View Single Post
Old 11-05-2014, 10:33 PM   #412
El Capitano Gatisto
World Class Raconteur

El Capitano Gatisto makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)El Capitano Gatisto makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)El Capitano Gatisto makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)El Capitano Gatisto makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)El Capitano Gatisto makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)El Capitano Gatisto makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)El Capitano Gatisto makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)El Capitano Gatisto makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)El Capitano Gatisto makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)El Capitano Gatisto makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)El Capitano Gatisto makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)El Capitano Gatisto makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)El Capitano Gatisto makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalyx triaD View Post
I don't like the movie and sub-genre so I would be in agreement with those critics. What I didn't see is them ascribing themes to those movies where they knew wasn't intended. Imagine making an observation in Saw 5 pertaining to how hospitals should widen admissions to mental health patients. Not a bad thought per se, but ridiculous when your subject is fucking Saw 5.
Funny that you mention that, I did a course on mental illness in film. It analysed depictions of the mentally ill and mental health professions in film. That sort of thing is actually what I'm talking about, the idea being that films (and other media) reinforcing the same themes, stereotypes, tropes and cliches over and over again informs how people see reality. The implication being that films contribute to a fear of the mentally ill and to an out-dated view of the mental health profession.

Which is all very interesting and I like to hear people talk about it. If a reviewer feels subjects like that are important then they should talk about it. The artistic value of the work they talk about is largely irrelevant if people watch it.
El Capitano Gatisto is offline   Reply With Quote