PDA

View Full Version : Will WWE carry out hassans new gimmick?

Savio
07-07-2005, 10:42 PM
I think they may stop it now. But think of how much heat he probably got from the people watching at home, I dunno maybe WWE will continue it.

That lady was going crazy infront.

M. Banana
07-07-2005, 10:43 PM
Maybe.

But I hope they do.

Savio
07-07-2005, 10:45 PM
Yeah me too and I'm not a terrorist.

Watson
07-07-2005, 10:51 PM
Sadly I highly doubt Vince will put a stop to the gimmick. Vince has proven many times that he doesn't have much of a conscience.

Bad Company
07-07-2005, 10:52 PM
They will go through with it.

FearedSanctity
07-07-2005, 10:53 PM
I think they should without taking it TOO far.

But after the London attacks, they'll most likely stop

Face Heely
07-07-2005, 10:54 PM
Yeah me too and I'm not a terrorist.

Well, I am a terrorist...and I agree. :shifty:

Mayo
07-07-2005, 11:00 PM
Sadly I highly doubt Vince will put a stop to the gimmick. Vince has proven many times that he doesn't have much of a conscience.If you look at many of the ruthless things that Eric Bischoff and Paul Heyman both did with their respective promotions, you could probably say that wrestling bookers in general do not have a conscience.

Watson
07-07-2005, 11:05 PM
If you look at many of the ruthless things that Eric Bischoff and Paul Heyman both did with their respective promotions, you could probably say that wrestling bookers in general do not have a conscience.
Excellent point.

Kane Knight
07-07-2005, 11:26 PM
What wins out? The tastelessness of the angle, or the McMahon lack of testicles...

Zen v.W.o.
07-07-2005, 11:44 PM
I never liked the gimmick anyways. It bores the fuck out of me.

Kane Knight
07-07-2005, 11:51 PM
I only got about four words into that before I started thinking "Alleyaaaaaaleya..."

M. Banana
07-08-2005, 12:18 AM
I only got about four words into that before I started thinking "Alleyaaaaaaleya..."

:love:

Savio
07-08-2005, 02:44 AM
I change my vote I think they will since there are pictures all over the site.

M. Banana
07-08-2005, 02:58 AM
I can see why people would be offended, but honestly. Shut the fuck up. The gimmick isn't hurting anyone. Controversial shit is done all the time. If they go along with this, good for them. Congratulations, you've got balls. They would be stupid not too really, what if the Undertaker turned up next week as a gogo dancer. Or if the bWo was suddenly dropped, Nova goes back to Simon Dean, Steven Richards goes back to jobbing to Masters and Blue Meanie just disappears.

darkpower
07-08-2005, 03:08 AM
I can't see how anyone was to know that the London thing was even gonna happen. I bet no one would've even talked as much about how offensive that angle was if that tragedy never happened yesterday.

M. Banana
07-08-2005, 03:13 AM
I can't see how anyone was to know that the London thing was even gonna happen. I bet no one would've even talked as much about how offensive that angle was if that tragedy never happened yesterday.

Exactly.

Although, if it weren't for 9-11 I doubt we'd have Muhammad Hassan at all..

Savio
07-08-2005, 03:17 AM
Maybe...if Bush decided to go into Iraq.

Savio
07-08-2005, 03:18 AM
altough his first promo was about 9/11

M. Banana
07-08-2005, 03:19 AM
:yes:

RP
07-08-2005, 03:30 AM
I think they should take it even deeper. Have Hassan and Davari on location at some air field , taking flight lessons. BAWWWWWWWWW GAWWWDDDDDDDD A IRANI IS GUNNA FLY A PLAIN!!!! THIS IS DISCPICABLEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously ! The gimmick is set up to have a hero. Its going to play out for about a year or so maybe even less. The a " Hero " will step up and beat him. Then the insuing face turn will happen. Then this gimmick will be forgotten. Movies, TV shows , book . They all are set up the same way. I dont see why the WWE is any different from them?

RP
07-08-2005, 03:42 AM
I love the fact that everyone is liking Hassans gimmick and seeing past its tongue in cheek nature , involving Arabic terrorism inuendo . Even while troops from different countries ( not just American ) are being bombed and shot at and dying. No we can look past all that shit, but when London get bombed. HOLD THE FUCKING PHONE! THIS GIMMICK IS FUCKING TASTELESS! Gimme a break.

If you were on the Hassans bandwagon. Sorry . Nuh uh. There is no getting off now. You liked it after 9-11, you liked it after Sadam was captures cause you felt it was a little safer now and it wasnt that bad. Now London gets bombed and you want off. Now all of a sudden its tasteless. Sorry. Thats not a good enough reason to pull the gimmick. If Vince pulls this gimmick. Vince McMahon will be nothing but a punk bitch. He had the balls to stick with it during this Iraq war. During all the soldiers deaths and suicide bombiings. Now a big city get bombed. A little light get shined his way and all of a sudden he's going to pull it? Fuck that shit. Theres no fucking way this gimmick get pulled. Its not happening. If it does. Vince shouls sell his company or step down period and let his kids run the business, because in wrestling ( especially the WWE ) you got to have a certain amount of balls to run a top notch organization. Pulling this gimmick now will only show us that Vince McMahon has no balls. He made the gimmick. He stuck with the gimmick. Now play it out and deal with the heat. This gimmick stays.

Hired Hitman
07-08-2005, 04:10 AM
The gimmick has a foundation, he is an Arab-American that feels he is being discriminated.

THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH TERRORISTS, Fucking idiots who say it does.

The only thing close to "Terrorist" about this gimmick is The complaining of Hassan for being treated bad after a terrorist attack and the Crowd thinking Arabian is the same as a Terrorist, then booing because of that.

For the record, I do and always have liked the gimmick of Hassan.
he's fighting for freedom, even though he is only right half of the time :o

RP
07-08-2005, 04:27 AM
I dont think it directly involves terroristic type heat, but I do believe there is alot of inuendo. Just like in any WWE gimmick. I think we think on the same lines HH

Hired Hitman
07-08-2005, 06:36 AM
I rewatched Smackdown (taped it) and the show cut to commercial when "the winner of the match, the Undertaker!", with Hassan with an evil grin on his face.

I want to see what the big deal is now, I don't care if something COULD offend me, I want to watch it.

Smackdown is on Cable, CABLE, it shouldn't be censored :rant:

anyway, it doesn't sound bad, Hassan has his own following (I.e. Mattitude/Ministry/Corporation etc), but because he's portrayed as Arabian... ;)

Hired Hitman
07-08-2005, 06:55 AM
EDIT: Okay, I just saw a clip on WWE.com, I see where the whole "terrorist" thing is going, but it's a state of mind, people look at them, see Hassan as Arabian and say any Group Hassan has are Terrorists, however I see them as his followers, they believe what he is saying and want to join his fight against the people that don't like him.

Those men aren't Terrorists, unless you class a Terrorist as somebody that doesn't like somebody and fights them... goes around to cause mass panic and chaos... hell the NWO could be classed as Terrorists.

The Mackem
07-08-2005, 07:11 AM
Don't be silly Hired Hitman, they were American.

The Gooch
07-08-2005, 08:24 AM
When they did the whole Sargent Slaughter/Turncoat/Gulf War angle I thought it was inappropriate, but given Hogan was involved there was that element of Cheese that seemed to make it not so bad. Granted I'm older than most and Canadian so that could be the reason.

The line they are towing now seems a little much. Will the poor publicity the WWE receives make any difference to the bottom line on a business level. I highly doubt it. I doubt it will be seen as a cool thing by the kids. If it will not increase profits (which is the be all, end all) why continue? I can see advertisers being very nervous about this angle.

Hired Hitman
07-08-2005, 09:09 AM
The world is being Pussifed.

Kane Knight
07-08-2005, 11:43 AM
Probably would have.

Keep in mind that the band 50 foot wave was accused of cashing in on the uber-Tsunami in Asia. 50 Foot Wave's release was as ill-timed as POD's Satellite, but it was their second record, and they'd been around for well over a year (Not to mention it has to do with harmonics, not the ocean).

Now, if people can blame a band that's been around for over a year, they can sure as fuck blame a show that was taped 3 days prior. They may not have known it was coming, but they're gonna get the blame as though they did.

Kane Knight
07-08-2005, 11:45 AM
When they did the whole Sargent Slaughter/Turncoat/Gulf War angle I thought it was inappropriate, but given Hogan was involved there was that element of Cheese that seemed to make it not so bad. Granted I'm older than most and Canadian so that could be the reason.

The line they are towing now seems a little much. Will the poor publicity the WWE receives make any difference to the bottom line on a business level. I highly doubt it. I doubt it will be seen as a cool thing by the kids. If it will not increase profits (which is the be all, end all) why continue? I can see advertisers being very nervous about this angle.
At least as many people who HATE Howard Stern/Rush Limbuah watch/listen, compared to the actual fanbase who LIKES them.

It doesn't need to be "cool" to get more viewers.

Just John
07-08-2005, 11:49 AM
Mabye JBL will join, he was exploding belts recently

LK
07-08-2005, 11:49 AM
Of course the Hassan character will keep going. They have come this far and I doubt they will just drop him just like taht. I can't really see them dropping their second biggest heel on Smackdown (in my view that's what he is anyway just behind Eddie).

The Gooch
07-08-2005, 12:06 PM
At least as many people who HATE Howard Stern/Rush Limbuah watch/listen, compared to the actual fanbase who LIKES them.

It doesn't need to be "cool" to get more viewers.

You're right, this may be a politically incorrect train wreck that we all feel compelled to watch, yet feel guilty about inside.

The worse part about it is knowing Taker will still not do the j-o-b in the end.

M. Banana
07-08-2005, 12:51 PM
Nah, I don't feel guilty about shit.

I like this gimmick.

Plain and simple.

Kane Knight
07-08-2005, 01:23 PM
You're right, this may be a politically incorrect train wreck that we all feel compelled to watch, yet feel guilty about inside.

The worse part about it is knowing Taker will still not do the j-o-b in the end.
In my case, no.

And I lost a friend on 9-11, so hopefully none of the PC fucks who are complaining in the Henchmen thread will accuse me of being insensitive. Not to mention I spent half of yesterday trying to get in touch with friends in London (Fortunately, they [business partners] were in Berlin), so it's not like I don't care about that either.

I just don't see this as any more tasteless than the overall gimmick itself, and I've come to accept that. So how could I complain about yet another thing that's only about as tasteless? While La Res demeaned the troops, this didnt't directly insult anyone.

...Except Arabs, but who cares about them? ;)

Kane Knight
07-08-2005, 01:24 PM
And yeah,. Taker won't job. Ever. His corpse will hold down the next 5 generations.

Just John
07-08-2005, 01:25 PM
forget this post...

Just John
07-08-2005, 01:27 PM
...Except Arabs, but who cares about them? ;)

Not me! :)

tucsonspeed6
07-08-2005, 02:00 PM
I think they'll half ways back out. They'll stick with it through the Taker feud, but drop it immediately afterwards. Michael Cole and Tazz never mentioned the word "terrorist" once, though they could have redubbed it Thursday morning...I can just imagine Michael Cole screaming "Hassan's brought TERRORISTS to the ring! Tazz, this is horrible. Now that terrorist is choking Taker with his Hijacking Wire! Oh no! Hassan's got Taker with his 9-11 lock!"

They can still back out of it by saying that the only way to beat Taker is to play the same psychological games on him as he plays on everyone else. It's already been established before with other guys, and Taker's gimmick is pushed more as a psychological one than a hackneed rehash of his 90's gimmick....well, most of the time.

The problem lies with coming out with Hassan's plans. If he cut a promo saying, "No, I'm not involved with terrorists. I just want to get in Taker's mind." it seems kinda stupid because it'd be on the same level as Taker saying, "Gee, golly...I never meant to look scary with my hat and belt buckle. I just wanted to freak out my opponents." But I guess that's the WWE's problem. They're the idiots who tried to make Thursday's Smackdown look like a Russo rip-off, not me.

darkpower
07-08-2005, 09:37 PM
To change subject a bit:

Credit: PWInsider.Com

For those who were wondering as to the identities of the masked men who attacked The Undertaker on last night’s Smackdown they were Mike and Todd Shane, Val Venis, WWE developmental talent Mike Knox and one other name that hasn’t been confirmed. As soon as its revealed to us, we’ll post it here on the newsboard.

Hired Hitman
07-09-2005, 09:18 PM
I knew I saw Val's Package!

:shifty:

Kane Knight
07-09-2005, 10:58 PM
At this point I hope they follow through, just so I know they didn't buckle to pussies.

El Santo
07-10-2005, 11:24 AM
Just saw the gimmick last night and I thought it was on the "train wreck that you can't turn your eyes away from" level myself. WWE will go through with it. If they did do the Billy and Chuck gimmick. And (in my opinion) the WWE managed to successfully pull off a potentially far more offensive gimmick with Eugene. And if it doesn't work, at least we can look forward to another entrant into Wrestlecrap.com.

By the way, when the "terrorists" came out, did anyone else imagine Val Venis or one of the other guys muttering "Oh, man, this is effed up, man" a la Stevie Richards in the ECW crucifixion angle?

Savio
07-10-2005, 12:11 PM
If they did do the Billy and Chuck gimmick. Whats was distasteful about that? (except the end of course)

Kane Knight
07-10-2005, 05:27 PM
Whats was distasteful about that? (except the end of course)
Nothing unless you count offense to fags. :p

Morgan
07-11-2005, 02:12 PM
Nothing unless you count offense to fags. :p

Billy and Chuck were gay?! Holy crap.

Chavo Classic
07-11-2005, 02:18 PM
Exactly.

Although, if it weren't for 9-11 I doubt we'd have Muhammad Hassan at all..

But if Hassan came down to the ring a week after 9/11 then there'd be riots. The character was only just about permissable four years after the attacks on New York, now there's been a new disaster then I can see some serious protests.

Savio
07-11-2005, 02:19 PM
Nothing unless you count offense to fags. :pBut I watch the Today show and GLAAD said they liked the angle. They even gave them a gravey dish