PDA

View Full Version : Cornette's opinion on WWE

7spike
04-24-2009, 07:20 AM
http://www.jimcornette.com/Commentary.html

Jim Cornette gives his opinion on the WWE 'machine' and how Vince (I guess that's who he's blaming?) has ruined the profession / industry he loves. He does make some good points about Stephanie hiring people like her etc, but some of them are head-scratchers for me.

People are going to ask "How does he know these things?" but I dunno, he'd know moreso that we do, eh?

What are your thoughts of his commentary?

The Mackem
04-24-2009, 07:36 AM
Know a lot more than us for sure, he's actually lived it.

The Mackem
04-24-2009, 07:36 AM
I enjoy reading it as much as I enjoy watching him talk about wrestling :y:

Not Booked
04-24-2009, 09:21 AM
http://www.jimcornette.com/Commentary.html

Jim Cornette gives his opinion on the WWE 'machine' and how Vince (I guess that's who he's blaming?) has ruined the profession / industry he loves. He does make some good points about Stephanie hiring people like her etc, but some of them are head-scratchers for me.

People are going to ask "How does he know these things?" but I dunno, he'd know moreso that we do, eh?

What are your thoughts of his commentary?

I thought he was spot on. Which ones were head-scratchers?

Ol Dirty Dastard
04-24-2009, 09:32 AM
Too bad he works for TNA

Outsider
04-24-2009, 09:34 AM
I enjoyed that.

Nicky Fives
04-24-2009, 09:42 AM
Cornette is THE SHIT!!!!

point final

RP
04-24-2009, 10:06 AM
GREAT READING. Thats basicallt how i feel about wrestling today.

Anybody Thrilla
04-24-2009, 10:52 AM
He's completely right, but it's sort of depressing to read as a fan.

Gerard
04-24-2009, 11:25 AM
Interesting read, id love to see a video version as he really gets torn into people and usually flips his lid.

Heres him talking about christian and wwe

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rklwxoo-TYc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rklwxoo-TYc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

jony lions
04-24-2009, 11:29 AM
cornette should take over the hole booking of tna

Xero
04-24-2009, 11:53 AM
Yeah, TNA's booking is a giant suck hole. That's for sure.

Vastardikai
04-24-2009, 12:30 PM
It's funny that TNA's best booker isn't booking for them.

BigDaddyCool
04-24-2009, 12:41 PM
Interesting read, id love to see a video version as he really gets torn into people and usually flips his lid.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rklwxoo-TYc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rklwxoo-TYc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Cornette brings up interesting points, but why again isn't he head booker of a promotion again?

Vastardikai
04-24-2009, 12:53 PM
TNA is run by morons

WWE only allows for one wrestling "genius": Vince

Steveviscious89
04-24-2009, 01:15 PM
According to his assessment, TNA has a good chance since Jarrett has a lot of control there. But I wonder if he was actually being critical of how TNA is doing things as well, even though he never dropped the name.

DAMN iNATOR
04-24-2009, 01:18 PM

<EMBED src=http://www.youtube.com/v/rklwxoo-TYc&hl=en&fs=1 width=560 height=340 type=application/x-shockwave-flash allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></EMBED>

Ya know, Cornette seems like "a decent guy" or whatever, but I hope Christian DOES eventually end up on RAW or SD!, feud with Edge over the World Heavyweight Title, and then win the title, just to make Cornette eat some humble pie (and of course, because he deserves a main event title run, which as much as I hate to say it, Cornette was right on that [about how Vince has allowed politics in WWE to cloud his once 20/20 vision {metaphorically speaking, of course}] and many other points in the interview...But I will give him his +1 for at least that one specific point about Vince allowing Trips and others influence him.

Nicky Fives
04-24-2009, 01:27 PM

BINGO!

erickman
04-24-2009, 01:54 PM

yea they would be ok if they fire ruso and let cornette take over booking.

Nark Order
04-24-2009, 02:48 PM
That was...beautiful.

IC Champion
04-24-2009, 02:52 PM
I agree with everything he said.

Heyman
04-24-2009, 03:38 PM
Wrestling is a talent-driven industry.The stars are ultimately the ones the fans pay to see, or watch on TV. But never in our sport's history have people who have no experience and background in or respect for our industry had so much control over those who do. And that's sad, for the wrestlers AND the fans.

Very accurate quote and I agree with it wholeheartedly.

Kane Knight
04-24-2009, 03:50 PM
There were people internally quietly saying the segment was awful, and Brian Gewirtz (WWE "writer") was very defensive of it, saying those people just don't understand good comedy."

ZOMG. Brian Gerwitz is NOID.

Mooияakeя™
04-24-2009, 04:05 PM
That there should be handed out with your "employee hand book" when ur at ur welcome to the company meeting" (if they have all that! lol)

Bang on the money, and as Vastardikai said it's that TNA's best booker isn't booking for them. Fucking tools.

Also lol @ KK.

Kane Knight
04-24-2009, 04:16 PM
Ya know, Cornette seems like "a decent guy" or whatever, but I hope Christian DOES eventually end up on RAW or SD!, feud with Edge over the World Heavyweight Title, and then win the title, just to make Cornette eat some humble pie (and of course, because he deserves a main event title run, which as much as I hate to say it, Cornette was right on that [about how Vince has allowed politics in WWE to cloud his once 20/20 vision {metaphorically speaking, of course}] and many other points in the interview...But I will give him his +1 for at least that one specific point about Vince allowing Trips and others influence him.

So you would like to see Christian make it to the top to make the guy you think is bang on be wrong and be forced to "eat humble pie?"

abec
04-24-2009, 04:32 PM
Wrestling isnt the same as it was 10 let alone 20 years ago. WWE is only trying to cover their assets, bringing in someone from TNA and giving them a title or putting them on one of their best shows would only validate TNA. MVP is way more deserving of being in a title shot on a top show more so than Christan, granted, it doesn't make for as good of drama or a show, but thats what the business has turned into. The only thing Cornette did in this rant is feed the wannabe smarks that think they really and truly understand anything about the 'backstage' food that they eat up, myself included.

ron the dial
04-24-2009, 04:33 PM
i'm even more in love with cornette now. very well written article.

Jeritron
04-24-2009, 05:03 PM
I love Cornette. He makes strong and agreeable points.

The only bad things I can say about Cornette and his viewpoints are that he's a bit bitter, and he himself is guilty of having an "80s rasslin" mindset when it comes to booking. That isn't to say he's not right, or not the man. Just his two major weaknesses.

Fignuts
04-24-2009, 05:21 PM

Cornette never said he couldn't be a champ in wwe, just not a megastar like The Rock or Austin.

Fignuts
04-24-2009, 05:21 PM
Also, am I the only one who thinks cornette is just stating the obvious, here?

DAMN iNATOR
04-24-2009, 05:28 PM
So you would like to see Christian make it to the top to make the guy you think is bang on be wrong and be forced to "eat humble pie?"

That wasn't my only reason if you read my whole post, but thanks for taking that out of context.:y:

I also said he deserved a main event title run, for the record.

ron the dial
04-24-2009, 05:48 PM
Also, am I the only one who thinks cornette is just stating the obvious, here?
he is, he just articulates it better than other people i've heard say the same things a million times over.

Kalyx triaD
04-24-2009, 06:13 PM
Yeah, I've said similar things in less articulated threads and posts. I'd gladly sum it up as "WWE sucks now" and be good with it.

Johnny Vegas
04-24-2009, 06:43 PM
God damn, Cornette hit it on the head.

That shit just depressed me, not going towards Cornette himself, but how he brought ALOT to the light. Its like the WWE is turning into a conglomerate and knows they can overprice everyone because the nearest competition is "an hour away", so to speak. Its crazy that the WWE COULD actually be very exciting right now with the cast of characters they have. CM Punk is a prime example. I KNOW CM could be the top guy in the business RIGHT NOW, not because i am a fan of his, but he displays a new generation. He doesn't LOOK like Vince's type of wrestler, but Vince almost had no choice but to hire him because CM had such an underground fanbase with his ring work and mic skills.

Sometimes i wonder...should we be as negative towards HHH as we are? I'm not saying that he hasn't had his share of political usage, but Cornette has a point. If i were the son-in-law and married to the boss's daughter and she was running the company like she is now, would i say how i REALLY felt? I mean even though HHH has been a key factor in the boom era of the WWF/E, he can just as easily be forgotten (*cough* Macho Man *cough*). I mean just imagine what the WWE has right now:

First of all, i like ECW like alot of people here, but c'mon, i'd rather Vince send it out like a "hall of fame" type exit i.e. One Night Stand than to have him run it like he is.

John Morrison
Kofi Kingston
CM Punk
MVP
Shelton Benjamin (who should be one of the biggest faces in the company IMO by now)
THE Brian Kendrick
Evan Bourne
The Miz
HHH
John Cena
HBK
Undertaker
Randy Orton
T. Dibiase
Cody Rhodes
Dolph Ziggler
Batista
Ken Kennedy (whenever he comes back)
Matt Hardy
Jeff Hardy
Hell, even Great Khali
Big Show
Colon Bros.
R-Truth
EDGE
Jack Swagger
Mark Henry
Finlay & Hornswaggle
The Women's Division
Regal (if he's still there)
CHRISTIAN
Rey Mysterio
Chris Jericho

If i'm missing anyone, sorry. But come the fuck on....with a roster like that, with JUST RAW & SD! has WWE's only weekly shows and PPVs, you CANNOT tell me that this list couldn't take the WWE almost where it was 9 years ago.

Fuck, if booked right, these are DREAM fueds:

-Morrison(T)/HBK(F)
-CM Punk(H)/Edge(T/F)
-CM Punk(F)/Cena(F)..you know he can be no other way right now lol
-HHH(H)/CM Punk(F)
-CM Punk(H)/Orton(F)
-Orton(H)/Edge(T/F)
-Kendrick(T)/Rey Mysterio(F) - IC strap
-Morrison(F)/HHH(H)
-Evan Bourne & Rey Mysterio as unified tag champs (F)
-TBK, Ezikiel, Miz, & Dolph Ziggler in a group (H)
-Ziggler actually getting a decent push for a IC run once he gets his promo work on point
-UT part time and challenging anyone to stop his streak. One more title run couldn't hurt
-Christian(F)/Edge(H)
-Orton(T)/Cena(H) (WrestleMania main event right there..could be HUGE if built right)
-Jeff Hardy (if he stays around and does a limited role or something..plz stay Jeff lol), Morrison, TBK (as a Pillman-type face), Ezikiel, MAYBE Shelton, as a group (F)<<<<this could="" be="" huge="">
-MVP(F)/HHH(F/H)<<<great ppv="" match="" there="">
-MVP(F)/Edge(H)
-MVP(F)/HBK(F)<<like respect="" angle.="" mvp="" says="" he="" s="" never="" really="" got="" to="" wrestle="" good="" match="" with="" someone="" like="" hbk.="" hbk="" accepts.="" they="" have="" a="" 2="" 3="" falls="" classic.="">
-MVP(F)/CM Punk(H)
-HBK(F)/CM Punk(H) - GREAT WHC/WWE Championship match for a PPV.
-Matt Hardy/CM Punk as a tag team (H)
-Kofi Kingston(F)/HBK(F)
-Kingston(F)/Edge(H)
-Evan Bourne/Kingston as a tag team(F)
-Carlito/Bourne as tag team. Name: Bourne Cool...lol just dreaming i guess (H)
-Jericho(H)/Morrison(F)
-Jericho/CM Punk as MASSIVE heel unit (H)
-Morrison, CM Punk, Jeff Hardy/Kofi Kingston as a faction (F)

I mean i could go on all day. That shit literally took me like 7 mins to come up with...im pretty sure that people will have opinions/add-ons to this but i think this would make some good tv...like i said, WITHOUT ECW, just RAW and SD!.

lol can't tell me some of that isn't mouth-watering

oh yea, for anyone who isn't familiar with (F),(H),(T) lingo, c'mon, use your imagination
</like></great></this>

Mr. Nerfect
04-24-2009, 08:04 PM
ZOMG. Brian Gerwitz is NOID.

You got me.

screech
04-24-2009, 08:53 PM
That was a great read. I've never been a huge fan of Cornette's on-air character(s), but the man is a genius.

Theo Dious
04-24-2009, 09:39 PM
...especially over the last 10 years, the WWE has spearheaded major changes which have resulted in wrestling being possibly the only product of any kind where the fans, or the consumers, know more about the product than most of the people in charge of producing it.

Best. Line. Evarz.

Mr. Nerfect
04-25-2009, 04:04 AM
It sends chills down my spine to think of what this man could accomplish if he was given the book in TNA over Russo. TNA has got so much talent right now that it's unbelieveable, there is just no one with real respect for the wrestlers to allow them to use their talents the right way.

Kurt Angle and Booker T have both been quite vocal about putting over younger talent -- what are they doing? Headlining PPVs. Kurt Angle in the X-Division is something that could really fucking help TNA out, and is something Angle has said he would be willing to do. Booker T has created his Legends Title, which is perfect for his heel character to use to put over young guys (and he truthfully sort of has).

With those two out of the main event, guys that have a lot going for them, and could potentially draw money, like Samoa Joe and Matt Morgan (there, I said it) can be given shots in the main event. And if that doesn't work, then they can easily be replaced by proven success stories in TNA, like AJ Styles & Christopher Daniels.

Vastardikai
04-25-2009, 12:29 PM
The problem is, Dixie Carter knows less about the business than even Stephanie McMahon, so she relies on people who she thinks knows. Unfortunately, she's relying on Jeff "Never drew a dime" Jarrett, Dutch "kept my mouth shut after Bruiser Brody got Murdered" Mantell, and Vince "let's make David Arquette WCW Champion." Russo.

#1-norm-fan
04-25-2009, 01:23 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Id4rZhN_LEg&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Id4rZhN_LEg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Innovator
04-25-2009, 02:29 PM
Jericho and others egging Cornette on, awesome

Theo Dious
04-25-2009, 06:30 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Id4rZhN_LEg&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Id4rZhN_LEg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I've never been able to figure out why anyone was filming this...

Jeritron
04-25-2009, 06:43 PM
Are you kidding me? Why wouldn't they?

It was Jericho and Lance Storm by the way. Jericho talks about it in his book for a bit. They had a home video camera to record promos and practice matches on, and they used it to document their time in the indies as well. They got some really funny videos, or so I hear.

There was one in particular of a redneck family of marks who sent them a tape, that was supposed to be hilarious and downright strange.

Blue Demon
04-25-2009, 07:17 PM
:y:

Theo Dious
04-26-2009, 12:37 PM
Are you kidding me? Why wouldn't they?

I guess now that I think of it, if you had a camera on you and suddenly you realize "ooh Cornette's getting pissed" you'd probably flip it on.