PDA

View Full Version : The Greatest Never To Hold A Major Title

LK
08-11-2004, 02:33 PM
It's something that is often said. Just the other day it was said again about Hacksaw Jim Duggan. So my question is who do you think is the greatest wrestler that never held a major world title? By major world title I mean the WWE title or the NWA/WCW title. I don't really consider the ECW or TNA title a major world title.

LK
08-11-2004, 02:33 PM
BTW my vote goes to Ted Dibease

Innovator
08-11-2004, 02:35 PM
This is the one thing that JR and I agree upon

*gets thumbs ready*

ROB VAN DAM

John la Rock
08-11-2004, 02:53 PM
Mr. Perfect and Owen Hart :(

The One
08-11-2004, 03:05 PM
British Bulldog Davey Boy Smith

and of course...Tully Blanchard gets an honorable mention from me...

FourFifty
08-11-2004, 03:15 PM
<font color=cyan>"The Million Dollar Man" Ted Dibease, with much respect to everyone else, without a doubt.

AareDub
08-11-2004, 03:23 PM
It's something that is often said. Just the other day it was said again about Hacksaw Jim Duggan. So my question is who do you think is the greatest wrestler that never held a major world title? By major world title I mean the WWE title or the NWA/WCW title. I don't really consider the ECW or TNA title a major world title.

Isn't TNA's title the NWA World Heavyweight Title? :wtf:

My Final Heaven
08-11-2004, 03:37 PM
Shane Douglas

Brian Pillman

The Show Off
08-11-2004, 03:40 PM
"Double A" Arn Anderson.

V
08-11-2004, 03:40 PM
Rob Van Dam

anyone else remember when he beat undertaker for the title, but flair reversed the decision and the match continued?

i was marking out like a mad man, and then i was pissed off like an angry dad

Funky Fly
08-11-2004, 03:43 PM
Mr. Perfect and Owen Hart :(
Yeah, true.

natureboycv
08-11-2004, 03:54 PM
<font color=8307ff><b>Rowdy Roddy Piper
Jimmy Snuka</font></b>

Watson
08-11-2004, 04:01 PM
Mr. Perfect

Ted DiBiase

Rick Rude

Sephiroth
08-11-2004, 04:02 PM
1. Owen Hart

2. Mr. Perfect

3. RVD!

The One
08-11-2004, 04:15 PM
Isn't TNA's title the NWA World Heavyweight Title? :wtf:

Read http://tpww.net/forums/showthread.php?t=18833 to learn the truth...

Shawn Mega
08-11-2004, 04:33 PM
Without a question,Scott Hall.

In the WWE as Razor Ramon he was probably the top heel at the time in the mid 90's right behind Diesel.

In WCW he was one of the top 5 guys there. He was one of the top guys his whole time in WCW. Benoit,Jarrett,DDP,Steiner,Goldberg,Nash and Booker won the World title and Hall did not. Sid came in and won the WCW title and Hall did not.Bret Hart jump to WCW and won the World title.David Arquette and Russo won the title and Hall did'nt. No wonder why Hall drunk so much in WCW.

In TNA(the real NWA title),he got a shot at JJ for the title and still did not win.

Did he win the AWA title?

Owen died young
Bulldog was never on that level
Dibiase was victim to Hogan and WWE had to keep the title on Hogan.
Piper was another victim to the Hogan era.
RVD was never on that level. If you look at Eugene now,that was the level RVD was on.

Mayo
08-11-2004, 04:35 PM
I pretty much agree with all of the ones mentioned so far. Did Ricky Steamboat win either of those titles? If not, add him to that list. Raven too I suppose.

The Ravishing One
08-11-2004, 04:36 PM
Mr. Perfect

Ted DiBiase

Rick Rude

LK
08-11-2004, 04:36 PM
Steamboat was a NWA champion

Mayo
08-11-2004, 04:37 PM
Without a question,Scott Hall.

In the WWE as Razor Ramon he was probably the top heel at the time in the mid 90's right behind Diesel.

In WCW he was one of the top 5 guys there. He was one of the top guys his whole time in WCW. Benoit,Jarrett,DDP,Steiner,Goldberg,Nash and Booker won the World title and Hall did not. Sid came in and won the WCW title and Hall did not.Bret Hart jump to WCW and won the World title.David Arquette and Russo won the title and Hall did'nt. No wonder why Hall drunk so much in WCW.

In TNA(the real NWA title),he got a shot at JJ for the title and still did not win.

Did he win the AWA title?

Owen died young
RVD was never on that level. If you look at Eugene now,that was the level RVD was on.
LOL @ your last sentence. Eugene has been in the WWE for a few months, and RVD was awesome in ECW and if he had won the title during the ECW invasion angle, he would have been an awesome champion. If pushed properly, he would make a good WWE champion right now.

The One
08-11-2004, 04:45 PM
Owen died young

Whoa hold on now buddy...Owen Hart was in the WWE for over 10 years. Scott Hall was in the WCW off and on for 5, made a handful of TNA performances, and only was a big name in the WWE for about 3 or 4 years...so Scott Hall's ENTIRE CAREER was shorter then the time Owen spent in WWE...so he didn't die to younf to hold the title...

And as for Bulldog never being on that level...you have NO IDEA how over Bulldog was...a HUGE name in American, Canada loved him to death, and England...he basically could have run for God of England and won in a landslide.

Dibiase never won the title because he retired pretty much as soon as he becamea big Main Eventer...he Main Evented for 2 or 3 years and then became a manager...

And as for Piper he never won the World Title becuase companies didn't trust him...basically he had loyalty to himself...and that is it.

I agree Scott Hall should have been WCW Champ, but to discard everyone else is a damn shame.

(oh and Hall never held the AWA title)

KayfabeMan
08-11-2004, 05:37 PM
I can't go with one, so I'll just make a small list.

Brian Pillman
Dean Malenko
Ted DiBiase
Arn Anderson
Paul Orndorff
Rick Rude
Marc Mero
Roddy Piper

I won't list Curt Hennig because Curt had a run (albeit a small one) with the AWA Belt, which was rather important. I also won't list Rick Martel because Rick won in AWA too. Also, Shane Douglas and Raven (modernly) stay off of my list because of ECW (as I'd count their Title as rather important as well).

Cooler Tom Schuler
08-11-2004, 08:56 PM
Marc Mero? I must say a wholeheartedly disagree.

Oh and, DiBiase, Owen Hart, Snuka.

Wildcat789
08-11-2004, 09:24 PM
Bulldog was never on that level? Dude, now I know why Hall is your favorite wrestler. You're both drunk off your ass.

Perfect and Pillman come to mind for me. Rick Rude was a good one too.

mrslackalack
08-11-2004, 10:13 PM
Tully Blanchard and Dean Malenko is two that nobody has brought up yet.

Good Choices by the way.

Loose Cannon
08-11-2004, 10:20 PM
<--------------------see user name.

Mister Sinister
08-12-2004, 03:43 AM
My list is

Owen Hart
Dean Malenko
Rowdy Piper
Rob Van Dam
British Bulldog

Iceman90
08-12-2004, 05:58 AM
Owen Hart

Aussie Skier
08-12-2004, 06:35 AM
maybe Owen Hart?

Ted Debiasse?

British Bulldog (he was great 4 a while, like in '96)

Lara Emily
08-12-2004, 06:51 AM
Owen Hart
Ted Dibiase
Roddy Piper
Davey Boy Smith
Dynamite Kid
William Regal
Rick Rude
Arn Anderson
Tully Blanchard
Brian Pillman
Lance Storm (I'm a Storm mark sue me)
Greg Valentine (Same reason as Storm)
Dean Malenko
Bam Bam Bigelow
Andre the Giant (I don't really count him beating Hogan since he handed over the title to Dibiase immediately)
Paul Orndorff
and finally for now...

Disco Inferno :shifty: just kidding :D

Lara Emily
08-12-2004, 06:53 AM
I left off Hennig, Douglas and Raven for the same reasons KayfabeMan did and I left of RVD because of the sheer length of his reign as ECW TV champion, it became while he was champ a major title IMO

Mordecai1
08-21-2004, 03:53 AM
X-Pac.

Shaggy
08-21-2004, 04:17 AM
Raven

RVD

Owen Hart

and even though some wont agree I think I would say....

Billy Gunn, not the Gunn you see today but back in the day when he did singles after he left the Outlaws. He was great. I think he definently should of had a heavyweight belt at sometime.

Fox
08-21-2004, 05:42 AM
Lance Storm

Impact!
08-21-2004, 06:14 AM
edge, christian and jeff hardy

Chavo Classic
08-21-2004, 07:45 AM
X-Pac.

*Chokes on cereal* WHAT!!!???

Chavo Classic
08-21-2004, 07:49 AM
I'm seeing an Owen Hart, Ted DiBiase and RVD pattern here. And yes, yes, yes to all.

Although RVD might not be good enough on the mic to warrant a lengthy reign, and DiBiase had the million dollar belt - c'mon people, it was worth a MILLION DOLLARS - i'd say that's a good title.

Shadow
08-21-2004, 09:03 AM
Jeff Hardy, Matt Hardy, Shannon Moore, Rey Mysterio, Chavo....any of the guys from WCW Tag teams really.

KillerWolf
08-21-2004, 02:37 PM
I can't go with one, so I'll just make a small list.

Brian Pillman
Dean Malenko
Ted DiBiase
Arn Anderson
Paul Orndorff
Rick Rude
Marc Mero
Roddy Piper

dude!!!
Marc Mero???
seriously???

Dorkchop
08-21-2004, 03:18 PM
* Lance Storm
* Christian
* Rob Van Dam
* Owen hart
* Mr. Perfect
* Bastian Booger

Supermark101
08-21-2004, 03:46 PM
Magnum TA
Brusier Brody
Abdullah the Butcher
Dustin Rhodes
Brad Armstrong
Jake Roberts
Tommy Dreamer
David Von Erich
Sabu

Innovator
08-21-2004, 03:56 PM
Dreamer held the ECW title, albeit for 10 minutes but he's still a former Champ

Rob
08-21-2004, 04:01 PM
Some of you guys are mentioning people for the sake of it. Aside from Curt Hennig, Owen Hart, Ted DiBiase, Davey Boy Smith and perhaps Paul Orndorff, not one of the guys mentioned were ever close to being in positions to be world champions (I class Rude as a world champ).

Sabu, Raven, Dreamer, Dustin Rhodes, Marc Mero, Dean Malenko? Give me a break please.

Rob
08-21-2004, 04:02 PM
Bruiser Brody would have been a world champion if he was a more reliable employee.

Jimmy Snuka would definately been world champ had he not been a junkie who lost his mind and started killing people.

Innovator
08-21-2004, 04:39 PM
I thought Davey would win it when he came back to the WWE in 1999.

Batsu
08-21-2004, 05:30 PM
DiBiase came to mind when I read this.

He was one of the coolest WWE heels of his era.

Batsu
08-21-2004, 05:33 PM
And as for Bulldog never being on that level...you have NO IDEA how over Bulldog was...a HUGE name in American, Canada loved him to death, and England...he basically could have run for God of England and won in a landslide.

Yeah, after Summerslam '92? Bulldog could have been where Shawn Michaels was...if he didn't get caught up in a few things in the way. He was definitely the kind of babyface that would have made it in WWE.

Loose Cannon
08-21-2004, 05:38 PM
DiBiase came to mind when I read this.

He was one of the coolest WWE heels of his era.

He was suppossed to win it at WM 4.

Chavo Classic
08-21-2004, 05:39 PM
I thought Davey would win it when he came back to the WWE in 1999.

Yeh, he had that 6-pack match at Unforgiven I think, and then got involved with the Mean Street Posse, held the Hardcore Championship and gave Stephanie temporary amnesia... LOL, the amnesia thing was totally unnecessary and didn't make ANY sense. Bless.

Supermark101
08-21-2004, 07:23 PM
Some of you guys are mentioning people for the sake of it. Aside from Curt Hennig, Owen Hart, Ted DiBiase, Davey Boy Smith and perhaps Paul Orndorff, not one of the guys mentioned were ever close to being in positions to be world champions (I class Rude as a world champ).

Sabu, Raven, Dreamer, Dustin Rhodes, Marc Mero, Dean Malenko? Give me a break please.

The title of the thread is "The Greatest Never To Hold A Major Title" not "The Greatest to be in Positions to be World Champion"

Evolution
08-21-2004, 08:50 PM
Oh, yeah, I forgot the whole Stephanie McMahon amnesia gimmick. Didn't she forget she was dating Test or something because Bulldog hit her in the head with a trash can at R3bellion 1999?

That PPV would have been so much better if Michael Hayes wasn't commentating.

Oh yeah, Owen, Rude, Bulldog, DiBiase, Matt Hardy

Took
08-21-2004, 08:52 PM
If I had my way it'd have gone to Owen, Bulldog and Pillman. Piper too.

MVP
08-22-2004, 01:05 AM
In no order

Brian Pillman
Curt Hennig
Owen Hart
British Bulldog
Razor Ramon
Ted Dibiase
Roddy Piper
Tully Blanchard
Jim Garvin
Don Muraco

Nark Order
08-22-2004, 01:21 AM
Ultimo Dragon.

(I'm not counting his countless number of championships in Japan.)

Quick1
08-22-2004, 02:58 AM
Chris Jericho's Achievements in the WWE, WCW & ECW

ECW Televison Champion
Cruiserweight Champion
WCW Television Champion
WWE European Champion
WWE Tag Team Champion
WWE Hardcore Champion
WWE Intercontinental Champion
WCW Champion
The First Ever WWE Undisputed Champion

But His Greatest Achievement To Date:

The WWE Undisputed Champion of Musical Chairs
You forgot that he was the only Undisputed champ in 2001

Scarface
08-22-2004, 06:55 AM
British Bulldog
Owen Hart

Tornado
08-22-2004, 01:04 PM
Bulldog

The Mackem
08-22-2004, 01:11 PM
Davey came close in one his later runs in the WWE didn't he. Someone mentioned the 6 pack match already. If memory serves he was involved in match with the Rock, possibly the next event where he had the "all I care about is winning the WWF title" thing going on. He should have won that match and then won the belt :mad:

Although the early nineties would have been more appropriate :mad:

Chavo Classic
08-22-2004, 08:47 PM
Oh, yeah, I forgot the whole Stephanie McMahon amnesia gimmick. Didn't she forget she was dating Test or something because Bulldog hit her in the head with a trash can at R3bellion 1999?

That PPV would have been so much better if Michael Hayes wasn't commentating.

Oh yeah, Owen, Rude, Bulldog, DiBiase, Matt Hardy

The next day on Raw, Test does his best Lawrence Olivier -
"She doesn't even remember who I am, man..."

All UK PPVs sucked, unless you were there. Then they stopped doing them and did house shows instead. Wow, they treat us UK fans good.

Oh, and i forgot to mention - Scott Hall