PDA

View Full Version : DISCUSSION - If the WWE Rosters were unified, what do you think things would be like?

Heyman
12-04-2009, 12:22 AM
DISCUSSION - If the WWE Rosters were unified, what do you think things would be like?

Disclaimer - this thread isn't meant to debate as to whether the rosters should be re-united (as there are probably tons of threads that have dealt with that).

Seriously though - what do you think the WWE would be like if there was ONE unified roster.....just like it was pre-2002? Would the shows be better with more depth? Would the titles mean more due there being 'less'? (i.e. I am assuming that many of the titles would be re-unified). Would be more wrestlers be held back? Could one argue that even though more wrestlers would be "held back", the one's that actually get through that 'ceiling' would be that much bigger and better for it? (as opposed to if they 'broke through' with on a certain show with split rosters). Would a roster re-unification even be FEASIBLE? (now that the WWE roster as a whole is signficantly smaller than it was back in 2002). Which wrestlers would benefit the most? (btw, my answer to that would be 'The Miz' and 'CM Punk.') Which wrestlers would get hurt the most?

Droford
12-04-2009, 12:31 AM
I think they could keep the IC and US titles, sort of like how WCW had the US and TV belts and WWF had the IC and Euro Belts. Unify the WWE/Heavyweight belts and the Diva/Women's belts.

Id actually leave ECW or whatever it's gonna be called as the developmental show and keep some of the people who would otherwise be cut on there as "star" power on there.

Theres probably about 10 guys that would get the axe too. *Looking at you Santino!*
I dont think that with 3 shows (RAW,Superstars/Smackdown) they would have much of a problem getting most of the people on the roster regular matches should they deserve it.

DAMN iNATOR
12-04-2009, 12:39 AM
I dunno, if they left out whatever ECW is to become in 2010, and just unified RAW and SD!, that I could live with.

Why I wouldn't want to see ECW brought into the fold is largely because of the new superstar initiative still very much ongoing, and ultimately I think a ton of new guys would end up getting ignored and/or buried to the point where talent is wasted and the WWE's product becomes even more stale than ever before.

Like you so often say, Heyman, NOT A FLAME - JUST AN OBSERVATION.

KYR
12-04-2009, 12:43 AM
Huh?

You could live with Smackdown (a quality show right now) and RAW (lame) being unified, but you think ECW (a 1 hour program) should remain separate otherwise it will become stale and 'a ton of new guys would end up getting ignored'?

KYR
12-04-2009, 12:44 AM
Unifying RAW and Smackdown! right now would create exactly what you wouldn't want to see.

Heyman
12-04-2009, 01:07 AM
Off the top of my head, here are some things that I think would happen:

1) Title re-unifications (i.e. IC/US title, World/WWE title, Women's/Diva title, etc.)

2) More depth to each of the divisions.

3) Undertaker, Batista, Triple H, HBK, Orton, Cena, and Edge will get a sizeable chunk of the TV time. This will then force mid-card wrestlers to put up or shut up...and in effect, cause a "sink or swim" situation. As previously mentioned, I think guys like CM Punk and The Miz would really thrive in this situation. I think both men would "rise within the ranks", and it would carry more significance due to the added depth of the shows. However - I think guys like John Morrison, etc. will get lost in the shuffle if they don't "step up" their games.

4) Higher overall quality of shows.

5) Not show how this will impact overall revenue. Will a higher quality show lead to higher television ratings and PPV buyrates? (which would then offset the lost revenue of having less house shows and PPV's due to the rosters being combined?).

6) If too many wrestlers get cut in this "sink or swim" situation, would this help a company like TNA way too much?

Droford
12-04-2009, 08:09 AM
But WWE better not release Masters, that would start the ball rolling on the inevitable Masters/Morgan match that no one wants to see...as soon as Masters gets back on the roids again.

Rammsteinmad
12-04-2009, 10:19 AM
Unified rosters would just mean more people for DX to hold down. Seriously, this is partly why I love Smackdown so much more than Raw, because Raw is pretty much the DX Show.

Heyman
12-04-2009, 12:27 PM
Unified rosters would just mean more people for DX to hold down. Seriously, this is partly why I love Smackdown so much more than Raw, because Raw is pretty much the DX Show.

While that probably is true, could one also argue that the teams that actually DO go over DX, would actually be that much more over for it? (i.e. since DX, at that point, would have 'held back' or defeated so many other teams and/or individuals).

While more wrestlers would most certainly get held back, would you agree that those select few that actually make it through the ceiling, would get 'over' about 10x more? (than if they 'got pushed' on non-unified rosters). If that's the case, could this then be an example of QUALITY over QUANTITY? (in terms of who is actually breaking through the glass ceiling). Like I said - While I think lots of guys will get hurt during a roster re-unification (i.e. Morrison? Yoshi?, etc.), some guys will thrive on it (i.e. CM Punk, The Miz, etc.) because them being amongst the 'cream of the crop' will be that much more significant.

XCaliber
12-04-2009, 02:03 PM
With the roster depth the booking would a lot better that's for sure we would same the same crap over and over. At the same time though I think there would be fewer upsets but at the same time there would be less squash type matches. If titles were unified the WHC, US, World Tag, and Divas champ would be the ones to go and the Cruiserweight and possibly the Euro would make a return. With less belts it may make some of the wresters work harder for it resulting in better quality matches. As for ECW it would likely disappear altogether and Superstars would be used to push new talents and guys that aren't that involved in any feuds.

Mr. Nerfect
12-05-2009, 03:33 AM
I do think that it would be harder for guys to break through, but I do agree that when they do it will equate to so much more. CM Punk, John Morrison, Dolph Ziggler and Kofi Kingston would all eventually become "real main eventers" via this method, I believe. I also think that it could mean that guys like The Undertaker, John Cena, Batista and Rey Mysterio could take more time off when their bodies crack under the pressure.

I also think that we'd get more proper tag teams, as the WWE would have too many guys for singles competition. For example: Carlito & Primo would probably find themselves back together again. Ezekiel Jackson & Vladimir Kozlov would probably serve as a real tag team. I could even see Zack Ryder & Curt Hawkins being put back together -- with different looks and clashing personalities.

Hopefully a lot of focus would be put back on the mid-card, as well. Guys like The Miz seem destined for it (not saying that The Miz could not be a main eventer, but he is owning his role as US Champion right now), and with amalgamated rosters, you could find The Miz feuding with guys like John Morrison, Shelton Benjamin and Dolph Ziggler, which could be very, very exciting.

I mean, believe it or not, if we take 2000 as a great year for wrestling -- even though they got shots, guys like Chris Jericho were essentially mid-card acts. There is nothing wrong with that. The mid-card is a fine place to be when it is booked with interest and care. If a star is meant to be created, they will be created.

Theo Dious
12-05-2009, 06:49 AM
If the rosters were unified the main event scene would immediately become even more stale than it is, a huge chunk of the undercard would be unemployed, and more main event stars would go down to injury due to an increased workload.

Rammsteinmad
12-07-2009, 01:34 AM
While that probably is true, could one also argue that the teams that actually DO go over DX, would actually be that much more over for it? (i.e. since DX, at that point, would have 'held back' or defeated so many other teams and/or individuals).

While more wrestlers would most certainly get held back, would you agree that those select few that actually make it through the ceiling, would get 'over' about 10x more? (than if they 'got pushed' on non-unified rosters). If that's the case, could this then be an example of QUALITY over QUANTITY? (in terms of who is actually breaking through the glass ceiling). Like I said - While I think lots of guys will get hurt during a roster re-unification (i.e. Morrison? Yoshi?, etc.), some guys will thrive on it (i.e. CM Punk, The Miz, etc.) because them being amongst the 'cream of the crop' will be that much more significant.

Yes, they would get over more by your theory, but in all fairness nobody 'goes over' DX anymore. Someone can get a win at a PPV, but then DX will get the win at the next PPV, ending the rivalry and coming out as the overall winners. Doesn't work for me. :nono:

If DX really wanted to put someone over, they should lose at a PPV, then lose at the next PPV and just kinda accept that their in over their heads this time. Do you honestly see Trips and HBK doing that?