PDA

View Full Version : The John Cena problem

Ol Dirty Dastard
01-27-2011, 03:50 PM
So before we get into the Cena bashing, which will eventually go down, let's get one thing out of the way... John Cena is actually a good worker. That has been proven on multiple occassions. Sure, some of the stuff he does isn't technically sound (aka all the stuff) but seriously, he can go hold for hold with ANY worker in the company, latest evidence of that is CM Punk.

Now this doesn't mean I look forward to Cena matches because they can be pretty yawn worthy. They follow a formula an it's a lot of smoke and mirrors and part of it is lazy booking, part of it is lazy Cena. But he consistantly gets the crowd into his matches more than anyone other than probably the undertaker right now, and when need be, he works pretty hard.

His problem is two things, at least with our demographic... it's his lame ass attire and his lame ass jokes. Seriously I wouldn't imagine two things so minor could ruin such a talented guy for me. But seriously, I don't know if it's him TRYING to be funny and make the 10 year ols love him, but noone can sap the starch out of an intense promo like John Cena. Seriously, does he want to be the next Rock?

When a heel is out there like the Miz, laying the goods down in a promo, and Cena comes out there talking about bad breath and bowel movements... has it EVER WORKED? Really? Has it? I just don't understand the point of it. He's always so damned smarmy and unrelatable to any normal human being. Also what kills me about it, is he is one of the most competent guys on the mic in the whole company, he has the ability to captivate an audience like very few do, and he chooses to squander it on these weak jokes that don't really make sense.

Seriously if he had the most mild edge in his promos and avoided the shitty jokes that he seems to feel there is this undying need to tell... would you like him? I honestly think I would....

......Apart from his attire. He is a grown ass man in his 30s, well I think so at least, yet he dresses like I did when I was 13. Or MMA forum mod Kris P Lettus (for those who don't know Kris P, it's not a good look)...so I just don't understand. One can still maintain the urban flavour he looks to keep, without dressing like he's barely hit puberty. I just don't get it. He can appeal to kids without dressing like a kid and telling fart jokes.

So tpww, Gorgeous Dale Newstead asks you, if Cena did away with these 2annoying nuiances in his character... would you like him more? Because seriously, I wouldn't mind "Cena Wins" AT ALL if he wasn't such a smarmy jackass with terrible fashion sense. 2 very simple things to change are they not?

CSL
01-27-2011, 03:53 PM
To answer shortly since I'm about to go an pick up greasy takeaway food, I don't have a problem with his attire and the outline of his promos are scripted. I'd be very surprised if he wasn't told to use the childish words as well (he practically apologized for it a few weeks ago with a live mic)

Ol Dirty Dastard
01-27-2011, 03:56 PM
His promos are scripted yes but let's get serious, he has enough power to be like "Okay, I'm not telling these horrible jokes anymore."

And his attire is shit, let's get serious.

Xero
01-27-2011, 04:01 PM
It'd help.

Honestly, I don't have a problem with his attire. It fits with the rest of the era. He's colorful and it sells merch.

I definitely agree with the promos. He can be silly and whatever once in a while and I'd be fine with it, but there are very few promos where he won't have SOMETHING stupid in it, even if it gets good near the end. Cena can be a great promo. I've seen them in 2010 even. It's just that he always reverts back to "lol poopy" within the feud, if not the same fucking promo. If he kept the silly stuff to the start of feuds or throw away feuds, and did his serious promos for the important feuds and as they progress, it'd be fine.

I do have a problem with the Superman push. It's not so much that he wins all the time, but it's that I, personally, can not buy anyone beating Cena in the end outside of The Undertaker or Triple H. Yeah, he needs to lose more, but they also have to make guys seem on-level with Cena and get over on him in angles and TV shows once in a while. The Nexus angle was terrible because he was disobeying them left and right. There was never a moment that I thought Nexus truly had Cena within their power.

Fox
01-27-2011, 04:01 PM
Can't wait for Cena to finally turn heel and start wearing beautiful suits and ties to the ring, looking all jacked up in his Armani like Governor Schwarzennegger or something.

Ol Dirty Dastard
01-27-2011, 04:11 PM
Yeah but it was his smarminess that ruined the nexus angle. He was so fucking cutesy and lame throughout, like bro you're supposed to be at war not only with Nexus but with yourself, and you're still finding time to tell fart jokes. He'd be serious for a minute then he'd act carefree the next, it just makes no sense. There's no rhyme or reason to his character. And him always disobeying Barrett was just plain bad booking, it made the whole Cena in Nexus storyline superfluous. I don't blame Cena for that.

Case and point Monday night. What he did, did not make sense, and wasn't wat a baby face should do. I understan the double dq fucking them both over, but really kayfabe wise he'd have to be an idiot to think that would work. It would have made sense for him to let Punk and Barrett beat the ever living hell out of one another and at the end piss them both off and get them to actually do something warranting a double dq (Like Steve Austin would do in a similar situation). But no, he had to be smarmy and funny and make all the kids laugh, even though the kids probably didn't really care or notice.

Rammsteinmad
01-27-2011, 04:12 PM
I cringe every time he says 'CM Sucks'. It just sounds awful.

I know he can't say this on a PG program, but the most obvious insult would be 'CM Spunk' or something. But 'CM Sucks' just doesn't work.

Ol Dirty Dastard
01-27-2011, 04:14 PM
Or just don't think of a cute nick name, and just tell him how much you hate him.

Lock Jaw
01-27-2011, 04:28 PM
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lflfx506KX1qbagse.gif

vs.

http://www.mobilesmania.com/forum/uploads/monthly_02_2010/post-436549-126540833362.gif

Ruien
01-27-2011, 04:29 PM
Rather enjoy most of the work Cena does. A few years ago this would have been a different story, but he has grown on me. My expectations have gone down a smug, making my wrestling experience that much more enjoyable.

Wolfpack423
01-27-2011, 05:21 PM
Cena is a favorite of mine and I think he has cut some great promos over the years. Yeah he has the occassional cheesy line in his promos but I don't care it doesn't bother me. What does bother me is everyone thinking Miz is so great on the mic. He really isn't that good. the only Miz promo I ever liked was the one where he started backstage and eventually made his way out, otherwise nothing else shines. One of my all time favorite promos is a Cena promo. It's the one he cut the night after New Year's Revolution 2006.

Ol Dirty Dastard
01-27-2011, 05:39 PM
Het cuts constant cheesey lines. They pretty much litter his promos. It's to the point that even super surrius Cena is extremely contrived. How are we supposed to take someone seriously when he just made a joke about someone being gay not 30 seconds before. For the last time, he is not the Rock.

Triple Naitch
01-27-2011, 05:41 PM
He needs to change his name back. :(

CSL
01-27-2011, 05:43 PM
His promos are scripted yes but let's get serious, he has enough power to be like "Okay, I'm not telling these horrible jokes anymore."

And his attire is shit, let's get serious.

No, you're assuming he has that power because he's the top guy. He could speak up if he wanted to and I doubt he enjoys the lines but there's no guarantee they'd listen and by all accounts he's a nice guy and he tows the company line, you can't really blame him for it.

And his attire is fine. It's a bit shit in a 'conventional wrestling gear' sense but he's been wearing it for that long and it's that much a part of him now that he shouldn't change it except maybe for a heel turn/big character change.

DaveBrawl
01-27-2011, 05:46 PM
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lflfx506KX1qbagse.gif

vs.

http://www.mobilesmania.com/forum/uploads/monthly_02_2010/post-436549-126540833362.gif

I actually like the Cena one better.

CSL
01-27-2011, 05:49 PM
Nothing wrong with the Cena one.

Lock Jaw
01-27-2011, 05:52 PM
Just highlights the goofy face who can't stay serious vs. the face that will chop your door in with an ax and toss you out a window.

Emperor Smeat
01-27-2011, 05:52 PM
His best work on the mic was his last feud with Batista since he acted more serious and dropped the silly insults and style of his promos. Also helped that Batista played the exact opposite of what Cena is all about with his smugness and over-cocky attitude.

Then again, that was also some of Batista's best work during that feud leading to Wrestlemania.

Ol Dirty Dastard
01-27-2011, 05:54 PM
No, you're assuming he has that power because he's the top guy. He could speak up if he wanted to and I doubt he enjoys the lines but there's no guarantee they'd listen and by all accounts he's a nice guy and he tows the company line, you can't really blame him for it.

And his attire is fine. It's a bit shit in a 'conventional wrestling gear' sense but he's been wearing it for that long and it's that much a part of him now that he shouldn't change it except maybe for a heel turn/big character change.

He can keep the urban flavour he's going for. Honestly if he wore full jeans I feel like I'd like it better, he'd look a little more serious.

CSL
01-27-2011, 05:55 PM
Just highlights the goofy face who can't stay serious vs. the face that will chop your door in with an ax and toss you out a window.

Why do all of the top faces have to be serious all of the time, especially a character that is geared and molded towards kids? Die Hard would have been pretty boring had John McClain went after Hans Gruber with a straight face. Cena does serious perfectly fine when he needs/is instructed to.

Flash Funk
01-27-2011, 06:00 PM
I agree that sometimes being funny is not the problem, but lately he has not been funny..at all..

Xero
01-27-2011, 06:01 PM
It's what I've been saying for years. I have endless amounts of respect for Cena, he's exactly where he should be on the ladder and is the best company/PR guy they've ever had period. I just hate his character and booking. But I am not who they are booking for so it doesn't matter, as long as he's over with his demographic, which he is.

Lock Jaw
01-27-2011, 06:31 PM
Why do all of the top faces have to be serious all of the time, especially a character that is geared and molded towards kids? Die Hard would have been pretty boring had John McClain went after Hans Gruber with a straight face. Cena does serious perfectly fine when he needs/is instructed to.

Difference between "not being serious all the time" and "being goofy".

But yeah, I don't think Cena needs to change for what the WWE is going for. But this thread is about the problems that people who aren't kids have with Cena.

Cena actually plays his role pretty amazingly. When the whole Nexus thing was going on, I was craving for Cena to turn heel. Then I heard the fans chant "Never Give Up" and I was literally blown away by it. I realized that not only was everything about him working for their target audience, but that you pretty much had to leave him as a face.

Lara Emily
01-27-2011, 06:32 PM
Let's remember half the crowd had turned against him before Nexus, Nexus is the best thing that happened to Cena.

Lock Jaw
01-27-2011, 06:34 PM
Superman needs a Lex Luthor. :shifty:

JimmyMess
01-27-2011, 06:37 PM
I'm on Cena's side because it is definitely the powers-that-be keeping him from unleashing great promo's. He's a well spoken guy, knows what to say and how to say it. They are literally keeping him from doing it. I believe a couple of weeks ago he even said on the air after a lame joke "its PG I'm trying" or something along those lines.

This is one of the reasons that The Rock never came to be a guest GM/host. He basically said in an interview that the programming doesn't work for his character these days, the PG attitude. Which tells me he sat down with Vince and co. and they basically wanted a watered down Rocky to host... to which the Rock mosty likely rebuffed, and the two went their separate ways.

This is not John Cena's fault, this is the system of the WWE and how they want things to go. I like John Cena. Some day they may begin to get more risky, its just not happening now.

Ol Dirty Dastard
Yeah he's being goofy, not funny. "Yippie KAYEY MOTHERFUCKER" was funny and badass, telling miz he smells like a bowel movement is goofy.

Lara Emily
John Cena the man seems awesome, John Cena the character blows

Ol Dirty Dastard
01-27-2011, 06:38 PM
You can be PG and badass. I don't need to hear Cena use curse words, he just doesn't need to act like a retard.

CSL
01-27-2011, 06:51 PM
Yeah he's being goofy, not funny. "Yippie KAYEY MOTHERFUCKER" was funny and badass, telling miz he smells like a bowel movement is goofy.

Yeah but I'd guess to a lot of kids watching, him saying that to The Miz is as great as 'Yippie kay-yay motherfucker' is to Die Hard fans. I'm not saying he's cool or badass or anything, merely playing to his target audience. The only time I see this changing is with any kind of heel turn down the line.

Ol Dirty Dastard
01-27-2011, 07:26 PM
I think someone can be cool to kids and cool to our age group as well. They don't need to alienate us. Kids eat shit up, they like whatever you feed them. They don't need to make it attitude era, they can just not make it epically lame.

RGWhat316
01-27-2011, 08:52 PM
His lines, attire, and his non-selling are what I hate the most. Nearly every match he is in, a body part gets worked on for 3/4 of the match. But in that last 1/4 he uses that same body part and acts like nothing ever happened to it. Annoys the hell out of me.

Lock Jaw
01-27-2011, 08:56 PM
Yeah, but that part pretty much every top face ever has done it.

JimmyMess
01-27-2011, 09:09 PM
His lines, attire, and his non-selling are what I hate the most. Nearly every match he is in, a body part gets worked on for 3/4 of the match. But in that last 1/4 he uses that same body part and acts like nothing ever happened to it. Annoys the hell out of me.

Yeah it doesn't really bother me about the whole "lack of selling" when he gets worked over. If I'm dissecting it I take it as, he starts to get that adrenaline flowing and works past the injury... which is believable.

Because once he has done his move, gotten the win, he'll sell the injury or sore spot once again.

Kind of like the new generation's "Hulking Up"

Ol Dirty Dastard
01-27-2011, 09:27 PM
Yeah the ending of his matches aren't that big of a deal... it'd just be a bit better if they were able to make it seem like he was going to lose sometimes lol. The match with Punk you actually got the feeling he could have lost, which was really refreshing.

When he works a match that isn't cookie cutter, he is unbelievable. He's mobile for a guy of his bulkiness, and he's not afraid to bump and sell for guys. The problem is for instance in his iron man match again orton, from what I saw of it, is that it was just so cookie cutter and "high budget" if you will that it took away from the feel of it. Whereas his match with Punk on RAW 2 weeks ago was different to how his matches are usually laid out. I think the problem is, since a lot of his matches are booked so similarly, it does not feel special when one watches it.

This is why the Barret match worked when he lost, and why the Batista feud worked... because he was vulnerable and shit was serious.

Jordan
01-27-2011, 10:01 PM
Look, Cena has grown so much over the years yet from the beginning he was "the one" according to Vince. He actually has more in ring ability than he normally shows, however as the top dog, he has to be protected at all times. And for me that is perfectly acceptable, every single WWE mega star has limited their move set once they hit stardom to protect themselves. You didn't see Rocky hitting the high cross body after 97, and you didn't see Steve Austin bump fest's after he hit it big (on this one injuries sure had a lot to do with it obviously), the same can even be said for Hogan.

Cena puts on great matches when he is needed too, and is the master of making the sport "entertaining". He has had TONS of great matches and feuds that will go down in history in a positive light.

Cena was a commercial item forced down our throats, however that was so long ago I have since lost interest and passion to dislike him, actually he has grown on me since his latest feud with Randy Orton, and I believe he deserves his spot more than anybody else.

As for his promo's, well maybe they don't appeal to everyone but he is the best baby face on the mic in WWE right now. His marine intensity is great and legitimize's him, and his sense of humor is limited due to PG obviously, and now he's making that a part of his schtick. I actually laugh at him on a regular basis, and I don't go out of my way to pick him apart. You should too unless you love bitching, because he is here to stay and there is a ton of good to find in him.

Sometimes it's more important to just watch the fucking show and enjoy it. Sure the defense for that is "but if they insult my intelligence then it takes me out and makes me a critic" well, sorry but this is a PG show and it ain't Shakespeare. Cena is WWE, so either you kinda have to love him, or your gonna be spending way to much time hating what you do every Monday, Friday, and one Sunday out of the month.

I say to anyone who avidly hates Cena, grow up and give it a chance because we are all tired of these Cena topics, and there is MUCH more you could be critical of in WWE other than John Cena.

Jordan
01-27-2011, 10:03 PM
And by the way, about Super Cena, fuckin take a look at him and then look at the rest of the roster, in a real fight who do you think could kick his ass? Nobody

Ol Dirty Dastard
01-27-2011, 10:10 PM
Look, Cena has grown so much over the years yet from the beginning he was "the one" according to Vince. He actually has more in ring ability than he normally shows, however as the top dog, he has to be protected at all times. And for me that is perfectly acceptable, every single WWE mega star has limited their move set once they hit stardom to protect themselves. You didn't see Rocky hitting the high cross body after 97, and you didn't see Steve Austin bump fest's after he hit it big (on this one injuries sure had a lot to do with it obviously), the same can even be said for Hogan.

Cena puts on great matches when he is needed too, and is the master of making the sport "entertaining". He has had TONS of great matches and feuds that will go down in history in a positive light.

Cena was a commercial item forced down our throats, however that was so long ago I have since lost interest and passion to dislike him, actually he has grown on me since his latest feud with Randy Orton, and I believe he deserves his spot more than anybody else.

As for his promo's, well maybe they don't appeal to everyone but he is the best baby face on the mic in WWE right now. His marine intensity is great and legitimize's him, and his sense of humor is limited due to PG obviously, and now he's making that a part of his schtick. I actually laugh at him on a regular basis, and I don't go out of my way to pick him apart. You should too unless you love bitching, because he is here to stay and there is a ton of good to find in him.

Sometimes it's more important to just watch the fucking show and enjoy it. Sure the defense for that is "but if they insult my intelligence then it takes me out and makes me a critic" well, sorry but this is a PG show and it ain't Shakespeare. Cena is WWE, so either you kinda have to love him, or your gonna be spending way to much time hating what you do every Monday, Friday, and one Sunday out of the month.

I say to anyone who avidly hates Cena, grow up and give it a chance because we are all tired of these Cena topics, and there is MUCH more you could be critical of in WWE other than John Cena.

Well you clearly didn't read what I had to say, as I complimented him throughout my post. My complaints are all valid. Also I don't watch very much new age WWE because of how epically cheesy it is. I don't expect shakespeare, but I don't need the cookie cutter bullshit either.

Also John Cena is the flag barer of the company, #1 dog, so he HAS to be critiqued as he is technically the most important guy. He has also shown how good he is on many occasions, which is why it bothers me when I see him producing crap.

Calm down child

KIRA
01-27-2011, 10:11 PM
Can't wait for Cena to finally turn heel and start wearing beautiful suits and ties to the ring, looking all jacked up in his Armani like Governor Schwarzennegger or something.

Hell will get central air conditioning first.

Lara Emily
01-27-2011, 10:17 PM
I love when people critique something there's always one person who comes in and says well I like him and you would too if ya just stopped analyzing. Fuck that shit, that's how things get stale.

It's thinking like that that also created America Love it or Leave It.

loopydate
01-27-2011, 10:54 PM
And by the way, about Super Cena, fuckin take a look at him and then look at the rest of the roster, in a real fight who do you think could kick his ass? Nobody

Just off the top of my head - Mark Henry, Vladimir Kozlov, Big Show, Zeke Jackson, Mason Ryan, Skip Sheffield...

Lara Emily
01-27-2011, 11:51 PM
WADE BARRETT

TheAdamEvansFan
01-28-2011, 12:00 AM
In a real fight, Mark Henry would have a heart attack.

Jordan
01-28-2011, 12:15 AM
Well you clearly didn't read what I had to say, as I complimented him throughout my post. My complaints are all valid. Also I don't watch very much new age WWE because of how epically cheesy it is. I don't expect shakespeare, but I don't need the cookie cutter bullshit either.

Also John Cena is the flag barer of the company, #1 dog, so he HAS to be critiqued as he is technically the most important guy. He has also shown how good he is on many occasions, which is why it bothers me when I see him producing crap.

Calm down child

Sorry dude I wasn't attacking you, though I can see how you thought that. I did read your post, and I understand the two big qualities you can't stand about Cena, but I wanted to get across that if you just take John Cena for what he is and stop hoping or waiting for him to change that you might find that he is a likable character who is his own person.

Lara Emily
01-28-2011, 12:20 AM
Or you know he won't. Everything Dale said is absolutely valid.

Jordan
01-28-2011, 12:23 AM
I guess so Lara, I fight on it because I am really enjoying WWE right now, in basically every way and I wish other people would as well. But you know everyone has an opinion and it's the right one for them so I'll just let it go. I'm enjoying WWE the most I have since I was a kid at the moment, and I felt if I could say how I feel maybe others might think the same way.

Jeritron
01-28-2011, 12:33 AM
Cena matches are consistently entertaining and deliver, and he doesn't win at every PPV anymore.
That's just something people say.
I'm pretty much sick of hearing those complaints. He's by no means my favorite performer on the show, but he doesn't bother me at all. I find most of what he's been doing over the past year or so to be damn good.

His joking is forced sometimes but not enough to really upset me. Honestly, some of The Rock's later promos have started to seem that way to me as well, when watching them again.
The attire and stuff doesn't bother me at all.

Ol Dirty Dastard
01-28-2011, 12:53 AM
People don't give him enough credit for his athleticism. He's quick for a guy his size. His biggest problem is he just looks awkward in some of the moves he hits. He's definitely not the excellence of execution.

His matches always have the ability to captivate an audience, that is what I like about him. And he works hard out there for the most part.

I dunno I just can't get past how fucking corny he is hahaha, it honestly kills me. I think my problem is I love guys who seem more natural in their roll. Cena's promos don't seem natural, sometimes it doesn't seem like he believes what the hell he's doing, he's just doing it because he was asked to. In one sense I commend him for being a company man, in another sense it leads to some horrible promos.

Jeritron
01-28-2011, 12:56 AM
I agree about some of the promos, but the storylines and matches allow me to live with it.
This fall I was ready to pull my hair out with Orton as champion. His matches and feuds just bore me more and more by the month. Especially when he's "on top."

I couldn't wait to get more Cena/Barrett, or now Cena/Punk.

Lara Emily
01-28-2011, 12:57 AM
Cena matches are consistently entertaining and deliver, and he doesn't win at every PPV anymore.
That's just something people say.
I'm pretty much sick of hearing those complaints. He's by no means my favorite performer on the show, but he doesn't bother me at all. I find most of what he's been doing over the past year or so to be damn good.

His joking is forced sometimes but not enough to really upset me. Honestly, some of The Rock's later promos have started to seem that way to me as well, when watching them again.
The attire and stuff doesn't bother me at all.

He last lost in October and basically came out looking like a million bucks the very next night

He's won or been made to looks strong in every PPV since. Fuck he even got fired and came back the next night looking awesome, he also looked awesome getting fired.

Let's review 2010

Lost at RR, last eliminated

Won title at EC lost to Bats

Won title at WM

Beat Bats in rematches in April and May

Lost in June and July cause of Nexus

Won in August as the sole survivor of the nexus match

Lost in Sept due to interference but totally got booked to be even stronger and more annoying the next fucking night

Won in Oct and got to screw over Barrett making him look kinda stupid

Got the last laugh in Nov getting fired but screwing Barrett over and looking even stronger and more annoying the next night.

Buried all of Nexus for a bit in Dec fighting all of them off and then literally burying Barrett.

So in 12 PPVs he lost cleanly once and that was in a Royal Rumble Match. So let's not pretend the SuperCena thing is dead, it isn't, even when Cena loses he wins.

Jeritron
01-28-2011, 01:00 AM
He's the top guy. He's being the booked the same way Austin, Rock, and Triple H were in their time. What I'm saying is that the storylines are more flexible now and it's not (to me) anywhere near as bad as 2006-7.
He's definitely the strongest on the show, and the centerpiece of the roster, but I don't feel like it's as unbearable as it may have been at one time. At all.

Ol Dirty Dastard
01-28-2011, 01:08 AM
His storylines are much better, he just needs to quit the cutesy crap. It completely takes the steam out of the heels he's working with. I mean really, chances are they're losing anyways, the least he can do is pretend like he may be worried.

Jeritron
01-28-2011, 01:11 AM
Maybe I've just learned to deal, or changed my tune as a fan a bit. I've been pretty thrilled with a lot of the writing and direction lately, and Cena has been the least of any concerns.
Perhaps I'm easily pleased right now, but I am content with him going over Punk or whoever, as long as the match and storyline deliver. For the moment.

It also helps that there are a lot of other players on the show that have me very interested.

Ol Dirty Dastard
01-28-2011, 01:17 AM
The CM Punk feud will be great no matter what happens. Both guys are too good for it not to be, and it seems like Cena has a lot of respect for Punk, and gave him A LOT of respect in the ring when they worked together.

Lara Emily
01-28-2011, 01:19 AM
His storylines are much better, he just needs to quit the cutesy crap. It completely takes the steam out of the heels he's working with. I mean really, chances are they're losing anyways, the least he can do is pretend like he may be worried.

This, his attitude killed the post fired portion of his fued with Nexus, I mean he almost single handedly killed Nexus. Mostly through his goofy miw work, and stupid booking.

Jeritron
01-28-2011, 01:21 AM
The aftermath of the Nexus war/firing definitely was blown off too easily/quickly. I don't disagree at all.
I think bringing Punk into the mix was key to getting past that mistake without it feeling too abrupt.

Kane Knight
01-28-2011, 05:52 AM

LOL. It's still real to you, dammit, isn't it?

Tom Guycott
01-28-2011, 08:43 AM
Superman needs a Lex Luthor. :shifty:

The problem is that this Superman needs a credible Doomsday.

A Steamboat to his Flair, if you will.

He needs a credible threat to make him have to reel in some of the sappy silliness. Those 10 year olds aren't going to stay 10 year olds forever, and they'll start thinking he's cheesy, stale, and stupid. He could be the same basic character, just *tweak it a little. Give him a bit of serious edge. Grant him an opponent he has to fear and respect, and knows to beat this guy, steady streams of poopie and gay jokes aren't going to get the job done. That was the appealing edge to the heel Cena and rebel Cena. He needs another moment like his feud with Lesnar, where he first used the <s>FU</s> AA... and on Rikishi at that! Before "freakishly strong" became a part of his character, it was used to show how seriously he took Brock (and, of course, the FU was a slant on the F5).

That one pale "fella" could have worked, but then they dropped him into the chicken-shit heel role instead of continuing the ruthless monster angle. Miz could have been that, but they derailed the feud. Nexus could have served that purpose, but... yeah, we see what happened there. They went from beating him down en masse to becoming Cena's comedy relief.

As for the attire, it works for him. The problem here is he doesn't really switch anything up. He gets another color scheme for his merch, so his hat/bands/shirt look different for a year. Same shorts and shoes. He just needs to *tweak. He's "shorts guy" who doesn't wear long pants even in places with snow on the ground. Maybe, wear black jeans or something with the design stitching. Switch up his shoes a bit. Something a tad different. He doesn't have to go back to wrestling shorts, or switch to tights or start wearing a singlet.

*Thank you, Mick Foley!

Ol Dirty Dastard
01-28-2011, 10:53 AM
Yeah he doesn't need wrestling tights, he'd look better in stitched jeans. Jean shorts just look retarded.

Gertner
01-28-2011, 02:33 PM
He's massively over and brings in a lot of money. Can't argue with his success.

hmm, post 16,000. Yippee.

Ol Dirty Dastard
01-28-2011, 04:30 PM
He's massively over and brings in a lot of money. Can't argue with his success.

hmm, post 16,000. Yippee.

He's also been booed out of the building on many occasions, so there you go.

Ol Dirty Dastard
01-28-2011, 04:34 PM
It's also much easier to keep on top when they book you to make everyone else look like a retard.

But wait I forgot you don't listen to reason and you troll the wrestling forum. Would rather you weren't even in this thread because you annoy me.

Gertner
01-28-2011, 04:46 PM
OMGZ WORKRATE!! NOM NOM NOM!

Gertner
01-28-2011, 04:57 PM
How'd your boy Daniel Bryan do on NXT? Not soooooo good. Christ, they had to get R Truth to get the crowd to cheer for him, but hey he's over right? Please.

Kane Knight
01-29-2011, 12:19 AM
He's also been booed out of the building on many occasions, so there you go.

And WWE cried all the way to the bank.

Ol Dirty Dastard
01-29-2011, 02:26 AM
How'd your boy Daniel Bryan do on NXT? Not soooooo good. Christ, they had to get R Truth to get the crowd to cheer for him, but hey he's over right? Please.

lol "My boy", hahaha good lord.

NoJabbaNoBogRoll
01-29-2011, 04:42 AM
So before we get into the Cena bashing, which will eventually go down, let's get one thing out of the way... John Cena is actually a good worker. That has been proven on multiple occassions. Sure, some of the stuff he does isn't technically sound (aka all the stuff) but seriously, he can go hold for hold with ANY worker in the company, latest evidence of that is CM Punk.

Now this doesn't mean I look forward to Cena matches because they can be pretty yawn worthy. They follow a formula an it's a lot of smoke and mirrors and part of it is lazy booking, part of it is lazy Cena. But he consistantly gets the crowd into his matches more than anyone other than probably the undertaker right now, and when need be, he works pretty hard.

His problem is two things, at least with our demographic... it's his lame ass attire and his lame ass jokes. Seriously I wouldn't imagine two things so minor could ruin such a talented guy for me. But seriously, I don't know if it's him TRYING to be funny and make the 10 year ols love him, but noone can sap the starch out of an intense promo like John Cena. Seriously, does he want to be the next Rock?

When a heel is out there like the Miz, laying the goods down in a promo, and Cena comes out there talking about bad breath and bowel movements... has it EVER WORKED? Really? Has it? I just don't understand the point of it. He's always so damned smarmy and unrelatable to any normal human being. Also what kills me about it, is he is one of the most competent guys on the mic in the whole company, he has the ability to captivate an audience like very few do, and he chooses to squander it on these weak jokes that don't really make sense.

Seriously if he had the most mild edge in his promos and avoided the shitty jokes that he seems to feel there is this undying need to tell... would you like him? I honestly think I would....

......Apart from his attire. He is a grown ass man in his 30s, well I think so at least, yet he dresses like I did when I was 13. Or MMA forum mod Kris P Lettus (for those who don't know Kris P, it's not a good look)...so I just don't understand. One can still maintain the urban flavour he looks to keep, without dressing like he's barely hit puberty. I just don't get it. He can appeal to kids without dressing like a kid and telling fart jokes.

So tpww, Gorgeous Dale Newstead asks you, if Cena did away with these 2annoying nuiances in his character... would you like him more? Because seriously, I wouldn't mind "Cena Wins" AT ALL if he wasn't such a smarmy jackass with terrible fashion sense. 2 very simple things to change are they not?
I don't think I've ever seen so many self-contradictions in one post.

You are retarded.

Afterlife
01-29-2011, 04:45 AM
Hey. Lazy Cena is a hard worker. You stfu, Jabba.

NoJabbaNoBogRoll
01-29-2011, 04:46 AM
I'm sorry.

I now appreciate that Cena can go hold for hold with anybody, despite not being technically sound.

Afterlife
01-29-2011, 04:46 AM
Seriously.

NoJabbaNoBogRoll
01-29-2011, 04:47 AM
People know it.

Afterlife
01-29-2011, 04:49 AM
Now you can join the crowd that loves him by yawning at his matches.

NoJabbaNoBogRoll
01-29-2011, 04:51 AM
It's annoying how the most competent mic guy in the company is unrelatable to humans.

Afterlife
01-29-2011, 05:00 AM
Wrong. It's only annoying that he wears a t-shirt and shorts and that he uses a script. Other than that, he's a good worker.

Fignuts
01-29-2011, 06:24 AM
I have no problems with cena.

Kane Knight
01-29-2011, 07:27 AM
I'm sorry.

I now appreciate that Cena can go hold for hold with anybody, despite not being technically sound.

Cena is technically sound. He wrestles in the style he does because that's the style WWE dictates.

NoJabbaNoBogRoll
01-29-2011, 08:32 AM
I have not raised any points regarding John Cena's in-ring ability.

I was merely pointing out the idiocy of Newstead's contradictions.

Kane Knight
01-29-2011, 09:24 AM
Yeah, true. I'm tired and didn't read it in context.

Ol Dirty Dastard
01-29-2011, 11:16 AM
I don't think I've ever seen so many self-contradictions in one post.

You are retarded.

lol

It's more what he CAN be. I've seen him go hold for hold with certain guys, and I've seen him be really lame, awkward and lazy.

I've seen him tear the house down with a promo, but I've also seen him be completely unrelatable.

At the end of the day, you're a GDN hater, so what you say has no merit.

XL
01-29-2011, 01:53 PM
Dale, didn't you call him a "good worker"? I don't see how somebody so inconsistent - by your own admission - can be a "good worker".

Jordan
01-29-2011, 06:48 PM
I think Dale just doesn't like Cena, which is totally understandable and fine. But Dale, a lot of people do like Cena. Sure, those people aren't spending time online at message boards but they are the ones who do pay for PPV's and merch and all that shit.

Generally speaking, why should WWE care what the IWC thinks? We stream that shit and don't pay for nothing. And hey, why should we? We have stuck through them thick and thin and we deserve a break.

Cena is just a contemporary Hulk Hogan, a leading player/character that Vince created and always had depended on.

I fucking hated Hulk Hogan as a baby face, he made me sick. Just like Cena makes you sick. Although Cena is obviously a much more athletically gifted performer than Hogan ever was.

Jordan
01-29-2011, 06:51 PM
LOL. It's still real to you, dammit, isn't it?

;)

Hey, like I said earlier in this thread I'm just trying to enjoy this stuff, and yeah I think I have let myself mentally regress to that childlike part of my brain when I watch WWE. And I really enjoy it so much more than I have in nearly 10 years!

You know on Monday's if I am not busy I'm going to be at home alone smoking bowls, drinking beers, and hopefully enjoying WWE. And it's been that way since around Summerslam or so. I'm just diggin it right now man!

Kane Knight
01-29-2011, 06:54 PM
Yeah, a mentally impaired state does explain a lot.

Mr. Nerfect
01-29-2011, 10:07 PM
John Cena has grown on me over the last year. Not so much to the point where I am really into his work, or anything, but it's been refreshing to see him in the Nexus angle and such. Cena is the cash-cow, so he's going to be protected. It was pretty obvious Cena was never going to turn heel and lead the group, or anything.

I think it would have been an interesting idea for the WWE to have used the whole Nexus stuff to try a new look for Cena. Besides the arm-band, Cena really didn't change at all. It would have been nice to have seen him ordered into wearing black and gold trunks or something, at the command of Sir Barrett. He could have changed back when he left (and destroyed) the group.

I'm really looking forward to his work with CM Punk. I think the two should be in the WrestleMania main event, with the feud being waged on mental grounds by CM Punk. Someone mentioned the Lex Luthor to Cena's Superman, and I feel that could be Punk. If they have Punk calling out Cena for being a ball of contradictions, and poisonous to the morals of children, it could be a pretty intense angle. I definitely think we could see it go until about May or June.