PDA

View Full Version : Zombie Apocalypse MMO

El Fangel
09-16-2010, 01:45 PM
I was thinking about this the other night, do you guys think it would be exciting/cool to have an MMO with a sprawling urban enviroment, perhaps NYC where its taken over by zombies?

I am thinking it plays sort of like Fallout 3, where you can free-aim and everything but can also have the system aim for you and such and that you can pick up and use almost anything.

Perhaps mix in a sort of Dead Rising gameplay where you can use most everything as a weapon.

You spend alot of your time locked up in a fortressed place, but as you play your character gets hungry, tired, thirsty, then what happens when you run out of food and water. You just venture out and thats where I think the fun would begin.

In scavenging, foraging and trying to keep your ass alive as long as possible.

It would obviously be the focus to team up with people to achieve mutual goals and keeping your characters alive.

I also think it would be cool that if you die, you are dead, thats it game over. you become one of the thousands of zombies inhabiting the game world. You can create a new character but start over from scratch.

Thoughts people?

Swiss Ultimate
09-16-2010, 01:56 PM
I'd prefer a claustrophobic environment, like a bunch of safe-houses with tunnels connecting them. Missions would be based on three game-types:
scavenging
rescue
elimination

BigDaddyCool
09-16-2010, 01:58 PM
No, lets do it in KC, New York is played out. But it sounds fun.

Disturbed316
09-16-2010, 02:06 PM
I Am Alive will have some of these aspects but minus the zombies.

Hanso Amore
09-16-2010, 02:10 PM
I have wanted a game like this for years.

Keep a persistent MMO world going could be odd...random hardcore gamers would scavange everything possible before you get a chance. I think it would be hard to fit a zombie apocalypse into the current MMO structure.

Fallen Earth is like this post nuclear war though, check it out. You find random shit to put together weapons and barter. I played for like 3 hours and it wasnt for me, I didnt like shooting metal balls out of a paintball gun for my main weapon.

El Fangel
09-16-2010, 02:23 PM
I'd prefer a claustrophobic environment, like a bunch of safe-houses with tunnels connecting them. Missions would be based on three game-types:
scavenging
rescue
elimination

I would like that as well, but I like the option of go anywhere and do anything type deal.

Well the game would have to be massive, just picture it set in the GTA4 world.

I have wanted a game like this for years.

Keep a persistent MMO world going could be odd...random hardcore gamers would scavange everything possible before you get a chance. I think it would be hard to fit a zombie apocalypse into the current MMO structure.

Fallen Earth is like this post nuclear war though, check it out. You find random shit to put together weapons and barter. I played for like 3 hours and it wasnt for me, I didnt like shooting metal balls out of a paintball gun for my main weapon.

LOL at the paintball thing, but I may give it a try.

This is with a city that large and of course different servers, you could easily support thousands of "survivors" and remember, you die and you are gone, your shit would be there for some other lucky bastard to scavenge.

Hanso Amore
09-16-2010, 02:31 PM
Thats kind of cool, and kind if fucked

6 months of work gone when you answer the phone :)

I am totally with you though FA, I think the game could be so amazin'

BigDaddyCool
09-16-2010, 02:34 PM
Well the game would have to be massive, just picture it set in the GTA4 world.

Kansas City is a massive city when you look at square miles and diverse in geography which would leaned itself to the game you are describing.

KC is 7,952 sq. mi (metro area)
New York is 6,720 sq mi (metro area)

Hanso Amore
09-16-2010, 02:49 PM
Fallen Earth is centered around the hoover damn or some shit like that, so I would be fine with somewhere else other than NY. I would prefer a Sub-urban setting around a medium city than the NYC spawling metroloplis. Like I would rather try to find shit in a neighborhood of houses, moving door to door with the looming zombie threat, rather than go floor to floor in a huge building.

Hanso Amore
09-16-2010, 02:50 PM
Thought Floor after floor of cubicle would be easier to design on a large scale.

El Fangel
09-16-2010, 03:19 PM
Thats kind of cool, and kind if fucked

6 months of work gone when you answer the phone :)

I am totally with you though FA, I think the game could be so amazin'

Yeah, was thinking that.

Not sure how to go about it though.

I mean what penalty should there be for being eaten alive by a horde of zombies.

El Fangel
09-16-2010, 03:20 PM
Kansas City is a massive city when you look at square miles and diverse in geography which would leaned itself to the game you are describing.

KC is 7,952 sq. mi (metro area)
New York is 6,720 sq mi (metro area)

Hmm, that would also be kinda cool, just with how big and well known NYC is it would be kinda cool.

Kapoutman
09-16-2010, 06:23 PM
Yeah, was thinking that.

Not sure how to go about it though.

I mean what penalty should there be for being eaten alive by a horde of zombies.

Your shit stays untouchable for a day or so. You can then create a new character, go there and recuperate your things. If you fail to do so within 24 hours, it becomes available to everybody.

El Fangel
09-16-2010, 06:31 PM
That would work, though you have to fight your way back to it.

Kapoutman
09-17-2010, 10:37 AM
Then, why not create a "reserve list". You can mark up to 4 items in your characters inventory that will automatically come back to your new character when the old one dies. The rest is up for looting however. That way, special items you may acquire will not be lost, but regular items like shotguns or health packs or money would be up for grab.

Another idea would be to place lockers around the city, in houses or wherever the characters pile up. You place your items of value there, and when you create a new character after the old one die, you get a visit from a NPC who tells you something along the lines of "I knew _____ very well. He wanted you to have this." and hands you the key to the locker. You then have to fight your way to it, but at least you know it's waiting for you and nobody is going to take your stuff. The penalty for dying in this case would be to lose your money, ammos, health packs and other stuff like that. Kinda like in Majora's Mask, there's some stuff that couldn't follow you when you went back in time.

Jura
09-17-2010, 10:59 AM
I've been creating a zombie MMO game in my head the past year.

Swiss Ultimate
09-17-2010, 11:10 AM
I would like that as well, but I like the option of go anywhere and do anything type deal.

I'm not saying you there shouldn't be sprawling environments filled with zombies but, I would think that there need to be safe areas where you can buy weapons, armor, gasoline and etc.

Also thinking that "defend your house" would be a good game-type in a GTA style game. You'd shoot zombies, board windows, move furniture and all sorts of other shit while the horde came down on your ass.

So 4 mission types would be

scavenge "find food, gas, etc"
rescue "save a survivor"
eliminate/disinfect "kill all zombies in a specific zone/clear out a town"
defend "survive an assault by the horde"

Kane Knight
09-17-2010, 12:35 PM

Nobody wants to live in KC. Even the zombies would probably off themselves. Howabout we set it in a Texas city? Nobody would miss the dead, they're already brainless, and everyone has at least ten firearms.

The Mackem
09-20-2010, 03:11 AM
Yeah, there could be sub games as well centred on post apocalyptic gambling. Zombie racing and stuff.

Swiss Ultimate
09-20-2010, 09:48 AM
That'd be pretty neat.