PDA

View Full Version : Trade between the Phoenix Suns and New York knicks to be announced after Game 7

The Answer
06-24-2005, 12:43 PM
http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/36324/20050623/realgm_exclusive_quentin_richardson_dealt_to_knicks_for_kurt_thomas/

Q-Rich for Kurt Thomas

The Miz
06-24-2005, 02:04 PM
Is it possible for both teams to get shittier after a trade

Lotus
06-24-2005, 02:51 PM
Is it possible for both teams to get shittier after a trade
I have to agree with you there, Miz.

RoXer
06-24-2005, 03:02 PM
No fucking way. This trade makes no sense.

RoXer
06-24-2005, 03:04 PM
It makes sense that the have 2 gaurds and need to get rid of one, but fuck.

I'll hold my breath.

RoXer
06-24-2005, 03:20 PM
Yeah, no legitimate soucre has reported on this. And I believe the first plan was to get rid of JJ since he was going to ask for a huge contract this year. But then they decided to keep everyone the way it was and have 2 sg's.

Get outta here.

Supreme Olajuwon
06-24-2005, 03:23 PM
Yeah, no legitimate soucre has reported on this. And I believe the first plan was to get rid of JJ since he was going to ask for a huge contract this year. But then they decided to keep everyone the way it was and have 2 sg's.

Get outta here.
Yeah ESPN is an awful source.

Supreme Olajuwon
06-24-2005, 03:26 PM
And how is a bad trade for the Suns? Now Marion and Amare can both play their natural positions and Thomas can play center.

RoXer
06-24-2005, 03:28 PM
Yeah ESPN is an awful source.

Link?

DaveWadding
06-24-2005, 03:29 PM
And how is a bad trade for the Suns? Now Marion and Amare can both play their natural positions and Thomas can play center.
Except Thomas sucks, just like every other player on the Knicks.

RoXer
06-24-2005, 03:34 PM
Link?
Found it

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2093093

Supreme Olajuwon
06-24-2005, 03:40 PM
Except Thomas sucks, just like every other player on the Knicks.
Yeah I definately wouldn't want a double double guy on my team. You're so smart David.

RoXer
06-24-2005, 03:41 PM
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/0623sunsonline0624.html

RoXer
06-24-2005, 03:41 PM
:|

DaveWadding
06-24-2005, 03:42 PM
Yeah I definately wouldn't want a double double guy on my team. You're so smart David.
do you think 11 points and 10 rebounds a game worth 14 million a year?

RoXer
06-24-2005, 03:46 PM
I understand the trade (clearing cap room) but I don't approve of it. Beggers can;t be choosers I guess.

The only way I won't be as pissed off is if they take Diagu in the draft.

Supreme Olajuwon
06-24-2005, 03:46 PM
No I don't which of course is why he doesn't make 14 million a year.

DaveWadding
06-24-2005, 03:47 PM
except for the fact that HE DOES.

RoXer
06-24-2005, 03:51 PM

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/0623sunsonline0624.html

Thomas will be paid about $14 million over the next two seasons and has a player option for $8.1 million for 2007-2008.

BCWWF
06-24-2005, 03:57 PM
Fuck!

1. The Knicks are so stupid

2. I'm pissed because they were going to give the T-Wolves Kurt Thomas for Wally Szczerbiak.

Going back to 1. Why in the blue hell are the Knicks so adamant about trading Kurt Thomas? The only reason is because he stood up to Marbury or something. So because a very formidable center stands up to a proven loser and douche bag point guard, they trade him for yet another 2 guard? Yeah, we suck, so lets trade Nazi Mohammad and Kurt Thomas and build our team around guards!

Isiah Thomas is seriously so stupid. I was just laughing and hoping that the Wolves would get Thomas, because even though I like Wally, I would give them another shooting guard and take their center.

3. If this trade is legit, the Suns will be a completely different team next year. Maybe they want to do that, but I don't know? Last year they relied on having four guys that could shoot the three. Granted Q definately cooled off and that may have been the reason they weren't as dominant in the end, but I would look to improve on what they have, not change it.

Actually, he made under 6 million last year, and in the final year of his contract (2008) he makes 8 million. That is a very legitimate price for a guy who can play center, and I mean actually play somewhat. Besides Shaq, Brad Miller, and maybe three other guys, I would prefer to have Thomas. Also, I think he would help the Wolves more then the Suns.

Anyway, Isiah is so stupid

Supreme Olajuwon
06-24-2005, 03:59 PM
You Suns fans aren't too good at division huh? 14 divided by 2 does not equal 14.

RoXer
06-24-2005, 04:00 PM
Yeah, I guess no more run and gun if this goes through.

BCWWF
06-24-2005, 04:02 PM
www.hoopshype.com/ (http://www.hoopshype.com/)

then go to salaries if you want to see what he makes each year.

BCWWF
06-24-2005, 04:05 PM
http://www.hoopshype.com/salaries/new_york.htm

2006 - 6,620,062
2007 - 7,355,625
2008 - 8,091,187

So in two years: 13,975,687

So yeah, basically 14 over two years. Which isn't a lot in NBA standards. The only player the Knicks aren't overpaying for right now

RoXer
06-24-2005, 04:07 PM
You Suns fans aren't too good at division huh? 14 divided by 2 does not equal 14.

I think it was my reading skills this time.

RoXer
06-24-2005, 04:08 PM
http://www.hoopshype.com/salaries/new_york.htm

2006 - 6,620,062
2007 - 7,355,625
2008 - 8,091,187

So in two years: 13,975,687

So yeah, basically 14 over two years. Which isn't a lot in NBA standards. The only player the Knicks aren't overpaying for right now

Yeah, I was doing the math of 14 mil a year. Which would save the Suns like 800K in the end.

This makes more sense.

DaveWadding
06-24-2005, 04:11 PM
I think it was my reading skills this time.
Yeah, evidently it was my reading comprehension.

Supreme Olajuwon
06-24-2005, 04:22 PM
This really isn't a bad move for the Knicks either. Yes, they have a lot of guards, but none of them are particularly good. Thomas wasn't even going to be the starter next year and Sweetney looks like he's going to be a good player. Plus the Knicks can have their pick of Channing Frye, Charlie Villanueva, Sean May, or whatever foreign prospect that might be out their in the draft if they want them.

Jesus Shuttlesworth
06-24-2005, 04:22 PM
Kurt Thomas is good. Joe Johnson is better than Q-Rich

Did the Knicks already have Crawford though? And Allen Houston?

RoXer
06-24-2005, 04:23 PM
Yeah, I guess no more run and gun if this goes through.

Supreme Olajuwon
06-24-2005, 04:30 PM
Kurt Thomas is good. Joe Johnson is better than Q-Rich

Did the Knicks already have Crawford though? And Allen Houston?
Yeah but they'll put Q Rich at small forward so that won't matter.

BCWWF
06-24-2005, 04:35 PM
I don't know if Allan Houston will play, but he still has two more years under contract for over 20 mil each year. I assume he comes back tho?

Supreme Olajuwon
06-24-2005, 04:38 PM
http://www.nydailynews.com/front/story/321697p-274983c.html

read that about Allan Houston

The Answer
06-24-2005, 04:44 PM
My take on the trade: The Suns get better because they can possibly keep Joe Johnson and also get a front court presence to compliment Amare. The Knicks in my opinion get worse because Q-Rich is a chucker, he hit alot of three's last year but his FG% was not very good.

Marbury,Crawford,Houston(possibly) and Q-Rich will not be able to co-exist and will take away each other's shots. Q-Rich is a below average defender in my opinion and the Knicks aren't going to get frontcourt help in this draft as the C prospects aren't that great unless you wait for someone like Bynum or Blatche to develop. Frye is a bust waiting to happen.

RoXer
06-24-2005, 05:45 PM
Frye is a bust waiting to happen.

:foc: :mad: :foc:

The Miz
06-24-2005, 05:46 PM
lol DaveWadding

BCWWF
06-24-2005, 07:29 PM
I disagree with the Answer. I am not saying that they will not be a better team, but they will be a very different team, and because of that I don't think they will be as good.

I'll start with Amare. Last years system allowed him to dominate the inside because he played on a team with four perimeter players (or at least Marion could go outside if he wanted to). That was like the reverse Shaq affect, so Amare could go and dunk all the time. In time he may develop into a KG like player, with a great shot, but as of right now he scored by driving. Adding Kurt Thomas will take away Amare's inside presence and make him take more jump shots, and I don't think his low post moves or jump shot are good enough yet.

Then you have Marion. He is the man, one of my favorite players, but I have trouble determining what he is as a player. He puts up amazing statistics year in and year out, but for some reason it seems like you just don't notice him doing it. All of a sudden you realize, hey Marion had 24 points, 10 boards, four steals, three blocks, and five assists. Go figure. He did that as a small forward, and he did it as a power forward. In my opinion, and especially in the Suns case, I prefer him as a power forward now. His blocks and rebounds prove to me that he is a power forward, and by having some three point range and his other random stats it tells me that he is one of, if not the most versitile power forwards in the game. By putting him back at small forward, it takes away his versatility because while he can put up stat lines, he is very similar to a normal small forward. My opinion is that if you can get a small forward to be an effective power forward, then he has a huge advantage based on versatility. He is quicker, has more range, and has a better knack for stealing then the average power forward.

Anybody who knows me at all knows that I really liked watching the Suns play this year, I thought they were the most exciting team in years, but if this trade goes through then I think they will be an average basketball team. No more PG, SG, SG, F, C, now it will just be PG, SG, SF,PF, C. A very different team.

I am going to spare you all from writing too much about this, but as good as Steve Nash is, I don't give him all of the credit for how good that team became. Q really was a big part in it because he was able to his so many three pointers. By losing the three point barrage that they have, they will be built like a regular basketball team :sad:

BCWWF
06-24-2005, 07:35 PM
Anyway, since it doesn't look like people really looked at it, what Supreme's link said was basically that there is a new clause where the Knicks would be idiots not to cut Allan Houston. Knowing Isiah Thomas they will probably keep him, but just so thats out there.

So it would probably be Marbury-Crawford-Q-?-?

No idea who the Knicks big men are. They are looking like they will end up as the poor mans Suns. Who knows though, maybe they add Richard Jefferson to mix things up more.

The Answer
06-24-2005, 08:04 PM

Don't get me wrong I think Frye will be a decent role player but he isn't worth a top ten pick.

PureHatred
06-24-2005, 08:10 PM
This trade might slow down the Suns in the regular season, but it makes them more of a threat come playoff time. that run n gun shit just doesn't work in the post-season: thats why Dallas changed their roster the year before and now Phoenix.

The Suns got manhandled by the Spurs, they watched San Antonio pretty much score at will, and they relized that winning 60 games doesn't count for much of you can't win a 7 game series when it counts.

I think this is a decent move for them. Now all they need is an on ball defender swingman type to slow down bigger guards and they look like a legit threat.

The Knicks are so far from contending that I don't even care how this effects them.

Nervous Ferret
06-24-2005, 08:37 PM
lol DaveWadding

RoXer
06-24-2005, 09:38 PM
Don't get me wrong I think Frye will be a decent role player but he isn't worth a top ten pick.

The Answer
06-24-2005, 10:09 PM

Can you blame me some websites compare him to Jarron Collins and that's upside. His downside *gasp* Loren Woods.....

BCWWF
06-25-2005, 12:29 AM
Just in my opinion, Steve Nash was put into a team with four other guys who could run the ball, and thats what made them so great. There is no way they can be a running team and there is no way Amare can penetrate the inside like he did with Kurt Thomas clogging it up. Steve Nash was just a great basketball player in Dallas, but he was an MVP with the guys who can run in Phoenix. That being said, I don't think Kurt Thomas is the guy you get to play an important role in a playoff run. I liked the run and gun :sad:

BCWWF
06-25-2005, 12:34 AM
Not trying to say Loren Woods is good or anything, but it really is impressive that he is staying around. I remember the Wolves taking him as a 2nd round DP, and its rare for them to last a few seasons.

Anyway, the last two mocks that I saw had him going 6th to the Jazz and 10th to the Knicks, so I guess he is pretty high up. How come Salim isn't anywhere to be seen? There are so many guys who were the shit in college but like aren't NBA prospects at all this year. Its weird.

RoXer
06-25-2005, 12:37 AM
Salim looks to be an early 2nd rounder.
Diogu might be taken by PHX.
Frye better be taken by the Warriors!!

The Miz
06-25-2005, 12:42 AM
Warriors will take that Martynas Adriusvienckiasytliabakaaitis guy and he will sit in the bench in 06 and 07 and go back to Lithuania in 08.

Innovator
06-25-2005, 12:44 AM
Yay. Another shooter

BCWWF
06-25-2005, 12:48 AM
That one guy, not sure if its who Da Miz is talking about, but he's some foreign point guard, he is looking suddenly pretty interesting to me. He seems to have good size and a lot of good things said about him.

Also, tell me why I shouldn't like Jarret Jack? I don't think the Wolves could move down to like around No. 20 in the draft and get a good player, like Jack or McCants, but my friends try to convince me that Sean May is amazing and so is Danny Granger. I still like Jack, convince me why I shouldn't.

RoXer
06-25-2005, 12:48 AM
No, I really think the Warriors won't fuck up this draft. They need a guy like Frye. And there are a few mocks which I have seen that show them choosing Frye.

I wish it was Tuesday.

The Miz
06-25-2005, 12:50 AM
I like Jack. Reminds me alot of Chauncey Billups.

BCWWF
06-25-2005, 12:53 AM
His bio on the site I look at a lot says he is a great playmaker and a great defender with good speed. I don't know why the Wolves would draft a wing man with Ebi, Hassell, Szczerbiak, and even Sprewell still looking like they are going to be there next year, and I would prefer to get a role player/Kurt Thomas :mad: as a center instead of another Olowokandi.

Supreme Olajuwon
06-25-2005, 02:34 AM
So in a thread about the Suns and the Knicks, BCWWF has made 5 posts that have some sort of Wolves reference in them. Go figure.

RP
06-25-2005, 03:17 AM
Kurt Thomas is a modern day Horace Grant. He can stand up and hit jumpers. He's actually one of the best big man shooters in the league. He crashes the boards and has decent passing skills for a big man. He's also a rough charachter. He plays tuff and muscles up alot. I think he would be a perfect fit for the Suns, but not at center. He's no Ben Wallace.

As far as the other side of this " alleged trade". ( ESPN is a horrible source.) If you have Stephon Marbury and Quentin Richardson in your starting backcourt. You just dont want to win championships. I like Marbury alot. I've liked him since his days in Georgia Tech. Stephon just doesnt work unless he has a superstar teamate. He's the key to the Bentley. Now you just need the Bentley. Get it? When him and Garnett were together. They were great. Imagine if they matured together and played together up to this point. The Timberwolves would have atleast 3 titles. No doubt about it. Put Stephon with Lebron James. Cleveland wins a title within 3 years, but put Stephon with Jamal Crawford. You get consistant 29-40 win seasons. You never get a decent draft pick because Marbury is always just good enough to keep you challenging for a 8th seed. This is facts. He did it with the Suns. He did it with New Jersey. So why in the hell would Isiah Thomas think that trading your best big man ( Most underrated PF in the league, which will be seen once he is Pheoenix , because the west coast knows nothing about Kurt Thomas), your second best player, your most reliable and consistant player, for Quentin Richardson. The inventor of the bull horns hand gesture. If New York ever wants to get in the playoffs again, fire Isiah Thomas.

Kid Robb
06-25-2005, 04:06 AM
Worst...trade...ever

RoXer
06-25-2005, 10:31 AM
AND we get a 1st round pick for this year?!?!

BCWWF
06-25-2005, 02:09 PM
So in a thread about the Suns and the Knicks, BCWWF has made 5 posts that have some sort of Wolves reference in them. Go figure.
Kurt Thomas for Wally Szczerbiak was what the initial trade was going to be. Considering this is a thread about Kurt Thomas being traded, I don't find it unreasonable to bring this up. I think Kurt Thomas would be a better fit on the Wolves then the Suns, period. I made about 20 other posts in this thread about Kurt Thomas, The Suns and the Knicks, why don't you worry about that instead.

The Icon of Elisim
06-25-2005, 05:37 PM
I think this is a great trade for the Suns. I would bet that they play around with Thomas starting but eventually move him to the bench.

The Answer
06-25-2005, 11:14 PM
AND we get a 1st round pick for this year?!?!

No, a future one.

BCWWF
06-26-2005, 01:43 AM
Completely off topic, but where do you think Shareef ends up? I saw one report mentioning Cleveland. I think if they retained Z, he would help them a lot. One that I thought of would be Milwaukee. A lineup of TJ Ford, Mike Redd, Desmond Mason, Shareef, Bogut could put up some wins (assuming TJ is alive and Redd resigns). Does anybody know if Milwaukee is looking at him?

BCWWF
06-27-2005, 09:43 PM
I hope Raymond Allen stays with Seatttttttttle

The Icon of Elisim
06-28-2005, 03:56 AM
Rumor about Shareef is that he wants to go to Cleveland if they resign Z. He wants to play with a true center and I'm sure the Lebron factor is huge.

I heard Ray Allen would also sign with Cleveland for less money than he is demanding for the Lebron factor.