lame man, he wore lipstick in get shory and rocked a skirt for the game plan. This fruity pebble that your dealing with, I'm not your average jabroni, I'm like a big purple pinwheel rock, go ahead and blow me.

Tom Guycott
02-23-2011, 12:14 AM
Well, it's a good thing I didn't start a thread about this, but I did just post in the RAW thread, so still I must say: "DAMMIT!"

Tom Guycott
02-23-2011, 12:19 AM
On to something else besides HHH/Taker...

Something else happened on RAW that went largely unnoticed, and that was Cena's "freestyle" promo. Now it wasn't so much the promo itself that I want to point out, but the style. Nevermind that the PG poster boy went to a few things he would have disqualifed Punk and Barrett for in that match a few weeks ago, but one thing that I wanted to point out was his change in tone for the delivery.

For a brief moment, he went back to the Cena the haters are holding out for. He ditched the "happy go lucky" and "poopie joke" Cena to the stance of taking Rock's comments seriously.

It's good to see some of that edge back in the character, even for just a moment, but I for one just wish this would have happened vs. Nexus instead of just folding them into comedy relief and keeping kid-friendly Cena during "the greatest threat ever to WWE". So, 7 guys constantly jumping your star player and even making him their bitch for a couple weeks doesn't harden him at all, but a few insults from The People's Champ makes him get all serious? I know it seems like I just contradicted how I feel about what happened in the same paragraph, but I'm just sayin'... it was great to see Ruck Fules Cena for a second, just wish it was done a little sooner to make more sense on the whole and maybe quell some of the backlash against the guy.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

Yes, It's posted in two threads AND I quoted myself to put it here. !3MTA3

Jokes aside, I really am curious as to what other people think about this... aside from the obligatory "IT DOESN'T MATTER..." someone's bound to throw in.

YoungFlyFlashy
02-23-2011, 12:20 AM
And your electrifying YES! But hang with me that's just obscured, see now you gotta tell your family you just got schooled by Barney's turd. Oh no no, wait wait, thats your material, you can have your joke back, just don't go race to witch mountain rock, cause your mountain is broke back.

#1-norm-fan
02-23-2011, 12:28 AM
That was pretty incredible. Cena one-upped The Rock.

YoungFlyFlashy
02-23-2011, 12:30 AM

Rocks promo was a return where he touched on a lot of points including John Cena.

Whatever man, Cena still might be the only man in history to actually one-up The Rock on the mic, give credit where credit is due.

Tom Guycott
02-23-2011, 12:32 AM
The bad thing is half of that was a bastardized Eminem rap olympics rhyme from like '97/'98-ish, yet still managed to be clever.

YoungFlyFlashy
02-23-2011, 12:34 AM
Oh no no wait wait, the rocks new movie, well its nothing like walking tall, he spends the movie in the bowling alley polishing my balls. The peoples champ, he's never with the people, rock your words are see thru, you imitate me every time you leave, for seven years we couldn't see you.

Shadrick
02-23-2011, 12:59 AM
Whatever man, Cena still might be the only man in history to actually one-up The Rock on the mic, give credit where credit is due.

lol cool response bro

Volchok
02-23-2011, 01:16 AM
The promo screamed the final rap battle of 8 Mile.. idk why.

Lock Jaw
02-23-2011, 01:16 AM
Dunno. Seems like anybody could have "one-upped" The Rock. Not saying Cena didn't do a good job...

But you got plenty of material to work with, what with the terrible movies he has made and his abandonment of WWE for 7 years to make them.

James Steele
02-23-2011, 01:33 AM
It was alright, but it was still the same gay and poop jokes in a "you sold out" wrapper. I'm just surprised he didn't throw a package of peanuts at Cole and make a vintage DEEZ NUTZ joke.

Juan
02-23-2011, 01:41 AM
I thought it was pretty awesome tbh, but I def. don't think he "one-upped" The Rock. IF anything, they're even now.

James Steele
02-23-2011, 01:44 AM
I thought it was pretty awesome tbh, but I def. don't think he "one-upped" The Rock. IF anything, they're even now.

Juan, quit being nice just because he is your cousin.

Tom Guycott
02-23-2011, 01:45 AM
It was alright, but it was still the same gay and poop jokes in a "you sold out" wrapper. I'm just surprised he didn't throw a package of peanuts at Cole and make a vintage DEEZ NUTZ joke.

Methinks the pinwheel served that purpose.

James Steele
02-23-2011, 01:54 AM
It was good, but I hope he can show that he can burn somebody up like that without doing a "rap". If, and God willing, they do a back-and-forth on it. Cena will get his ass eaten alive on RAW if he can't do more than a long winded rap with props.

James Steele
02-23-2011, 01:55 AM
Methinks the pinwheel served that purpose.

I'd mark out if he pulled a glass jar of peanuts out of his jorts and hurls it at Michael Cole like he is Roger Clemens.

Tazz Dan
02-23-2011, 02:12 AM
Fuck you people. The promo was good, it's what everyone has been screaming for him to do for about 4 years now. And now it's too cool to enjoy it because The Rock came back and cut an old school promo.. Yep, wouldn't be TPWW if it was any other way.

#BROKEN Hasney
02-23-2011, 02:18 AM

You're right. Rock and Cena should stop this promo war before it gets going and bond over their love of gay jokes.

I loved it. If it wasn't The Rocks return last week and it was just a promo on Cena to build to Wrestlemania, I think I would have enjoyed Cena's a lot more.

James Steele
02-23-2011, 02:20 AM
It was good, but it isn't like he tore the fucking house down. He didn't destroy The Rock.

Emperor Smeat
02-23-2011, 02:25 AM
I wouldn't think of it as Cena "killing" The Rock but Cena's response to the trash talking the Rock did to him last week.

It was very good compared to the usual Cena promo and is similar to how Batista helped Cena produce some of his best promos since moving to Raw years ago.

What Cena said was true but at the same time Cena's movies haven't been as strong as The Rock for him to even consider leaving as an option. The Rock had the acting option because it was producing equal or more to what he was making in the WWE and didn't need a while to adjust financially.

stultiloquy
02-23-2011, 02:25 AM
It was good, but I hope he can show that he can burn somebody up like that without doing a "rap". If, and God willing, they do a back-and-forth on it. Cena will get his ass eaten alive on RAW if he can't do more than a long winded rap with props.

This.

SlickyTrickyDamon
02-23-2011, 02:33 AM
It was a great promo, and it was everything that made me fall in love with John Cena in 2003-2004 but I disagree with everything John Cena said content wise. He said it well, but he's still a piece of shit for saying it. As a lifetime fan of the WWF I have seen what has happened to the people who didn't know when it was time to retire, move on and try something different. In short this industry is TOXIC and John Cena is on the wrong side of the fence on this issue. Also he doesn't have the stink of WWE failure from after the end of the Attitude era, so the WWE will now benefit from The Rock's good name reputation in the world of entertainment. He left and it was the perfect opportunity for him to leave and John Cena can't be serious in trash talking him to do the best thing for the Rock's and his family's future. John Cena missed the birth of his nephew, is that something we want to praise? No, he's a scumbag for missing it and he's a scumbag for not taking his "fired" time off to spend time with his wife and his brother's newly created family.

The Rock had a golden opportunity to reach for the brass ring in Hollywood and he had the balls to go for it. The Rock could have been just another failed actor like Hollywood Hulk Hogan or somebody who is known for only one really good movie like Rowdy Roddy Piper.

I disagree that the Rock "sold out" his fans and I just think Cena said that years old just to get The Rock into another match. The Rock was never able to fight Shawn Michaels, but he didn't insult Shawn Michaels in public to try to draw him out. He was probably upset that The Rock brought in all of the ratings for all of those years and Cena hasn't. Cena has seen the decline of the empire that the Rock, NOT Cena help built. If anything Cena has been one of the reasons for the decline.

Also let me point out that the Rock was the most SELFLESS WWE Champion that I can remember. When The Rock was the champion for the first time he could have ran with the title all the way to WrestleMania for his fight with Stone Cold: he didn't. The Rock and Mankind had a great rivarly that gave Mankind somebody who would probably never win the title under other circumstances two championship reigns and Royal Rumble title match that will go down as one of the greatest in the long history of the Rumble.

When Brock Lesnar was getting the then quickest push in WWE history who gave up another chance of a long run as champion to make him look like a million bucks in Summerslam? That's right; The Rock. It is things like that make the Rock a 7-time champion but only having 297 days as the champion. The Rock knew that he was only one person and that by pushing everybody as far as they could they all would triuphum. John Cena is all about "me myself and I." Fuck you John Cena.

KIRA
02-23-2011, 02:54 AM

OK in all honesty I'm still giving this one to The Rock for a few reasons, first of

Its one thing to "diss" someone in a rhyme scheme its quite another to lay into someone by just talking which is what Rock did it takes a certain quick wit to have clever put downs in casual speaking format. Not saying rapping is easy, putdowns (or at least Cenas) arent as jarring as they would be if he was simply addressing the crowd.

Second ALL of Cenas material is predictable and lacks any real creativity

example a typical Cena putdown goes like this (in deep wigger voice) blah

blah blah homosexual joke blah blah blah rhyme referencing my balls/and or anus blah blah blah something that rhymes with you cant see me.

the only point that actually stung was the "seven yrs we couldn't see u"part
the rest was Cena by the numbers IMO.

Oh yea as far as films go Rock could always point out that Cenas Films make sure that straight to dvd bin is at least half full.

#BROKEN Hasney
02-23-2011, 03:10 AM
It was a great promo, and it was everything that made me fall in love with John Cena in 2003-2004 but I disagree with everything John Cena said content wise. He said it well, but he's still a piece of shit for saying it. As a lifetime fan of the WWF I have seen what has happened to the people who didn't know when it was time to retire, move on and try something different. In short this industry is TOXIC and John Cena is on the wrong side of the fence on this issue. Also he doesn't have the stink of WWE failure from after the end of the Attitude era, so the WWE will now benefit from The Rock's good name reputation in the world of entertainment. He left and it was the perfect opportunity for him to leave and John Cena can't be serious in trash talking him to do the best thing for the Rock's and his family's future. John Cena missed the birth of his nephew, is that something we want to praise? No, he's a scumbag for missing it and he's a scumbag for not taking his "fired" time off to spend time with his wife and his brother's newly created family.

The Rock had a golden opportunity to reach for the brass ring in Hollywood and he had the balls to go for it. The Rock could have been just another failed actor like Hollywood Hulk Hogan or somebody who is known for only one really good movie like Rowdy Roddy Piper.

I disagree that the Rock "sold out" his fans and I just think Cena said that years old just to get The Rock into another match. The Rock was never able to fight Shawn Michaels, but he didn't insult Shawn Michaels in public to try to draw him out. He was probably upset that The Rock brought in all of the ratings for all of those years and Cena hasn't. Cena has seen the decline of the empire that the Rock, NOT Cena help built. If anything Cena has been one of the reasons for the decline.

Also let me point out that the Rock was the most SELFLESS WWE Champion that I can remember. When The Rock was the champion for the first time he could have ran with the title all the way to WrestleMania for his fight with Stone Cold: he didn't. The Rock and Mankind had a great rivarly that gave Mankind somebody who would probably never win the title under other circumstances two championship reigns and Royal Rumble title match that will go down as one of the greatest in the long history of the Rumble.

When Brock Lesnar was getting the then quickest push in WWE history who gave up another chance of a long run as champion to make him look like a million bucks in Summerslam? That's right; The Rock. It is things like that make the Rock a 7-time champion but only having 297 days as the champion. The Rock knew that he was only one person and that by pushing everybody as far as they could they all would triuphum. John Cena is all about "me myself and I." Fuck you John Cena.

Lolllllllllllllll. It was fucking scripted by the writers you dumb shit, probably cleared by The Rock so it was fine to say. "I HATE CENA FOR SAYING IT". I just burst out laughing at work.

Love or hate John Cena's character (you know, as wrestling is a scripted television program), he is probably one of the best company men they've ever had in an elevated position. I'd be willing to bet that Cena would put anyone over if asked.

KIRA
02-23-2011, 03:17 AM
Lolllllllllllllll. It was fucking scripted by the writers you dumb shit, probably cleared by The Rock so it was fine to say. "I HATE CENA FOR SAYING IT". I just burst out laughing at work.

Love or hate John Cena's character (you know, as wrestling is a scripted television program), he is probably one of the best company men they've ever had in an elevated position. I'd be willing to bet that Cena would put anyone over if asked.

Just ask Sheamus

DaVe
02-23-2011, 03:28 AM
Cena didn't kill Rock, but it was an awesome performance. How could the promo be Cena by the numbers when he hasn't said that stuff for 6 years?

KIRA
02-23-2011, 03:36 AM
Cena didn't kill Rock, but it was an awesome performance. How could the promo be Cena by the numbers when he hasn't said that stuff for 6 years?

When he geared up I knew where it was headed.Granted I haven't seen this movie in six years but all the same I've seen this movie before.

If you get my meaning

Favre4Ever
02-23-2011, 04:50 AM
Please. Cena is terrible.

Obviously he would put anyone over, Hasney. He's been booked like Hulk Hogan for six years and knows the company would have nothing to gain by jobbing him out, and even if they did who cares? He's the focal point of their film studios. He's sleeping in tubs full of money. Also, that segment was certainly scripted, but I have a hard time believing he was provoked by creative to give those retarded opinions on The Rock during his MTV interview a couple of years ago. He might be being scripted to run with it now that Rocky is back in the fold, but he owns those statements and I can't recall him ever "taking them back." Love or hate Cena's character, this guy is an overpaid meathead who loves the smell of his own stink, and you can't help but think that when he was blabbering about how "he would never leave the WWE or it's fans LIKE THE ROCK DID!," he probably had some feeling of self-righteousness for saying it.

Sure, the way SlickyTrickDamon is taking that segment personally is a bit silly, but there's an important point in there that we shouldn't miss: Fuck John Cena.

Dave Youell
02-23-2011, 04:54 AM
Both guys gave the better promos of their careers in the past 2 weeks, both have been excellent, who cares who's winning in a promo war?

This has been great TV, WWE has done a fantastic job recently in making me want to watch the product and talk about it again.

Good job!

Tazz Dan
02-23-2011, 04:56 AM
Please. Cena is terrible.

Define "Terrible". And terrible to who, the larger WWE audience, or the IWC who make up a small number?

Favre4Ever
02-23-2011, 05:05 AM
I guess the word I was really looking for was "atrocious".

Atrocious
-exceptionally bad or displeasing; "atrocious taste"; "abominable workmanship"; "an awful voice"; "dreadful manners"; "a painful performance"; "terrible handwriting"; "an unspeakable odor came sweeping into the room"

I'm sure all of those examples qualify here. Also, atrocious to the latter I guess, though I will tell you that I haven't met a person in my age group(i'm 25) that doesn't dislike John Cena.

Sting Fan
02-23-2011, 05:12 AM
Both guys gave the better promos of their careers in the past 2 weeks, both have been excellent, who cares who's winning in a promo war?

This has been great TV, WWE has done a fantastic job recently in making me want to watch the product and talk about it again.

Good job!

This^^^

The Rock returning surprised me because I don't read dirt sheets anymore. So seeing he returned I watched.

I enjoyed Rocks promo, I enjoyed Cenas and so I might buy wWestlemania for the first time in 4 years.

Good job WWE

Favre4eva, im 23 and I enjoy Cena... Just saying.

Disco Apocalypse
02-23-2011, 05:17 AM
Cena didn't kill, but come on... even the biggest Cena haters HAD to enjoy that just a little bit.

I just marked out for the wrestler I've hated for years... that's entertainment.

Testicle
02-23-2011, 06:24 AM

I agree. Cena's was pretty brutal but The Rock could counter with something as equally brutal. Kind of hoping The Rock doesn't say anything and instead saves it for Mania, at which time he will lay the smackdown on Cena.

Actually I don't want to see them wrestle or even 'get into it' at Mania or elsewhere because there is no way they would let the Rock go over on Cena.

Tom Guycott
02-23-2011, 06:31 AM
I'd mark out if he pulled a glass jar of peanuts out of his jorts and hurls it at Michael Cole like he is Roger Clemens.

Bonus points if he does it out of nowhere when Cole is "overheeling"

Dave Youell
02-23-2011, 06:59 AM
I honestly think they are doing this now to build Cena/Rock at Mania next year in Miami, as it's Rock's home town.

They are clearly going to do something with this, and 6 weeks isn't enough build for something of this size.

I'm not saying it's going to be 12 months of solid build, but sowing seeds every now and then with a strong 3 month build after next years rumble

ireland
02-23-2011, 07:00 AM
please.....Cena is the modern day hogan with the limited moveset... the catchphrases the kids love (you cant see me......)with stupid tee shirts and logos.Like hogan with his eat yer vitamins drink milk and say your prayers (and ake steroids) .At least Hogan made things seem a little believable with a big boot and leg drop .. cena has a fist to head which never seems to actually conect, and attitude adjustment that seems just lame..... But both talk shit, could face the whole locker room and win, probably blind folded and hands behind there back cos kids buy there merchandise....WWe are terrified of turning Cena heel cos they would lose out on the upset kids who would stop buy there shit

On the other hand the Rock was a wrestler (sorry sorts entertainer) who could wrestle , genuinely sell a storyline in the ring or on the mic, AND play the role of a face or a hell who could draw savage heat......The rocks promo two weeks ago was awesome ,for someone to come back into the ring before a telivsed audience and produce a faultless, humourous with out getting too stupid promo

Cenas promo was just plain stuoid in my opinion....he certainly didnt owen rocks ass or anything even close.... it just showed he is a cheap imitation of Dwayne "The Rock " Johnson

Dave Youell
02-23-2011, 07:07 AM
please.....Cena is the modern day hogan with the limited moveset... the catchphrases the kids love (you cant see me......)with stupid tee shirts and logos.Like hogan with his eat yer vitamins drink milk and say your prayers (and ake steroids) .At least Hogan made things seem a little believable with a big boot and leg drop .. cena has a fist to head which never seems to actually conect, and attitude adjustment that seems just lame..... But both talk shit, could face the whole locker room and win, probably blind folded and hands behind there back cos kids buy there merchandise....WWe are terrified of turning Cena heel cos they would lose out on the upset kids who would stop buy there shit

On the other hand the Rock was a wrestler (sorry sorts entertainer) who could wrestle , genuinely sell a storyline in the ring or on the mic, AND play the role of a face or a hell who could draw savage heat......The rocks promo two weeks ago was awesome ,for someone to come back into the ring before a telivsed audience and produce a faultless, humourous with out getting too stupid promo

Cenas promo was just plain stuoid in my opinion....he certainly didnt owen rocks ass or anything even close.... it just showed he is a cheap imitation of Dwayne "The Rock " Johnson
You do realize that people were saying the same thing about Rock during his heyday right?

People were always moaning about his lack of actual wrestling ability and his 5 moves of doom (and that hideous sharpshooter)and also about how his promo's were dull, to the point where the crowd turned on him at Summerslam when he lost to Brock when he was meant to be a face.

Comparing Cena now to Rock then (like any comparision) isn't fair. As it's a different time and business model for the company that they worked for at that time.

The reason Cena was over first of all was because it was at the tail end of an era that Rocky established and he could be cutting edge, as soon as it got PG, Cena lost anything that made him interesting to the IWC.

If the Rock has come in at the same time, I honestly think he would of been suffering the same about of abuse as Cena did/does

ireland
02-23-2011, 07:20 AM
very true and fair point....im not a cena hater... just find him intolerable.i would rather watch a promo from Kozlov thatn cena.....plus i know the writers are a big part of his superhero gimmik, he does what he is told. If that was CM Punk pulling that promo last week it would have been awesome

Dave Youell
02-23-2011, 08:13 AM
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/bOjmYApePVQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ol Dirty Dastard
02-23-2011, 09:21 AM

dingdongyo
02-23-2011, 11:10 AM
i thought cena's was more impressive, but i also don't think it's hard to beat "big bowl of fruity pebbles" and "barney the dinosaur's anus."

as much as i was excited that the rock took a run at cena, the way he did it was pretty weak (and more childish than cena, yet cena seems to get the heat for being too immature).

but that could be the point. start low and build up to wrestlemania.

ron the dial
02-23-2011, 11:26 AM
i thought cena held it down, and has been holding it down for a while now. was nice to see him use some more "adult" insults in the promo, but that didn't really make it better for me.

BigDaddyCool
02-23-2011, 11:41 AM
Meh...not really that big of a burn.

jskinnyg
02-23-2011, 12:50 PM
Bottom line, it was 2 awesome promos by Rock & Cena... We have all been screamin' for a little hint of the attitude era for years and anything less PG... We got it, it was awesome, and hopefully there will be a little more...

XL
02-23-2011, 01:21 PM
Dunno. Seems like anybody could have "one-upped" The Rock. Not saying Cena didn't do a good job...

But you got plenty of material to work with, what with the terrible movies he has made and his abandonment of WWE for 7 years to make them.
And you don't have plenty of material to cut a promo on Cena!? Like, I dunno, everything The Rock used?

Fuck you people. The promo was good, it's what everyone has been screaming for him to do for about 4 years now. And now it's too cool to enjoy it because The Rock came back and cut an old school promo.. Yep, wouldn't be TPWW if it was any other way.
HATERZ GONNA HATE.

i thought cena's was more impressive, but i also don't think it's hard to beat "big bowl of fruity pebbles" and "barney the dinosaur's anus."

as much as i was excited that the rock took a run at cena, the way he did it was pretty weak (and more childish than cena, yet cena seems to get the heat for being too immature).

but that could be the point. start low and build up to wrestlemania.
Seems everybody here loved that stuff. Personally I thought "Fruity Pebbles" was up there (or down there I guess) with CM Sucks.

But, Rock is Attitude Era so that starts him at a higher level in the eyes of the majority of the IWC.

XL
02-23-2011, 01:26 PM
I enjoyed the promo immensely. Ias impressed that WWE let him "cut loose". The Rock's promo benefitted from him being given the green light to use "ass" and be pretty "brutal". I'd have been pretty pissed if I was Cena and wasn't allowed to do the same.

I'm more impressed with Cena's promo than Rocky's because Rock's benefitted from the fact that it was a RETURN promo after 7 years away. People were always gonna buy the shit he was selling. As for Cena, he is there every week and has become boring and the crowd tell him and WWE know it. To go out there, pull a full 180 and delier that promo was a breath of fresh are desperately needed.

Of course, some will say it was "by the numbers" and "exactly the same as his old stuff" like The Rock didn't come out last week and deliver his OLD catchphrases in the SAME promo style he used back in the day.

#1-norm-fan
02-23-2011, 01:49 PM
Gay joke or not, I thought the Brokeback Mountain line was really good.

Sixx
02-23-2011, 02:14 PM
I hate that he started rapping again. PG rap, give me a break.

That's all.

Majunior
02-23-2011, 04:04 PM
Its one thing to "diss" someone in a rhyme scheme its quite another to lay into someone by just talking which is what Rock did it takes a certain quick wit to have clever put downs in casual speaking format. Not saying rapping is easy, putdowns (or at least Cenas) arent as jarring as they would be if he was simply addressing the crowd.

Second ALL of Cenas material is predictable and lacks any real creativity.

Seriously? I couldn't be laughing any harder right now.

First of all, using a rhyme scheme is much harder. Maybe you're slow witted, but throwing out one liners and otherwise laying into someone just by talking is painfully simple. Jesus, go to a junior high school, everyone there excels at it.

Second, you're accusing Cena of using formulaic promos? Rock is probably one of the worst in those regards. He had 14 catch phrases, and his promos were the most formulaic wrestling promos I can ever remember watching in roughly the past 20 years, week after week. The Rock, simply put, is boring. And yes, he always was. There was virtually no diversity when he spoke. His charismatic delivery is the only thing that saved him.

Now, I understand full well the promos are written and approved, but the problem is this -- you're criticizing one man for his promos being A - B - C when the man you're defending is one of the worst formula-based promo men there is.

You can't honestly tell me Rock's promos weren't painfully predictable before he left 7 years ago.

James Steele
02-23-2011, 04:29 PM
Yup. All those "The Rock Concert" segments were horribly unoriginal. :roll:

Savio
02-23-2011, 04:48 PM
We need "The Rock Concert 3"

The Naitch
02-23-2011, 04:56 PM
The day after Rock came back, I knew that somehow we would see Cena revert back to his Thuganomic schtick, and this past Monday Cena did his best promo in a long time.

As a Rock mark, IMO, I think Cena one upped The Rock. I wish Cena would slowly phase out his Cenation shit and start wearing throwback jerseys again along with that "Ruthless Agression" he had similar to when he was dissing Brock Lesnar with his raps. If given the chance to say whatever he wants, I think Cena could tear Rock a new asshole with his "battle raps". I was impressed. He just needs to lose the stupid purple shirt and hat. I'd mark out if he rocked the chain again.

Cena's promo made Rock look dated. I'm just hoping that Rock turns it up the next time he shows up on RAW to address Cena. He has it in him. His first promo back was just a general "I'm back" promo, he didn't really go into detail with a Cena verbal barrage. We'll have to wait and see.

Also, huge dissapointment that The Rock wasn't on RAW this past Monday. Pretty sure the Fresno crowd was dissappointed that he didn't show. I hope we get to see Rock every week, it'll be gay if the next time we see him was at WrestleMania. I think the reason why he wasn't there was because they needed to focus that RAW solely on the whole Triple H/Undertaker build.

The Naitch
02-23-2011, 05:02 PM
I hate that he started rapping again. PG rap, give me a break.

That's all.

I still think his PG raps are better than his usual generic promos (ie. you want some, come get some etc etc)

MoFo
02-23-2011, 05:04 PM
They need to start slagging each other off on talk shows, Shamrock/Ortiz stylee.

SlickyTrickyDamon
02-23-2011, 09:57 PM
These comments John Cena made are what he actually thinks about what the Rock did. It isn't the writers. Here is a report from 2009 where John Cena makes the same comments that he mentioned several years back when The Rock was not even close to have been returning at all.

What's your problem Hasney anyways? You've turned into a first-class asshole to me in the past month. We were cool when we were in the Xero chat room dude, what's up with this crap now?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/123109-john-cena-whines-about-the-rockagain 2009 Article

2008 full transcript: http://www.wrestling101.com/101/newsitem/5263/

Jordan
02-23-2011, 11:03 PM
WOW. There are a lot of idiotic messages in this thread. The truth is plain and simple, The Rock is familiar yet fresh and a very big deal. John Cena is super familiar, very over, and a very big deal. However John Cena is in practice and The Rock is out of practice. Cena's skills are sharper than The Rocks, that could change and it might not who knows. So yeah, if you wanna call it, Cena is 1-0 on the shit stick.

Majunior
02-23-2011, 11:31 PM
Yup. All those "The Rock Concert" segments were horribly unoriginal. :roll:

An occasional breath of fresh air doesn't make someone a creative genius. Especially when -- with minimal exception -- they use the same promo with a few cosmetic changes every week.

"Finally... *insert city name*
You know, *wrestler's name*
Light foul language, possible homosexual implication, more swearing, a few other lesser catchphrases, plug upcoming PPV/show
Take *object* shine/turn/insert
If ya smell"

98% of Rock's promos for years. Real original. The man is brilliant. :roll:

McLegend
02-23-2011, 11:57 PM
I actually agree with with James Steele said. He hit the nail right on the head.

He wasn't better then Rock was in his promo, but he was very good. I think The Rock would eat him alive face to face.

Favre4Ever
02-24-2011, 03:03 AM
People actually believe that Cena "owned" The Rock with his scripted throwback to opinions from an old whiny interview?

Tazz Dan
02-24-2011, 03:32 AM
You actually believe The Rocks promo wasn't scripted?

JeremyTB29
02-24-2011, 05:24 AM
The Rock owned Cena just from this line in his promo.

"the WWE went from the powerful Austin 3:16 to the dominant and iconic If Ya smell what the Rock is cookin, alllll the way to You can't shee me"

Rock owned Cena because it's 100% true that Cena is not and never will be in Austin and the Rock's league and that the WWE has clearly taken a step down going from Austin&Rock to John Cena. And you can't even blame the PG era because other top stars past and present have made it work such as HBK for example. Cena has been pushed to the moon for the past 7 or 8 years and has main evented so many PPV's and yet I can't recall 1 memorable feud or match that he has had. Has he ever stolen the show? And when I say memorable I mean something that will be remembered 15 years from now. The only reason he has a big fanbase is because kids don't know any better and when you act like barney ofcourse they will love ya.

Tazz Dan
02-24-2011, 07:00 AM
Please stop posting.

GD
02-24-2011, 07:10 AM
I would have enjoyed it a lot more if he had not yapped so much before delivering the rap.

The Pope
02-24-2011, 05:21 PM
is PG era gone?

Malfeitor
02-24-2011, 05:49 PM
It would've been good if he didn't rap. Nothing worse than a white boy trying to rap, unless you're Sage Francis.

Savio
02-24-2011, 05:58 PM
Cena did pretty much kill everything rock said against him and then some, those who say otherwise are lying.

Aguakate
02-24-2011, 06:01 PM
...The idea of having The Rock "own" Cena without John coming out, and then having Cena "own" Rock without HIM coming out, is all about building up steam and interest for a confrontation (verbal) between the two in the upcoming weeks...

...it's how you build interest in a story, something that we haven't seen too much of in WWE in past years, but still, it works.

Tazz Dan
02-24-2011, 06:30 PM
I think people take things too literal around here. Pretty sure the idea of the thread was Cena actually pulled a good "Vintage" promo in reply to The Rock's "Vintage" promo on him, and nobody had anything to say about it.

Troelar
02-25-2011, 02:02 AM
Cena did good.

He didn't kill Rock, just like Rock didn't kill Cena.
For that to happen you'd need an actual face-off.

It's not really _that_ hard to stand uninterrupted and insult someone - especially (goes for both peeps) when it's scripted.
It becomes slightly harder to do when you're facing off. And unless the promo specifically makes one person kill the other, then it's down to delivery and charisma to decide who kills who...

Juan
02-25-2011, 04:46 AM
Cena did good.

It's not really _that_ hard to stand uninterrupted and insult someone - especially (goes for both peeps) when it's scripted.
It becomes slightly harder to do when you're facing off. And unless the promo specifically makes one person kill the other, then it's down to delivery and charisma to decide who kills who...

^ Gets it

Kane Knight
02-25-2011, 08:51 PM
@ 6:00 if you do not want to wait.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/QStBadC8P-o" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="390" width="640"></iframe>

Seriously, this deserves it's own thread, not just a mention, not a Cena mark, but so far The Rock vs John Cena, and Cena is up one after this reply, classic and great come back.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/HAVhbkrf9CA" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="390" width="640"></iframe>

Nice.

But not PG.

Kane Knight
02-25-2011, 08:52 PM
Cena did good.

I think people take things too literal around here. Pretty sure the idea of the thread was Cena actually pulled a good "Vintage" promo in reply to The Rock's "Vintage" promo on him, and nobody had anything to say about it.

RVDmark
02-26-2011, 10:43 AM
Cena has always come off (to me anyway) as a bit of a copy of The Rock. The dodgy signature moves (Peoples elbow vs "u cant see me thing"), The "Full Moon Push", being the company guy, etc etc.

So when Rock comes back its hard for JC to defend his niche. And I would put the sudden "Thuganomics" revival down to this.

I wouldnt say either promo "owned" the other guy tbh.

Cena is a guy copying what The Rock did, The Rock *is* The Rock.

And this whole thing better lead to some kind of match between the two, all this better not *just* lead up to a promo at 'mania.

What I want to see is Rock kick Cena's ass all the way back to the mid card, however if they do have a match it will only be the inevitable "passing of the torch".

Sixx
02-26-2011, 11:39 AM
I just watched Cena's reply for the first time and I think it's weak.

I always hated his raps, even his voice gets on my nerves when he's "spittin' rhymes". I'm no devoted Cena hater, but he should really leave rapping behind.

Kane Knight
02-26-2011, 11:56 AM
Cena has always come off (to me anyway) as a bit of a copy of The Rock. The dodgy signature moves (Peoples elbow vs "u cant see me thing"), The "Full Moon Push", being the company guy, etc etc.

So when Rock comes back its hard for JC to defend his niche. And I would put the sudden "Thuganomics" revival down to this.

I wouldnt say either promo "owned" the other guy tbh.

Cena is a guy copying what The Rock did, The Rock *is* The Rock.

And this whole thing better lead to some kind of match between the two, all this better not *just* lead up to a promo at 'mania.

What I want to see is Rock kick Cena's ass all the way back to the mid card, however if they do have a match it will only be the inevitable "passing of the torch".

If you forced that comparison any harder, you could be charged with rape.

Cena's his own guy. The comparison between the Rock and Cena ends with the silly finishers, and even that's not remotely unique. Cena's "full moon" push was forced, and the Rock's wasn't a "full moon" push. Both talk smack, a trait shared by about 96 other main event or near main event wrestlers in the last 20 years (WWF/E alone). Cena's not really any closer to the Rock than to HHH, Austin, Michaels, etc. Hell, Edge and Orton might as well be compared to the Rock by those broad strokes.

The return of "Thuganomics" was almost certainly due to the WWE's tendency to "pull out all the stops" on the Road to Wrestlemania, rather than any feelings of inadequacy or lack of identity.

CSL
02-26-2011, 12:40 PM
But 'BOOOO CENA' right?

MrMyc
02-26-2011, 04:38 PM
It's not really worth getiing that much attention. If Cena could stay that entertaining consistantly that would be something, but he said it himself, one time only

Kane Knight
02-26-2011, 10:34 PM
But 'BOOOO CENA' right?

Well, it is a logical counterpoint....

openedup
02-27-2011, 06:33 AM
you are just used to the crap that is put on our tv's cenas "rap" wasnt good and really neither was the rocks promo to be honest, nostagial really

Juan
02-27-2011, 06:37 AM
Awesome first post.

Fox
02-27-2011, 03:21 PM
Just saw both the Rock and Cena promos for the first time today, and I'm going to give this one to Cena. And I consider myself to be a pretty avid critic of Cena's character over the past 3 years.

Rock came out and cut a great promo, but yes, it was the same kind of promo he's always cut. His lines against Cena were a bit childish as well. He made good points about Cena not being Austin or Rock, but who is these days? It was well delivered and well said, but it came off like a big kid on the school yard trying to bully a smaller kid.

Cena's retort was better. His rap was more entertaining than Rock's insults were, and they were very clever as well, as his raps always tend to be. It kind of felt as if Cena didn't want to do it, but Rock sort of forced his hand by saying the things he said before. I think it was saddening for him to have to come out and dig into The Rock and make him look stupid when he probably respects Rock and all he did in the business. Cena made good points as well: Rock took his ball and went home while Cena is now the WWE's company guy. He may not be The Rock or Stone Cold, but he's John Cena and he's the best the WWE has right now and the best they've had for a long time. John Cena IS the WWE, and for Rock to diss him on being that guy isn't really fair, and honestly comes off a little bit as jealousy. Cena's comment about being there every night for the WWE fans is true - he even comes back from serious injuries earlier than he should so he can be in front of the fans and give them what they want. Rock left the WWE for Hollywood. Cena will probably never leave the WWE, not because he can't, because I really do believe that he could, but because he doesn't want to. There was a bit of sadness in Cena's final line to Rock about him always being there and Rock only being there when he wants to, and his point was driven home by the fact that Rock WASN'T there for RAW.

I'm still hoping that this is leading up to something more important than Rock being a special guest referee at Mania. It's possible that they're keeping a Rock return to the ring under wraps, allowing him to train in privacy somewhere and get his ring rust off so he can go with Cena at Mania. Miz could easily be inserted into the CM Punk/Orton feud and make that a triple threat. I have to believe that Vince is doing everything he can to convince Rock to come back for the match, as I know Cena would already be down for it.

Either way, I can't wait to see what happens when Rock comes back to RAW again. A true confrontation is what we're all dying to see, and when it happens we'll see who comes out on top, but right now I see it as Cena: 2, Rock: 1.

Kane Knight
02-27-2011, 04:54 PM
I just want to throw this out now.

Cena=Hitler.

Stop supporting Hitler, guys!

Tazz Dan
02-27-2011, 08:40 PM
I just want to throw this out now.

<s>Cena</s>TNA=Hitler.

Stop supporting Hitler, guys!

Didn't you see ooTin's spoiler thread?

Kane Knight
02-28-2011, 04:39 AM
I try not to read anything involving Indifferent's Sox.

Kane Knight
02-28-2011, 04:40 AM
Besides, John Cena is the worst thing to happen to wrestling ever. I'm sure we can all agree on that.

Swish
02-28-2011, 04:45 AM
And this is what The Rock thinks of John's responce

http://media.whosay.com/14018/14018_la.jpg

One Word: Ha Ha genius.

Brigstocke
02-28-2011, 05:55 AM

Three words: Not really genius.

dronepool
02-28-2011, 06:07 AM
Nice boots.

Supreme Olajuwon
02-28-2011, 07:27 AM
From the looks of this thread, lot of people getting worked here. Taking sides, arguing, getting defensive. Brilliant stuff. It's like we're back in the Land of Kayfabe.

WWE has so much to work with here, so they really can't screw this up. This is the most clamored for feud in wrestling since Austin/Goldberg, and we never even got that. There's blood in the water, chums.

Kane Knight
02-28-2011, 07:51 AM

Well ya. Cena=Hitler.

TAKE THAT, THIRD REICH!

Kane Knight
02-28-2011, 07:54 AM
From the looks of this thread, lot of people getting worked here. Taking sides, arguing, getting defensive. Brilliant stuff. It's like we're back in the Land of Kayfabe.

WWE has so much to work with here, so they really can't screw this up. This is the most clamored for feud in wrestling since Austin/Goldberg, and we never even got that. There's blood in the water, chums.

I never actually got why Goldberg/Austin was so hot.

I mean, on paper, i can sort of appreciate that two big names from rival companies, and that they were both bald....But that's about as far as it goes to me.

And that just doesn't get me hot.

Now, Cena and the Rock...Sexy...:shifty:

Kane Knight
02-28-2011, 07:56 AM
Oh, and sorry to bury the lead, but yeah, I think it's a good thing that so many people are getting worked up over this feud.

Supreme Olajuwon
02-28-2011, 08:02 AM
Plus, if this ever culminates in a match, we know for the sake of the company that Cena has to go over. And if that happens, oh my...

Troelar
02-28-2011, 08:12 AM
You know what would be awesome?

If instead of building for a Cena Vs. Rock match - you have the Rock tutoring The Miz on how to not suck, and how to beat John Cena.
This would really make it a Cena Vs. Miz match, but in spirit it's a bit of Cena Vs. Rock.

When Miz then loses you have a perfect opportunity for slowly building it up over the next year, until you have Rock Vs. Cena in 2012!

Miz gets a good rub from being tutored by Rock, A-Ri gets a secondary rub from being tutored by a guy being tutored by the Rock - and Cena gets to beat a guy tutored by the Rock (before defeated the actual Rock next year).

You could also go in the other way. Have Cena lose to the Miz and have it being implied that the Rock is the kryptonite to Cenas superman.

Have Cena lose with intervals during the coming year to people who are backed by the Rock. Until eventually he puts it all on the line next year. Career Vs. Career match at WM!

The Rock loses, and thus gets to leave the WWE again, without breaking his word - since he's kicked out. Cena gets to once again beat the overwhelming odds, this time fighting the Cenatonite (or what Cena kryptonite is called).

Either way it would be awesome!

Kane Knight
02-28-2011, 12:30 PM
Plus, if this ever culminates in a match, we know for the sake of the company that Cena has to go over. And if that happens, oh my...

If Cena wins, we Riot?

Aguakate
02-28-2011, 12:47 PM
It'd be SO awesome to see The Rock pick up his "Hollywood Rock" character from 2003 during this whole little feud with Cena.

Swish
02-28-2011, 12:51 PM
It'd be SO awesome to see The Rock pick up his "Hollywood Rock" character from 2003 during this whole little feud with Cena.

Not really cause The Rock was a heel back then.
This would clearly not work. i think the aim of this is for Cena to have a Heel turn. and the only way to do this is to bring in the Great One...

Aguakate
02-28-2011, 12:54 PM
Not really cause The Rock was a heel back then.
This would clearly not work. i think the aim of this is for Cena to have a Heel turn. and the only way to do this is to bring in the Great One...

If that's the way they're going, it's gonna be tricky.

A whole bunch of kids who never saw The Rock wrestle (therefore, don't know him) make up Cena's fanbase, and it's going to take some work for them to turn on John and back Rock.

That is unless, of course, Cena goes full-fledged heel and talks smack about the fans and all that. But if they (WWE) instead tries to turn Cena "subtlely", it won't be so easy.

Fox
02-28-2011, 03:51 PM
If that's the way they're going, it's gonna be tricky.

A whole bunch of kids who never saw The Rock wrestle (therefore, don't know him) make up Cena's fanbase, and it's going to take some work for them to turn on John and back Rock.

That is unless, of course, Cena goes full-fledged heel and talks smack about the fans and all that. But if they (WWE) instead tries to turn Cena "subtlely", it won't be so easy.

I think you underestimate the power the internet. The young Cena fans today (the 10-15 year olds) are all on the internet. They probably have more Facebook friends than you do (or I do). That means they have access to Youtube and they've probably watched lots of matches with The Rock, Stone Cold, Goldberg, etc. This isn't to say that they don't love Cena more, but I don't think turning them against him to back The Rock would be that hard, as they know what he's "all about."

Mr. JL
02-28-2011, 11:23 PM
Wow, I am no Cena fan but like the title says, he just killed The Rock.

Kane Knight
02-28-2011, 11:45 PM

praising Cena is practically a cardinal sin round here.

Fignuts
02-28-2011, 11:45 PM
Rock just killed Cena. Honestly don't know how Cena can come back from that one.

MoFo
02-28-2011, 11:50 PM

You must be a week late with this, because he was hideously bad tonight.

chrisat928
03-01-2011, 02:17 AM
This week's Dwayne promo didn't really help him. Fuck that was terrible.

Tom Guycott
03-01-2011, 02:58 AM
WWE has so much to work with here, so they really can't screw this up.

See: Goldberg v Lesnar, then quote Vince: "Anything can happen in the WW(E)!"

Hard to screw up, yes. Impossible, no.

Aguakate
03-01-2011, 03:26 AM
After watching RAW tonite, I get the feeling that unless The Rock and Cena end up having a match, there's no way that The Rock ends up the face and Cena the heel, 'cause, in essence, as WM Host, The Rock has the power to make Cena's life a living hell, so that wouldn't be something a face would do.

Lara Emily
03-01-2011, 03:30 AM
Rock just killed Cena. Honestly don't know how Cena can come back from that one.

It wasn't just a killing it was a massacre. Rock verbally put Cena through a woodchipper

dronepool
03-01-2011, 03:33 AM
Cena must be honored.

James Steele
03-01-2011, 03:36 AM
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4093/4776109707_c024cfeb79_z.jpg

Aguakate
03-01-2011, 03:41 AM
Cena looks like Randy Orton there.

James Steele
03-01-2011, 03:59 AM
The Rock looks like the bastard child of Rodney Daingerfield, Andre The Giant, Scott Steiner, and Prince.

Tom Guycott
03-01-2011, 06:15 AM
Rock looks like he traded the People's Eyebrow for one of those eyelash things from A Clockwork Orange, and Cena looks like an armorless Buzz Lightyear variant.

XL
03-01-2011, 08:03 AM
It wasn't just a killing it was a massacre. Rock verbally put Cena through a woodchipper
He did?

In that long-winded promo where he shouted a lot, right?

bigslimjj
03-01-2011, 10:06 AM
If Cena wins, we Riot?yep.

Supreme Olajuwon
03-01-2011, 10:25 AM
Love that the "jabroni beating, pie eating, trailblazing, eyebrow raising" guy thinks Cena is lame for rapping at him.

ace3025
03-01-2011, 11:51 AM
Last nights promo really didn't do anything for me. I basically said "there's some tension.....stay tuned". But that promo was really weak for Rock, he just kept saying that rap was dumb and he used the word electrify a lot. I can't stand the cena stuff we are forced to watch but he does seem to be out dueling the rock right now......hopefully that changes

Ol Dirty Dastard
03-01-2011, 08:54 PM
Loved the Rock's promo, the only problem was it wasn't in the building, which was pretty stupid.

Lui Kang
03-01-2011, 09:15 PM
Loved the Rock's promo, the only problem was it wasn't in the building, which was pretty stupid.

You don't really understand the WWE, wrestling, or The Rock's character if you truly do feel that way...but I guess there's nothing wrong with being a new fan.

I am guessing that you are very young in age and don't quite remember The Rock from back in the day, but I'll tell you this: Last night's promo was NOT one of Rocky's better one's. He was repetitive, unoriginal, and was way too obsequious towards the fans.

The Rock's promo from 15 days ago?...now THAT was a good promo. Cena's rap from 8 days ago was also exceptional.

Not being in the building had little to do with it.

Aguakate
03-01-2011, 10:29 PM
The Rock has to shoot on Diesel!

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/NYggzvjUKLI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Kane Knight
03-01-2011, 11:01 PM

Explain to me why this matters one bit?

Juan
03-02-2011, 03:04 AM
I'm sure the live crowd was a little disappointed...

Tom Guycott
03-02-2011, 03:34 AM
Love that the "jabroni beating, pie eating, trailblazing, eyebrow raising" guy thinks Cena is lame for rapping at him.

Not so much a rap as a "Flair-ism" ("The limousine riding, jet flying, wheelin', dealin', kiss stealin', son-of-a-gun! WHOOO!") descriptor; the same as has been appropriated and used by/for MVP, Pope, and Sandman, among others.

James Steele
03-02-2011, 03:55 AM
Yeah. You tellin' me Dusty Rhodes was rapping?

Tom Guycott
03-02-2011, 08:00 AM
Not rappin'. Moar lie' talkinnnn, but in a rhymin' fashion, eef you wheeeel.

Ol Dirty Dastard
03-02-2011, 12:10 PM
Explain to me why this matters one bit?

Because the live crowd wanted to see him in the building. Crowds tend to feel ripped off when ur like "We're going to hear from the rock" and it turns out he's doing a "satellite" interview. It drains the live atmosphere from it.

But whatever what do I know, I've only been watching wrestling for 20 years.

the promo was sick, he added intensity, he brought up his heritage, he showed the viewing audience the importance wrestling has in his family. They however made it seem like he was actually gonna be there, and instead he was just on the titan tron. So it was lame.

But ok guy I'm wrong :)

Ol Dirty Dastard
03-02-2011, 12:11 PM
You don't really understand the WWE, wrestling, or The Rock's character if you truly do feel that way...but I guess there's nothing wrong with being a new fan.

I am guessing that you are very young in age and don't quite remember The Rock from back in the day, but I'll tell you this: Last night's promo was NOT one of Rocky's better one's. He was repetitive, unoriginal, and was way too obsequious towards the fans.

The Rock's promo from 15 days ago?...now THAT was a good promo. Cena's rap from 8 days ago was also exceptional.

Not being in the building had little to do with it.

You're clearly an idiot. :)

Ol Dirty Dastard
03-02-2011, 12:17 PM
Cena's promo on the Miz on Monday was one of the worst things I've EVER seen. He knows just how to completely take the steam out of characters and feuds.

ireland
03-02-2011, 02:31 PM
all these promos are great but is there any hope of a match and if there is ...when? The next ppv after WM?? Not a hope, so which way is this cena - miz-rock thing gonna go? would it be summerslam ? or what do people think?

Kane Knight
03-02-2011, 04:00 PM
I'm sure the live crowd was a little disappointed...

And?

Juan
03-02-2011, 04:03 PM
I was agreeing with you.

Supreme Olajuwon
03-02-2011, 04:25 PM
Not so much a rap as a "Flair-ism" ("The limousine riding, jet flying, wheelin', dealin', kiss stealin', son-of-a-gun! WHOOO!") descriptor; the same as has been appropriated and used by/for MVP, Pope, and Sandman, among others.

I know they're not the same, but is that really a distinction that makes the Rock cool and Cena lame? They're both up there "spinning their little nursery rhymes."

Swish
03-02-2011, 04:35 PM
The Rock has to shoot on Diesel!

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/NYggzvjUKLI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Wow Sean has really let him self go in this video, he looks stoned to hell.

XL
03-02-2011, 08:20 PM
I know they're not the same, but is that really a distinction that makes the Rock cool and Cena lame? They're both up there "spinning their little nursery rhymes."
The distinction is as follows: Rock is cool because we like him.

Seriously, according to these boards the guy "owned" Cena by repeating his catchphrase in a baby voice. As if that wouldn't work if he were to say "West In Pwieces" to Taker.

OK, that's not the long and short of Rock's first promo but still, his schtick hasn't been THAT impressive.

(Cena's promo earlier in the night was abysmal too)

YoungFlyFlashy
03-02-2011, 08:54 PM
Updated the first post, but in case you no longer check the first page and wanna re-live The Rock's reply, or missed it...

<object width="448" height="374"><param name="movie" value="http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/videos/e/16711680/wshhOL1aH0u67p2os3Wu"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/videos/e/16711680/wshhOL1aH0u67p2os3Wu" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" width="448" height="374"></embed></object>

Jura
03-02-2011, 09:10 PM
Volume is freakishly loud.

Kane Knight
03-02-2011, 09:13 PM
I was agreeing with you.

Just sounded like there was more to it.

YoungFlyFlashy
03-02-2011, 10:27 PM
The Rock posted the following message to John Cena, on his twitter…

“I should remind Cena I was NEVER scheduled to be on Raw last night. No problem – as promised, next time – LIVE – my boot to his ass. Yabba..”

I actually found this hilarious.

Savio
03-02-2011, 11:31 PM
I thought it started well and ended well....didnt like the middle.

Tom Guycott
03-03-2011, 12:32 AM
I don't agree that they "made it sound like The Rock would be in the building". They usually throw qualifiers that make a distinction between "via satallite/taped" and "LIVE and in-ring on the broadcast" even if they don't come out and say it. It seemed JR was about the only person who would take a more direct approach and out and out SAY if it were live or not.

Anyway, what I loved the most was the absolute SILENCE that he commanded. It wasn't just tuned audio so that we at home could hear him- everyone was fucking hanging on every word until prompted. Just about as powerful as the little kids who could barely even know who the Rock is chanted for him last week.

In essence, he's is 100% justified in saying that he can still "BRING IT" like no one else can.

XL
03-03-2011, 12:39 AM
EH. The kids will cheer for whatever WWE wants them to cheer for.

Juan
03-03-2011, 12:40 AM
OK XL, we get it, you don't like The Rock.

Kane Knight
03-03-2011, 12:57 AM
EH. The kids will cheer for whatever WWE wants them to cheer for.

LOL.

Lara Emily
03-03-2011, 12:58 AM
He did?

In that long-winded promo where he shouted a lot, right?

There was passion in that promo. Intensity that's been missing from actually most promos. You could feel that some of what the Rock was saying were probably his true feelings. Especially vis a vis his love for the wrestling business

Rock Bottom
03-03-2011, 01:54 AM
Man I haven't seen The Rock's reply or anything but to reply to the basis of the thread, if you think that's John Cena killing The Rock, more power to you. I saw it more as John Cena pretending he was the star of 8 Mile or some shit.

There is an overplayed Eminem song that was spawned from that retarded movie and dominated airwaves for the next seventy years, and in the recent Super Bowl weeks, a car commerical.

My guess is that this car commercial is what fired up John Cena to prepare for his promo against The Rock. Then after he said all that shit he had a serious look on his face like Denzel Washington after learning about some fucked up thing in a crazy movie and just left the ring acting like he just killed a man raping his daughter.

Rock Bottom
03-03-2011, 02:14 AM
Yeah I just watched it and I have to say Rocky didn't even have to leave the house to bury him again.

Ol Dirty Dastard
03-03-2011, 09:40 AM
To be honest, I don't think Rock and John Cena are actually trying to compete to see who has the better promos. They're both collectively trying to build interest into Wrestlemania.

Jura
03-03-2011, 10:05 AM
It would be brilliant if this was the plan for all these years. I mean instead of having The Rock come back and do something and feud with whoever is hot at the time, they build up tension between him and their golden boy for many years until they can finally do something about it.

Kane Knight
03-03-2011, 11:27 AM
There was passion in that promo. Intensity that's been missing from actually most promos. You could feel that some of what the Rock was saying were probably his true feelings. Especially vis a vis his love for the wrestling business

Please, write an essay on the roleplaying elements of missile command, or the deeper meaning of the Dr Isaac Yankem character.

I love these fairytales!

Kane Knight
03-03-2011, 11:37 AM
Alls I'm saying is you have to be fucking retarded if you think the Dwayne has more passion for the business than Cena does. One guy dropped the business for a more profitable one, and the other is a workhorse. Possibly the workhorse. I know the Rock was a company boy and a professional. He's also the guy who left.

Fortunately, Lara is fucking retarded, so she can get away with the claim.

Honestly, I don't begrudge the Rock his career move. A few of his movies are even entertaining. Something I sure as fuck can't say about Cena. I've defended his movie career to smarktards who cry sour grapes.

But really. Let's not pretend the dude is super passionate about the business. He got into wrestling because he couldn't play football. He left wrestling because...Well, why? Money? Passion? Whatever the case, it wasn't passion for WWE.

(Yes, I know he pays lip service to it benefitting WWE).

Actually, the newer promo's a great example. Shouting=/=passion. He shouted a lot, but it sounded about as passionate as a rape victim's orgasm.

Yeah yeah, I know, John Cena is the worst thing to ever happen to wrestling oh my god I hate him sooooooooo much.

Though I liked a couple of the lines. "I'm not a rapper. And clearly, neither are you."

Lara Emily
03-03-2011, 01:41 PM
Dude I never said Rock as more passion for wrestling then Cena I said there was more passion in that promo. No doubt Cena probably does have more passion for the business then Rock, I'm convinced the guy would if given the exact some out as Rock was actually turn down the opportunities

But I don't think it's fair to say Rock has no passion for wrestling he fucking grew up in the business

ooTin
03-04-2011, 10:32 AM
Ok guys. I want to know what you think the Rock is going to do at Wrestlemania. We all know he is the guest host and will be talking throughout the show. Specifically I want to know what you think Rock is going to do with John Cena.

Personally, I have no idea. Maybe and interference to cause him the match. But where would that lead?

Do you think Rock is going to get back in to the ring for some more matches?

Let me know what you think.

J Dogg Funk
03-04-2011, 11:48 AM
I just hope its not some stupid Swerve. I can see the Rock costing Cena the title somehow. Perhaps setting up a huge drawn out fued that could take place at SummerSlam or my wish - Wrestlemania 28 in Miami, when the Rock will probably be inducted into the Hall of Fame.

Sycophant
03-04-2011, 11:50 AM
The Rock WILL NOT wrestle in another match. He may give Cena and/or Miz the Rock Bottom or people's elbow, but will not wrestle a match. I look for things to heat up between Cena/Rock/ Miz and Rock will end up as a guest ref or something, but everyone else has already predicted this. This also depends on whether HBK refs the Taker-HHH match because I don't see them having two guest refs in the two biggest matches.

morgest1984
03-04-2011, 12:14 PM
I think Rock will end up hugging and shaking hands with Cena, this is all very similar to TYSON AND AUSTIN!! TYSON AND AUSTIN!!
I really hope im wrong.....

Xero
03-04-2011, 12:31 PM
I think Rock will end up hugging and shaking hands with Cena.

XCaliber
03-04-2011, 12:47 PM
It's no secret that The Miz looked up to The Rock so he could be very well help pass the torch to him but I'm sceptical like everyone else that he will come to terms with Cena instead.

YoungFlyFlashy
03-08-2011, 04:13 PM
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/7-wepX-Lh7w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Lui Kang
03-08-2011, 04:23 PM
@ this thread:

Unfortunately, most people do not have the ability to be unbiased and objective....hence, the "lack of love" for Cena displayed by most. I just find it mind boggling that people think that The Rock is completely owning Cena...when in reality, both men are getting in some great shots....with Cena even having a slight edge (but again - that's just my opinion).

Jordan
03-08-2011, 07:19 PM
Alls I'm saying is you have to be fucking retarded if you think the Dwayne has more passion for the business than Cena does. One guy dropped the business for a more profitable one, and the other is a workhorse. Possibly the workhorse. I know the Rock was a company boy and a professional. He's also the guy who left.

Fortunately, Lara is fucking retarded, so she can get away with the claim.

Honestly, I don't begrudge the Rock his career move. A few of his movies are even entertaining. Something I sure as fuck can't say about Cena. I've defended his movie career to smarktards who cry sour grapes.

But really. Let's not pretend the dude is super passionate about the business. He got into wrestling because he couldn't play football. He left wrestling because...Well, why? Money? Passion? Whatever the case, it wasn't passion for WWE.

(Yes, I know he pays lip service to it benefitting WWE).

Actually, the newer promo's a great example. Shouting=/=passion. He shouted a lot, but it sounded about as passionate as a rape victim's orgasm.

Yeah yeah, I know, John Cena is the worst thing to ever happen to wrestling oh my god I hate him sooooooooo much.

Though I liked a couple of the lines. "I'm not a rapper. And clearly, neither are you."

We have never agreed this much, ever.

Jura
03-08-2011, 07:59 PM
Kane Knight is in good company.

CSL
03-08-2011, 08:15 PM
So did you just forget your sign-in details or what?

#1-norm-fan
03-08-2011, 08:26 PM
HAHA @ 8:05

"You brought props!?!"

Jeritron
03-08-2011, 08:44 PM
The 4th installment just didn't measure up, but that's to be expected. After how personal The Rock took it last week, Cena wasn't left with many options this week.
The only way he could have kept it snowballing would be to in essence, turn heel, or call him out (in the ring).

As far as we know, neither of those are options. The back and forth could only go so long until it needs new direction, so I don't even blame Cena fully.

Kane Knight
03-09-2011, 04:41 PM
Dude I never said Rock as more passion for wrestling then Cena I said there was more passion in that promo. No doubt Cena probably does have more passion for the business then Rock, I'm convinced the guy would if given the exact some out as Rock was actually turn down the opportunities

But I don't think it's fair to say Rock has no passion for wrestling he fucking grew up in the business

You also indicated one could feel some of what the Rock was saying were his actual feelings. You can't tell me you mean that without validating his "passion" for the business.

"dude."

Stop making exuses. Especially when you write them in illiteretard. We get that enough from your sock.

Savio
03-09-2011, 07:41 PM
Cena beat Rock, 29-28, end of story.

YoungFlyFlashy
03-13-2011, 04:28 AM
The Rock has returned to the WWE and picked a fight with John Cena. Rock has cut promos on Cena trashing everything from his look, his raps, and his wrestling. The idea is to give Cena the rub but after four weeks one has to wonder if this grand plan is blowing up in the WWE‘s face.

I am no John Cena fan but I am starting to feel a little sorry for the guy. Here is a guy that has struggled over the last several years to appeal as a babyface to the mass WWE audience. As the top WWE babyface, Cena was often booed out of the building by vocal Cena haters for most of the last three years. Yet he did the unthinkable a few months back by turning “Cena Sucks” into a rallying cry and finally won the respect of his haters after his feud with Nexus.

Unfortunately all of that hard work was rewarded by inviting The Rock back to RAW only to have The Rock remind Cena haters as to every reason why they hated Cena in the first place. Over the course of a month, two interviews, and a couple of fun tweets, The Rock has now let everyone know just how lame John Cena and his character are and why you had every right to boo him in the first place.

I’ll give him credit as John Cena was up for the challenge. Cena and the WWE couldn’t stop talking about these great responses that John Cena would have to The Rock’s promos. The only problem here is that Cena’s responses sounded like something you’d hear from a boy in elementary school trying to verbally spar with the cool kid in high school. It didn’t take long for the crowd to pick up on it and in just a matter of five weeks John Cena has gone from the top WWE babyface to a truly pathetic figure playing to an audience that can’t stand him.

It all came to a head this past Monday after a week of the WWE heavily pushing Cena’s response to The Rock’s awesome promo via satellite. Cena’s “hip hop” response sounded more like a poem and bombed badly. The live crowd saw through it and Cena stood there in the middle of the ring looking more clueless than Courtney Love at the Pamela Anderson roast. It was at that moment where I started to think that the WWE has really screwed John Cena.

I get it. The idea of bringing The Rock in to feud with Cena is that he would give Cena the rub of arguably one of the five most popular WWE superstars in pro wrestling history. The predictable wrestling ending here is The Rock helping Cena beat The Miz ala Tyson and Austin at WrestleMania XIV with The Rock finally endorsing Cena in the end. Unfortunately for the WWE, The Rock has done such a great job of turning the entire WWE Universe against John Cena that he would look just as lame as Cena at this point in endorsing the former WWE champion.

You don’t bring a knife to a gun fight and Cena has brought a pocket knife to a war with The Rock. I blame the WWE writers or whoever let Cena walk out there with this crap. What the WWE should have done is paid big bucks to an established rapper to help Cena deliver more creative promos in a way that would actually win him some credibility with the audience. My hunch is that there is nobody writing for the WWE today that has a clue about rap in 2011…just a hunch.

Check out the full Camel Clutch Blog Pro Wrestling and MMA store for videos, t-shirts, books, and more.

Additionally, Cena has spent so much time dueling with The Rock that The Miz and the WWE title look like a complete afterthought at this point. This is like if Jon Bones Jones was talking trash on another UFC fighter in the weeks leading to his fight with light heavyweight champion Shogun Rua and barely mentioning the champ. The only interest anyone has in seeing Cena vs. The Miz at WrestleMania at this point is what happens with The Rock and Cena. Cena vs. The Miz is almost like the long wrestling rest hold whereas The Rock vs. Cena is the high spot and while that may be good for one night, it isn’t good for the long term.

Business is up all across the board for the WWE and the RAW ratings have been fantastic. There is more interest in this year’s WrestleMania than any other WrestleMania in the last seven years. But at the end of the day I think that the WWE has done more damage long term to their product than they realize. The short term benefits will linger for a few weeks but how many fans are really staying tuned to watch John Cena and The Miz?

There is really only one way to get out of this and I don’t think that the WWE has the guts to do it. Cena needs to lay out The Rock at WrestleMania and do a double turn with The Miz going babyface and Cena the heel. I think WWE fans can actually sympathize a little bit with The Miz being disrespected as world champion and could get behind him as a babyface vs. Cena. Cena laying out The Rock would earn him some credibility back after being pushed around for the last few weeks by the Great One and could use this frustration as fuel for a heck of a heel run.

So what the WWE has at this point is one wrestler who has skyrocketed to become the most popular star in the company who won’t even be around after WrestleMania 27, a top babyface that has been dressed down and exposed as being the most uncool wrestler in the WWE, and a world champion that is a complete afterthought. Good luck on those Miz vs. Cena post-WrestleMania rematches.

YoungFlyFlashy
03-13-2011, 04:29 AM
Better quality...

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/B8xcFluzyCI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

KNicko
03-13-2011, 04:57 AM
The WWE have let Cena say anything they like 'I Bring It Via Satellite' doesn't look good for The Rock, but I doubt they'll let The Great One say anything about Cena. Cena has edged The Rock so far but they're not playing on a level playing field..