PDA

View Full Version : Rock is getting weird

Rock Bottom
03-30-2011, 02:25 AM
Still my favorite. But man. This "Team Bring It" shit, and the stuff he posts on twitter is kind of weird. I guess his life is a lot different now. I think he's kind of out of his element. Especially with this PG rating thing. The Rock telling people to "stick their insecurities straight up the doubter's candy ass" or whatever he said, that's just... Not The Rock we remember.

I'm not even talking about the ring rust. That's to be expected. Looks like he's in good shape and everything. But I wonder if guys like Rock or Austin could thrive in today's atmosphere. I think so, but not as much. They're already established icons. So yes, they will blow roofs apart when they come out.

Rock vs. Cena promo struck me as a little weird. The Rock isn't the "believe in yourself" type, or he wasn't, anyway. He was the opposite.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/76TX_4qo2Pw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sorry for the shitty quality, just grabbed what I could. That's what got Rock over. He and Austin kind of snowballed, they had everyone sucked in so far that they were in the palms of their hands, and everything they said and did was pretty awesome. To their credit, they both managed to heel for short periods even after their stardom. But that only made them more over when they turned back or returned.

Just an observation. Not meant to be another Rock and Cena debate, because it still isn't close. But Rock is a little restrained and seems a little out of his groove. Cena seems to hold his composure really well in these circumstances and I have to give him some credit for that.

I have to admit though, overall, that The Rock's fan response are dividends from his years in the attitude era. Would I still be a fan if he were to have had his first match a month ago? Probably, but perhaps not as big.

Still a Rock mark. Still consider Austin to be the top dog of all times, and Rock at an asshair's 2nd place somewhere in the ball park of Hogan. Time will tell on that, but for the most part, I'm anxious to see whether The Rock can ride this new wave, or if he'll be out so quickly it won't matter. One of his major successes was moving up the way he did, not being completely beaten up and injured. And it won't happen next month, or next year, but there is still the possibility that in this era of wrestling, he could beat up his image.

Not because he's bad, but because he used to be that good. Maybe he's reached his potential, always seemed to be getting better as time passed. Now that he's been away, it's just, well, weird.

dronepool
03-30-2011, 02:27 AM
I remember watching this. Damn.

Nightwing
03-30-2011, 02:38 AM
When Cena, Rock, and Miz were in the ring I felt Rock really looked out of place. He just seems so much more above them.

Rock Bottom
03-30-2011, 02:42 AM
That's a good point, but when Rock was around there was a lot of talent that people actually took seriously. WWE seems like they sabotage their guys wish fast aborted pushes.

And to clarify, I think Rock/Austin were better than Hogan because of the fact that they didn't have to be superman all the time to be over. They gave up big matches. You can say what you want about Austin not jobbing for Lesnar, but that's another topic entirely. He lost his fair share of matches. Rock took a lot of three counts though.

Hogan never did that. Doesn't look like Cena did either, (I really suck at not making this a Rock/Cena debate, just trying to find any sort of parallel) but I can't really say for sure on that, haven't followed him nearly as closely.

But that takes you back to the talent pool. Or at least a talent pool that wasn't as badly/hastily chewed up and spit out.

I have to give merit to the point that Rock's company isn't exactly what it used to be either, and that may have a lot to do with it. Still one of the greatest though, all this discussion and the fucker hasn't even wrestled yet.

If Austin weren't busy with Tough Enough I'd have loved to see The Rock interact more with him. But that might bury the talent a little too much. Cool kids club that no one else would be in.

Rock Bottom
03-30-2011, 03:04 AM
When Cena, Rock, and Miz were in the ring I felt Rock really looked out of place. He just seems so much more above them.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/sL-2oYAI35o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

On a different planet entirely.

Londoner
03-30-2011, 03:12 AM
Yeah this is what i thought. Seemed kinda odd.

#BROKEN Hasney
03-30-2011, 03:22 AM
He and Austin kind of snowballed

Must have missed that episode of Raw.

Ew.

Rock Bottom
03-30-2011, 03:25 AM
Must have missed that episode of Raw.

Ew.

It wasn't on Raw.

They spent a few minutes alone in a room after WM19. THIS IS TRUE

HBPunk
03-30-2011, 04:46 AM
Yup leave it to you guys to try to spoil even The Rock's return. Nothing is ever good enough for you so why bother even living? The Rock was awesome both times he's been on Raw simple as, so please please shut the fuck up

Londoner
03-30-2011, 05:26 AM
Yup leave it to you guys to try to spoil even The Rock's return. Nothing is ever good enough for you so why bother even living? The Rock was awesome both times he's been on Raw simple as, so please please shut the fuck up

Lol. Was waiting for this response.

TGR
03-30-2011, 08:43 AM
Anyone would be hamstring by the restrictions placed on them in this scenario.

Rock and Cena aren't bad; They're just working with a bad situation.

Londoner
03-30-2011, 08:51 AM
^ That is true i think.

RVDmark
03-30-2011, 09:32 AM
Did anyone else get the feeling that Rock didn't have an answer for what Cena said.

As much as I hate to admit it, Cena had a point.

Noticably though, there was no Rock Bottom's handed out on Raw, so someone is getting one come 'mania.

Ol Dirty Dastard
03-30-2011, 09:55 AM
Wow, I hate all of you

dingdongyo
03-30-2011, 10:37 AM
"team bring it" is weird, and it does feel forced to me.

Jordan
03-30-2011, 10:48 AM
He's off, but just remember Jericho when he came back and feuded with JBL, how off he was. It will take a while, obviously he's one of the boys again, especially after Monday. He's character will form itself organically and change in the correct way as it progresses.

JimmyMess
03-30-2011, 11:52 AM
I share a lot of the same views as you guys. My take on the Rock and Cena confrontation is that whenever Rock was in the shit with whoever, they were always going back and forth trying to get under each others skin. Or just flat out saying "I'll whip your ass" or "kick your ass" or whatever. Cena doesn't say that, which is kind of lame, but at the same time works. He takes a laid back approach, and basically does a worked shoot on him. It didn't give Rocky anything to work off of in terms of The Rock "character."

Back in the day if Rock was allowed to interrupt Cena's (which I bet he wasn't on Monday) he would have.

Plus I remember the specific part when Cena was talking and the fans started a huge "Cena Sucks" chant. Attitude-era Rock would have simply stopped him with a "The Rock can't hear what you are saying because there are 20,000 people yelling that you absolutely SUCK"

But EFF y'all The Rock is AWESOME

NormanSmiley
03-30-2011, 01:19 PM
if there is nit-picking to be done on the rock its the team bring it speech was overdone on monday and his first promo from his house via satelite he kissed ass a little too much that it seemed out of character.

as far as having no response to cena on monday.. the rock could have buried cena without even a written script but Cena has to be protected. rock will be on raw next week then after that will likely ride off again so why have your top guy get buried only to have rock leave? protect your top guy

Jura
03-30-2011, 01:41 PM
As for the Team Bring It thing, I've been reading his tweets for a couple of weeks now and it seems like he's religious and wants to inspire people and from the responses he gets it seems like he does.

Londoner
03-30-2011, 01:45 PM
As for the Team Bring It thing, I've been reading his tweets for a couple of weeks now and it seems like he's religious and wants to inspire people and from the responses he gets it seems like he does.

Been seeing that on facebook to. :mad:

Got to say though I marked like crazy for the DDT he did.

Damian Rey
03-30-2011, 03:12 PM
Been seeing that on facebook to. :mad:

Got to say though I marked like crazy for the DDT he did.

Couldn't embed on my crappy work computer, but skipt to about 11:30 :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLdf7rhyyds

St. Jimmy
03-30-2011, 03:18 PM
Triple H will have one of these self motivational promos.

"AND WHEN YOU'RE A MEMBER OF "TEAM SUCK-IT", YOU'RE A MEMBER FOREVER"

Rock Bottom
03-30-2011, 03:47 PM
"AND WHEN YOU'RE A MEMBER OF "TEAM SUCK-IT", YOU'RE A MEMBER FOREVER"

lol

And yeah, as far as the DDT, he used to do a cooler one, when he could pull it off. "Layin' the Smack Down DDT" was pretty cool when he did it right. He stopped doing Samoan Drops as well.

Rock Bottom
03-30-2011, 03:50 PM

Dunno if you're just trolling or what but I'm one of the hugest Rock marks on the planet. Not spoiling his return. Just noticing the difference between the attitude era and him being inserted into this PG stuff. Rock is mega restrained. And at the same time I wanted to be somewhat fair to Cena, because it's hard to say how well he'd have been received in the attitude era. Do I think it's close, no, but this is an example of having tied hands at its best.

Emperor Smeat
03-30-2011, 03:53 PM
There wasn't too much the Rock could do without overshadowing the Cena-Miz feud and for a while his promo war with Cena did just that until the final "throwdown" by Cena and Miz sneak attack.

WWE probably didn't want anything similar to when Austin was involved in the Lesnar-Goldberg feud and at Mania the crowd cared only for Austin. It also didn't help the match was bad wrestling-wise.

Damian Rey
03-30-2011, 04:40 PM
There wasn't too much the Rock could do without overshadowing the Cena-Miz feud and for a while his promo war with Cena did just that until the final "throwdown" by Cena and Miz sneak attack.

WWE probably didn't want anything similar to when Austin was involved in the Lesnar-Goldberg feud and at Mania the crowd cared only for Austin. It also didn't help the match was bad wrestling-wise.

I actually think the way they've went about the Miz/Cena build has been spot on. Cena has been too busy making gay references and cutting promos on the Rock, and Miz laid him out for weeks.

Last week was really the only week Cena didn't get his ass handed to him. And even then, Miz didn't get mauled either, up until last night, by a guy who's attention he's been in dire need of since the whoe Rock/Cena promo war started.

The way they've handled it has made the Miz look like a great threat. He has dominated Cena in this build, and even last Raw, instead of booking Cena to go after Miz, they have him cheap shot the Rock. That's great stuff right there. Having Cena overlook Miz going into Mania gives the feel that he could possibly be unprepared and too focused on somebody who he's not in match with, thus giving the feeling that he could lose.

I'm loving this right now. And with Rock ending Raw on his back, it's just making me wonder what the hell they have up their sleeve come Sunday.

BollywoodSingh
03-30-2011, 07:03 PM
His fans on Twitter are messaging him saying he changed their lives with his "bring it" attitude. These fans are saying that they beat depression, got fit, got promoted, etc, all because of The Rock. It's funny, because all The Rock does is say "bring it" or something like that in his tweets. These fans are just trying to get a retweet.

Londoner
03-30-2011, 07:25 PM
His fans on Twitter are messaging him saying he changed their lives with his "bring it" attitude. These fans are saying that they beat depression, got fit, got promoted, etc, all because of The Rock. It's funny, because all The Rock does is saying "bring it" or something that in his tweets. These fans are just trying to get a retweet.

Yeah, fucking retards.

#BROKEN Hasney
03-30-2011, 07:42 PM
I loved the second half of Cena's promo to be honest. It was passionate and from the heart, like something he's been wanting to say to someone for ages.

If The Rock sticks around after Mania, I hope they turn Cena. Or at least give him an edge and let the fans decide or something.

Damian Rey
03-30-2011, 08:09 PM
I don't think Cena should be turned. I like the idea of letting the fans decide. There's no replacement for Cena if he were to turn, unless they build someone up to that level, and have Cena turn on them and use that help propel the new guy.

With Rock only hanging around for so long, turning Cena heel would be pointless. Just get them in the ring and let great crowd reactions ensue.

viO
03-30-2011, 09:00 PM
Did anyone else get the feeling that Rock didn't have an answer for what Cena said.

As much as I hate to admit it, Cena had a point.

Noticably though, there was no Rock Bottom's handed out on Raw, so someone is getting one come 'mania.

It depends on how scripted it all was. If it was scripted word for word, for both men, then they could've done way better with Rock's part, he could've did his whole "How dare you jabroni, come out here and kiss my ass, blalbahblaala" and then addressed how Cena started it all to begin with.

It could've been a lot more entertaining and epic than it turned out to be.

Jura
03-30-2011, 09:06 PM
The thing is, with Rock's feuds sometimes the show ends with him getting beat or something and then the next time he gets even.

Rock Bottom
03-31-2011, 01:19 PM
I loved the second half of Cena's promo to be honest. It was passionate and from the heart, like something he's been wanting to say to someone for ages.

If The Rock sticks around after Mania, I hope they turn Cena. Or at least give him an edge and let the fans decide or something.

I think everything Cena says to The Rock is absolute garbage. Him talking shit about Rock on MTV or whatever was out of line. He probably has a hard-on for Rock competition wise, and Rock probably barely knows shit about him. That's the feeling I got Monday. Like Cena overestimated himself or something. Rock measured him Monday night when Cena got booed out of the building. Cena may have handled himself well, but from the beginning of this entire situation, Cena's been an idiot.

Rock Bottom
03-31-2011, 01:24 PM
I do agree with you though. The thing about him wanting to say it for ages. That's what makes it so gay. Cena seems to have had some illusion that he's in some contest with The Rock. And now he is. He likes to use his "love for the business" as ammo because that's all he has. It is a really weird imaginary war.

Wouldn't you think Show were out of line if he said he loved the business more than Andre the Giant? lol

Rock Bottom
03-31-2011, 01:34 PM
Man I'm a serious mark

Ruien
03-31-2011, 04:54 PM
I do agree with you though. The thing about him wanting to say it for ages. That's what makes it so gay. Cena seems to have had some illusion that he's in some contest with The Rock. And now he is. He likes to use his "love for the business" as ammo because that's all he has. It is a really weird imaginary war.

Wouldn't you think Show were out of line if he said he loved the business more than Andre the Giant? lol

Pretty sure he meant that Cena wanted to say it to the WWE audience for ages. Not just to The Rock. Especially the part about his fan base being kids, because a lot of people tend to hate that his character is directed towards kids. This was not something with Cena being in an illusion thinking he has been competing with The Rock.

HBPunk
03-31-2011, 05:03 PM
Man I'm a serious mark

You say mark, i say bellend

RVDmark
03-31-2011, 05:12 PM
Especially the part about his fan base being kids, because a lot of people tend to hate that his character is directed towards kids.

I don't hate that his character is directed towards kids, I hate that his character is directed away from adults.

People of ALL ages like The Rock, only kids like Cena.

Its a bit like Toy Story, yes its a kids movie, but there are some bits in there to keep the adults entertained. Cena doesn't get it.

Who cares, Rock is back for a while.

Ruien
03-31-2011, 05:51 PM
I don't hate that his character is directed towards kids, I hate that his character is directed away from adults.

People of ALL ages like The Rock, only kids like Cena.

Its a bit like Toy Story, yes its a kids movie, but there are some bits in there to keep the adults entertained. Cena doesn't get it.

Who cares, Rock is back for a while.

Pretty sure there are bits and pieces of Cena that you like. And no proper adult would have their 5 year old watching The Rock or anything to due with the WWF in the attitude era.

Rock Bottom
03-31-2011, 06:35 PM
The only bits and pieces of Cena that I'd like would be those that would result from an explosion.

Troelar
03-31-2011, 08:03 PM
Dream scenario: the "I Bring It" team is actually a way of setting Rock up as a super duper "we can all do it" face. Enabling a heel turn on Cenas part at WM!

Cena beats Miz at WM, but it laid out afterwards, Rock comes down chases off Miz and Riley. They shake hands - Attitude Adjustment.

Team Bring It it going after Cena, who is btw now the star of Michael Coles new stable...

You wanna know the best part? If we grant some current scientific theory, then there is a universe somewhere where this is what will actually happen!

Rock Bottom
04-01-2011, 05:37 AM
Pretty sure he meant that Cena wanted to say it to the WWE audience for ages. Not just to The Rock. Especially the part about his fan base being kids, because a lot of people tend to hate that his character is directed towards kids. This was not something with Cena being in an illusion thinking he has been competing with The Rock.

Yeah it is, it's pretty obvious. Read his body language. Cena looks like his dog is being held hostage when he looks at The Rock on any serious note. Remember who had the boner for who here.

They also didn't let Rock bury him with a "who in the blue hell are you" but they let Cena do the "who the hell are you... TO JUDGE ME!"

Pretty gay. I think he has an idea of where he stands now, after his promo and all. If he doesn't turn heel he'll probably never open his mouth about another wrestler again.

Rock Bottom
04-01-2011, 05:44 AM
Can't believe I'm buying into this shit, actually. But there is definitely merit to the notion that Cena made a miscalculation when comparing himself to The Rock. Not, even, close.

Fox
04-01-2011, 06:25 AM
I would actually be very interested in who has sold more merchandise for the company: John Cena or The Rock.

Rock Bottom
04-01-2011, 06:41 AM
From wrestlezone

It's being reported that John Cena's 2008 merchandise sales were the highest single year grossing numbers in company history with the exception of Stone Cold Steve Austin and Hulk Hogan. This has to be considered a huge accomplishment considering Cena was out of action for a few months during 2008.

Rock Bottom
04-01-2011, 06:41 AM
I guess you'd have to dig pretty deep, seeing a lot of "Rock outsold Austin" also. I can't find anything valid other than single year, or during a time period, etc. Nor have I found actual Rock/Austin numbers. So I guess you just have to reeeeeeeally dig unless someone here has facts like that to share

Fox
04-01-2011, 09:11 AM
Yeah, looked on their corporate website but it doesn't look like they have merchandise sales figures on a per-superstar basis available to the public - probably something you would have to request from them.

I dunno. Rock was obviously on top of the company during it's hottest period ever and the RAW's and PPV's he was headlining definitely drew far greater ratings/buyrates than the ones of Cena's era, but as far as merchandise goes (clothes, toys, etc), I think it'd be a tough one to call. Little kids buy shit tons of Cena merch.

Jura
04-01-2011, 10:56 AM
Well Cena has more than just shirts, he's got the sweatbands, chain, hat, spinner title etc.

Troelar
04-01-2011, 11:22 AM
Plus with the somewhat frequent colour changes, all the previous merchandise becomes outdated.

Before you say: "But the Rock also got new stuff with regular intervals", I would point out that while the Rock changed his stuff, it wasn't in a manner that made the previous stuff stick out like a sore thumb. However, having a purple Cena shirt will stick out, when the official colour is Orange (or whatever), making it more "necessary" to get the new stuff!

Does that make sense?

The Naitch
04-01-2011, 04:35 PM
FYI, along with Rock Bottom, I am probably the biggest Rock mark on these forums, so here's my two cents:

In life in general, The Rock has evolved to his utmost potential. I would like to say he's the most successful entertainer the WWE has produced. He has accomplished more than Austin and Hogan. Austin is not bigger than WWE, nor is Hogan. The Rock is.

But in the world of wrestling, The Rock hasn't evolved. Or atlest, he's gone stale. It's okay though since he's been gone, so his usual schtick still remains fresh since it's been so long since we last seen it. He still does his usual schtick, same spots, same catchphrases. Granted he's been gone for a while, so he needs time. Let's say he does stick around for a year. If so, he must evolve and develop some fresh material. Judging from this past week's RAW, he does the same shit, but he's been gone for 7 years or whatever, so it's okay if he did the same shit he was doing 7 years ago. It all depends on whether he wants to stick around for a while in the ring.

CM Punk is a perfect example of a guy that has evolved and is constantly evolving. He's had so many different looks, accomplished so much in a relatively short period of time. In retrospect, I don't think Rock can touch CM Punk. Or he shouldn't try to step on his toes, because IMO I think Punk has what it takes to make The Rock look bad.

Rock can "beef" with Cena because really, it's pretty easy to tear Cena apart

Rock Bottom
04-02-2011, 09:40 PM
I think Austin was bigger than Rock, maybe not after a certain point, but on a score card I'd have to give that to Austin. As far as WWE goes, obviously. But that point is highly debatable and probably always will be. It'd even be safe to say 'equal' with them. They were freakishly huge. You also don't find many people who are Rock fans but don't like Austin, and vice versa.

One thing I don't agree with is him not being able to touch CM Punk. Or him being stale. Or evolving. I just think he has a giant set of handcuffs on. Enough babbling about that though.

As I said before, if Austin weren't busy with Tough Enough I wonder what they'd have done. I'd love to see a Rock/Austin tag match at Mania, if Austin were physically able. Don't even care who they faced. It'd just be neat.

OR an Attitude Era survivor series tag match. Or something else that makes me look/feel like I can't let go of the last decade. :P

Rock Bottom
04-02-2011, 10:49 PM
I just read an interesting take saying one of the contributing factors of Rock "bringing it via satellite" was to save Cena from getting booed out of a building and giving people any time to get behind The Miz as a result. They also go to point out that nobody (at least in the broad spectrum) is giving a shit about The Miz at all, and that he lost like 600k viewers. Ouch. Doesn't make much sense to me about Miz. Why would anyone worry about people caring about him if 'nobody gives a shit.' lol

Lux
04-05-2011, 08:38 AM
Pretty sure there are bits and pieces of Cena that you like. And no proper adult would have their 5 year old watching The Rock or anything to due with the WWF in the attitude era.

you mean proper adult.

because censorship works even though we all grow up sometime and realize what was hidden from our eyes and ears...

Aguakate
04-06-2011, 12:04 AM
The Rock just said on Jay Leno he has a ring down in Florida and one in California where he always trains and stuff...

...nothing important, just that he never got away from actual wrestling...

Londoner
04-06-2011, 12:19 AM
Rock's on Jay Leno? I'll have to check that out.

Aguakate
04-06-2011, 12:21 AM
Rock's on Jay Leno? I'll have to check that out.

Well, he was...

...of course, it'll be on YouTube within minutes.

Londoner
04-06-2011, 12:47 AM
I'm not in the US anyway but we do get the Jay Leno show here at some point.

Aguakate
04-06-2011, 12:52 AM
<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" id="dmlkZW9faWQ9MTMxODIxMw==" width="512" height="354" align="middle"> <param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /> <param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /> <param name="movie" value="http://www.nbc.com/assets/video/5-0/swf/DirectWidget.swf?CXNID=1000004.10045NXC&widID=4727a250e66f9723&configXML=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nbc.com%2Fservice%2Fvideowidget%2Fparams%2FdmlkZW9faWQ9MTMxODIxMw%3D%3D%2 F" /> <param name="quality" value="high" /> <param name="bgcolor" value="#000000" /> <embed src="http://www.nbc.com/assets/video/5-0/swf/DirectWidget.swf?CXNID=1000004.10045NXC&widID=4727a250e66f9723&configXML=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nbc.com%2Fservice%2Fvideowidget%2Fparams%2FdmlkZW9faWQ9MTMxODIxMw%3D%3D%2 F" quality="high" bgcolor="#000000" width="512" height="354" align="middle" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"></embed></object>

Stickman
04-06-2011, 01:05 AM
I'm not impressed by the Rock on Raw this past monday, he was pretty generic Rock there.

Aguakate
04-06-2011, 01:06 AM
I'm not impressed by the Rock on Raw this past monday, he was pretty generic Rock there.

...Oh, no...

:nono: