PDA

View Full Version : The Samurai Warrior, Mister Fuji.

NeanderCarl
03-13-2007, 03:01 PM
I can't believe how young he is. He's 72 years old now. That means that when he was managing Demolition in 1987 (arguably his prime as a manager, despite of Yokozuna) he was only 52. I always remember thinking he was ancient even back then. I checked his Wikipedia entry, thinking he must be in his 90s by now, but nope.

NeanderCarl
03-13-2007, 03:03 PM
Last time I saw him in 1996, he looked like a frail, decrepit old man who could barely move. Imagine the state on him now!

NeanderCarl
03-13-2007, 03:22 PM
Hmmm... not really much to discuss about this thread though, is there?

Uh... any favourite Mr Fuji memories?? :shifty:

Or any memorable Fuji interviews??

Does he even deserve to be in the Hall of Fame? I never bought into him much as a manager. I'm thinking Fuji should have been inducted as a tag team, together with the late Toru Tanaka.

redoneja
03-13-2007, 03:40 PM
I remember Fuji's antics during the Wrestlemania V weekend. Back then they had a 5k run for Mania weekend. Fuji was going to show how in shape he was for his match with the Powers of Pain against Demolition so he decided to run the 5k. You see him take off from the starting line, and then miraculously, he's like one of the first people across the finish line. Come to find out he ran off the course and got into a car, which drove him almost all the way to the finish line. Oh Mr Fuji, you so crazy.

FourFifty
03-13-2007, 04:03 PM
Mr. Fuji was a one trick pony, but damned if he wasn't the best at that one trick.

KayfabeMan
03-13-2007, 04:09 PM
Last time I saw him in 1996, he looked like a frail, decrepit old man who could barely move. Imagine the state on him now!

If you were taking bumps every night for 20 years, you'd barely be able to move as well. And that's when they bumped for more than 5 minutes at a time like they do today. If you call what's done nowadays bumping.

KayfabeMan
03-13-2007, 04:12 PM
Also, Fuji certainly does deserve to be in the HoF.

He had an amazing career, and contributed a great deal to the business. His time in the PNW, Hawaii, California, WWWF / WWF was awesome - and he'd remained a great performer and draw for quite some time. Made WWF some great $$$ and certainly was a valuable asset to work with; nevermind work as a manager in the 1980's and 1990's. Good for him :y:

tucsonspeed6
03-13-2007, 04:13 PM
Was that the "Choppy choppy pee pee" guy?

NeanderCarl
03-13-2007, 04:14 PM
No that was photographer Wally Yamaguchi.

NeanderCarl
03-13-2007, 04:16 PM
If you were taking bumps every night for 20 years, you'd barely be able to move as well. And that's when they bumped for more than 5 minutes at a time like they do today. If you call what's done nowadays bumping.

Not saying you're wrong about Fuji being inducted, you seem to have seen more of his in-ring work than I have... but let's be fair back in those days, the matches may have been longer than 5 minutes, but a lot less happened in them. The old school guys were masterful at working a crowd, which they tended to rely on more than taking any risky bumps or high octane action.

KayfabeMan
03-13-2007, 04:58 PM
It doesn't have to be risky to cause damage, that's the thing. Especially when it's so consistent to be every night like that, simple bumps add up to a lot of back damage and whatnot.

Look at a guy like Iron Sheik, who can barely walk now, and he was definitely a very good ground wrestler. Just the bumping and injuries add up and hurt a great deal.

Also, the thing about back then to remember is, the face had the easy job. The heel was constantly bumping & Fuji was definitely a heel far more than a face. Faces took the rest hold moves, as you basically mentioned, and heels took all the bumps.

wwe2222
03-13-2007, 05:28 PM
not to mention he was a 5 time tag team champ if im not mistaken

Pepsi Man
03-13-2007, 06:22 PM
It doesn't have to be risky to cause damage, that's the thing. Especially when it's so consistent to be every night like that, simple bumps add up to a lot of back damage and whatnot.

Look at a guy like Iron Sheik, who can barely walk now, and he was definitely a very good ground wrestler. Just the bumping and injuries add up and hurt a great deal.

Also, the thing about back then to remember is, the face had the easy job. The heel was constantly bumping & Fuji was definitely a heel far more than a face. Faces took the rest hold moves, as you basically mentioned, and heels took all the bumps.
The other thing is back in the day, there was a lot bigger emphasis as selling wrestling to crowds and people as REAL and legit, not just "realistic".

Jordan
03-13-2007, 07:26 PM
When I lived in TN Fuji lived in my neighboorhood. Haha, I hooked him up with valume(sp?) for his wife. He works at a movie theatre in Knoxville.

NeanderCarl
03-13-2007, 11:31 PM
I'm not saying he doesn't deserve Hall of Fame recognition, just that maybe he should be inducted with Tanaka as a tag team. Much like The Blackjacks and the Valiants are questionable as Hall of Famers on a solo basis, but their tag team efforts are worthy. Well... not sure bout the Valiants, actually, but there you go.

Executioner
03-13-2007, 11:41 PM
Mr. Fuji....

Oh i love Mr. Fuji....

:love: :love:

Gone Mad
03-13-2007, 11:49 PM
Fuji was the man back in those days. If there were any fav memories, it be anything with Yokozuna. That one home video with him showing how much Yoko can eat was hilarious.

Theo Dious
03-14-2007, 09:03 AM
Suit/Bowler Hat/Cane Fuji > Pajamas/Bald Head/Japanese Flag Fuji

ttetf
03-14-2007, 09:51 AM
Not saying you're wrong about Fuji being inducted, you seem to have seen more of his in-ring work than I have... but let's be fair back in those days, the matches may have been longer than 5 minutes, but a lot less happened in them. The old school guys were masterful at working a crowd, which they tended to rely on more than taking any risky bumps or high octane action.

Weren't the rings a lot stiffer way back when too? Just saying, simple bumps like a slam or even just dropping after a closthesline night after night probably added up to more damage than those moves do by todays rings.

03-14-2007, 10:32 AM
The Orient Express was one of my favorite teams to watch back in the day.

And markishly, I used to love watching Tanaka get tossed around. :y:

KayfabeMan
03-14-2007, 11:38 AM
Weren't the rings a lot stiffer way back when too? Just saying, simple bumps like a slam or even just dropping after a closthesline night after night probably added up to more damage than those moves do by todays rings.

In most cases, yes :y:

redoneja
03-15-2007, 11:31 PM
The Orient Express was one of my favorite teams to watch back in the day.

And markishly, I used to love watching Tanaka get tossed around. :y:

Pretty sure that's two different Tanaka's.

KayfabeMan
03-16-2007, 12:39 AM
Yeah, one was Pat Tanaka - who was teamed with Kato / Paul Diamond - they used to be in the AWA with DDP before going to WWF as The Orient Express. They left AWA right around the same period The Rockers did and headed to WWE.

The other Tanaka was the late Toru Tanaka - a fairly well-known character actor who had a very successful wrestling career as well. He was a double threat in wrestling and acting, and was successful at both duties.

Neither are, to my knowledge, related to Masato Tanaka in any way. Before anyone asks and / or makes that suggestion.

Mr. JL
03-16-2007, 03:58 AM
The fact that Mr. fuji is still alive proves that this business has the potential to produce great athletes and entertainers who don't need to pump themseleves full of steroids to be appealing to the casual viewer.

He also proves that if you make healthy life choices, (like not endulging in drugs or alcohol...) that you can live a long life, even despite the grueling wear and tear that being in a wrestling ring does to you're body and health.

KayfabeMan
03-16-2007, 04:02 AM
:y: