PDA

View Full Version : GOLDBERG

Marc the Smark
11-06-2004, 05:35 PM
In the WCW, people loved him. But he never got over in the WWE.

How come?

Xero
11-06-2004, 05:39 PM
A. He went completely to shit.
B. WWE misused him.
C. He was a big WCW talent and Vince didn't like that.
D. All of the above.

Take your pick. I'd go with "D" myself.

Sephiroth
11-06-2004, 05:44 PM
No wrestling skills.

I mean...the guy had 4 moves that he used over and over :-\

Marc the Smark
11-06-2004, 05:46 PM
No wrestling skills.

I mean...the guy had 4 moves that he used over and over :-\

But in the WCW, people loved him.

Disturbed316
A. He went completely to shit.
B. WWE misused him.
C. He was a big WCW talent and Vince didn't like that.
D. All of the above.

Take your pick. I'd go with "D" myself.

What he said

Loose Cannon
He never got over because they fucked up his character. He was doing comedy when all he should have been doing was destoying people. Doesn't matter if he had 1 move. People jump on winners who destroy thier opponents in minutes. People love that. It's a simple formula really.

LK
11-06-2004, 05:48 PM
He sucks

Gouda
11-06-2004, 05:55 PM
WCW: Destroyed people and went out there night after night looking "invincible"

WWE: One of the first weeks he was there they had him wear a Goldust wig. 'Nuff Said! They also attempted to give him a smidgen of personality. They also made him look vulnerable. Oh, and one time you could clearly see him coming out of the closet during his entrance. (Not as in revealing homosexual tendencies, but as in the guards knocked on his "locker room" door and it swung open to reveal what was clearly a broom closet)

The CyNick
11-06-2004, 05:57 PM
It was like getting Michael Jordan, and instead of using him to make your basketball team better, you use him to make your baseball team better. And question why he couldn't make it better.

Loose Cannon
11-06-2004, 05:58 PM
It was like getting Michael Jordan, and instead of using him to make your basketball team better, you use him to make your baseball team better. And question why he couldn't make it better.

LOL, how do yoy come up with these :y: :y: :y:

Funky Fly
11-06-2004, 06:02 PM
I want to have your babies.

123 kid
11-06-2004, 06:04 PM
Goldberg sucks donkey balls. Like Sephiroth said, he has/had 4 moves. Red Hot Scott, are you making threads on every wrestler?

Xero
11-07-2004, 05:40 AM
Oh, and one time you could clearly see him coming out of the closet during his entrance. (Not as in revealing homosexual tendencies, but as in the guards knocked on his "locker room" door and it swung open to reveal what was clearly a broom closet)
http://img118.exs.cx/img118/1706/goldbergjanitor.jpg

:shifty:

ColdwaVer
11-07-2004, 08:27 AM
I continue to disagree with this "WWE misused Goldberg" talk. The fact is that Goldberg in WCW was the first real main event star that WCW had created in years. Everyone else who was in the main event scene at the time was either an old WCW name, or else had come over from WWF. WCW was stagnating with the whole nWo thing, and here came a big unstoppable monster face to tear things up, go on a huge winning streak and win the title. His popularity took a critical hit when he lost that title, which doubtless had something to do with the way he lost it, but people never really got behind him in the way they had done.
So when he ended up in WWE, there was almost nothing for him to really do. Having him squash lower card guys pi</>ssed off a lot of people, and putting him over the rest of the roster from day one would have made both them and us angry. He stated himself on numerous occasions that all he wanted to be doing was squashing guys and winning the title, which is pretty arrogant coming from a guy who almost fell the hell over coming to the ring twice in a few months. If you've got a wrestler who only has one way to be used properly, you've got a bad investment on your hands.
And I was actually starting to warm up to Goldberg at the end of his WWE run. He seemed to have been working himself into a decent niche, but then he took off, so we may never really know. His match with Lesnar could have been something worth seeing if they hadn't both made it perfectly clear that neither of them wanted to be there.

Loose Cannon
11-07-2004, 09:47 AM
^^Wait, who's "us?" The Internet fans, the casual fans, or both? Goldberg was probably the most popular and over guy on Raw when he came in. He came in and killed the Rock, That was great and had the fans behind him immediately. He was drawing the top segments on Raw. Then the WWE decided to have him do comedy and other things happened, like Goldberg getting laid out by Evolution all the time. That's where it all ended. So yeah, they FUCKED UP Goldberg big time. Like I said before, it doesn't matter if a guy has one move, if they book him right, he can get over. Especially a guy like Goldberg. I know that makes all you Japanese, ROH, TNA, and Indy fans cringe at the thought of that right? :lol:

Gerard
11-07-2004, 09:59 AM
I don't really agree goldberg was the most popular on raw. When he beat the rock in the ppv the crowd were booing the shit out of him when he hit the spear and the jackhammer. He was popular going into the elimination chamber match, wwe should have given him the belt right there but of course triple h who was injured and and done all of 1 wrestling move the entire match wasn't having it.

Wwe did fuck with his character a lot though, i liked the music change but his entrance compared to wcw looked VERY watered down. People may say thats a small point but his entrance was probably the most unique there has been in wrestling and its all part of the character, mess with one thing and the rest can suffer.

Shaggy
11-07-2004, 10:34 AM
Ive never cared for Goldberg. He never got over in the WWE because the hype was over. The WWE lived the Goldberg thing with Lesnar already. Doing the same thing just wasnt gonna do good. Goldberg was horrible in WcW and the fans still went with him but I guess the WWE fans were just tired of him and noticed that all his matches were boring.

The CyNick
11-07-2004, 12:52 PM
LC is right about the numbers, Goldberg was one of the few things that caused the TV numbers to jump.

They really botched Goldberg almost right from the start. when they had Rock out there doing comedy when he should have been crapping his pants at the thought of Goldberg coming in. Then all the Goldust stuff and changing his gimmick/entrance/look didn't help either.

Nobody can deny Goldberg was the top star in not only WCW, but one could argue he was the top guy in the INDUSTRY for a little while there. Of course WCW screwed him over, but the point is, he was over.

Fans in WWE would have got behind him more, but they didn't bring in Goldberg, they brought in some watered down version of him, and as a result they got a watered down reaction.

But as has been pointed out, there were times he was over like crazy, the Chamber match for example, and there were others. So even though he was handled poorly from the start, it was clear the fans still wanted to cheer for him.

John la Rock
11-07-2004, 04:57 PM
I also hated how the WWE changed his entrance music :mad:

Evolution
11-07-2004, 07:40 PM
Should of kept everything the same about him. The Invasion theme, the attire, the beard, everything.

The Goldust wig made him suffer, and if you do something like that then go on to try and compete for the world title, people are still gonna remember the wig and care less.

Another thing that was different in WCW, when he came in he was unknown. He went from the bottom up, squashing the smaller guys, people like Juventud, Eddy, LWO, until he worked his way up to the US title. but he didnt stop there. He kept on going until he got the world title, beating guys like Sting, Hogan, DDP. And if it wasn't for Nash being booker and wanting to be champion at the same time, Goldberg would have had a longer reign.

In WWE, everyone knew him. They hyped him the night before his debut (WrestleMania XIX) and the crowd went nuts. You can't have someone like Goldberg come up when everyone knows who he is, and then ask him to face Tajiri, The Hurricane, Funaki and Suzuki (I know he wasn't there, he's just an example). He needs to run with the big dogs, Rock, HHH, Jericho, Lesnar, Batista.

But, again the wig comes into play. if that didn't happen, things might have been different. Same applies to the broom closet.

James Steele
11-07-2004, 07:44 PM
If they would have had him annihilate Goldust as soon as that wig touched his head, it might have been different, but they took away that unstoppable monster feel away from him with the drop of a wig. :nono:

Boondock Saint
11-07-2004, 08:02 PM
I completely forgot about the wig like the next day. It didn't mean anything to me, I'm surprised so many people are acting like it was the nail in the coffin. I understand how they messed with his character, but I dunno, that wig thing was not memorable to me at all.

Aussie Skier
11-07-2004, 08:59 PM
In the WCW, people loved him. But he never got over in the WWE.

How come?

i beg to differ.
He was majorly over at summerslam

Shadow
11-07-2004, 09:06 PM
Wig...thing? I might be a stoned out hippy but I really don't remember that.

Really, the death of Goldberg started the night after he beat the Rock. Hell...I saw that match. The crowd was so behind him and I was literally drooling over the anticipation of another streak like he had back in WCW. Hell, they were even pimping that up all over WWE. Then what happened? They dropped the ball. Goldberg would've been big had he been used right. And that's the sentiment everyone has been echoing.

Boondock Saint
11-07-2004, 09:27 PM
Goldberg was practically booed out of the building during his match with The Rock. He even made mention of it the next night on RAW.

Rock Bottom
11-07-2004, 09:43 PM
Yeah I didn't like Rock jobbing to that ape on his debut. Retarded. Movie or no movie. Goldberg also strikes me as pretty stupid, he constantly embarasses himself. But on to why he didn't really get over, I'm not sure. I don't like him or the idea of a guy who mows everyone down all the time and doesn't sell. Can't speak for other fans.