PDA

View Full Version : What the hell, already.

Afterlife
07-12-2009, 02:52 PM
I just caught Smackdown. What the fuck was with those chair shots? We show the wind-up, cut to the crowd and hear the impact, then cut back to the ring for the result? I can tolerate the "clean language" and the "no blood", regardless of the fact that such policies are inappropriate. But not letting us see the chair shots now? I'm on my way to getting really fed up with Linda being on the Board of Education.

muffalufagus
07-12-2009, 02:57 PM
Which chair shots do you speak of?

Chavo Classic
07-12-2009, 03:01 PM
It doesn't make much sense... from the perspective of Linda McMahon. The chair shot is still featured in the match and even if it is not directly shown on screen, the use of a foreign object could still be portrayed at extreme violence by the groups and individuals who the WWE are currently trying to appease with their toned-down product.

They need to decide where they want to be. Either choose to present a PG rated show and cut all offensive content, including the use or intended use of violence and sex, or revert back to their stance of the late 90's. The middle ground is pleasing no-one as the fans want to see violence and are almost being teased by it's covert presence, while the pressure groups won't be satisfied until it's just headlocks and suplexes.

Afterlife
07-12-2009, 03:01 PM
Kane vs. Khali.

Even in the replays, instead of cutting to the crowd, they got almost to the chair impacts and then freeze framed, like they do for post-ppv advertisements.

Afterlife
07-12-2009, 03:03 PM
It doesn't make much sense... from the perspective of Linda McMahon. The chair shot is still featured in the match and even if it is not directly shown on screen, the use of a foreign object could still be portrayed at extreme violence by the groups and individuals who the WWE are currently trying to appease with their toned-down product.

They need to decide where they want to be. Either choose to present a PG rated show and cut all offensive content, including the use or intended use of violence and sex, or revert back to their stance of the late 90's. The middle ground is pleasing no-one as the fans want to see violence and are almost being teased by it's covert presence, while the pressure groups won't be satisfied until it's just headlocks and suplexes.

Pressure groups never made them any money. I say give the fans what they want before they don't want anything.

CSL
07-12-2009, 03:14 PM
lol what? I remember they used to do this on the 10am showing of Smackdown on a Saturday morning 'cause that's when mainly kids watched but they're doing this for prime time showings now?

RatedGSuperstar
07-12-2009, 03:18 PM
I remember seeing something similar a little while back when I was watching an early international feed of SmackDown, back when Edge was tormenting Vickie and Chavo and going apeshit. They showed Chavo getting set up for the one man con-chair-to but cut away right before impact to showing Vickie shrieking and you heard the chair impact. After the impact, they cut back to dead Chavo and Edge's crazy eyes look.

If they're doing it States-side now, though, it's pretty lame. It's not like kids in the audience didn't see it live. If you're going to do cutaways, you might as well just cut out the chairshots altogether.

Chavo Classic
07-12-2009, 03:24 PM
If they're doing it States-side now, though, it's pretty lame. It's not like kids in the audience didn't see it live. If you're going to do cutaways, you might as well just cut out the chairshots altogether.

Exactly. If the intention and consequence of the act are still shown, why is it necessary to not show the act itself? The ear-cutting scene of Reservoir Dogs was just as tense and gory, and still received an equal amount of criticism.

DAMN iNATOR
07-12-2009, 03:37 PM
I hope Vince and Linda either retire or passes on their positions in WWE soon so that way either Shane or Stephanie can try to give the product a boost, at least back to 'R' or so...WWE could really benefit from a new 'Attitude' era...but as long as Vince is still in charge, as well as Linda, we'll have two fifty or sixty-something people in charge of a product which they no longer understand how to market as they did in the mid 90s-early (Jan. or so, roughly) '02. IMHO.

Kane Knight
07-12-2009, 04:41 PM

YES.

I hate this whole "We're family friendly, only not" shit. The above chair shots thing is a good example. You don't want to show that kind of extreme violence? Don't. That's fine. but don't "kind of" show it.

Dorkchop
07-12-2009, 05:32 PM
What if the chair shot was completely botched and they just did that in editing? I know they've edited things on Smackdown before. Once Edge was going to get chokeslammed by the Undetaker then he was wearing completely different pants for a second, then he was back to his original. i want to find a video of that. I know it's in a Botchamania, but I'm not going through older ones to find it.

I doubt it was botched, but it wouldn't surprise me if they did that. I'm not a dan of this new PG shit, but doing this is pretty stupid.

Vastardikai
07-12-2009, 05:33 PM
They used to do this shit in USWA programming, btw.

Afterlife
07-12-2009, 07:03 PM
What if the chair shot was completely botched and they just did that in editing? I know they've edited things on Smackdown before. Once Edge was going to get chokeslammed by the Undetaker then he was wearing completely different pants for a second, then he was back to his original. i want to find a video of that. I know it's in a Botchamania, but I'm not going through older ones to find it.

I doubt it was botched, but it wouldn't surprise me if they did that. I'm not a dan of this new PG shit, but doing this is pretty stupid.

Three chair shots in a row, tho? One hit Khali (shoulder or head, not sure which). Kane swung again, and Khali punched it away. Then Khali, swung and hit Kane in the shoulder, causing Kane to bail. I don't see how all three of those could have been "botched".

Dorkchop
07-12-2009, 07:59 PM
I did not know there were three chair shots.

St. Jimmy
07-12-2009, 08:03 PM
Linda has always avoided violence:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rnJDUVmGXKU&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rnJDUVmGXKU&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Londoner
07-12-2009, 08:06 PM
I'm sure they showed the chair shots on the late night showing here in the UK, but i didn't take much notice.

Fox
07-12-2009, 08:37 PM
Why is Linda trying to get on the school board anyways? It's not like her kids are still in school.

DAMN iNATOR
07-12-2009, 09:44 PM
Linda has always avoided violence:
<EMBED height=344 type=application/x-shockwave-flash width=425 src=http://www.youtube.com/v/rnJDUVmGXKU&hl=en&fs=1& allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always"></EMBED>

I see what ya did there, using "avoided" as a double-entendre...but she hasn't always been so lucky...she was a victim of Kane tombstoning her on the top of the RAW ramp several years back:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6uxb-qA2BM ("Embedding disabled by request". Bastards.)

The Mackem
07-13-2009, 06:37 AM
Why is Linda trying to get on the school board anyways? It's not like her kids are still in school.

Power, status, progession on to bigger things probably but I'd imagine she has an interest in education and will be connected to schools and universities.

Team Sheep
07-13-2009, 08:56 AM
Yeah they've always done this on the non-late night WWE shows over here.

Kane Knight
07-13-2009, 09:14 AM

Stepping stone.

The Mackem
07-13-2009, 09:16 AM
First female President. She can come out to the Wrestlemania theme music before cutting a promo on Canada.

kareru
07-13-2009, 09:51 AM
on the pg versions of the wcw shows they just used to put a comical flash like ' crack' or 'boff' whenever weapons were used, you could still kinda see what happened but it wasnt full ball graphic

kareru
07-13-2009, 09:52 AM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2ox9HBbNBlw&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2ox9HBbNBlw&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

lol found it, some idiot filmed it on a mobile phone

Rammsteinmad
07-13-2009, 10:10 AM
I remember WCW doing that, and always thought as far as censoring goes, even though it's cheesy etc, it's actually better than showing the crowd or freezing the frame because at least you still see that weapon attack. Really it was only the weapon on body impact that was covered. :y:

Xero
07-13-2009, 10:15 AM
LOL at the Batman censoring.

Kane Knight
07-13-2009, 12:29 PM
First female President. She can come out to the Wrestlemania theme music before cutting a promo on Canada.

Not gonna happen. You've seen her talk. You need to be charismatic to be President.

Kane Knight
07-13-2009, 12:32 PM
<object width="425" height="344">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2ox9HBbNBlw&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></object>

lol found it, some idiot filmed it on a mobile phone

That was vaguely AWESOME.

Mooияakeя™
07-13-2009, 03:03 PM
I cam so imagine that being a staple of Chikara.

parkmania
07-13-2009, 05:39 PM
I'm pretty sure they showed the chairshots during the replay. I distinctly remember seeing Khali punch the chair away, at the very least.

Afterlife
07-13-2009, 05:45 PM
I'm pretty sure they showed the chairshots during the replay. I distinctly remember seeing Khali punch the chair away, at the very least.

He swung, action-blurred freezeframe a foot from the chair, and during the freezeframe, you hear the contact. All three replays were like that.

Juan
07-13-2009, 05:47 PM
AL, I'm sure the edit had something to do with the fact that you watched it on Hulu. I watched SD last night on my DVR and the chair shots were visible.

Xero
07-13-2009, 05:48 PM
Juan's probably right. I'll go back in a bit, but Hulu probably gets the overseas edits or some shit.

parkmania
07-13-2009, 05:53 PM
AL, I'm sure the edit had something to do with the fact that you watched it on Hulu. I watched SD last night on my DVR and the chair shots were visible.

QFT. I taped it Friday night from TV and watched it yesterday.

Afterlife
07-13-2009, 05:58 PM

That's actually very good to hear. :y:

The Mackem
07-14-2009, 04:10 AM
Not gonna happen. You've seen her talk. You need to be charismatic to be President.

Yeah, you're right, she doesn't take the stunner very well either.