PDA

View Full Version : why isn't Smackdown live?

XTREME
03-28-2004, 10:55 AM
Can somebody tell me why Raw is live and Smackdown isn't?

The Mackem
03-28-2004, 11:25 AM
I dunno, is it something to do with the network that shows it?

loopydate
03-28-2004, 12:38 PM
I dunno, is it something to do with the network that shows it?

That would be my guess. On cable, you can get away with things you can't get away with on a network. UPN is probably afraid that someone will swear during a match or something and, since it's live, they won't be able to bleep it out and catch mad heat from the FCC.

But, then again, I'm just speculating.

The Destroyer
03-28-2004, 01:09 PM
Probably a cost issue. That and having all your TV for the week recorded on two consecutive days probably makes things easier.

Kane Knight
03-28-2004, 02:27 PM
UPN's always been a little iffy about wrestling from what I've seen. With some of the shit pulled on live WWE TV, who can blame them?

Cable's a different ballgame, and Smackdown's on earlier (By a whole hour, but still enough to make a difference in Prime Time).

loopydate
03-28-2004, 03:46 PM
Smackdown's on earlier (By a whole hour, but still enough to make a difference in Prime Time).

That's right. 8-9 is still considered by many to be the "Family Hour." That's why you see sitcoms during that hour and the "Law & Order" / "CSI" / "Shield" type shows after nine.

Lamuella
03-28-2004, 04:40 PM
also, UPN would be much less tolerant about SD overrunning than Spike TV is about RAW overrunning

Kane Knight
03-28-2004, 05:26 PM
you mean, given that UPN has a couple of shows people give a fu</>ck about, as opposed to Spike, which struggles to get its viewers into double digits half the time?

Rob
03-29-2004, 12:52 PM
Probably a cost issue. That and having all your TV for the week recorded on two consecutive days probably makes things easier.

THAT IS EXACTLY WHY.

I had to say it in capitals so people would listen. No doubt this post will get ignored and blah blah blah.

It costs some like 35% more money to film live. WWE can afford it and discussed running live before but scheduling ruins it. Also, they consider it their #2 show.

The Forgotten One
03-29-2004, 01:17 PM
I hear you. :shifty:

Goldbird
04-02-2004, 07:51 AM
THAT IS EXACTLY WHY.

I had to say it in capitals so people would listen. No doubt this post will get ignored and blah blah blah.

It costs some like 35% more money to film live. WWE can afford it and discussed running live before but scheduling ruins it. Also, they consider it their #2 show.

FICKEN DU. Smackdown will never be the #2 show. NEVER.

c4g2
04-02-2004, 08:19 AM
^ :shifty:

I think if Smackdown is live, the novelty of the 'live' show will wear off. WWE is trying to establish the brand extension by having one show live and one taped. Smackdown will just be another Raw if WWE holds it live.