PDA

View Full Version : What's with all the Rey Mysterio hate?

Graveler
09-29-2011, 04:56 PM
I honestly don't understand why some fans really hate him for. Sure he appeals to kids, but the guy consistently put on great matches. What's there to hate?

Jari
09-29-2011, 04:58 PM
I'm sure I speak for some when I say that he hasn't been forgiven for his part in using Eddie Guerrero's death as a storyline, running into Wrestlemania. I personally let that go a long time ago but it did bother me at the time.

Anybody Thrilla
Rey Mysterio is the man, as long as he doesn't have a microphone or a top tier championship. :y:

Jari
PS that Smackdown/Kofi gif is amazing.

Anybody Thrilla
09-29-2011, 04:59 PM
I'm sure I speak for some when I say that he hasn't been forgiven for his part in using Eddie Guerrero's death as a storyline, running into Wrestlemania. I personally let that go a long time ago but it did bother me at the time.

Is that even Rey's fault? I doubt he was on the book at the time. He was just a victim (:lol:) of circumstance.

Lock Jaw
09-29-2011, 05:01 PM
PS that Smackdown/Kofi gif is amazing.

Pretty amazing how none of them are doing it right.

Anyways, Rey is Awesome when he isn't feuding with a big monster type in a ULTIMATE UNDERDOG angle.

Anybody Thrilla
09-29-2011, 05:04 PM
His matches with Kurt Angle and Dolph Ziggler at those Summerslams alone are enough for me to love Rey forever, and those aren't even his biggest moments.

CSL
09-29-2011, 05:06 PM
most consistent wrestler of the last 20 years not named Shawn Michaels. He's the man.

Jari
09-29-2011, 05:08 PM
Is that even Rey's fault? I doubt he was on the book at the time. He was just a victim (:lol:) of circumstance.
I think it's fair to say that Rey could have refused to go along with certain aspects and there was no need for the constant Eddie references week in, week out.

Anybody Thrilla
09-29-2011, 05:09 PM
Is it weird that I really like his theme song still? Gets me amped up.

Anybody Thrilla
09-29-2011, 05:11 PM
I think it's fair to say that Rey could have refused to go along with certain aspects and there was no need for the constant Eddie references week in, week out.

You wanted him to refuse to become World Heavyweight Champion? Yes, he COULD have done that, but it would have been silly. He could have done what Chavo did (refuse to work the Kerwin White gimmick any longer), but I don't think we have to compare the careers of Mysterio and Chavo right now.

Eklipse
09-29-2011, 05:11 PM
I never really disliked him until he won the whc. and from there it's just gotten worse. Seems like he's injured more than 'Taker these days.

CSL
09-29-2011, 05:12 PM
why would his amount of injuries have any bearing on your opinion of him?

Anybody Thrilla
09-29-2011, 05:13 PM
VINCE: Rey, I'm sorry about the loss of your close friend. We had big plans for him...so out of respect, and maybe to make some money for his family, we're going to go through with a storyline where you win the title in his honor. It will start with you winning the Royal Rumble.

REY: No way.

VINCE: .....OK. Unrelated question, do you know your size for an eagle suit off the top of your head?

CSL
09-29-2011, 05:14 PM
not to mention he was one of Eddie's legit best friends. Pretty sure he was in a better position to decide what was "too much" in regards to Eddie and his family as opposed to some people on the internet.

Sixx
09-29-2011, 05:21 PM
Probably cause he's fucking up the Mexican stereotype.

What's with the high flying and shit instead of sleeping under a cactus and mownlawing?

Anybody Thrilla
09-29-2011, 05:22 PM
Are you Shisen's understudy?

Eklipse
09-29-2011, 05:27 PM
why would his amount of injuries have any bearing on your opinion of him?

It doesn't really. I think people have lost a lot of interest in him since he's constantly injured or having surgery.

Jari
09-29-2011, 05:27 PM
VINCE: Rey, I'm sorry about the loss of your close friend. We had big plans for him...so out of respect, and maybe to make some money for his family, we're going to go through with a storyline where you win the title in his honor. It will start with you winning the Royal Rumble.

REY: No way.

VINCE: .....OK. Unrelated question, do you know your size for an eagle suit off the top of your head?
As I said this is a reason why I suspect people didn't/don't like him. As I also said, I let this go a long time ago and realise that it was a pretty irrational thing to get bothered about.

Anybody Thrilla
09-29-2011, 05:31 PM
And I'm presenting the other side of it so that a discussion can be had.

Anybody Thrilla
09-29-2011, 05:32 PM
I didn't like the way that he was booked as World champion, so I didn't look forward to seeing him at the time. Especially since he was getting squashed by the likes of Great Khali and Mark Henry on a weekly basis. That didn't make me like him any less as a performer, though. I know what he's capable of.

Londoner
09-29-2011, 05:44 PM
I just got bored with him I think, seeing the same matches over n over, though he can have brilliant matches still.

Jari
09-29-2011, 05:55 PM
And I'm presenting the other side of it so that a discussion can be had.
And I appreciate that. I think my main problem was not the concept of Rey winning the title in Eddie's honour but rather the way his death was used as a basis for a feud.

My biggest point was when Randy Orton told Rey that Eddie "is in hell" just because it seemed so unnecessary and went past the point of Rey winning as a tribute but was instead all that feud became about. Assuming, and I really hope they did, the WWE told Rey that Orton was going to say that, he would have been entirely within his right to say "that's taking things too far" and no one would have punished him.

BigDaddyCool
09-29-2011, 05:58 PM
I hate him. He is too small to be believable. Every match is the same. He gets crushed then win with a cheap roll up or something. Lame. Stupid mexican midget.

Anybody Thrilla
09-29-2011, 05:58 PM
I don't see a problem with a heel being an asshole. It's not like he showed up at Eddie's funeral with a megaphone and stole the casket with Rey clinging to it whilst wearing leather pants. :shifty:

jskinnyg
09-29-2011, 05:59 PM
Rey in the PG era bothers me a bit, but he's just doing his job and trying to extend his career after years of high flying and taking risks... I am not a fan now... The EG story line after Eddie's death was a WWE thing not Rey's idea I am sure...

This match 1997 Halloween Havoc with Eddie is by far the best Rey match I have ever seen...
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/7GKVLL3Hyg8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Anybody Thrilla
09-29-2011, 05:59 PM
BDC cares more for Swagger.

Anybody Thrilla
09-29-2011, 06:02 PM
You know something that a lot of people seem to overlook about the whole thing is that the crowds were still white hot for Eddie after he passed. They were chanting his name louder than just about anyone else STILL. Was all of that supposed to just be ignored? Orton making that comment was pretty standard heel stuff.

BigDaddyCool
09-29-2011, 06:04 PM
I only technically care for swagger more because I hate rey that much.

Wishbone
09-29-2011, 06:04 PM
Love Rey and even in the world title picture he was entertaining. You can say what you want but he still managed to be a more reputable champion then Del Rio or Christian (no hate on either of those guys from me I like them too, but seems the 'IWC'/TPWW thinks they are gold and have been used wrong time and time again). Given the right booking Rey could be a great champion and with his merchandise sales he'd be a good candidate. My opinion is that the Rey hate is a surrogate for the old Cena hate now that it's no longer 'cool'.

Anybody Thrilla
09-29-2011, 06:07 PM
I...care for swagger...

:eek:

What a scoop!

BigDaddyCool
09-29-2011, 06:08 PM
I still don't care for swagger.

Anybody Thrilla
09-29-2011, 06:11 PM
I still...care for swagger.

After all this time? Amazing.

Jari
09-29-2011, 06:11 PM
You know something that a lot of people seem to overlook about the whole thing is that the crowds were still white hot for Eddie after he passed. They were chanting his name louder than just about anyone else STILL. Was all of that supposed to just be ignored? Orton making that comment was pretty standard heel stuff.
I would actually consider it anything but standard. Can't think of anyone who has ever made reference to a legitmately dead co-worker or peer other than Orton and Batista.

HBK or HHH never made reference to Brian Pillman to the Hart Foundation nor did anyone make mention of Owen to Bret thus making it very wide of the mark to suggest that it was "pretty standard heel stuff"

The crowds were still hot for Eddie as they were almost inevitably going to be until the Hall of Fame when Eddie was inducted, that point I don't argue. What was done with the reactions and how they were used for business can be questionned and were by many.

BigDaddyCool
09-29-2011, 06:13 PM
After all this time? Amazing.

I hate you and everything you represent. :foc:

Anybody Thrilla
09-29-2011, 06:16 PM
I would actually consider it anything but standard. Can't think of anyone who has ever made reference to a legitmately dead co-worker or peer other than Orton and Batista.

HBK or HHH never made reference to Brian Pillman to the Hart Foundation nor did anyone make mention of Owen to Bret thus making it very wide of the mark to suggest that it was "pretty standard heel stuff"

The crowds were still hot for Eddie as they were almost inevitably going to be until the Hall of Fame when Eddie was inducted, that point I don't argue. What was done with the reactions and how they were used for business can be questionned and were by many.

What I meant by "pretty standard stuff" was a heel saying something that the crowd would obviously react negatively to. In Heel 101, the first lesson they teach is that when the crowd is in support of someone (in this case, Eddie), you should run that person down to gain their disapproval (what Randy did). He was trying to strike a chord with his opponent and the fans, and I think that's pretty standard.

Wishbone
09-29-2011, 06:17 PM

You can't use Owen as an example for this as his death was extremely controversial and using it would have caused a shit storm that would not have been worth it.

Rammsteinmad
09-29-2011, 06:17 PM
I've always been a big fan of Reys, and have always defended him when people (aka PROBABLY most of the people in this thread) were shitting on him.

Loved him in WCW. His matches in WWE are consistantly great, but sadly his booking isn't. I know he appears to kids etc, but he's been playing the same character for the last nine years! Kinda boring now y'know?

Anybody Thrilla
09-29-2011, 06:18 PM
Can professional wrestling really go 'too far'? I mean, really? It's professional fucking wrestling.

As far as business, didn't the proceeds from Eddie's merch all go to his family? If that's the case, keeping him relevant on TV could only help them, which I think is noble.

Wishbone
09-29-2011, 06:21 PM
As far as business, didn't the proceeds from Eddie's merch all go to his family? If that's the case, keeping him relevant on TV could only help them, which I think is noble.

:y:

GD
09-29-2011, 06:22 PM
I was a huge mark during his underdog days on Smackdown. I love Rey Mysterio's in-ring work but there are certain things that I highly dislike. The way he sets up his opponent for the 619 makes me want to puke sometimes. The way he defeats superheavyweights like Kane, Big Show and Wade Barrett makes me want to bang my head on the wall.

On the other hand, there are certain things that I simply love about him. Like the mask thingy he does with the kids (so adorable). And also on a personal note, I look up to him. He is like a ray of inspiration for a little guy like me.

Anybody Thrilla
09-29-2011, 06:24 PM
On a slightly related note, how awesome was it when Rey Mysterio was doing his little mask thing with the audience, only to be punched in the face and jumped by Chris Jericho from the audience? That was brilliant.

Next Big Thing
09-29-2011, 06:25 PM

MNM referenced Hawk in their feud with Animal and Heidenreich. I only remember that because I was kind of shocked/surprised by it. I can see both sides where on one hand it does seem like poor taste and a cheap way for heat, but on the other side, it's all scripted and I'm sure that line wasn't crossed without the consent of Rey and maybe even Chavo and Vicky.

Rammsteinmad
09-29-2011, 06:27 PM
To be fair, I seriously doubt any of you would decline an offer to win a World Championship at Wrestlemania in a storyline based/dedicated to your dead friend.

If you do, you're a moron.

Anybody Thrilla
09-29-2011, 06:28 PM
I'm going to take this a step further and say that I thought it was more in poor taste to pretend that Vince McMahon was dead.

Next Big Thing
09-29-2011, 06:29 PM
I think any wrestler that is a WWE mass marketed babyface for a prolonged period of time will generate resentment from some fans regardless of their in ring performance.

I do agree that Rey is better when he isn't in the "Giant Killer" role or as World Heavyweight Champion. He could probably do with a better finisher for larger opponents too. Seeing him hit the 619 on a guy like Kane is groan worthy.

Jari
09-29-2011, 06:35 PM
To be fair, I seriously doubt any of you would decline an offer to win a World Championship at Wrestlemania in a storyline based/dedicated to your dead friend.

If you do, you're a moron.
There's a difference between accepting/refusing the storyline and pointing out a personal problem with a fellow worker getting cheap heat by exploiting one of your friends recent death.

Rammsteinmad
09-29-2011, 06:44 PM
pointing out a personal problem with a fellow worker getting cheap heat by exploiting one of your friends recent death.

Are you referring to Orton's comments? I'm kinda lost here...

Jari
09-29-2011, 06:47 PM
I am yes.

Anybody Thrilla
09-29-2011, 06:52 PM
Heat is heat, if you ask me. I don't think Eddie would have minded himself.

Rammsteinmad
09-29-2011, 06:52 PM
Nah come on. None of us knew any of these guys personally. Eddie and Rey were close, and I'm sure Orton was friends too. They know when they're going too far, and I'm sure they knew Eddie wouldn't have minded. The guy grew up in the wrestling industry, he'd 'get it'.

Rammsteinmad
09-29-2011, 06:53 PM
I know if I was in Eddie shoes, I wouldn't have minded a single bit.

Mind you, it would be totally moot since I'm dead anyway.

Anybody Thrilla
09-29-2011, 06:53 PM
Even still, though...this thread is about why people hate Rey Mysterio. Can you really hold the fact that he didn't get upset with Randy Orton (the guy who ACTUALLY SAID IT) against him? I think not.

Rammsteinmad
09-29-2011, 06:55 PM
Of course not. I doubt Orton would have even thought about saying something like that without Rey's blessing.

Juan
09-29-2011, 06:56 PM
most consistent wrestler of the last 20 years not named Shawn Michaels. He's the man.

jskinnyg
09-29-2011, 07:07 PM
Can professional wrestling really go 'too far'? I mean, really? It's professional fucking wrestling.

Had forgotten about that... And look how much heat Vicki continues to get... And camera time... That helps to pay those bills too...

Nicky Fives
09-29-2011, 07:07 PM
Rey Mysterio is the man, as long as he doesn't have a microphone or a top tier championship. :y:

my sentiments exactly....

Captain of Fun
09-29-2011, 10:20 PM
This is like the 78465764675 time this has been discussed. Can we just move the fuck on already?

St. Jimmy
09-30-2011, 01:39 AM
He's short. Lucha + WWE Style Doesn't Work. He cannot cut a promo. His look is goofy. He looks gassed up for a short guy. Due to that Lucha-esque style with his size he is severely limited as to who he can worth with. He's generally a mid-card, low-card talent who has been promoted as a Heavyweight. The concept is laughable. He accentuates the fakeness of wrestling.

Rammsteinmad
09-30-2011, 02:08 AM
This is like the 78465764675 time this has been discussed. Can we just move the fuck on already?

What? You've only been here for a month. Shut up and discuss Rey Mysterio.

Juan
09-30-2011, 02:11 AM
He's short. Lucha + WWE Style Doesn't Work.

So with this statement, I'm assuming you're ignoring all the great matches he's had with guys of all sizes in WWE, yes?

Aguakate
09-30-2011, 02:12 AM

His name really is ironic. He NEVER posts anything positive, he's always bitching and criticizing...

...hence, he really is no "fun" :-\

KaosDarksol
09-30-2011, 03:51 AM
I hate him for being pushed due to eddie's death. If Eddie was still alive mysterio would be nowhere near where he is

Juan
09-30-2011, 03:53 AM
I hate him for being pushed due to eddie's death. If Eddie was still alive mysterio would be nowhere near where he is

lol

Captain of Fun
09-30-2011, 04:07 AM

I've been here for 7 years, you limey cunt.

Captain of Fun
09-30-2011, 04:08 AM

You are completely fucking delusional.

#BROKEN Hasney
09-30-2011, 04:10 AM
Captain of Profanity

ZosoMetalManiac
09-30-2011, 05:14 AM
His matches have become predictable to me. I loved Rey Mysterio in his WCW days. If I go back and watch one of those matches, I'm in awe. If I watch his matches now...meh. Not horrible but definitely not the same caliber. Though, it's not all his fault. He's aged and had injuries and all that.

Rammsteinmad
09-30-2011, 05:30 AM
I've been here for 7 years, you limey cunt.

16th August 2011 was seven years ago?

XL
09-30-2011, 11:21 AM
This is pretty accurate, really.

not to mention he was one of Eddie's legit best friends. Pretty sure he was in a better position to decide what was "too much" in regards to Eddie and his family as opposed to some people on the internet.
BUT THAT'S WHAT WE DO HERE!!!

Captain of Fun
09-30-2011, 11:25 AM
16th August 2011 was seven years ago?

I am more than meets the eye.

XL
09-30-2011, 11:26 AM
I think the only major gripe I've had with Rey over the last few years was when they put the WHC on him for the second time.

IIRC, Rey was due some time off to rest up (for a change) but Taker went out on injury (for a change), I think due to Rey injuring his face. Rey was asked to postpone his rest and all of a sudden he's World Champ. Just kinda stunk of "If you delay your rest we'll put the strap on you".

Again, I guess Rey would be stupid to say no in that situation but it just kinda sat wrong with me.

In fairness to the guy he has had some superb matches over the last couple of years (with Jericho, Punk, Rhodes, I even enjoyed the match with Cena on Raw).

Innovator
09-30-2011, 12:00 PM
Rey is fucking awesome.

Mr. Nerfect
09-30-2011, 06:27 PM
Rey Mysterio was going to be a World Heavyweight Champion regardless of if Eddie passed away or not. They were in the process of building him (using Eddie Guerrero) since about WrestleMania 21. Now, he may not have won the 2006 Royal Rumble; but I guarantee you that Mysterio would have "won the big one." Anyone who doesn't think so is "fucking delusional."

Also, Rey is a tremendous worker who moves tons and tons of merchandise and gets people invested into his matches. He is possibly one of the best choices for a World Champion in the entire company -- even as he is moving into a stage of his career where he is not as healthy and reliable (as far as being on the road goes) as he once was. Mysterio should be making some new stars along the way; but Rey's World Heavyweight Title win last year and WWE Title win this year were all sound business decisions to pad the resume of Mysterio in case they need him to step-up to the main event.

Personally, his character leaves a lot for me love. I'm not a big fan of characters so simple. Also, Mysterio would be a good example for the "babyfaces that are actually huge dicks in kayfabe" award. But all those are minor, personal gripes that do not get in the way of an objective view on the man's career. If you were starting up a wrestling promotion, you'd want Rey Mysterio on-board. He'd make you a shit-ton of cash.

St. Jimmy
09-30-2011, 07:14 PM
Rey Mysterio was going to be a World Heavyweight Champion regardless of if Eddie passed away or not. They were in the process of building him (using Eddie Guerrero) since about WrestleMania 21. Now, he may not have won the 2006 Royal Rumble; but I guarantee you that Mysterio would have "won the big one." Anyone who doesn't think so is "fucking delusional."

Also, Rey is a tremendous worker who moves tons and tons of merchandise and gets people invested into his matches. He is possibly one of the best choices for a World Champion in the entire company -- even as he is moving into a stage of his career where he is not as healthy and reliable (as far as being on the road goes) as he once was. Mysterio should be making some new stars along the way; but Rey's World Heavyweight Title win last year and WWE Title win this year were all sound business decisions to pad the resume of Mysterio in case they need him to step-up to the main event.

Personally, his character leaves a lot for me love. I'm not a big fan of characters so simple. Also, Mysterio would be a good example for the "babyfaces that are actually huge dicks in kayfabe" award. But all those are minor, personal gripes that do not get in the way of an objective view on the man's career. If you were starting up a wrestling promotion, you'd want Rey Mysterio on-board. He'd make you a shit-ton of cash.

There is no information to support this, but there is information to detract from it. Eddie was going to win the WHC. This is known.

St. Jimmy
09-30-2011, 07:21 PM
So with this statement, I'm assuming you're ignoring all the great matches he's had with guys of all sizes in WWE, yes?

He has never had a "Great" match with someone over 6'9. He can barely maneuver with really stocky guys as well. If Rey Mysterio was in a lucha company or the indies I would say he's amazing, but he's not. He's not a WWE-Sized guy and he shouldn't pretend. It makes the title look bad to have it on him from a wrestling standpoint, but as business it makes complete sense. Kids will buy his shit. That's all that matters to WWE.

weather vane
09-30-2011, 07:35 PM
I wish he wore his old style attire...

parkmania
09-30-2011, 08:02 PM
Why do I hate Ray Mastrio?

He's a mini Super Cena, only not as believeable because the writers overplay the underdog role with him WAY too much, both in WCW and WWE.

At least Cena looks like he MIGHT stand a chance against Big Show in a real fight.

Vastardikai
09-30-2011, 08:06 PM
Three words come to mind as far as the Misterio hate:

Same. Old. Shit.

Juan
09-30-2011, 08:09 PM
He has never had a "Great" match with someone over 6'9.

Incorrect

St. Jimmy
09-30-2011, 08:12 PM
Incorrect

I see your bluff, call. Video proof PLOX.

Juan
09-30-2011, 08:22 PM
Can't find the whole thing, but the match against Undertaker at RR 2010 was great

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/KHQj8peheMY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

St. Jimmy
09-30-2011, 08:47 PM
Taker destroyed him. That wasn't a great Rey Mysterio match, that was EVERY Taker match ever. Also this is where Rey botched, like usual, and fucked up Takers face. C'mon Juan, I'm sure you can find one match - but it's not this one.

Graveler
09-30-2011, 08:58 PM

Can you example how Mysterio is a dick in kayfabe?

Juan
09-30-2011, 09:05 PM
Taker destroyed him. That wasn't a great Rey Mysterio match, that was EVERY Taker match ever. Also this is where Rey botched, like usual, and fucked up Takers face. C'mon Juan, I'm sure you can find one match - but it's not this one.

No, the match you're talking about was from Smackdown.

St. Jimmy
09-30-2011, 09:44 PM
No, the match you're talking about was from Smackdown.

Then what's going on with Takers face? He did that twice? =/

Mr. Nerfect
09-30-2011, 09:49 PM
There is no information to support this, but there is information to detract from it. Eddie was going to win the WHC. This is known.

Rey was booked to go over Eddie for pretty much all of 2005. If you don't think that they were grooming him to get a boost up the card, you're nuts. Now, it probably wouldn't have happened until after WrestleMania 22 (where I imagine the plan was to do Eddie Guerrero vs. Batista for the World Heavyweight Title), but I'm sure that we would have seen Rey with the World Title at some point.

Jordan
10-01-2011, 04:56 AM
Rey winning the World Title was a shock (as meant to be), but Noid is right, Rey Mysterio would have been a World Champ regardless of Eddie Guerrero's death.

Rey is one of the few true legends WWE can boast at the moment, and I'd consider him WWE's biggest "special attraction". He is the Andre "The Giant" of our era, and will have an impact much larger than any other special attraction such as Big Show or Yokozuna. All these physcial stories you can tell with a wrestler (usually it's David or Goliath) are usually succesful and make sense to the majority of the audience.

Also Rey is consistently the most entertaining live performer I've ever seen in WWE in like 15 years of being a fan.