PDA

View Full Version : Would it be a dick move for Undertaker to keep his streak in tact when he retires?

The Naitch
12-24-2010, 09:54 PM
There's a possibility that the streak will be kept in tact when he retires. I know alot of his fans think so. If so, I think it would be a dick move on Takers' behalf.

Or does he deserve to have the perfect storybook finish to end his career?

SOCCER LEGS
12-24-2010, 10:15 PM
no

Lara Emily
12-24-2010, 10:33 PM
Like I said Wade Barrett either needs to break it or let UT retire undefeated

The Naitch
12-24-2010, 10:39 PM
This triple threat thing I keep hearing (where Taker doesn't get pinned, but still loses the match) is the worst idea ever. Total cop-out. Go all out of get out. All or nothing

Shadrick
12-24-2010, 10:39 PM
No, especially considering the fact that he's offered the streak to Orton and Kane before and they both declined it out of respect.

The Naitch
12-24-2010, 10:40 PM
really? Then Orton and Kane are idiots

plus I think the whole streak thing in general is overrated. I don't see a big deal in losing a streak in a fake sport

Shadrick
12-24-2010, 10:48 PM

plus I think the whole streak thing in general is overrated. I don't see a big deal in losing a streak in a fake sport

They didnt need the streak and at the time, they didnt feel right taking it. Kane, because he said he wanted to give it to a young guy if it was taken, and Orton said no out of respect and the fact it was unnecessary to take it.

As far as streak in a scripted atmosphere, to be in the position to go over every time, even when you option not to, to help the other guy, is amazing. That's like saying "I dont see the big deal in winning a belt in a fake sport." The fact that the promotion has that much faith in you to hold that responsibility says a lot.

SOCCER LEGS
12-24-2010, 10:48 PM
no

SOCCER LEGS
12-24-2010, 10:50 PM

according to the shithead that is matt striker, it's not just a streak in a fake sport, it's the greatest streak in sports history.

SOCCER LEGS
12-24-2010, 10:50 PM

no

DLVH84
12-24-2010, 11:25 PM
I think he should leave undefeated.

VSG
12-24-2010, 11:32 PM
No, especially considering the fact that he's offered the streak to Orton and Kane before and they both declined it out of respect.

What? Mind sharing the source?

Mr. Pierre
12-24-2010, 11:42 PM
Taker deserves to retire with the streak. The people love it, and it's a cool stat even in a scripted show.

WWE doesn't consistently book their new talent well enough to give someone an opportunity to live up to the "Streak-Breaker". Ever since Lesnar, the company seems to be cautious as to who should be put over their mega superstars.

I just think it's way too much of an unnecessary risk to have someone be given Taker's legacy. There are plenty of other ways to build and create stars by good writing and good feuds.

The writing should be good enough for a feud with Taker at Mania, that the guy is gonna be made to look like a million bucks even when he loses anyway.

glanville6
12-24-2010, 11:49 PM
He's earned the right to retire undefeated at Wrestlemania.

If you get to beat Taker and it isn't at Wrestlemania, its still a pretty big win. Not as big as Mania, obviously, but if you have a win against Taker...its still good for your resume. If you are Barrett, or Sheamus, lose at Mania and beat him at whatever the April PPV is.

Swiss Ultimate
12-24-2010, 11:56 PM

It's pretty popular though. People on the internet are just obsessed with it. I'm pretty sure this type of thread comes up once or twice every week.

Personally, I think it should be ended and by someone who will invest as much of their time and strength into it as Taker. However, I think that the gimmick shouldn't be re-did until after Vince McMahon is dead.

SlickyTrickyDamon
12-25-2010, 12:01 AM
Well it can't be John Cena thank goodness he lost that Triple threat match with Randy Orton and Triple H.

FourFifty
12-25-2010, 12:26 AM

If anyone in the industry should do it right now, it's Wade. If two people should, it should be Wade, or The Miz. It needs to be someone who'll make the most of getting that rub, and someone who'll stay with the company. Lord knows WWE wouldn't want someone to go to TNA with the stigma that he ended The Streak.

Swiss Ultimate
12-25-2010, 12:31 AM
I love Miz. I definitely don't think it should go to him. He doesn't need it at all for one and I don't buy it without A-Ri, Vince, Shane, Triple H and possibly HBK to make it happen.

Sheamus, Ezekiel Jackson, etc. depending on their level of commitment to the WWE could get it and then live on as company bad-ass.

Biggz
12-25-2010, 12:46 AM
He wouldn't be a "dick" if he retired and still held the streak. Matter of fact he deserves to keep his streak. He's been with the WWE for nearly 20 years and has been loyal all of them. He never complains about titles or having to help the younger guys get over. He does his job and is happy just to be there. And like others have said, he offered up the streak but nobody would take it. At this point there is no need to end the streak and I believe it should stay that way. Undertaker is the real Mr. Wrestlemania and will always be so.

Aguakate
12-25-2010, 12:52 AM

Yeah right.

If he didn't let HBK beat him, and he's a legend, he wouldn't let Orton or Kane do so.

Swiss Ultimate
12-25-2010, 12:52 AM
He obviously doesn't care if he keeps it or not. If he wants to give it away, I say let him.

Swiss Ultimate
12-25-2010, 12:53 AM
Yeah right.

If he didn't let HBK beat him, and he's a legend, he wouldn't let Orton or Kane do so.

Err, you do know HBK wanted to retire...right?

The Naitch
12-25-2010, 12:53 AM
It's similar to when they made Brock the youngest WWE Champion in history. Then Brock screwed them and fucked off, so they decided to break Brock's record. Orton then became the youngest WH Champion in history.

But they can't "undo" Taker's streak. Say if Barrett breaks the streak, but then fucks off to do better things, they can't take the streak back. They can't press the reset button.

I think whoever breaks the streak will fail to live up to the hype and expectations, and fail to run with the torch.

With Shawn Michaels, they tried their luck in having an established veteran be a threat to Taker's streak. This made things believable. It made you think that Michaels actually had a chance to end the streak. That he was a legitimate threat.

So I wonder which is the best option? Have the streak broken by:

-established veterans (ie. Orton, Cena, Edge, Michaels, Kane)
-relatively newcomers (ie. Barrett, Sheamus, Miz, Punk, Swagger)
-the latest green rookie (ie. someone we haven't seen yet. Like how Brock was when he first burst onto the scene)

Aguakate
12-25-2010, 12:56 AM

In '09?

FourFifty
12-25-2010, 01:17 AM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BvTNyKIGXiI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BvTNyKIGXiI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Fox
12-25-2010, 01:54 AM
If anyone deserves to keep a "legacy streak" like this it's Undertaker.

Dude has been absolutely loyal to the company for almost 2 decades now. Ever hear rumors about Taker considering moving to WCW back during the Monday Night Wars era? No? It's because it never happened. Taker has put over everyone from The Rock, Stone Cold, Triple H, Kurt Angle, Randy Orton, Batista, Kane, Jeff Hardy and Brock Lesnar, and has done it all without bitching or trying to "hold onto his spot." He's earned legendary status and has never let it go to his head like Hulk Hogan or Ric Flair.

To end the streak now, when he's so close to 20-0 and the end of his career, would be ridiculous.

Aguakate
12-25-2010, 02:07 AM
...Dudes, I just think there's NO WAY WWE can have Undertaker lose at WrestleMania after so much exposure has been given to "The Streak". It would do some damage to Undertaker's legacy, because it's not the difference between 0 loses, and 1 loss, is BIG.

Emperor Smeat
12-25-2010, 02:41 AM
The biggest problem is whoever breaks the streak would get one of the biggest pushes of a lifetime in the WWE. It would be unwise to waste it on someone the writing team might neglect after a while like they do to the majority of good wrestlers or if the person himself isn't ready for the huge pressure that will come from breaking the streak.

If they want to break the streak but can't find anyone, then just ask the Undertaker who he feels should earn the honor and it would show the wrestler that Taker has his personal blessing to become the future of the WWE.

Aguakate
12-25-2010, 02:46 AM
The biggest problem is whoever breaks the streak would get one of the biggest pushes of a lifetime in the WWE. It would be unwise to waste it on someone the writing team might neglect after a while like they do to the majority of good wrestlers or if the person himself isn't ready for the huge pressure that will come from breaking the streak.

If they want to break the streak but can't find anyone, then just ask the Undertaker who he feels should earn the honor and it would show the wrestler that Taker has his personal blessing to become the future of the WWE.

"Ending The Streak" would be better suited to a wrestler who already is a veteran and has a trayectory and would add that to his resume, to take him to another level of greatness, rather than a young guy...because if a young guy does it, ok, it's got momentary greatness, but with time, it'll turn into something like when Jericho beat Austin and The Rock, a great moment, but after a while, people would joke that "after all that time, Jericho still talks about when he beat Rock and Austin on the same night". It'll be the same if a young guy with a whole career ahead of him ends The Streak...it'll give him some momentary greatness, but it won't last much, and within time, people will be like "He still talks about when he beat Undertaker at WrestleMania".

El Fangel
12-25-2010, 02:54 AM
Said it before, will say it again. The only person who would make sense and who I would accept is Kane.

That ship sailed years ago.

And if they didnt use it to blow more smoke up Cenas ass, then I don't see them ever doing it.

Shadrick
12-25-2010, 03:50 AM
Yeah right.

The circumstances in each situation are obviously different...I would hope you would recognize that...

Lara Emily
12-25-2010, 03:58 AM
no

He's the only one that would a) benefit from it strongly and b) Could look credible doing it.

Aguakate
12-25-2010, 03:59 AM
The circumstances in each situation are obviously different...I would hope you would recognize that...

I explained my point of view in a later post.

ooTin
12-25-2010, 04:24 AM
This triple threat thing I keep hearing (where Taker doesn't get pinned, but still loses the match) is the worst idea ever. Total cop-out. Go all out of get out. All or nothing

Sixx
12-25-2010, 04:34 AM
I remember it being mentioned that The Undertaker already wanted for the streak to end to put someone over. So no, it wouldn't be a dick move on his behalf.

Sixx
12-25-2010, 04:35 AM
Oh, shit. Shadrick beat me to it.

Should've read the whole thread before posting I guess.

bigslimjj
12-25-2010, 09:43 AM
I say he keeps it intact,and comes back every year that he can and adds another one on.I don't care if he wrestles any other match during the year. There's only been 2 years when I wanted him to lose,and that was against HBK.Other then that I'd be happy to see him show up as a once a year attraction and chalk up another one.

Loose Cannon
12-25-2010, 10:02 AM
like I said before, it's a fake streak. Is it really an honor to retire with something like this? In a setting where writers control the outcome of a match, I don't see it as some sacred thing that can't be touched.

This is professional wrestling where people always talk about big time moments. The streak needs to be broken before he retires. It will be one of the greatest moments in wrestling history when he goes down at Wrestlemania.

So yes, it needs to be broken before he goes out

erickman
12-25-2010, 10:10 AM
like I said before, it's a fake streak. Is it really an honor to retire with something like this? In a setting where writers control the outcome of a match, I don't see it as some sacred thing that can't be touched.

This is professional wrestling where people always talk about big time moments. The streak needs to be broken before he retires. It will be one of the greatest moments in wrestling history when he goes down at Wrestlemania.

yea i agree and there is about 5 young wresters that can do it, just which one will taker give the rub too. swager, drew, zeke shamus, or wade are the top contenders, or a wildard like husky.

Swish
12-25-2010, 10:13 AM
In all fairness I think he should retire with the streak in tact. It would be pointless to lose it to someone who's new and upcoming. If he was to lose it I'd rather he lost it to his brother Kane!!.

Kalyx triaD
12-25-2010, 10:16 AM
People trying to diminish "The Streak" on the count that it's a written show need to fuck off. And I'm certain one or two are being hypocrites in some fashion in regard to written characters and what happens to them.

And yes, he should retire with the streak intact. Too much risk dropping it some kid who'd just as likely leave to do other things, get injured seriously, get future endeavor'd, whatever.

ooTin
12-25-2010, 09:31 PM
Undertaker should retire with his streak intact because no one will ever match it. so whats the point in ruining it?

James Steele
12-26-2010, 12:25 AM

People trying to diminish "The Streak" on the count that it's a written show need to fuck off. And I'm certain one or two are being hypocrites in some fashion in regard to written characters and what happens to them.

And yes, he should retire with the streak intact. Too much risk dropping it some kid who'd just as likely leave to do other things, get injured seriously, get future endeavor'd, whatever.

Undertaker should retire with his streak intact because no one will ever match it. so whats the point in ruining it?

It certainly wouldn't be a dick move if The Streak stays in tact, but it goes against everything in the wrestling business to NOT end the streak and make someone a star for life.

The entire point of wrestling is to build up a superstar to make money and use him to build somebody up to make more money and so on. Why the fuck would you not use the last sacred thing in pro wrestling to put over someone HUGE and make them a megastar for the rest of their career.

It shouldn't be broken by a rookie. I think it should be a guy who has constantly been on the "cusp of greatness". Somebody who is well-established but hasn't been cemented as one of the elite level guys. You build him up on the Road to WrestleMania as doubting himself because he hasn't been able to get it done in the past, but he keeps his head up and keeps working on improving and such. Come WrestleMania, they have a fucking WAR with Undertaker and edges out the Undertaker to win by pinfall.

I think this would be the perfect situation for Daniel Bryan at WrestleMania 28 or 29.

Jeritron
12-26-2010, 01:59 AM
People fail to realize that the chances of a career being ruined by snapping of the streak are more likely than one being made.

SlickyTrickyDamon
12-26-2010, 02:13 AM
People fail to realize that the chances of a career being ruined by snapping of the streak are more likely than one being made.

:y:

Look at what happened to Shawn Michaels in the months after retiring Ric Flair. One of the most popular wrestlers of all time was getting boo'ed for what he was made to do. It made for some good television though and a pretty good feud with Batista that turned into one of the greatest feuds in recent WWE history with Chris Jericho.

Though Shawn ended up on the short end of the feud with Jericho and was lost in a crap gimmick with JBL until getting free and fighting the Undertaker. If it was anybody else (other than MAYBE Triple H) I don't think they would have survived ending Flair's career.

But that was Shawn Michaels and he is Mr. Wrestlemania. The fans were able to forgive Shawn in time and that Flair gimmick was created only a couple of months before. This Undertaker streak has been going strong since 1991 and I don't know anybody who would be strong enough to survive becoming the most hated piece of shit in WWE history for beating The Undertaker at Wrestlemania. I don't even think Shawn Michaels could have handled that pressure again and multiplied by a million times. If you think X-Pac heat is strong baby you ain't seen nothing yet! Ending Taker streak heat would burn anybody alive. They'd become a social-piranha in the lockeroom and with the fans and sooner or later it would be future endeavored.

People talk about how beating The Undertaker at Wrestlemania would make their career and they don't understand at all. You don't spit in the wind, you don't tug on Superman's cape and you don't fight the Undertaker at Wrestmania. Win or lose: you will rest in peace!

chrisat928
12-26-2010, 02:26 AM
He should make it to 20-0, and after that 20th win, he's down doing his pose, the lights go out, the bell tolls, lights come back on, and he's gone. All that's in the ring, right in the middle, is his hat.

Undertaker isn't heard from again until Mark Calloway is inducted into the Hall of Fame. And that shouldn't happen until 3 or 4 years later.

Nightwing
12-26-2010, 03:30 AM
He should retire with the streak. People come and go all the time. You dont know who's gonna have a long life in wrestling anymore. Why chance it on someone who isnt in it for the long term.

Ending the the streak isnt a guaranteed rub anways. It could easily backfire.

Loose Cannon
12-26-2010, 08:54 AM

Hi, that's me doing that. :wave:

And how am I am hypocrite? thanks

Loose Cannon
12-26-2010, 08:56 AM
:y:

Look at what happened to Shawn Michaels in the months after retiring Ric Flair. One of the most popular wrestlers of all time was getting boo'ed for what he was made to do. It made for some good television though and a pretty good feud with Batista that turned into one of the greatest feuds in recent WWE history with Chris Jericho.

So I don't understand, are you trying to prove HBK beating Flair worked or didn't work for future storylines? Cause you're negating your own argument

Loose Cannon
12-26-2010, 09:00 AM
He should retire with the streak. People come and go all the time. You dont know who's gonna have a long life in wrestling anymore. Why chance it on someone who isnt in it for the long term.

Ending the the streak isnt a guaranteed rub anways. It could easily backfire.

please read James Steele's post. It should not be a rookie or a new guy.

Yes, in this day and age, people do come and go all the time, so you don't chance it there. But I'm all for an established "young guy" to do it. If it were me, it would be Cena just so I can see 500 people here bitch and complain

Lara Emily
12-26-2010, 09:20 AM
I know I'm eating a dead Horse but it needs to be Wade Barrett if anyone, he's the only one over enough to benefit and he's the only one with size and looks that make him a legit threat to Undertaker

I mean Daniel Bryan, great wrestler, awesome to watch but can you really buy him going toe to toe with the Undertaker, samething with The Miz really.

Fox
12-26-2010, 10:30 AM

I think you make a really good point with this. My question is how should it be done? Should it be a huge, epic face versus face confrontation like John Cena vs. Undertaker? Or should Taker go on like a 6 month mega heel streak as the WWE Champion in 2011 and then get beat by the freshest underdog babyface in the company at the moment?

St. Jimmy
12-26-2010, 10:46 AM
Meanwhile, at WM 27:

<object width="960" height="745"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/u2OR6Kjo5m4?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;color1=0xe1600f&amp;color2=0xfebd01"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/u2OR6Kjo5m4?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;color1=0xe1600f&amp;color2=0xfebd01" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="960" height="745"></embed></object>

HULK HOGAN, HULKAMANIA HAS ENDED... THE STREAK

Nightwing
12-26-2010, 11:38 AM
please read James Steele's post. It should not be a rookie or a new guy.

Yes, in this day and age, people do come and go all the time, so you don't chance it there. But I'm all for an established "young guy" to do it. If it were me, it would be Cena just so I can see 500 people here bitch and complain

I got that. It would need to be someone obviously they know is gonna stick around and is going to be a company guy. Like a Miz or Orton, and Randy already had his shot [too bad it wasnt in his current form]. But like you said just throw it to Cena for laughs. Its not like Ripken or DiMaggios streak where it actually means something.

Loose Cannon
12-26-2010, 12:21 PM
I think you make a really good point with this. My question is how should it be done? Should it be a huge, epic face versus face confrontation like John Cena vs. Undertaker? Or should Taker go on like a 6 month mega heel streak as the WWE Champion in 2011 and then get beat by the freshest underdog babyface in the company at the moment?

yea I would seriously have Cena do it. He's hasn't feuded with Taker since '03 I believe. He's been pushed to the moon and back for the past 6 years. He's a total company guy etc....

How do you do it? You can go a few ways like you said. I personally would like it to be the catalyst for Cena's heel turn. But you could do a full babyface/respect kind of thing (which I'm starting to get tired of) or you could turn Taker heel well before Mania. But , if you did that, you would have to go all Randy Savage at Mania 7 and have him turn back to babyface after the match.

Fignuts
12-26-2010, 02:20 PM
It's not worth it, to end the streak just to "make somebody a star".

Anyway, if anyone is going to believably do it, it would be someone who already is, or is garaunteed to be a star, so it's a moot point.

CSL
12-26-2010, 02:40 PM
I know I'm eating a dead Horse

Yummy.

Mr. Nerfect
12-27-2010, 06:37 AM
I am in the same boat as Loose Cannon, and I even agree on his picks to do it.

The Undertaker's streak wasn't even really mentioned until about WrestleMania X-7 when Jim Ross threw it in as trivia. Back then, The Undertaker used to go over guys because the storylines sort of dictated it. Sometimes in recent years he has even been thrown random opponents for the sake of getting him on the card and giving him another random victory. I mean, did anyone really call Big Show & Nathan Jones or Mark Henry going over Taker?

The streak has been built well and The Undertaker has poured some great matches into it (vs. HBK, vs. HBK again, vs. Edge and even vs. Batista), but what is the point of all that build? At the end of the day, Mark Callaway, the performer, is going to be remembered for making a ridiculous gimmick work, being one of the best big men of all time, surviving through many eras without ever becoming irrelevant, amassing several World Championships and being a loyal WWE guy. He also has the opportunity to create a mega-star. When he loses at WrestleMania, people are going to go nuts. The sky will be falling on the WWE Universe, and Mark Callaway, the performer, gains some humanity for his character.

When the day comes, The Undertaker is going to get up and give a Hall of Fame acceptance speech. He may or may not be in character, but losing at WrestleMania is not going to do that. Hell, losing at WrestleMania doesn't even mean the guy has to retire. 20-1 or whatever he ends up being when he decides to drop it is still better than anyone else in history.

This year, Wade Barrett seems like a likely opponent for Taker. I can't see him ending the streak. I like Barrett, he's got all-round skills, but I think the money is in him being over ambitious and failing to take it (although putting up a fight and having us believe he has it a few times). That alone will solidify Barrett.

WrestleMania XXVIII will be The Undertaker vs. John Cena -- it just makes sense. It's a shame Cena lost at WrestleMania XXIV to Randy Orton in that Triple Threat with Triple H, because it could have been streak vs. streak. But the match will still be huge due to how separate the WWE have kept Cena and Taker, and how they almost represent different eras (and different brands). Cena is such a company man, and so dependable that I can see him doing it. It'd also make Cena a huge name. In kayfabe, Cena could literally make the claim that he is the greatest of all-time. If the fans give him backlash, hell, run with it and finally turn Cena heel. He can finally have that notch that immortalises him beyond the point of caring about the fans anymore.

It combines two things that I really feel could usher in a new "era" to professional wrestling: 1) The Undertaker's streak established a new mega-star, and 2) John Cena turning heel (which will be bigger the longer the WWE waits). If you gave up watching today, and in April next year you heard that The Undertaker lost to Cena, who is now a bad guy -- admit it, you'd start watching out of mere curiosity.

There are a few other guys I could see ending the streak. Here me out:

Jack Swagger
Depending on what the guy does this year at WrestleMania. Truthfully, the man is an all-round talent. He can talk, he can wrestle, he's got size and he's been the World Champion before. The WWE wouldn't give that to him if they didn't have some faith in him. As Chris Jericho said about the guy, we've not seen a fraction of what this guy can do. Give him a few years, which is when I see the streak ending (WrestleMania XXVIX at the earliest), and Swagger has the potential to be 3-0 at WrestleMania. A budding streak of his own wagered against The Phenom's. In a perfect world, Swagger might have even wrestled and defeated Kurt Angle at WrestleMania XXVIII. Okay, now I am getting carried away.

Ultimately, if The Undertaker feels that Swagger is the guy to carry the company forward, it could be him. I truly believe that the chief reason Swagger has not been given more of a consistent push this year has been because the WWE loves to "cool off" on guys to test their loyalty after the whole Brock Lesnar thing.

The Miz
Depending on what Taker thinks of The Miz, I could see him doing it. The man is gold on the mic, and getting better in the ring all the time. He's got his character nailed, and it's a very real character that draws heat, but at the same time has its redeeming qualities. When The Miz says he is going to do something -- he does it. He's not one to fail, and will work so hard to achieve his dreams. Alternatively, it might not even be a one-on-one match. If they really want to set The Miz up as a mega-heel of the next generation, imagine if Taker successfully defends the WWE Championship against John Cena at WrestleMania in 2012 (I'm thinking we might get a random World Heavyweight Title/WWE Title brand swap next year, since the WWE seems to do it every three years). Then Money in the Bank Winner, The Miz, comes out and cashes in his WWE Title shot. Some might get pissy at The Undertaker losing his streak that way, but it certainly protects The Undertaker, and launches The Miz to new levels of being a dick.

CM Punk
See The Miz. Taker and Punk have worked together in the past, and Punk technically holds the only submission victory over Taker. He must be doing something right. Another guy who can both talk and wrestle, and seems to be really dedicated to the WWE (didn't he give the WWE rights to the CM Punk name so he can use it with them?). He's also been given the trust to creatively influence his own direction in storylines and such.

Just three guys, and keep in mind that I don't think we'll be seeing the streak end this year.

Lara Emily
12-27-2010, 07:30 AM
If you ends the streak it needs to be totally clean, middle of the ring pin, anything else and it a)cheapens it and b) people will forget about it faster and write it off easier.

That narrows down the field considerably. Since you need someone who benefits from it and is already over and b is convincing enough to beat UT clean

Evil Vito
12-27-2010, 10:22 AM
<font color=goldenrod>Taker's streak is at the point where there are only a few people I could believably see ending it cleanly. Triple H again, Orton again, or Cena.

I do think Taker losing to Cena is a very real possibility. He doesn't need it, but in kayfabe it would solidify him as the greatest of all time.

Personally I'd be fine with him going 20-0 and retiring, for the same reasons I stated that there's no way I'd be able to suspend my disbelief long enough to think anybody other than the previously mentioned three could win.

Also, it'd HAVE to be a face who wins it. Because in WWE, heels aren't really ever allowed to win cleanly at this point. If say, Barrett were to win, I guarantee it would be because of Nexus - etc.</font>

Troelar
12-30-2010, 07:36 PM
Eeh, I will just throw in my comment here a few days "late".

How about some kind of best out of three pins match? Not necessarily to to end the streak, but perhaps as some unofficial retirement match - or just to shake things up.

A somewhat young star sees the Taker as OLD! "Taker, you're 19 and 0 at Wrestlemania. You know what that means to me? - that you're ancient! All it means is that you've had decades to deteriorate. You might be able to defeat me one time, but let's really put you to the test - best out of three, old man!"

And instead of having it be a regular 3 pins in succession match, spread it out over the entire evening. It could both turn out as a watered down event, but if done right it could really blow up! Taker wins the first pin. An hour later the opponent wins a pin - "WOOOOT someone actually pinned the Undertaker at WM. This could actually happen!"

Then depending on which way it's gonna go, have the last pin be the deciding factor. In any event - I think it _might_ be a good match.

It might be bad though, not having the match being a simple onefall match.

tjmidnight420
12-30-2010, 08:51 PM
That's not really such a good idea bro. Kinda kills off the whole streak thing regardless.

Attitude99
01-02-2011, 07:15 AM
Ya Really Think Vince Is Gonna Let That Happen, To His Most Loyal Guy. Never Just Forget That Thought, Wade or Punk or whoever. It Will Not Happen, Taker deservers that without a doubt. He Helped The Company like nobody else, he helped other great wrestlers. He Only Got 4 WWE Championship Runs. I Always wanted for him like 20-25 title reigns. But He Didn't wanted that either.

Brigstocke
01-02-2011, 05:29 PM
I think Taker will at some point in the future find someone he personally likes and see's potential in, 'take under his wing' from a storyline point of view and have them break the streak as a face after Taker turns heel on them.

I'd also fully expect that person to have inserted a 25 year no compete clause in their contract before doing so.

Ruien
01-02-2011, 09:04 PM
Keeping the steak means 2 things. 1) T-shirts 2) DvD

MoFo
01-03-2011, 07:37 AM
Taker has been toned down from this 'unstoppable force' the last few yrs and works a more realistic style now, selling beatings and such. WWE are putting it out there pretty well, the commentary team have mentioned numerous times during the Kane feud that 'he isnt the same guy anymore' and his injuries may be catching up with him. Could you really see Taker having anything more than a squash match v an Edge or Swagger 10 yrs ago? Yet its made to look competitive now.

So with saying all that, it would make sense to put someone over. I just wonder what kind of send off he'd get (assuming he would retire after it).

Troelar
01-03-2011, 11:25 AM
I'd also fully expect that person to have inserted a 25 year no compete clause in their contract before doing so.

Then all you gotta do is get future endeavoured and hello 25 years of paid ranting about WWE on the internet! :lol: