PDA

View Full Version : Combos: A Historic Evaluation

Kalyx triaD
04-08-2009, 04:52 PM
Are fighting games too reliant on multi-hit combo systems? Before we go on, a little history is in order.

The idea of combos began as a bug in Street Fighter 2 (like many of it's common systems, actually). Essentially, the recovery of an attack is shorter than a target's hitstun, giving you a series of uninterrupted attacks. Along with an early form of buffering, combos became examples of top level play in the early fighter communities. Capcom allowed these bugs and embraced them in later versions of Street Fighter 2 (including the first Combo Counter appearing in Super 2). Combos were welcomed into fighting game development, and expanded to include juggles and dial-a-combo structures. Killer Instinct's entire engine focused on combos of (then) crazy length. Even 3D fighters came out embracing combos, with Virtua Fighter introducing preset strings of attacks that defined 3D fighters indefinitely.

So where did combos in fighters take us? Well it revealed that certain bastards aren't above discovering, and exploiting, infinites. It also separated the regulars from the timing experts of the fighting community. Just about every fighting game worth it's salt has a Combo Counter to let you know how many hits you landed after mashi- formulating your last attack package. It's just a normal facet of fighting games.

But is it required? And is it even an indicator of skill anymore?

I remember me and my buds getting better at Tekken 3 and Soul Calibur in the late 90s. We got good at our chosen characters and developed a kind of play that varied from what the general fighting community adopted. We had a tit-for-tat 'where will I attack' format where we took the Namco fighter's style of high/mid/low hit areas and made it a guessing game. We'd try to trick out each other with various stances and patterns of the characters. For all we knew that's how Namco intended.

Then we finally met up with other gamers outside of our own living rooms, some great players, and... exchanged philosophies. We learned that the Namco fighting game landscape was rife with combo strings and technical traps in both Tekken and Soul Calibur series. For a time we thought we were playing it wrong the whole time! Then we noticed that these players were not used to blocking low. A small detail that evened up the landscape just a bit. We were mystified at how clueless they were regarding rather simplistic attack patterns that weren't dependent on long juggles and tech traps. Still, their style was superior and we needed to play to win. We adopted this style of into our own and became better for it. We never really did abandon our philosophy, however.

I bring this up because I've noticed Soul Calibur and Tekken crept slowly toward being combo-centric games. For me this was an acceptable yet annoying change of climate. I looked at Tekken videos showcasing ridiculous strings of juggles that just didn't speak to me a fight - but a game of launchers to get your opponent on some inescapable intake of damage. I imagine Tekken 6 will still allow our kind of gameplay, but new videos confirm even more reliance on juggles. Soul Calibur 4 features a Combo Counter, a first for the series. Street Fighter 4 features a rather open combo system, with Sakura loving every moment of it.

You know what I see when I watch these so-called 'tournament videos'? Endless strings of combos and jockeying for opportunities for more combos. I mean this is great for something like 3rd Strike, where big combos are limited to training mode set-ups and you need to think on your feet. Killer Instinct of course is a concept fighter for combos. But I'm not impressed with 10+ hit strings in Tekken and impossible juggles in Soul Calibur. To me that does not present a fight, but a contest of dialing in buttons without fear of reprisal. I had silent disagreements with this convention for years, keeping it in until now.

I think new fighting games should lessen the need for combos and increase other forms of offensive strategy.

Now this isn't me whining about bringing fighting games to adjust to our methods, oh no, that's not my intention. I like a good combo, I just don't like a game being defined by it's combos. Khuntry and some others can attest that I am an agent of gameplay balance and competitive structure. I personally believe both opponents of similar skill should have nothing but their own minds and characters in a fair engine that did not bow to a specific player's style. In short, a character for a player's style is fine, but not an entire gameplay engine. And most of these engines are combo-centric.

So how do you guys feel about combos and how fighting games use them? Do you think they should flourish or succumb to more open systems that celebrates a broader range of player's styles?

#BROKEN Hasney
04-08-2009, 04:54 PM
C-C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER

El Capitano Gatisto
04-08-2009, 04:57 PM
Are fighting games too reliant on multi-hit combo systems? Before we go on, a little history is in order.

The idea of combos began as a bug in Street Fighter 2 (like many of it's common systems, actually). Essentially, the recovery of an attack is shorter than a target's hitstun, giving you a series of uninterrupted attacks. Along with an early form of buffering, combos became examples of top level play in the early fighter communities. Capcom allowed these bugs and embraced them in later versions of Street Fighter 2 (including the first Combo Counter appearing in Super 2). Combos were welcomed into fighting game development, and expanded to include juggles and dial-a-combo structures. Killer Instinct's entire engine focused on combos of (then) crazy length. Even 3D fighters came out embracing combos, with Virtua Fighter introducing preset strings of attacks that defined 3D fighters indefinitely.

So where did combos in fighters take us? Well it revealed that certain bastards aren't above discovering, and exploiting, infinites. It also separated the regulars from the timing experts of the fighting community. Just about every fighting game worth it's salt has a Combo Counter to let you know how many hits you landed after mashi- formulating your last attack package. It's just a normal facet of fighting games.

But is it required? And is it even an indicator of skill anymore?

I remember me and my buds getting better at Tekken 3 and Soul Calibur in the late 90s. We got good at our chosen characters and developed a kind of play that varied from what the general fighting community adopted. We had a tit-for-tat 'where will I attack' format where we took the Namco fighter's style of high/mid/low hit areas and made it a guessing game. We'd try to trick out each other with various stances and patterns of the characters. For all we knew that's how Namco intended.

Then we finally met up with other gamers outside of our own living rooms, some great players, and... exchanged philosophies. We learned that the Namco fighting game landscape was rife with combo strings and technical traps in both Tekken and Soul Calibur series. For a time we thought we were playing it wrong the whole time! Then we noticed that these players were not used to blocking low. A small detail that evened up the landscape just a bit. We were mystified at how clueless they were regarding rather simplistic attack patterns that weren't dependent on long juggles and tech traps. Still, their style was superior and we needed to play to win. We adopted this style of into our own and became better for it. We never really did abandon our philosophy, however.

I bring this up because I've noticed Soul Calibur and Tekken crept slowly toward being combo-centric games. For me this was an acceptable yet annoying change of climate. I looked at Tekken videos showcasing ridiculous strings of juggles that just didn't speak to me a fight - but a game of launchers to get your opponent on some inescapable intake of damage. I imagine Tekken 6 will still allow our kind of gameplay, but new videos confirm even more reliance on juggles. Soul Calibur 4 features a Combo Counter, a first for the series. Street Fighter 4 features a rather open combo system, with Sakura loving every moment of it.

You know what I see when I watch these so-called 'tournament videos'? Endless strings of combos and jockeying for opportunities for more combos. I mean this is great for something like 3rd Strike, where big combos are limited to training mode set-ups and you need to think on your feet. Killer Instinct of course is a concept fighter for combos. But I'm not impressed with 10+ hit strings in Tekken and impossible juggles in Soul Calibur. To me that does not present a fight, but a contest of dialing in buttons without fear of reprisal. I had silent disagreements with this convention for years, keeping it in until now.

I think new fighting games should lessen the need for combos and increase other forms of offensive strategy.

Now this isn't me whining about bringing fighting games to adjust to our methods, oh no, that's not my intention. I like a good combo, I just don't like a game being defined by it's combos. Khuntry and some others can attest that I am an agent of gameplay balance and competitive structure. I personally believe both opponents of similar skill should have nothing but their own minds and characters in a fair engine that did not bow to a specific player's style. In short, a character for a player's style is fine, but not an entire gameplay engine. And most of these engines are combo-centric.

So how do you guys feel about combos and how fighting games use them? Do you think they should flourish or succumb to more open systems that celebrates a broader range of player's styles?

Gay.

G
04-08-2009, 05:52 PM
I think you should stick with the haduken forums for your video game discussions. That is ridiculous.

Fignuts
04-08-2009, 07:09 PM
Knew this was a kalyx thread as soon as I saw the title.

Kalyx triaD
04-08-2009, 07:18 PM
lol

My Final Heaven
04-08-2009, 09:57 PM
http://www.taquitos.net/im/sn/Combos-Salsa.jpg

Kane Knight
04-08-2009, 11:15 PM
Mmmm...Salsa.

Taft
04-09-2009, 04:58 AM
I'm just going to say.

That I agree with you.

And I read the whole thing..

that makes me gay, apparently.

Who new discussing video games in a video game discussion forum was a homosexual act?

Super V
04-09-2009, 08:59 AM
I don't think he's gay. He is definitely a virgin though.

Ogen
04-09-2009, 09:42 AM
Kalyx 100% wanks off over cartoons.

Kalyx triaD
04-09-2009, 11:22 AM
Not 100 percent. :shifty:

Kalyx triaD
04-09-2009, 11:22 AM
This message is hidden because Super V is on your ignore list.

Kalyx triaD
04-09-2009, 11:25 AM
I'm just going to say.

That I agree with you.

Who new discussing video games in a video game discussion forum was a homosexual act?

We're in the dark, I guess.

Khuntry
04-09-2009, 11:26 AM
I think you should stick with the haduken forums for your video game discussions. That is ridiculous.

*sigh* :(

El Capitano Gatisto
04-09-2009, 11:48 AM
I'm just going to say.

That I agree with you.

Now you know.

Kalyx triaD
04-09-2009, 12:45 PM
*sigh* :(

Yeah, this is what I dealt with for a time (but G's cool, though - don't get me wrong). Then I evolved into the only guy who even writes shit like this. How many forums have fuckin articles? Some people dig it, and when Funky (complained/commented?) that threads like this seemed like aimless magazine articles, I figure I was on the right track. :)

El Capitano Gatisto
04-09-2009, 12:50 PM
What type of magazine? Gaylord Monthly?

Kalyx triaD
04-09-2009, 01:02 PM
Yes... Gaylord Monthly. :roll:

G
04-09-2009, 01:03 PM
I want a subscription.

Taft
04-10-2009, 04:32 AM
I want two.

Super V
04-10-2009, 06:41 AM
This message is hidden because Super V is on your ignore list

I was defending you.

Fignuts
04-10-2009, 09:36 AM
Super V.

Come on dude. Think about this one for a sec.

#BROKEN Hasney
04-10-2009, 10:02 AM
Don't worry, I will relay the message to Kalyx for Super V.

Quote:
<table width="100%" border="0" cellpadding="4" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr> <td class="alt2" style="border: 1px inset ;"> Originally Posted by Kalyx triaD http://www.tpww.net/forums/images/buttonsred/viewpost.gif (http://www.tpww.net/forums/showthread.php?p=2494989#post2494989)
Quote:
<table width="100%" border="0" cellpadding="4" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr> <td class="alt2" style="border: 1px inset ;"> This message is hidden because Super V is on your ignore list </td> </tr> </tbody></table>
</td> </tr> </tbody></table>
I want to castrate you and feed your balls to my first born.

WOAH, pretty strong stuff.

Kalyx triaD
04-10-2009, 11:31 AM
So I'm missing out on some compelling posts, huh?

Kane Knight
04-10-2009, 12:42 PM
Yeah, this is what I dealt with for a time (but G's cool, though - don't get me wrong). Then I evolved into the only guy who even writes shit like this. How many forums have fuckin articles? Some people dig it, and when Funky (complained/commented?) that threads like this seemed like aimless magazine articles, I figure I was on the right track. :)

If slashfic and articles on the history of combos is the right track, I want to see this train derailed like AMTRACK.

Kalyx triaD
04-10-2009, 12:48 PM
This train's heading to Vegas, baby.

Khuntry
04-10-2009, 02:43 PM
Wow tough crowd.

.44 Magdalene
04-10-2009, 08:53 PM
I'm a massive fucking fighting game nerd and even I find your opinions to be boring and specifically rung off on subjects that wouldn't be entertaining anyhow.

Also, my friend was bitching last week about how SFIV doesn't have a good combo system. Not that it doesn't, he was just being a dumbass. Just saying, two sides of the coin and whatnot.

Plus, Tekken and SC have always been combo centric. That's part of why I don't like them, don't play them, and don't act like they're somehow telling of the rest of the fighting game industry. Cheers.

Khuntry
04-10-2009, 09:29 PM
Plus, Tekken and SC have always been combo centric. .

Are you Serious ?...

.44 Magdalene
04-10-2009, 09:48 PM
Are you Serious ?...

About which? Soul Calibur's been combo heavy for a while and they had 10 stringers in original Tekken.

Khuntry
04-11-2009, 12:19 AM
About which? Soul Calibur's been combo heavy for a while and they had 10 stringers in original Tekken.

I didnt think Soul calibur (DC) was combo heavyat all.

.44 Magdalene
04-11-2009, 01:15 AM
About which? Soul Calibur's been combo heavy for a while

But I'm sure my "has always been" is going to be taken as literal as humanly possible, also; that is, it was combo heavy since the beginning of tiiime.

Series had juggles as early as II, though. Edge and Calibur's combo status are debatable, but when two through four have serious combo mechanics, you can't act like you've never seen this shit before. And again, Tekken. Don't play it up like this is some shocking phenomenon that only recently swept the gaming industry.

.44 Magdalene
04-11-2009, 01:18 AM
And also, like I said, alot of fighters don't rely on dial-a-combos. It's a certain sect of (mostly) 3D fighters. Basically, some fighters are combo heavy--some aren't. Bitching about games being combo heavy when they're not all that way is basically just bitching about the few that are like that being the way they are.

They're combo heavy games. They're made that way. On purpose. Don't want dial-a-combos? Play a different game. It's not a flaw and it's not a problem. It's personal taste. I don't like fighting games like that, so--gasp--I play other fighters instead.

.44 Magdalene
04-11-2009, 01:21 AM
And even further than that, half these YouTube dial-a-combos don't actually work in-game. All it takes is one little upset to fuck your 45 Hit Kilik masterpiece up. Online exhibitions are mostly just that--it's like, y'know, the videogame equivalent of Capoeira or Drunken Master. It's totally sweet to watch, but nobody ever wins fights with that shit.

But I think Kalyx already got a similar response when he posted this exact, identical thread, verbatim, full copypasta mode on the Shoryuken forums.

Fignuts
04-11-2009, 02:39 AM
I think tekken and SC are more combo heavy with casual players, but at tournament level, it's more about poking, and strategy.

Dunno for sure, but thats what I would guess.

Super V
04-11-2009, 08:05 AM
Tekken has no choice but to be combo-oriented though to be honest. There are very few "special" moves in it.

Kalyx triaD
04-11-2009, 10:34 AM
Soul Calibur, as a series, was NEVER as combo heavy as it is now. I can barely take you serious after reading that sort of comment. NEVER EVER. I can't even begin to argue that without a gay use of CAPS. Where did you get that from? Wow. Edge and Calibur are NOT debatable, they just did not play toward combos. They had combos, but were not combo centric.

Ya know how many tourny matches I can pull up right now at this minute that showcases in-match combos FTW? Look up 3rd Strike + Tourny and watch the Combo Counter rise as people use it in real contest. I know the vids you're talking about with people setting up combos so they can masturbate to their dialing skills but you can't actually believe I'd cite those as supporting evidence to my argument? I would all of a sudden not know the difference? We're both game geeks (pfft, any of us in here), in this subject I know what I'm talking about. You? You said Soul Calibur was combo centric. Hard to pass that road sign.

And Figgy's right to a degree. The thing is all those pokes and positioning are for landing some way to combo off some damage. You might think in that sense it was earned, and you are correct depending on the game. But Tekken should not have went down that route. Preset attack strings and limited juggles should have been the height of that system. Mind you, Tekken 6 will own almost everything, but I can see the juggle-marathons in Rank Matches already.

Khuntry could attest that I'm perfectly capable of juggling your ass to next Thursday. With Law I could launch you almost at will (not rubbing my own e-cock, just saying). What do I do? 3... 4 hit juggle tops. I'm not interested in more hits, just the fight. I want more fighting games to aspire to this model of combat. You don't even have to de-comboize Soul Calibur or Tekken either. I don't have to play that way in those games. But they certainly reward those who do, which is my point.

Kane Knight
04-11-2009, 11:20 AM
Kalyx, I'm sure you're more interested in the fight. but the rest of the community? You really think so? And do you believe that the lion's share of Guitar Hero fans just play "for fun?" Perhaps you believe the world is flat and the Government faked the Moon landing just to show their high res, staged shots of a round planet?

Kalyx triaD
04-11-2009, 11:25 AM
Number one, the Earth is flat. The curvature you see from high enough points is a light-based illusion. Secondly, we never landed on the moon. That video is a Hollywood production.

.44 Magdalene
04-11-2009, 11:29 PM
Soul Calibur, as a series, was NEVER as combo heavy as it is now. I can barely take you serious after reading that sort of comment. NEVER EVER. I can't even begin to argue that without a gay use of CAPS. Where did you get that from? Wow. Edge and Calibur are NOT debatable, they just did not play toward combos. They had combos, but were not combo centric.

See, you can tell when someone's an amateur at debate when they use tactics like this--instead of going after the meat of my argument, which was that SCII and onward were distinctly combo heavy, you attacked the part where I conceded original Calibur and Edge were the least combo intended. Can't take me seriously after you totally flipped my argument upside down and acted like I was saying something entirely different, right? No, Calibur and Edge weren't combo heavy. I agreed, you fucking moron. Calibur II brought in juggles, and it was a slippery slope from there--which is the main point of what I said, and you totally blew that off in favor of making up something easier to argue with. Most SC games--that is, two through four--are combo heavy. i.e., this isn't anything new.

Again, trying to act real passionate and emotionally invested against a paltry portion of the argument--not the main part of it, but the tiny snippet at the beginning that you completely misinterpted--is a fine way to debate badly. I guess it's hard to take what anyone says seriously when you can't fucking read though, right?

Ya know how many tourny matches I can pull up right now at this minute that showcases in-match combos FTW? Look up 3rd Strike + Tourny and watch the Combo Counter rise as people use it in real contest. I know the vids you're talking about with people setting up combos so they can masturbate to their dialing skills but you can't actually believe I'd cite those as supporting evidence to my argument? I would all of a sudden not know the difference? We're both game geeks (pfft, any of us in here), in this subject I know what I'm talking about.

You'll also see pokes, throws, and alot of heavy mind games in any good 3rd strike video. Oh, and parries. God damn, legendary parries. Why would I believe you'd cite any evidence to your argument when you didn't, though? The only games you've mentioned are Tekken--which is combo centric to an infamous degree--Soul Calibur, where combos get cut off at a certain point unless you suck at the game--and 3rd Strike, which is actually pretty throw-and-parry heavy at tournament levels, at least more to that degree than combo centric. I mean, what evidence are you actually citing at all? What fucking evidence are you even talking about? You're getting all pissed about people mocking your imaginary evidence? I mean, in retrospect, your entire argument is getting mad about SC not playing like you want it to, without any real leg to stand on, reasoning or logic. It's just a bunch of "WELL I DON'T REMEMBER IT BEING LIKE THAT."

You? You said Soul Calibur was combo centric. Hard to pass that road sign.

Oh lol but I didn't. I said specifically that two through four were combo centric, buuut... why read that part, when you can just make your own shit up to argue with? It's so much easier to imagine the other guy is just spouting jibberish instead of, y'know, making the point that he's making.

And Figgy's right to a degree. The thing is all those pokes and positioning are for landing some way to combo off some damage. You might think in that sense it was earned, and you are correct depending on the game. But Tekken should not have went down that route. Preset attack strings and limited juggles should have been the height of that system. Mind you, Tekken 6 will own almost everything, but I can see the juggle-marathons in Rank Matches already.

Tekken. Has been like that. Forever. That's how Tekken is. That's what Tekken's like. You're basically bitching that Mario Bros has so many fucking jumps in it, or that Zelda is getting too puzzle heavy.

Khuntry could attest that I'm perfectly capable of juggling your ass to next Thursday. With Law I could launch you almost at will (not rubbing my own e-cock, just saying). What do I do? 3... 4 hit juggle tops. I'm not interested in more hits, just the fight. I want more fighting games to aspire to this model of combat. You don't even have to de-comboize Soul Calibur or Tekken either. I don't have to play that way in those games. But they certainly reward those who do, which is my point.

Other fighting games do aspire to this model of combat, you're bitching about the maybe two game series that are specifically combo based being combo based. Again, you're bitching that Game A uses Game A mechanics instead of Game B mechanics. Waaah, all I want is for Mario Kart to rely less on racing. Play a different fucking game, then. Not alot of other people have the problem you do because they're playing the game they want to play, not pissing and moaning that the game they play isn't the game they want to play.

.44 Magdalene
04-11-2009, 11:38 PM
Really, I think most of my argument could have been summed up by quoting Kalyx, and then posting

But I'm sure my "has always been" is going to be taken as literal as humanly possible

Kalyx triaD
04-11-2009, 11:59 PM
How long have you been playing the Tekken series? Juggles got crazy by part 4. Don't say shit like "always" and "forever" and cover your ass by predicting somebody would jump on it. Calling it won't stop me or anyone from going the only logical route, that is to say you're wrong.

And how many games are combo heavy versus my model of combat? A fucking lot.

And where's my evidence of combos dominating top level play?

<object width="340" height="285"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tALn6qHfk6Y&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tALn6qHfk6Y&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="340" height="285"></embed></object><object width="340" height="285"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WVCzFpthpHs&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WVCzFpthpHs&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="340" height="285"></embed></object><object width="340" height="285"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2OYlRvXv6uw&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2OYlRvXv6uw&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="340" height="285"></embed></object><object width="340" height="285"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_G8OPsz6E_c&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_G8OPsz6E_c&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="340" height="285"></embed></object>
Actually not so combo centric (3rd Strike), but how would it look having nothing but vids that prove my pint, right?
<object width="340" height="285"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PUTWgAXjY0Y&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PUTWgAXjY0Y&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="340" height="285"></embed></object>

.44 Magdalene
04-12-2009, 12:19 AM
Yeah, it's certainly "covering my ass" to point out that I'm not being literal. It's certainly not your fault for ignoring an entire section of the statement in favor of the juicy parts. Clarification? The rest of the argument? Why, the only relevant part of the argument is the one you can argue with, not the parts you can't! Pretend those aren't there! It's the only logical route, am I right? Just take out a tiny segment, throw it out of context, and congratulations (http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/straw-man.html)! I mean, I even went so far as to tell you what my argument wasn't before you proceeded to plow on through the door.

Also, did you even fucking watch those videos, or do you just not understand what those guys are doing? Except for the Tekken vids--which were from the same tournament, if I'm not mistaken--the majority of those fights were won with fake outs, throws, and in the KoF case, tactical switchups. I mean, for a guy that can't take me seriously, you're awfully... I don't know... incapable of defending your stance.

Oh, wait. Your stance is just you pissing and crying about shit everybody else got used to years ago. Sorry, I forgot how hard it is to defend driving the wrong way down a one way street.

.44 Magdalene
04-12-2009, 12:29 AM
You know what, fuck it. I'm not feeding into your desperate plea for validation from your fellow neckbeards any further, and I really should have stopped pretending this was a legitimate subject for discussion instead of some half assed attempt at gamer blogging the second I realized you posted this exact topic over multiple forums. You can neither put up a solid argument without stumbling through a mine field of primitive fallacies, nor respond without throwing up a bunch of buzzwords and name drops as if being the cool kid at your particular table somehow makes your bullshit easier to choke down. See you guys after I get done doing something that's actually halfway entertaining.

.44 Magdalene
04-12-2009, 12:30 AM
For example, not Tekken.

Kalyx triaD
04-12-2009, 12:39 AM
Yeah, it's certainly "covering my ass" to point out that I'm not being literal. It's certainly not your fault for ignoring an entire section of the statement in favor of the juicy parts. Clarification? The rest of the argument? Why, the only relevant part of the argument is the one you can argue with, not the parts you can't! Pretend those aren't there! It's the only logical route, am I right? Just take out a tiny segment, throw it out of context, and congratulations (http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/straw-man.html)! I mean, I even went so far as to tell you what my argument wasn't before you proceeded to plow on through the door.

Also, did you even fucking watch those videos, or do you just not understand what those guys are doing? Except for the Tekken vids--which were from the same tournament, if I'm not mistaken--the majority of those fights were won with fake outs, throws, and in the KoF case, tactical switchups. I mean, for a guy that can't take me seriously, you're awfully... I don't know... incapable of defending your stance.

Oh, wait. Your stance is just you pissing and crying about shit everybody else got used to years ago. Sorry, I forgot how hard it is to defend driving the wrong way down a one way street.

Oh yeah, the concept was beyond me. :roll:

Let's review for your sake:

I don't dislike combo, I think they have become a stale constant in games that have glorified them beyond other offensive options.
I don't want certain games to suddenly not be combo-based. Talking about how weird Marvel Vs Capcom would be without combos in retaliation, for instance (which some jackass in the other forum did).
Let's not pretend it's something I just never came to grips with. I don't question conventions because they overcome me. Yeah fucking right. :roll:
The mind games that take place before the fact can be done in any fighting game ever made. Eating massive damage cause you caught a launcher? Fine in certain games. But there's a lot of games where you can put down your controller and get a drink before the fight resumes after a juggle.

But it looks like you're okay with the landscape (or am I being pretentious in saying so?). But the fact remains that in most fighting games, most fights are decided by combos. Mind games and set-ups are romantic and all, but dial-a-combos save the day. Forgive me for wanting more fighting games evolve past this. And no, Tekken 6 extending the life bar doesn't count.

G
04-12-2009, 12:41 AM
lol

Kalyx triaD
04-12-2009, 12:42 AM
For example, not Tekken.

Tekken > Virtua Fighter

Just in case anyone thinks otherwise.

#BROKEN Hasney
04-12-2009, 04:36 AM
Tekken > Virtua Fighter

Just in case anyone thinks otherwise.

There is no need to be so wrong that the universe implodes there, Kalyx.

Destor
04-12-2009, 04:47 AM
I :heart: Virtua Fighter

Kalyx triaD
04-12-2009, 11:23 AM
There is no need to be so wrong that the universe implodes there, Kalyx.

They're trying to get Tekken vs Virtua Fighter going. The Tekken guys got a test-engine going for the concept. If Namco gets to develop the game, it'll be my favorite VF title ever.

#BROKEN Hasney
04-12-2009, 12:45 PM
NO

AM2 develops it or no sale. Don't want tiger heads and satan-incarnates flipping around in an otherwise awesome game (VF) :(

Fignuts
04-12-2009, 12:50 PM
Just because Virtua Fighter isn't as farfetched as tekken, doesn't mean it's so realistic that it would be ruined by a crossover featuring those types of characters.

#BROKEN Hasney
04-12-2009, 01:00 PM
I didn't mean that, I just meant that I could see Namco completly bastardising the VF characters.

Khuntry
04-12-2009, 01:02 PM
Virtua fighter IS NOT realistic. Ugh ....virtua fighter

Fignuts
04-12-2009, 01:08 PM
I didn't mean that, I just meant that I could see Namco completly bastardising the VF characters.

Well I imagine it would be a joint project, so I doubt that would happen.

#BROKEN Hasney
04-12-2009, 01:15 PM
Virtua fighter IS NOT realistic. Ugh ....virtua fighter

Well yeah, of course t's not realistic. Realism is not that awesome.

#BROKEN Hasney
04-12-2009, 01:16 PM
Well I imagine it would be a joint project, so I doubt that would happen.

I dunno, Yu Suzuki doesn't really work at Sega anymore. Sega will just sign the deal and say "money please", maybe even throw in the rights for Sonic to take some bukkake. :'(

Fignuts
04-12-2009, 01:27 PM
Even if they do that, Namco knows the money is in Tekken vs Virtua Fighter. Not Ten vs Virtua Fighter characters with tekken makeovers.

They would have nothing to gain from changing the VF characters.

#BROKEN Hasney
04-12-2009, 02:09 PM
They could swerve it and make a 3D MvC2 style game, just to piss everyone off :shifty:

#BROKEN Hasney
04-12-2009, 02:10 PM
Thinking about Yu not being there, I do not have high hopes for VF6 either :(. God I wish Model 3 emulation was here, VF3TB on Dreamcast just isn't the same :'(

Kalyx triaD
04-12-2009, 05:12 PM
I think Namco's smart enough to respect VF characters but have them play better than they did. VF with limb-based attacks would be interesting, though I wouldn't mind Tekken adopting the punch-kick-block model either. Namco would be doing SEGA a favor with this one.

#BROKEN Hasney
04-12-2009, 05:15 PM
Hmmm, just found some special edition VF4 disc that has all the VF4 characters/moves but in the VF1 engine. I didn't know I owned that....

Kalyx triaD
04-12-2009, 05:19 PM
I tried so hard to like VF but it comes off as floaty and boring. I would give VF5 a try and even buy if the chance came around, if only to build a fighting game library. DOA4's more fun to me.

#BROKEN Hasney
04-12-2009, 05:36 PM
It's always been like that though, it's weird. Everyone can agree on what is a good fighting game (not always agree on whats the best) apart from VF and Tekken which just draws polar opposites.

I know what you mean though, I prfer DOA over Tekken.

Kalyx triaD
04-12-2009, 05:50 PM
VF vs Tekken needs to happen. I think the teams should mix and match to design the game. But I'd love to see Namco's crossover engine in motion. What elements stayed and what left. His comments ruined my day, I've been thinking about it for a while.

Funky Fly
04-13-2009, 07:20 PM
I tried so hard to like VF but it comes off as floaty and boring. I would give VF5 a try and even buy if the chance came around, if only to build a fighting game library. DOA4's more fun to me.

Yup.

Fignuts
04-14-2009, 12:42 PM
BCWWF