PDA

View Full Version : NFL Expansion Question.. (Gonzo is gay LOL)

Kris P Lettus
11-25-2007, 04:57 PM
So, this is all the happenings I can remember in my lifetime..

-Browns became the Ravens
-Oilers moved from Houston to Memphis, then to Nashville, changing their name to the Titans
-Panthers became an NFC expantion while the Jags did for the AFC

My questions are

-How did the Texans come about which no NFC expation to even out the divisions??
-How did the Browns come back into existance??

Am I fucking something up here, cause I can't remember/figure out how the NFC and AFC stayed even in all that.. Did the divisional changes have something to do with it??

Help..

YOUR Hero
11-25-2007, 06:06 PM
Buffalo to become Toronto

Gonzo
11-25-2007, 06:40 PM
So, this is all the happenings I can remember in my lifetime..

-Browns became the Ravens
-Oilers moved from Houston to Memphis, then to Nashville, changing their name to the Titans
-Panthers became an NFC expantion while the Jags did for the AFC

My questions are

-How did the Texans come about which no NFC expation to even out the divisions??
-How did the Browns come back into existance??

Am I fucking something up here, cause I can't remember/figure out how the NFC and AFC stayed even in all that.. Did the divisional changes have something to do with it??

Help..

Well I believe at one point each division had 5 teams (the old ones) except the AFC Central had 6 teams. Then when the Texans joined the AFC, Seattle entered the NFC and there were 4 teams to the new divisions.

OssMan
11-25-2007, 09:47 PM
public class Browns extends Ravens

//create new teams
Team titans = new Team
Team jaguars = new Team
Team fakeBrowns = new Team
Team texans = new Team

Kris P Lettus
11-25-2007, 10:13 PM
Well I believe at one point each division had 5 teams (the old ones) except the AFC Central had 6 teams. Then when the Texans joined the AFC, Seattle entered the NFC and there were 4 teams to the new divisions.

Yeah, that's what I'm seeing now..

How did the extra team in the AFC work out though??

Cooler Tom Schuler
11-26-2007, 12:06 AM
The old schedule was very unbalanced.

Supreme Olajuwon
11-26-2007, 02:21 PM

When Modell moved the Browns to Baltimore, there was a big legal battle because the people of Cleveland had voted for construction of a new stadium but Modell decided to move the team anyway. The NFL decided to give Cleveland 3 years to build the stadium and then they'd get a new team which ended up being the Browns part II. So then the NFL had 31 teams and Tagliabue wanted an even number of teams so that's how Houston got their franchise.

Stickman
11-26-2007, 02:26 PM
Buffalo to become Toronto

Not going to happen.

Kris P Lettus
11-26-2007, 05:22 PM
When Modell moved the Browns to Baltimore, there was a big legal battle because the people of Cleveland had voted for construction of a new stadium but Modell decided to move the team anyway. The NFL decided to give Cleveland 3 years to build the stadium and then they'd get a new team which ended up being the Browns part II. So then the NFL had 31 teams and Tagliabue wanted an even number of teams so that's how Houston got their franchise.

I grow up a football fan, but during highschool wasn't near as into it as I have been the past 8 years..

This has been fucking with me awhile..

Thanks for the info..

Gonzo
11-26-2007, 05:28 PM
Also, its expansion, not expantion.

Sorry that was bothering me.

Kris P Lettus
11-26-2007, 05:30 PM
Yeah I noticed that too, but was too lazy to edit..

:o

Kris P Lettus
11-26-2007, 05:31 PM
Fixed the title for you...

:heart:

Gonzo
11-26-2007, 05:56 PM
:kiss:

#1-norm-fan
11-26-2007, 07:38 PM

It's tough to explain thoroughly.

Basically though, when there were 31 teams in the league, either one or three teams had a bye every week of the season. Unlike now where byes begin in week 3 and stop in week 10. This was done because obviously, only 30 teams could play every week.

As far as the scheduled games for each team, it was a mess. Now, every team plays each team in their division twice, every team from one division in the other conference, every team from one division in their own conference, and one team from the other two divisions in their own conference. Pretty simple.

Back then, since one division had 6 teams and all others had 5, it was the same basic setup but as far as who played who in the AFC Central it was a mess. Everyone still played each other twice in that division but as far as games outside the division, I could probably explain it but it would take a long time.

Kris P Lettus
11-26-2007, 07:39 PM
:y:

YOUR Hero
11-27-2007, 10:03 AM
Not going to happen.

That's what you think

Stickman
11-27-2007, 01:10 PM
It would be the worst thing to happen to Canadian sports if it did.

VonErichLives
11-27-2007, 05:26 PM
That's what you think

I don't see them going to Toronto full time, but the owner is trying to get permission to play 2-4 games a year in Toronto.

His reasoning is it's a short drive and he's hoping to get revenue from there (not ticket sales, but merchanside and more importantly advertising and luxury boxes) there was even talk of an idea if a Toronto company bought a luxury box the Bills would pay for a limo or flight to Buffalo for the home games.

It would be the worst thing to happen to Canadian sports if it did.

How so?

Kris P Lettus
11-28-2007, 10:55 AM
Don't listen to him.. That's just Stickman trying to act "hard" and coming off like an asshole..

SAME OLE SAME OLE

Stickman
11-28-2007, 12:45 PM
How so?

It would kill the CFL. Toronto and Hamilton would fold, Montreal's closest rival would be Winnepeg. The CFL cannot survive as a Western Canada league.

An NFL team in Toronto would be bogus, it would not be Canada's team. The country would not rally behind it. In Vancouver a lot of NFL fans are Seahawks fans. We have the best of both leagues locally, why would an NFL team in Toronto be good for Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonto, Regina, Winnepeg, Montreal?

People in Canada are NFL fans, yes, but there's more CFL love than NFL and the ratings prove it. The Colts/Pats game drew 250k viewers in Canada. The two CFL conference final games both drew over 1.3M viewers in a country of 30M. The CFL games constantly out rate NFL games in this country. THe Grey Cup finals constantly outdraw the Stanley Cup finals in this country. Hard to believe I know but ratings don't lie (that much).

How is an NFL team in Toronto good for Canada?

Stickman
11-28-2007, 12:48 PM
Don't listen to him.. That's just Stickman trying to act "hard" and coming off like an asshole..

SAME OLE SAME OLE

It's getting old man. We have differing views obviously, but in no way do I act "hard" or anything. If you want to see somebody act "hard" look in a mirror. That was you who constantly brings up getting shot and meeting famous people isn't it?

Kris P Lettus
11-28-2007, 01:19 PM
O_o

Yeah, like maybe 100 posts outta my 20000 have been about that.. It seems every one of your posts you are trying to go against the grain and come across like a hardass..

Kris P Lettus
11-28-2007, 01:20 PM
Also, how does meeting celebs make someone "hard"??

Stickman
11-28-2007, 03:17 PM
How does my opinion make me hard?

Kris P Lettus
11-28-2007, 03:48 PM
It's how you come across stating your opinions that makes it look that way..

Cooler Tom Schuler
11-28-2007, 03:50 PM
How about you're both acting retarded?

VonErichLives
11-28-2007, 04:37 PM
It would kill the CFL. Toronto and Hamilton would fold, Montreal's closest rival would be Winnepeg. The CFL cannot survive as a Western Canada league.

An NFL team in Toronto would be bogus, it would not be Canada's team. The country would not rally behind it. In Vancouver a lot of NFL fans are Seahawks fans. We have the best of both leagues locally, why would an NFL team in Toronto be good for Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonto, Regina, Winnepeg, Montreal?

People in Canada are NFL fans, yes, but there's more CFL love than NFL and the ratings prove it. The Colts/Pats game drew 250k viewers in Canada. The two CFL conference final games both drew over 1.3M viewers in a country of 30M. The CFL games constantly out rate NFL games in this country. THe Grey Cup finals constantly outdraw the Stanley Cup finals in this country. Hard to believe I know but ratings don't lie (that much).

So, if no one would rally behined it, and much more people watch the grey cup etc... etc... then clearly an NFL franchise in Canada would fail, how would it cause the CFL to fold?

McDoogle
11-28-2007, 04:41 PM
I don't think it would fold if there was only 2-4 games but an actual team would cause Toronto and Hamilton to lose their CFL teams. I think he means the CFL would fold because I believe (im not 100% sure) that Toronto and Hamilton are the two biggest revenue sources in the CFL or they're the top 3 forsure. Plus if they do fold there basically isn't any interest in Eastern Canada to watch a Western based CFL league.

McDoogle
11-28-2007, 04:42 PM
Personally id love to see an NFL team in Toronto although I doubt it'll happen.

Stickman
11-28-2007, 04:52 PM
I don't think it would fold if there was only 2-4 games but an actual team would cause Toronto and Hamilton to lose their CFL teams. I think he means the CFL would fold because I believe (im not 100% sure) that Toronto and Hamilton are the two biggest revenue sources in the CFL or they're the top 3 forsure. Plus if they do fold there basically isn't any interest in Eastern Canada to watch a Western based CFL league.

Pretty much yeah. I don't think Hamilton is a huge revenue source as I know they were bleedin money. Toronto may be.

McDoogle
11-28-2007, 04:59 PM
I think Hamilton and Sask. both are the only teams to sell out every game for 2 years in a row? Im pretty sure I heard that on the radio.

VonErichLives
11-28-2007, 06:45 PM
Pretty much yeah. I don't think Hamilton is a huge revenue source as I know they were bleedin money. Toronto may be.

my point is if you say no one really cares about the NFL and the CFL is so popular, wouldn't an NFL franchise fail rather then take-out the CFL franchises?

Stickman
11-29-2007, 01:34 PM
my point is if you say no one really cares about the NFL and the CFL is so popular, wouldn't an NFL franchise fail rather then take-out the CFL franchises?

No, because all the big corporate dollars in Ontario would go to the NFL team.

DAMN iNATOR
11-29-2007, 07:46 PM
That's what you think

Look. We gave you damn Canadians a chance with MLB in Montréal, and guess how that turned out? So, no pigskin for you. Keep your CFL or whatever it is.

Supreme Olajuwon
11-30-2007, 02:05 PM
Look. We gave you damn Canadians a chance with MLB in Montréal, and guess how that turned out? So, no pigskin for you. Keep your CFL or whatever it is.

You know there's still a baseball team in Canada right? And a basketball team?

Mercury Bullet
11-30-2007, 02:24 PM
If the CFL started to fail, I could see the NFL 'consuming' it basically and turning it into a feeder league seeing as how NFL Europe folded.

NFL wants to go international, and I think Canada will be the first and probably get two teams.

Stickman
11-30-2007, 03:37 PM
BUt why would Canadians want to abadon a 95 year old league?

Kris P Lettus
11-30-2007, 03:49 PM
You are the one who started saying that it would fail if the NFL came to Canada..

Stickman
11-30-2007, 05:31 PM
It will.

Shisen Kopf
11-30-2007, 06:39 PM
They should put a NFL team in LA before Toronto.

Stickman
11-30-2007, 07:03 PM

Why not 2?

Kris P Lettus
11-30-2007, 11:01 PM
BUt why would Canadians want to abadon a 95 year old league?

You are the one who started saying that it would fail if the NFL came to Canada..

It will.

Then you tell us "why would Canadians want to abadon a 95 year old league?"..

Stickman
12-03-2007, 02:27 PM
CFl is a gate driven league, NFL is not. CFL claws and scratches for sponsorship dollars, NFL teams make money without needing 1 butt in a seat. The CFL salary cap is 4 Million dollars. If the NFL goes to Toronto, the money makers in Ontario will want a piece of the pie and forget about the Argos or Ticats. Nobody wants to abandon the CFL but it can't really succeed as a Western Canada league. Toronto and Hamilton would more than likely fold. Ottawa has folded twice and that's without NFL in Ontario. Montreal was dormant for years, Hamilton was/is on the verge of folding, BC was in rough shape. The league is pretty stable right now but not if the NFL comes to town. The countries are a lot different, and so are the leagues, I think that's what you're not understanding.

Kris P Lettus
12-03-2007, 11:54 PM
You are wrong about NFL making money without needing people going to games..

I also don't get how sponsorship could ruin something that is fan driven.. As you said it is..

???

Stickman
12-04-2007, 05:20 PM
I'm not explaining economics anymore.

Oh and yes, NFL teams make money before the first game is played.

Kris P Lettus
12-04-2007, 05:32 PM
Yeah, but you made it out like a team could strive with out selling a single ticket..

Stickman
12-05-2007, 01:15 PM
Obvisouly not, but they make profit without selling a single ticket.

Reavant
12-05-2007, 01:33 PM
Stickman is right.... the money would be in the nfl team. Yea they need to put fans in the seats, but lets not forget people travel to see theyre favorite teams play. A team in Canada like that would be cheaper because they are trying to get people in seats. Not to mention it would bring huge amounts of money into the town that the team is in because of travelers who have come to see the opposing team beat the canada team. Soon all those people that are making money from the nfl team would stick to that nfl team and you would see the local cfl team either move or go under which would have a domino effect on the other cfl teams because they would lose competition and soon lose money and then go under as well.

Reavant
12-05-2007, 01:34 PM
maybe it would be good for the canadian cities to have the nfl economically, but it would be bad for the cfl and probably piss off a lot of patriotic canadians

Stickman
12-05-2007, 02:59 PM
Thank you.

Stickman
12-05-2007, 02:59 PM
BTW, I don't think Toronto would be able to get 60,000+ out to every game.

WestNZ
01-21-2008, 02:36 AM

heck yes, or give us a team over here in NZ, may be a nightmare travelling to games, but hey, its the NFL, alot of money to throw around

Lara Emily
01-22-2008, 01:11 AM

I wouldn't say constantly Edmonton vs Carolina Game 7 in 2006 outdrew the Grey Cup of the same year.

That being said you can't really compare a single game rating to a series anyway.

Jesus Shuttlesworth
01-22-2008, 01:17 AM
Yeah I really don't think the NFL has any plans to move a team into Canada though, well maybe Toronto but I don't even know about that. I think the NFL is more looking towards playing games WAY outside of the United States market in order to get more fans. I mean, I am just guessing there is already plenty of NFL fans in Canada since it is so close. I think they are going to continue playing a game or two over seas every season.

If anything a team might move to LA, right now I can't see the NFL adding any more teams because it seems to completely perfect right now (the lay out of the conferences, the amount of talent in the league etc.)