PDA

View Full Version : When Michaels retires...

Nark Order
02-22-2009, 05:02 PM
Will he be known or pushed by the WWE as the greatest ever? It seems like he's being groomed for such a spot in history like Flair was.

More importantly, do you think he is the greatest or one of the greatest ever?

Funky Fly
02-22-2009, 05:05 PM
Michaels is one of the greatest ever, but not the greatest.

Lord-Of-Darkness
02-22-2009, 05:06 PM
Who would you say is the greatest, Mr Fly?

Legend Killer
02-22-2009, 05:06 PM
This thread has already been done before, it was about 2 months ago...

All of us here on TPWW came to the conclusion that Michaels will go down as the greatest ENTERTAINER of All Time, not the greatest Wrestler of all time.

Funky Fly
02-22-2009, 05:09 PM
Who would you say is the greatest, Mr Fly?

If I say, it will spark a massive flame war. So I'll go with my number 2 guy: Ultimo Dragon. :shifty:

Lord-Of-Darkness
02-22-2009, 05:11 PM
Gotcha ;)

Nark Order
02-22-2009, 05:14 PM
If I say, it will spark a massive flame war. :shifty:

Answer me this. Is he a fellow Canadian?

BodySlam
02-22-2009, 05:25 PM
SCOTT HALL THE GREATEST ALL THE WAY!!! .............but ya greatest ENTERTAINER of all time will be SHAWN MICHEALS

Funky Fly
02-22-2009, 05:31 PM
Answer me this. Is he a fellow Canadian?

He is loved the world over.

Jeritron
02-22-2009, 05:33 PM
He is loved the world over.

Hogan?

Vastardikai
02-22-2009, 05:54 PM
Chris Benoit? :shifty:

Rammsteinmad
02-22-2009, 06:16 PM
If Shawn Michaels was officially known as 'The Greatest of All Time' I could happily live with it.

Volare
02-22-2009, 10:27 PM

Who the hell is that guy?

HeartBreakMan2k
02-22-2009, 11:18 PM
If Shawn Michaels was officially known as 'The Greatest of All Time' I could happily live with it.

:y:

James Steele
02-22-2009, 11:24 PM
Yes & Yes

Vastardikai
02-22-2009, 11:34 PM
Who the hell is that guy?

Some name I just made up out of thin air.

Mercury Bullet
02-23-2009, 12:35 AM
He is among the all time greats. I don't know that he is number one, but he is definitely up there.

Fignuts
02-23-2009, 09:57 AM
I would say both Keiji Muto and the Destroyer edge out michaels. Destroyer was ridiculously smart when it came to psycology, and could carry a broom stick to an epic match.

Legend Killer
02-23-2009, 10:12 AM

Isn't he that creppy guy who HANGS around places heading butting people?

Vastardikai
02-23-2009, 11:48 AM
maybe it is... I dunno.

The Fonz
02-23-2009, 01:37 PM
Isn't he that creppy guy who HANGS around places heading butting people?

I saw him eating crossface chicken wings and tap water the other day.

Heyman
02-23-2009, 04:54 PM
Will he be known or pushed by the WWE as the greatest ever? It seems like he's being groomed for such a spot in history like Flair was.

More importantly, do you think he is the greatest or one of the greatest ever?

I think there's a chance that the WWE will try and position as HBK being "the greatest" one day (similar to Flair).

In my personal opinion - HBK was one of the greatest.....but not THE greatest. There are a few wrestlers that were better overall wrestlers than HBK (i.e. Kurt Angle, Dynamite Kid), and there were even MORE wrestlers that achieved more as sports-entertainers (i.e. Hogan, Austin, Rock, Bret Hart, Goldberg).

Good Ol JG
02-23-2009, 09:14 PM
How did Goldberg achieve more than Shawn Michaels as a sports entertainer? HBK has won pretty much every title in the WWE, most of which he won multiple times. Goldberg had what, 2 total World Title runs, a couple of US Title runs and 1 tag title run? I mean, he had the streak, but his time in wrestling has been minimal at best. I'm not tryin to be a dick or anything, I agree that Shawn hasn't accomplished as much as Austin, Rock, Bret, or Hogan, but he's well past Goldberg in accomplishments.

Dave Youell
02-24-2009, 10:24 AM
I really am not a fan of this whole Wrestler Vs Entertainer crap

Fact is, Shawn can ‘Rassle’ and it’s been proven on many occasions in the past, but he did more than that, and got over with it.

Shawn’s biggest problem was, imo his size and the fact that, at the time of his first title run, he was more like Cena, the adult male fans turned on him, so he never really got to run with the ball more often, that is what would hold him back from being the greatest of all time.

To be the greatest of all time, what do you actually need? For me, I feel it’s simple.

You have to be over, aka, make money, aka, be a draw.

Like it or not, Hogan was/is still a massive draw, I don’t think that WWE right now has anyone that is considered a draw, because the product itself is a draw. Yes the WWF product was a draw, but Hogan was clearly the main attraction, when they tried to re-create new stars in the form of Hellwig, they always went back to Hogan. Look what happened when he left for WCW, business tanked for like 5 years.

So, for me, aside from all his political bullshit he is for me the greatest ever.

Is shawn fucking amazing? Yes, or course he is, and is up there as one of the greatest of all time, the only thing he didn’t do well is draw.

On another subject, I would like to see him get another run with the title before his retirement

Innovator
02-24-2009, 10:27 AM
If he gets a good match out of Koslov, then yes he is.

Krimzon7
02-24-2009, 11:14 AM
MIchaels will be a great, but not THE greatest. I think I'd go with Dave Youell's summation, but I'll plug in SCSA for my monnnnayyyy!!!!

Mooияakeя™
02-24-2009, 03:51 PM
So, based on how long Michaels has been in the biz for, does that make him a better entertainer than the Rock? I love both, and people can argue about their skills on the mat being similar standard too, but for m, Rock over his 5+ years at the top gave me more of a laugh and smile and entertaining moments than Michaels did.

Still, one of my outstanding rememberances was the Iron Man match. For me, as I said it was "THE Iron man match", so no need for dates. But as soon as you saw the man come down the zipline, it was etched in my mind.

Mr. Nerfect
02-24-2009, 10:03 PM
How did Goldberg achieve more than Shawn Michaels as a sports entertainer? HBK has won pretty much every title in the WWE, most of which he won multiple times. Goldberg had what, 2 total World Title runs, a couple of US Title runs and 1 tag title run? I mean, he had the streak, but his time in wrestling has been minimal at best. I'm not tryin to be a dick or anything, I agree that Shawn hasn't accomplished as much as Austin, Rock, Bret, or Hogan, but he's well past Goldberg in accomplishments.

Goldberg was pretty much known by anyone during his day. I even owned Goldberg merchandsie, and I never even watched WCW. No one besides wrestling fans have a clue who Shawn Michaels is, and even fewer give a crap.

I'm not saying that to shit over Michaels. The man is a fantastic worker, and will go down as one of the greatest ever. I just cannot see justification to put him in the same breath as guys like Stone Cold Steve Austin, though. Men that actually sucked people into the business, and made a lot of money for a lot of people.

HBK may be the greatest non-draw in the history of wrestling, and he probably deserves a place on the Top Ten Greatest of All-Time, and the WWE will probably try and push him as the GOAT when he does retire, but he just didn't excel at anything enough to really cement himself as the best.

BigDaddyCool
02-24-2009, 10:07 PM
I want to stab noid so bad right now.

Don't you understand that HBM is the same kind of legend Flair is? Non-wrestling fans may only be vaguley aware of him, but if you like wrestling, you know HBK is one of the greatest. You are such a fucking faggot retard. Get out of here with that shit.

Mr. Nerfect
02-24-2009, 10:30 PM
I want to stab noid so bad right now.

Don't you understand that HBM is the same kind of legend Flair is? Non-wrestling fans may only be vaguley aware of him, but if you like wrestling, you know HBK is one of the greatest. You are such a fucking faggot retard. Get out of here with that shit.

You're a loser.

Jeritron
02-24-2009, 10:45 PM
More people know who Shawn Michaels is than you're giving him credit for. Especially when compariing him to Goldberg. Sure, Goldberg was a big hit for a few years in WCW. So was Shawn Michaels.
Tons of people under the age of 40, who aren't wrestling fans, are familiar with Shawn Michaels. I know this for a fact.

Also, I'm not even taking into account the fact that he was in DX. That's huge too.

Jeritron
02-24-2009, 10:48 PM
Maybe things are different where you're from. Australia right? I can't testify for your region. I just know mine, and in America Shawn Michaels is a part of the pop culture consciousness. Especially for young people. He may only have a minor role in the fabric of pop culture, but it's still a decent role nonetheless. That's more than 99% of wrestlers can say.

James Steele
02-24-2009, 11:06 PM
Noid, shut the fuck up you delusional smark bitch.

Are you seriously saying that Shawn Michaels is a complete unknown? Where the hell have you been? Is he on the same level of pop culture as Hogan or Austin, but nobody is but those two and The Rock. Just because he isn't one of the biggest names in the world doesn't mean a good fucking chunk of people know who he is. Shawn Michaels has cemented his place in pop culture and wrestling history with his body of work since returning in 2002.

Let me guess, CM Punk or Raven is more known around the world?

Mr. Nerfect
02-24-2009, 11:27 PM
Noid, shut the fuck up you delusional smark bitch.

Are you seriously saying that Shawn Michaels is a complete unknown? Where the hell have you been? Is he on the same level of pop culture as Hogan or Austin, but nobody is but those two and The Rock. Just because he isn't one of the biggest names in the world doesn't mean a good fucking chunk of people know who he is. Shawn Michaels has cemented his place in pop culture and wrestling history with his body of work since returning in 2002.

Let me guess, CM Punk or Raven is more known around the world?

*Sigh* No, I didn't say that Shawn Michaels was a complete unknown. I am saying that he has never been the draw that is needed to go down as the greatest of all-time, though. Pretty much the same as Dave Youell.

John Cena, Batista, The Undertaker, Stone Cold Steve Austin, The Rock, Ric Flair and Hulk Hogan are all wrestlers I hear mentioned from time-to-time in every day life. Never once have I heard anyone talk about Shawn Michaels. Sorry, that's just the way it has been. Maybe he has been a huge draw, and statistics just lied to me. In that case, I apologise for hurting your feelings. :roll:

Truthfully, I have heard Scotty 2 Hotty mentioned more times in everday conversation than Shawn Michaels (twice -- both in association with "The Worm"). I'm not saying that Scotty 2 Hotty is a bigger star, or a better wrestler, but I'm just pointing out how little HBK has touched the mainstream consciousness. Over here, at least.

Mr. Nerfect
02-24-2009, 11:35 PM
More people know who Shawn Michaels is than you're giving him credit for. Especially when compariing him to Goldberg. Sure, Goldberg was a big hit for a few years in WCW. So was Shawn Michaels.
Tons of people under the age of 40, who aren't wrestling fans, are familiar with Shawn Michaels. I know this for a fact.

Also, I'm not even taking into account the fact that he was in DX. That's huge too.

I'll give you that I have heard DX mentioned outside of wrestling. I've heard a few people play their theme song, and I've seen a few people bust out crotch chops. I cannot attest to the same thing you are saying, though. Goldberg was a draw. HBK only really got fans because they were already watching.

I'm not saying that Goldberg is overall greater than Shawn Michaels. Not at all. I'm just saying, I believe Heyman is right in making a case that purely from one perspective, Goldberg has been more successful than HBK. When you look at their entire careers, though, Goldberg becomes more exposed as "flash in the pan," and Michaels has a lot of classics to his name.

My opinion: Shawn Michaels should be considered an "Icon." Much the same as Stone Cold Steve Austin, Hulk Hogan, The Rock, Ric Flair, Andre the Giant, The Undertaker and Lou Thesz -- but I'd put him closer towards the back of that class than the front.

IC Champion
02-25-2009, 12:07 AM
Noid actually made sense in a few sentences.

Stickman
02-25-2009, 12:28 AM
Was he ever really a draw?

I think he's pretty damn close to being the greatest, but I don't know if he put butts in the seats.

Mr. Nerfect
02-25-2009, 12:54 AM
Was he ever really a draw?

I think he's pretty damn close to being the greatest, but I don't know if he put butts in the seats.

I believe the period he was meant to be carrying the company was one of the lowest rated ever. The onus for this also falls on guys like Diesel and Bret Hart, though. But I wouldn't make a case for either of them to be the undisputed greatest, either.

Juan
02-25-2009, 01:22 AM
Comparing Shawn Michaels to Goldberg would be like comparing ice cream to horse manure.

Juan
02-25-2009, 01:22 AM
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee97/Gsquared_2007/SHW/Bobby_Heenan.jpg

Nark Order
02-25-2009, 01:26 AM
At least horse manure would have a reason to be shitty all the time though.

Mr. Nerfect
02-25-2009, 05:36 AM
At least horse manure would have a reason to be shitty all the time though.

It's not horse shit. It's horse manure. I won't accept any excuses from it while it tries to give itself a prettier image.

Mr. Nerfect
02-25-2009, 05:37 AM
And correction. Goldberg is horse manure. In battle mode. Comparing Shawn Michaels to Goldberg isn't like comparing ice-cream to horse manure; it's like comparing Shawn Michaels to horse manure.

Unforunately, horse manure has made more appearances in residences across the world than Shawn Michaels has.

Krimzon7
02-25-2009, 06:13 AM
That's vintage Juan! He's on fire....

Noid made sense in his last post. HBK is an Icon, He will be a Legend, and a HOF'er. No doubting that. But for the money, I'd put the Rock and SCSA ahead of him. I would perhaps have flair edge him by a hair, simply becasue Flair carried the NWA and he was one of the first nation wide draws. I mean this dude went from territory to territory and put asses in seats. Flair made stables cool, he was the first legit 'superstar' with a trade mark noise, and a trade mark hand sign. He brought us into the 'superstar' era of wrestling. That puts at least one person ahead of HBM that's tough to argue.

Xero
02-25-2009, 07:08 AM
Noid, you're fucking retarded.

Theo Dious
02-25-2009, 08:17 AM
Goldberg was pretty much known by anyone during his day. I even owned Goldberg merchandsie, and I never even watched WCW. No one besides wrestling fans have a clue who Shawn Michaels is, and even fewer give a crap.

You are seriously the biggest troll or the biggest idiot ever. Possibly both.

BigDaddyCool
02-25-2009, 08:56 AM
Actaully, the other day my brother, who hates wrestlings and doesn't follow it ever, and never was into it asked about the guy who's theme song starts "ah ah ah ah," you know the one with kinda screaming sex sounds? Yeah, sounds like some non-wrestling fans know who Shawn Micheals is.

Dave Youell
02-25-2009, 08:58 AM
Perhaps some extra perspective on Noid's quotes

The last boom period was 1998-2001 (roughly)

HBK's last match was in March of 1998 when he passed the torch to Austin and wasn't seen again in a major role until his full time return against HHH (can't remember the year, want to say 2002 or 04)

The 3 year period where Michaels was missing created some pretty major stars:

HHH
Mankind
The Rock
Austin (more continuing the building)

and on the WCW side of things:

Goldberg

Well basically just Goldberg on WCW as they sucked at making new stars, but that's another matter

Because the business was so hot in the boom period, you could make someone the most over guy on the show within a few weeks of pushing them, wrestling was everywhere and for a 2 year period, there's nowhere you could go without seeing Goldberg being pushed as WCW poster child.

Shawn was never pushed in the same way to the public during his run, because business was so down in 94/95 and also because they didn't have the marketing skills they got towards the end of the millennium.

So, in conclusion, more people could potentially know about Goldberg over Shawn Michaels, because Shawn missing the businesses hottest period and was no where near the main event for the previous boom. Goldberg got lucky with his exposure and thus, I can see where Noid is coming from.

You know, maybe sometimes people should stop trying to attack Noid and just see a different perspective on what he's saying, it's not a situation where anything he posts is totally dis-regarded, just lighten up people!

BigDaddyCool
02-25-2009, 09:02 AM
No, I can only attack noid because he is a dumbass.

BigDaddyCool
02-25-2009, 09:08 AM
Saying Goldberg, who was a flash in the pan, is more of a wrestling legend than Shawn Micheals is like trying to say the Ultimate Warrior was more of a legend than Rick Flair. Goldberg had a huge out of no where push then as quickly as he went up, he went back down. Micheals has done more for the business than Goldberg has took from the business.

Xero
02-25-2009, 09:17 AM
Just because someone is known outside the business for the business doesn't make them better. A "great" wrestler needs to be all-around great in all areas. Michaels matches that. Goldberg just happened to get a push at the right time. Anyone who was big, could grunt and dominate a match for five minutes could have been Goldberg.

I stand by my opinion that Kurt Angle is the greatest to step into the ring. Awesome in the ring, on the mic, great charisma, can play both heel and face, etc. He wasn't/isn't a HUGE draw, but to not include him with the "greats" like Austin, Flair or Hogan is ridiculous. Same goes for Michaels.

If someone knows of, say, Hulk Hogan, yet has never watched a wrestling show in their life, what does that really do for the wrestling business? Nothing. He didn't draw those people in, he just happened to be big enough for the word of mouth or media whoring to get around.

Dave Youell
02-25-2009, 09:32 AM
Saying Goldberg, who was a flash in the pan, is more of a wrestling legend than Shawn Micheals is like trying to say the Ultimate Warrior was more of a legend than Rick Flair. Goldberg had a huge out of no where push then as quickly as he went up, he went back down. Micheals has done more for the business than Goldberg has took from the business.

Noid never said that Goldberg was a legend, only that he's more well known that HBK outside of the wrestling community, that's where I was coming from

Dave Youell
02-25-2009, 09:35 AM
If someone knows of, say, Hulk Hogan, yet has never watched a wrestling show in their life, what does that really do for the wrestling business? Nothing. He didn't draw those people in, he just happened to be big enough for the word of mouth or media whoring to get around.

Hulk Hogan did draw people in, saying he didn't is insane, everyone knew who he was, and more people were drawn in because of it. Just because every person on earth didn't watch wrestling doesn't mean that he didn't help the business.

If there's anyone that's never watched wrestling, but can state that person x is a wrestler, surely that proves how popular Hogan must of/sadly still is

Xero
02-25-2009, 11:34 AM
I never said he didn't help the business. He was one of the best (and worst) things to ever happen to it. My point is that to be a "great" doesn't necessarily mean you're known to the mainstream/non-wrestling fan crowd and vice versa.

Realistically, with the right push and either a great gimmick or a decent amount of charisma, anyone could get mainstream attention. It's when you outshine to fans across the board that you become great. Otherwise you're just another Hollywood star forced down fans' throats.

Jeritron
02-25-2009, 03:13 PM
Noid, you're looking at things in black and white. You need to look at them relative to their circumstances.

Goldberg drew more money than Michaels...sure, if you're simply counting company business while they were champion. But the bottom line is Goldberg was put over by Hogan and had the belt put on him during the company's boom period.
This is like claiming that anyone who was champion during a time of higher ratings was neccesarilly a bigger draw than anyone who was champion in a lower rated time period.
In the modern era, people watch the programming, attend the live events, and order the ppvs based off the whole product. Who's champion doesn't neccesarily mean everything.

If you take a PPV with a large buyrate, do you credit the title match, or do you look at the whole picture? Think about Armageddon 99. Did Big Show vs Bossman draw the house? Ratings were high at the time, and live attendance was through the roof. Was Big Show a huge draw? Was Bossman a draw?
No, HHH and The Rock were, as well as Vince and Mankind. They just happened to be in non-title matches.

Guys like Michaels, Diesel and Hart might not have drawn the same money, but that doesn't mean they weren't equally as impressive draws. I've stated before that although business might have been down when Michaels was champion he was the WHOLE SHOW. Bret had time off, Austin hadn't emerged yet, and the Outsiders just left for Atlanta. Other than Taker, he was carrying the company on his back.

The company had been struggling ever since Hogan and Savage blew out the door. It was a downtime for the company. It wasn't the fault of the champions. It was the result of a lean roster. It was a dip in business overall, not a case of low drawing champions.

Bret and Michaels were never properly put over by the top guys before them, and the "New Generation" was a struggle that went much deeper than you're giving it credit for.

Kane Knight
02-25-2009, 05:01 PM
Noid never said that Goldberg was a legend, only that he's more well known that HBK outside of the wrestling community, that's where I was coming from

That might have been true at the time, but I seriously doubt it's even remotely true now.

Theo Dious
02-25-2009, 11:52 PM
You know, maybe sometimes people should stop trying to attack Noid and just see a different perspective on what he's saying, it's not a situation where anything he posts is totally dis-regarded, just lighten up people!

Goldberg was intrinsically NOTHING though. His fame was based solely on a face vacuum and a massive media push. He had the good fortune to be in the right place at the right time. He was a big, intense guy who could whip up a crowd. He was put in at a time where the nWo was a bloated heel group who had already either run over or absorbed every face in WCW. Goldberg was pushed to blaze through the previously unstoppable monster that the nWo was. His peak came when he won the title, and he deflated like a balloon under shotgun fire when the streak ended. He spent less than three years making ANY kind of impact on the business, and in his last high profile match, both he and his opponent were booed in favor of a special guest referee. He didn't change the business, he revolutionized nothing. He was a placeholder. Any number of guys could have done what he did with the same push and timing.

Shawn Michaels on the other hand came up from being a nobody and got attention with his ability to perform. He was the height of midcard wrestling in the WWF for several years before being given the top spot. He and Bret Hart went against the grain of the expected image of a champion and carried the company through a period of massive decline of the wrestling business. If you don't have Shawn Michaels in the WWF in the mid 90s, what do you have? Not much. If you don't have Goldberg, what do you have? Another guy doing the same thing in his place. "Goldberg" did not draw more money than Shawn Michaels, a large beast of a man with a marketing machine and massive push behind him drew more money than Shawn Michaels, and without the monster of the nWo to fight against, Goldberg would have drawn nothing. I'll refrain from attacking Noid when he says something that has some kind of credibility to it. There are plenty of people one could credibly hold against Shawn Michaels, and you can argue that Goldberg may have had more financial success than Michaels, but Michaels has had so more of an impact in his career as to compare an earthquake to a fart.

Theo Dious
02-25-2009, 11:53 PM
Incidentally: my mom knows who Shawn Michaels is, and when I mentioned Goldberg, she thought I was talking about a baseball player.

Kane Knight
02-26-2009, 12:11 AM
Goldberg was intrinsically NOTHING though. His fame was based solely on a face vacuum and a massive media push. He had the good fortune to be in the right place at the right time. He was a big, intense guy who could whip up a crowd. He was put in at a time where the nWo was a bloated heel group who had already either run over or absorbed every face in WCW. Goldberg was pushed to blaze through the previously unstoppable monster that the nWo was. His peak came when he won the title, and he deflated like a balloon under shotgun fire when the streak ended. He spent less than three years making ANY kind of impact on the business, and in his last high profile match, both he and his opponent were booed in favor of a special guest referee. He didn't change the business, he revolutionized nothing. He was a placeholder. Any number of guys could have done what he did with the same push and timing.

Shawn Michaels on the other hand came up from being a nobody and got attention with his ability to perform. He was the height of midcard wrestling in the WWF for several years before being given the top spot. He and Bret Hart went against the grain of the expected image of a champion and carried the company through a period of massive decline of the wrestling business. If you don't have Shawn Michaels in the WWF in the mid 90s, what do you have? Not much. If you don't have Goldberg, what do you have? Another guy doing the same thing in his place. "Goldberg" did not draw more money than Shawn Michaels, a large beast of a man with a marketing machine and massive push behind him drew more money than Shawn Michaels, and without the monster of the nWo to fight against, Goldberg would have drawn nothing. I'll refrain from attacking Noid when he says something that has some kind of credibility to it. There are plenty of people one could credibly hold against Shawn Michaels, and you can argue that Goldberg may have had more financial success than Michaels, but Michaels has had so more of an impact in his career as to compare an earthquake to a fart.

I only have one question: Why are you attacking Noid so vehemently?

Mr. Nerfect
02-26-2009, 12:15 AM

I never said that Goldberg is more of a wrestling legend than Shawn Michaels.

Just because someone is known outside the business for the business doesn't make them better. A "great" wrestler needs to be all-around great in all areas. Michaels matches that. Goldberg just happened to get a push at the right time. Anyone who was big, could grunt and dominate a match for five minutes could have been Goldberg.

I stand by my opinion that Kurt Angle is the greatest to step into the ring. Awesome in the ring, on the mic, great charisma, can play both heel and face, etc. He wasn't/isn't a HUGE draw, but to not include him with the "greats" like Austin, Flair or Hogan is ridiculous. Same goes for Michaels.

Everyone here is overlooking just how big Goldberg was in the day, I feel. And I'm not saying that makes him better than Shawn Michaels. I'll take HBK any day, and place his importance to the industry higher. I was just agreeing with Heyman when he listed Goldberg and was questioned for it.

Of course some non-wrestling fans know who Shawn Michaels is. I've heard people talk about fucking Scotty 2 Hotty. If anyone took my comments on Michaels not being known by anyone outside the wrestling consciousness literally, they are a fucking idiot. My point was that Shawn Michaels, for some of the reasons listed by Dave and Jeritron, has never been a part of mainstream pop-culture. I'd possibly call Shawn Michaels the greatest to have never been a big "draw." But I am of the belief that to truly be the greatest ever, you have to do your job, do it well (something that can be questioned about Goldberg, for example), and yes, I do believe you have to make some money.

It doesn't help that "greatest" is such a broad thing to judge. Are we talking solely based on an individual's wrestling skill? Their promo ability? What they have done for the industry? You're going to get a varying array of answers for "Greatest of All-Time," because people place importance on different qualifiers.

But to answer the question of this thread: I believe that the WWE will put HBK over as one of the best of all-time, because he is. I don't think they will flat-out call him "the best," but you might hear more specific adjectives thrown out for him.

Dave Youell
02-26-2009, 03:38 AM
Goldberg was intrinsically NOTHING though. His fame was based solely on a face vacuum and a massive media push. He had the good fortune to be in the right place at the right time.

This is my point!

He was pushed through the media, in a way Shawn never was.

Now, I know this can't really be taken as anything material, but when you googlefight Shawn Micheals and Bill Golderg, Goldberg wins, he has more pages on the net than Shawn.

Shawn - 254000
Goldberg - 272000

Now I'm not saying that means too much, but when you consider Goldbergs flash in the pan 4 years to Shawn's 20 years in the biz I think it tells an interesting story

Theo Dious
02-26-2009, 08:02 AM
If anyone took my comments on Michaels not being known by anyone outside the wrestling consciousness literally, they are a fucking idiot.

I am so sick and tired of hearing this. If you say something, back it up already. If you didn't mean it, that's what :shifty: is for.

Theo Dious
02-26-2009, 08:04 AM
This is like claiming that anyone who was champion during a time of higher ratings was neccesarilly a bigger draw than anyone who was champion in a lower rated time period.

I don't even know where you'd get these numbers, but I'd love to know how the Big Show's first title reign stacked up in ratings and money drawn vs one of Shawn's.

Krimzon7
02-26-2009, 09:04 AM
Who actually has Vinny's books? let's open them right now and end this debate!

Kane Knight
02-26-2009, 09:11 AM
If anyone took my comments on Michaels not being known by anyone outside the wrestling consciousness literally, they are a fucking idiot.

LOL.

Impact!
02-26-2009, 09:19 AM
Maybe things are different where you're from. Australia right?

That's def a big part in this.

Xero
02-26-2009, 09:21 AM
I am so sick and tired of hearing this. If you say something, back it up already. If you didn't mean it, that's what :shifty: is for.
I love Noid.

:shifty:

The Mask
02-26-2009, 09:47 AM
This is my point!

Now, I know this can't really be taken as anything material, but when you googlefight Shawn Micheals and Bill Golderg, Goldberg wins, he has more pages on the net than Shawn.

Shawn - 254000
Goldberg - 272000

Now I'm not saying that means too much, but when you consider Goldbergs flash in the pan 4 years to Shawn's 20 years in the biz I think it tells an interesting story

that story being goldberg is a common surname? seriously just type them both into google and see what the first 10 pages are.

Xero
02-26-2009, 09:51 AM
This is my point!

Shawn - 254000
Goldberg - 272000

Google Search: Goldberg + WWE OR WCW OR Wrestling OR WWF
Results: 660,000

Google Search: "Shawn Michaels" + WWE OR WCW OR Wrestling OR WWF
Results: 2,210,000

Yeah.

BigDaddyCool
02-26-2009, 10:00 AM
Noid, do you understand that the words you type on the reply window is what makes up your points and that your internal thoughts don't count as part of the argument on TPWW? So if you don't literally mean something, you have to make some sort of indication to the rest of us that you don't really mean it. This can be archived in a number of ways, one of the sarcastic smilies, making an asterisk and then saying "I'm joking" or something like that, completely piling on the sarcasm until it is unmistakably not literal, and many other way. You saying something then 20 post later coming back and saying you didn't really mean it and everyone else is an idiot for not knowing that you were being facetious.

The Mask
02-26-2009, 10:14 AM
shawn michaels
1,910,000 results

bill goldberg
508,000 results

thread over go home

Kane Knight
02-26-2009, 10:35 AM
Noid, do you understand that the words you type on the reply window is what makes up your points and that your internal thoughts don't count as part of the argument on TPWW? So if you don't literally mean something, you have to make some sort of indication to the rest of us that you don't really mean it. This can be archived in a number of ways, one of the sacrastic smilies, making an astrix and then saying "I'm joking" or something like that, completely piling on the sacrasim until it is unmistakably not literal, and many other way. You saying something then 20 post later coming back and saying you didn't really mean it and everyone else is an idiot for not knowing that you were being faceteous.

Haha....You actually spelled facetious the way I told you to....:shifty:

No, but seriously, BDC, it's retarded to expect people to always denote when they're not being absolutely literal, and nobody should ever realistically expect that. And if it weren't Noid as the center of this argument, it wouldn't be so goddamn hilarious. Let Noid's "Chris Crocker" squad bitch about how I'm attacking Noid, but something like 80% of the time he argues with me ends up being based on him taking literal that which shouldn't be, so it's adorable that he's casting stones from that glass house.

But BDC, now you're taking the Noid approach. "God Dammit, Noid, I'm too stupid to properly interpret your non-literal statements, so it's your fault!"

Kane Knight
02-26-2009, 10:43 AM
This is my point!

Shawn - 254000
Goldberg - 272000

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c345/ZacharyAmaranth/googlefightwrestlers.jpg?t=1235662969

LOLWHAT

Kane Knight
02-26-2009, 10:48 AM
Though I do get considerably fewer hits under "Shawn Micheals," so I'm wondering if Youell just spelled it like he did in his post.

BigDaddyCool
02-26-2009, 10:56 AM
At the end of the day, Goldberg stood on the backs of gaints to get where he got in wrestlings. Shawn Micheals had to do it by himself (well and the Kliq which he is arguably the most important member of at the time).

Oh, and I meant Goldberg on the gaints both literally and figuratively.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IAwb_iAyJy4&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IAwb_iAyJy4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Slow
02-26-2009, 02:46 PM
This is all very nice, but being the greatest wrestler of all time means you have to be both technical and charasmatic, and so over that people will cheer for them even as a heel. ALSO, must be hugely respected in the locker room and by backstage people.

The greatest ever, as much as i would love to say Edge or Raven,
is Mark Caloway

CSL
02-26-2009, 03:22 PM
Shawn Michaels is the greatest in ring performer in the history of professional wrestling

He is not the greatest wrestler of all time

Theo Dious
02-26-2009, 08:40 PM
Shawn Michaels is the greatest in ring performer in the history of professional wrestling

He is not the greatest wrestler of all time

Yeah, bitches. define wrestler!

Theo Dious
02-26-2009, 08:40 PM
I love Noid.

I love YOU.

:love:

Xero
02-26-2009, 08:47 PM
I don't love you.

Krimzon7
02-26-2009, 08:52 PM
I now love this thread :foc:

Xero
02-26-2009, 08:54 PM
Well now I'm completely confused.

Had to throw that wrench in there, didn't you, K7?

:drool:

Mr. Nerfect
02-26-2009, 08:56 PM

You've got to be kidding me? If you can't sort through obvious hyperbole to find a point, then I'm not going to help you.

And BDC, I don't know how things can get any less literal than taking points to absolutes. There is no holding back on the inner process there. Also, do you and KK really rehearse together? If so, that is sad.

And what the fuck is a gaint?

Krimzon7
02-26-2009, 08:56 PM
Well now I'm completely confused.

Had to throw that wrench in there, didn't you, K7?

:drool:

You guys are hilarious! :(

Xero
02-26-2009, 09:01 PM
I know.
<marquee>http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g122/sandman3g/dogrun.gif</marquee>

Super V
02-26-2009, 09:03 PM
Goldberg was, and is more popular than Shawn Michaels. Sorry fanboys. That's all I gotta add to this.

Krimzon7
02-26-2009, 09:07 PM
:| I was trying to find a school bus gif to hit rover...

mild fail

Mr. Nerfect
02-26-2009, 09:10 PM
Google Search: Goldberg + WWE OR WCW OR Wrestling OR WWF
Results: 660,000

Google Search: "Shawn Michaels" + WWE OR WCW OR Wrestling OR WWF
Results: 2,210,000

Yeah.

That's stupid. Especially considering Michaels has spent a longer period of time in the business, and has been more featured in an era where the internet is bigger than ever. How about we divide Michaels' count to equate to the duration Goldberg was in wrestling? Also:

Shawn Michaels: 1,810,000
Goldberg: 21,000,000

Checkmate. :shifty: (take note, Tedious)

Also, people are taking this Shawn Michaels vs. Goldberg debate way too far. No one was trying to say that Goldberg is greater than HBK overall. We're merely discussing one aspect of the business. HBK made shit all money as WWE Champion. And yes, Tedious, that is an exaggeration. Get over it.

Mr. Nerfect
02-26-2009, 09:13 PM
Goldberg was, and is more popular than Shawn Michaels. Sorry fanboys. That's all I gotta add to this.

I've got to agree. Especially over here. Just heard someone talk about Goldberg yesterday. Of course, we have the "benefit" of having Goldberg's television series, Bullrun, air on FOX8 over here, which is pretty much the biggest cable station we have (it airs pretty much everything WWE-related). So Goldberg's picture is up on the television with his commercials a lot.

But "Goldberg, that wrestler guy" hosts it. People know that. Not sure they know who Shawn Michaels is.

Xero
02-26-2009, 09:15 PM
Goldberg...

Bigger in the media: Absolutely.
Bigger in the business: Absolutely not.

And that's all that matters.

Theo Dious
02-26-2009, 09:17 PM
I don't love you.

We already established in a different thread that you don't like black people, so this is not surprising.

Xero
02-26-2009, 09:17 PM
We already established in a different thread that you don't like black people, so this is not surprising.

May have pulled a Noid back there.

Mr. Nerfect
02-26-2009, 09:18 PM
I don't even know where you'd get these numbers, but I'd love to know how the Big Show's first title reign stacked up in ratings and money drawn vs one of Shawn's.

I can't find the source now, so you're just going to dismiss it (which is fair enough, this is just a anecdote that runs off your question), but I remember being surprised to discover that Big Show (at one stage, anyway) actually boosted ratings whenever he was on the television. They went up like 30%, or something.

I'm not sure if that trend has stuck with Big Show over the years, or if it was effective during his title reigns. I'm also not sure how much money Big Show has made in gates while he has been main eventing, but I do know that Big Show is deceiving profitable to professional wrestling.

Theo Dious
02-26-2009, 09:18 PM
You've got to be kidding me? If you can't sort through obvious hyperbole to find a point, then I'm not going to help you.

Hyperbole works best when the person practicing it is, you know, good at it.

Mr. Nerfect
02-26-2009, 09:19 PM
Goldberg...

Bigger in the media: Absolutely.
Bigger in the business: Absolutely not.

And that's all that matters.

What do you mean "bigger in the business?"

Ruien
02-26-2009, 09:20 PM

No, but seriously, BDC, it's retarded to expect people to always denote when they're not being absolutely literal, and nobody should ever realistically expect that. And if it weren't Noid as the center of this argument, it wouldn't be so goddamn hilarious. Let Noid's "Chris Crocker" squad bitch about how I'm attacking Noid, but something like 80% of the time he argues with me ends up being based on him taking literal that which shouldn't be, so it's adorable that he's casting stones from that glass house.

But BDC, now you're taking the Noid approach. "God Dammit, Noid, I'm too stupid to properly interpret your non-literal statements, so it's your fault!"

Whow, I am shocked. Someone put this in their sig, "Kane Knight defends Noid over BDC".

Juan
02-26-2009, 09:23 PM
lol Noid's "Chris Crocker" squad

Xero
02-26-2009, 09:25 PM
What do you mean "bigger in the business?"

Backstage and with non-fair-weather fans, Michaels wins out. With ease.

Theo Dious
02-26-2009, 09:25 PM
I can't find the source now, so you're just going to dismiss it (which is fair enough, this is just a anecdote that runs off your question), but I remember being surprised to discover that Big Show (at one stage, anyway) actually boosted ratings whenever he was on the television. They went up like 30%, or something.

Now this is exactly my point; did ratings boost because people wanted to see Paul Wight, or because they were excited to see a new face thrown into what had been the Austin/Rock show? The parellel question being, were fans excited to see the shaved ape they called Golderg, or were they excited to see the hyped-up beast that was going to slay Hogan and the nWo? Given the fact that Goldberg's popularity tanked when his initial push ended, I gravitate towards the latter.

My point: Goldberg was not more popular than Shawn Michaels. The Streak and the spear may have been more popular than Shawn Michaels. Which I'm still not convinced of, and I'm not entirely sure I've ever heard of a piped-in "HBK" chant.

Theo Dious
02-26-2009, 09:26 PM

Define ease. :shifty:

Mr. Nerfect
02-26-2009, 09:27 PM
Hyperbole works best when the person practicing it is, you know, good at it.

Tedious, no one ever has, nor ever will, love you. See, I'm damn good at hyperbole. It's an easy thing. It's exaggeration. The only way to mess it up is to not exaggerate at all. Also, considering you went into a flurry trying to defend against the emphasis I placed, I'd say it was damn effective in making a point to you.

Unfortunately, hyperbole can fall on idiots' ears.

Xero
02-26-2009, 09:28 PM
Define ease. :shifty:

12. Shipbuilding. to trim (a timber of a wooden hull) so as to fair its surface into the desired form of the hull.

Juan
02-26-2009, 09:30 PM
This thread has turned into a hot mess

Theo Dious
02-26-2009, 09:30 PM
12. Shipbuilding. to trim (a timber of a wooden hull) so as to fair its surface into the desired form of the hull.

So Shawn Michaels is also bigger than Goldberg in seamanship.

Mr. Nerfect
02-26-2009, 09:34 PM

I've never understood this "Noid is linear" thing you have with me. Being non-linear in my every day life has actually got me into quite a bit of trouble. Sometimes I take issue with the way you say things (no offense, but you sound like the most unpleasant person in the world to know sometimes), but very rarely do I take anything you say literally. I know you're acting like a cock because you can. But that's the problem I have with it.

But thank you for not taking BDC's side just because you can.

Also, the reason Tedious is attacking me so vehemently is because I agreed with the statement that in one form or another, Goldberg might just be more relevant than Shawn Michaels. Something that even Xero has conceded to.

Theo Dious
02-26-2009, 09:34 PM
Tedious, no one ever has, nor ever will, love you. See, I'm damn good at hyperbole. It's an easy thing. It's exaggeration.

Um... Noid...

Hyperbole:
1. obvious and intentional exaggeration.
2. an extravagant statement or figure of speech not intended to be taken literally, as “to wait an eternity.”

What you just did there in that quote is actually:

Irony:
1. the use of words to convey a meaning that is the opposite of its literal meaning: the irony of her reply, “How nice!” when I said I had to work all weekend.

Now, what word am I looking for here... ah yes:

Jackass:
1. a male donkey.
2. a contemptibly foolish or stupid person; dolt; blockhead; ass.

Mr. Nerfect
02-26-2009, 09:46 PM

Backstage, definitely. With non-fair-weather fans? I'll give you that, but I think Goldberg not being in the industry right now would have a lot to do with that. When Goldberg was around, he was the guy in WCW. Shawn Michaels has never been the guy in WWE.

I have never tried to make the implication that Goldberg is "better" than Shawn Michaels in any more than one area: appreciation with casual fans and the general population of the world. It's a very shallow victory, as it pertains to a wrestler's relationship with people who have a very passing interest in wrestling.

Discussing this with smarks is a bad idea. We can get very protective, and as we're immersed in the wrestling world, we get quite defensive when someone tries to tell us that "Wrestler We Hold in High Esteem" can't do this or that, and "Wrestler We Know Is Asshole and Had Easy Street" can.

I'm going to try and compare the Shawn Michaels: Greatest Ever(?) debate to something in film, another of my passions. When listing the greatest movie of all-time, there are certain correct answers. Citizen Kane, The Godfather, etc. That doesn't mean that they are your favourite movies. They are just regarded as "the best." I might really like Rear Window, which is an absolute classic, but is just not one of those "correct" answers. It's still a classic, and has influenced so many other great movies.

Rear Window is how I think of Shawn Michaels.

BigDaddyCool
02-26-2009, 09:48 PM
Noid, shut up.

Kane Knight
02-26-2009, 10:52 PM
I think if BDC and I rehearsed, we'd agree more often.

Impact!
02-27-2009, 01:14 AM
lol man this thread has gone downhill

Dave Youell
02-27-2009, 03:38 AM
Though I do get considerably fewer hits under "Shawn Micheals," so I'm wondering if Youell just spelled it like he did in his post.

Most likely

I'll conceed defeat now

Mr. Nerfect
02-27-2009, 04:44 AM
Um... Noid...

Hyperbole:
1. obvious and intentional exaggeration.
2. an extravagant statement or figure of speech not intended to be taken literally, as “to wait an eternity.”

Bingo. See the landmark post where Kane Knight actually supported me for further clarification on this.

Kane Knight
02-27-2009, 01:03 PM
I love how Noid tried to redefine what I said. Good job on both the redefinition and the hypocrisy. Now, let's get back to something lighter, like the etymology of chairmanual.

BigDaddyCool
02-27-2009, 03:38 PM
See, Chairmanual is the booklet or possibly sheet of paper that instructs you on how to put the chair together when you pull it out of the box. Somehow, it is also the same as Vince McMahon because of Noid logic.

Kane Knight
02-27-2009, 04:34 PM
See, Chairmanual is the booklet or possibly sheet of paper that instructs you on how to put the chair together when you pull it out of the box. Somehow, it is also the same as Vince McMahon because of Noid logic.

To be fair, I'm pretty sure Noid's dictionary gaffes are all satire. Nobody can honestly botch the English language that horribly without doing so intentionally.

Mr. Nerfect
02-27-2009, 11:03 PM
I love how Noid tried to redefine what I said. Good job on both the redefinition and the hypocrisy. Now, let's get back to something lighter, like the etymology of chairmanual.

No, I didn't try to redefine what you said. I took exactly what you said, and directed Tedious to it.

Mr. Nerfect
02-27-2009, 11:04 PM
Also, chairmanual isn't a word. :roll:

Mr. Nerfect
02-27-2009, 11:04 PM
If you want something to put a chair together, you want "instructions." Or the "manual."

blake639raw
02-27-2009, 11:53 PM
Noid is right guys. Get the fuck out of your bubble. Goldberg does suck, but the lowest common demoninator always sells. Goldberg was a bigger draw than HBK. I guarantee you that Goldberg made more money in 98 than Michaels did in any two of his years put together. Michaels has been around alot longer, and contributed alot more to the business due to the length he's been around, but if you ask any casual person on the street to name a wrestler, you'd be surprised how many people like Goldberg, even though to me he is the shits. It's called the ability to look at things objectively, a trait most smarks don't possess.

***awaits obligatory Kane Knight slander post***

Mr. Nerfect
02-28-2009, 12:52 AM
Thank you, blake.

Krimzon7
02-28-2009, 09:34 AM
So, when Michaels retires, we'll bring up Goldberg?