View Full Version : NBA 2010 Off Season Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Skippord
06-22-2010, 03:37 AM
the NBA is now in it's off season

proceed to discuss what you think will happen in this NBA off season

Juan
06-22-2010, 03:44 AM
Tracy McGrady would like to sign with the 2010 NBA champion Lakers, and has forwarded that sentiment to his agent and close colleagues, according to sources within the Lakers' front office.

Tracy McGrady, a perennial All-Star and two-time NBA Scoring champion, has undergone a significant hit to his reputation after failed stints in Toronto, Orlando, and Houston. To date, McGrady has not gone past the first-round in the NBA playoffs.

After having battled various knee and back injuries in the past couple years, Tracy McGrady has been working himself back into shape under the strenuous regimen of esteemed athletic trainer Tim Grover. Now that he has finished his physical rehabilitation program, McGrady is feeling rejuvenated enough to make a return in the 2010-2011 NBA season.

Despite having limited intentions to use the Mid-Level Exception this summer, Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak would consider pulling the trigger on the seven-time All-Star swingman should he accept a paycut at the MLE. Ron Artest, the defensive-minded role player who played a huge factor in this year's Lakers-Celtics NBA Finals, has reached out to McGrady to "end his career as a champion."

The Lakers are willing to explore a potential reunion of former Houston teammates Ron Artest and Tracy McGrady once the July 1 free agency begins.

In Los Angeles, Tracy McGrady would be asked to come off the bench as a role player, similar to what Lakers' forward Lamar Odom has done in the past two seasons. McGrady would provide the Lakers' bench unit with some offensive firepower and stability, and be another deadly weapon in the already loaded Lakers' arsenal.

Most importantly, the acquisition of Tracy McGrady would address the important need for a secondary slasher besides Kobe Bryant. As advocated by Laker great Jerry West, "I think they do need some changes. If you look, they have some free agents that are coming up but the thing that would most concern me is I think they need someone else other than Kobe Bryant getting in the lane."

Moreover, unlike former teams in which he was asked to carry the team throughout the entire season, Tracy McGrady understands that a potential role with the Lakers would not require such an emotionally draining position of leadership. McGrady has tremendous respect for the reigning Finals MVP Kobe Bryant, and has made it known that he would gladly accept a lesser role to play alongside whom he considers the best basketball player in the world.

As expressed by one high-ranked official within the Lakers' management, should Tracy McGrady not return to the New York Knicks next season or spurn retirement, "expect the deal to get done by end of July."

alvarado52
06-22-2010, 04:50 AM
read about that, i'd love to have T-Mac off the bench. If we can land him and a solid forward/center backup like Shaq or Ben Wallace, i like our chances.

Also, dunno how big Laker fans here are on Javaris Crittenton, but he's on our summer league roster. I personally like his game and he's a tall PG.

Juan
06-22-2010, 04:54 AM
I had high hopes for Crittenton before the Gasol trade, so i'm totally up for bringing him back. Dunno how I feel about him after that whole gun incident in Washington though.

RoXer
06-22-2010, 05:01 AM
It wasn't too long ago where a team of Shaq/Kobe/Tmac/Big Ben would only be available in a fantasy league

RoXer
06-22-2010, 05:02 AM
Please tell me the Lakers are keeping Adam Morrison

Juan
06-22-2010, 05:25 AM
I hope so

Juan
06-22-2010, 05:25 AM
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6BJEl1ylNkg&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6BJEl1ylNkg&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Jeritron
06-22-2010, 05:31 AM
Shocked there hasn't been a Lebron post yet

Emperor Smeat
06-22-2010, 09:49 PM
The Chris Paul bidding war might end up more "chaotic" and interesting than the Lebron sweepstakes since every team has a chance with Paul while Lebron would only be willing to go to a few teams. Hornets don't want to trade him but some of the potential offers are too tempting to ignore.

Warriors start their annual salary dump by trading away Corey Maggette and a 2nd Round pick for Charlie Bell and Dan Gadzuric.

RP
06-22-2010, 11:47 PM
If there is a God, Larry Bird will get off his ass and unload all these huge expiring contracts, plus TJ ford and the 10th pick for Chris Paul. MAKE THIS FUCKING SHIT HAPPEN BIRD. DO SOMETHING!

Juan
06-23-2010, 02:54 AM
The Los Angeles Lakers and guard Raja Bell(notes) will enter free agency with a strong mutual interest to reach agreement on a deal, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

Kobe Bryant(notes) has become a strong advocate for Bell, a former nemesis. After missing most of the season with surgery to repair ligaments in his non-shooting wrist, Bell is still expected to be a coveted bench player among contending teams. He could give the Lakers another strong perimeter defender and a solid outside shooting threat.

Bell, 33, was dealt to the Golden State Warriors in November as part of the Stephen Jackson(notes) trade with the Charlotte Bobcats. Bell missed all but six games last season.

Bell famously dropped Bryant with a clothesline foul in the 2006 playoffs, but the two developed a mutual respect and bond. Bell was ejected and suspended a game for the foul, and complained about Bryant’s tactics in the postgame news conference.

“It’s a personal thing when someone continually hits you in the face,” Bell said at the time. “That’s the only way I can put it. I’ve been playing as hard as I can play. I’ve been trying to do a good job, I’ve been trying to be what my team needs me to be, and I continually get hit in my face. There doesn’t seem to be any boundaries or limitations for what he’s allowed to do to me, and at that point, I kind of lost my cool and I took it into my own hands.”

Bell made a league-high 205 3-pointers in the 2006-07 season for the Suns under coach Mike D’Antoni, but his role changed the next season under Terry Porter and he was eventually shipped to Charlotte. Bell averaged 13 points in 45 games for the Bobcats in the 2008-09 season.

Dunno how I feel about this

RP
06-23-2010, 04:54 AM
A sticking point in some of the discussions is the Pacers' reluctance to trade Brandon Rush and Josh McRoberts. Bird doesn't want to give up on the inconsistent Rush. They also don't want to take on long-term contracts of players who don't fit into their future plans.

FUCK YOU LARRY BIRD! YOU STUPID FUCKING SHIT!

RP
06-23-2010, 04:56 AM
Fuck it. I know you're going to do it Larry. Go ahead and draft Gordon Hayward. Everyone see's this from a mile. And btw, i was going to get season tickets, but not now. I dont trust this fucking tard to spend all this free agency money right next season. I dont trust Larry Bird to do anything right. Worst GM in the league by far.

RP
06-23-2010, 05:33 AM
IT'S STILL REAL TO ME DAMMIT!

Juan
06-23-2010, 06:29 AM
Bird should build around Granger and Hibbert

RP
06-23-2010, 06:37 AM
Yah. For sure. Granger is outstanding tbh. I often find myself trashing him because the rest of the team sucks bad. And honestly, Hibbert is potentially an all star center. He's got a ton of talent. If he fixes his foul situation, he could be the best center indiana has ever had.

One problem though. Bird cant even build a tent, let alone a basketball team. He's got the 10th pick, a ton of expiring contracts and potentially a lot of money next season for free agents ( depending on what trades he might make this year ). Seems like a situation that cant be fucked up, but i'm betting he'll find away.

RP
06-23-2010, 06:40 AM
I miss Dale Davis. Indiana has no one like him. Dale Davis would give Indiana 10 pnts, 10 rebounds, a block or two and he never got in any trouble, but it was pretty well known by everyone in the league that if they fucked with him, he might just cut them right there on the court.

OssMan
06-25-2010, 06:46 PM
Gonna order a World B. Free shirt.

Triple Naitch
06-26-2010, 09:28 AM
Brian Shaw has been given permission to talk to the Cavs about their coaching vacancy. Hopefully Phil makes up his mind soon, as Shaw is supposed to be the heir apparent.

OssMan
06-26-2010, 11:08 AM
dude shaw already plays for the cavs

Juan
06-26-2010, 07:49 PM
Magic May Be Near Deal For Chris Paul
Orlando Would Send Vince Carter, Jameer Nelson To New Orleans

ORLANDO, Fla. -- It is draft night in the NBA, and it seems the Orlando Magic are in the mood to make a deal.
Rumors of New Orleans point guard Chris Paul coming to Orlando for Vince Carter and Jameer Nelson seem to be more real than the Magic are saying.
Local 6 sports director David Pingalore, through his NBA sources, is confirming the deal could be completed as soon as Orlando Magic General Manager Otis Smith finds a third team for Hornets Center Emeka Okafor.
If for some reason that deal does not work, the Magic have a backup plan.

The Chicago Bulls sent Kirk Hinrich to Washington on Thursday, and according to Pingalore's NBA sources, he could be traded with Al Thornton and Randy Foye for Vince Carter.

Continue to follow this developing story on ClickOrlando.com and Local 6 News.

Dragon
06-26-2010, 08:23 PM
The Bulls having enough room for 2 max free agents now (or really close to), really hurts the Knicks. The one advantage they had going into the offseason was they could sign two max guys. Now them, the Bulls and I think the Heat can.

Nark Order
06-27-2010, 01:18 PM
This Kings moving to Seattle deal scares me. Just the thought that I'll eventually have to start cheering for the Warriors or something is sickening.

Nark Order
06-27-2010, 01:25 PM
Really hoping we can integrate Demarcus Cousins well. Looks like another young hot shot on an already ridiculously young team. However, we're in need of a solid imposing big man. He might be the fit.

Reavant
06-27-2010, 06:19 PM
L James to chicago!!!

IC Champion
06-27-2010, 06:24 PM
I'm hearing James to Chicago is a done deal, and I'm hearing Bosh is going to, but they don't have enough space to pay them each 20 mill a year do they?

Jeritron
06-27-2010, 06:28 PM
They will provide them with an I.O.U. That's as good as cash, my friend.

IC Champion
06-27-2010, 06:33 PM
Someone was saying something like James getting 17 million and Bosh getting 14, but why the fuck would Bosh play in Chicago even with James for 10 million less a season he could be getting in Toronto or elsewhere. That's alot of money left on the table for a chance at winning.

Triple Naitch
06-27-2010, 06:51 PM
By trading Hinrich, I think they cleared enough.

Emperor Smeat
06-27-2010, 10:48 PM
The Bulls having enough room for 2 max free agents now (or really close to), really hurts the Knicks. The one advantage they had going into the offseason was they could sign two max guys. Now them, the Bulls and I think the Heat can.

If Knicks fail to get Lebron, it might end up as the biggest blunder of the last 10 years (or at least the post-Jordan era) since all they have been doing for the past 2-3 years is prepare cap space to stock up on big names. They literally gave up on a few seasons even before they started to just be a contender in the Lebron sweepstakes.

Would also be a bit awkward for Lebron to go to Chicago when he made it his personal mission to beat and embarrass Washington (1st team to prevent problems in playoffs) and Chicago (revenge against Jordan's Bulls stopping the Cavs in the late 1990s).

alvarado52
06-27-2010, 11:04 PM
I really think the Knicks have the least chance to get LeBron. I never understood why they put themselves in a position when LeBron never really expressed too much interest in them.

McLegend
06-27-2010, 11:06 PM
Lebron would be very instered in the knicks if they didn't suck.

alvarado52
06-27-2010, 11:07 PM
Someone was saying something like James getting 17 million and Bosh getting 14, but why the fuck would Bosh play in Chicago even with James for 10 million less a season he could be getting in Toronto or elsewhere. That's alot of money left on the table for a chance at winning.

you know what trips me out? If he got payed 7 million for ONE year, odds are he would be set for life (if he made the right decisions).

Its crazy when you realize how fickle pro players are when it comes to this sort of thing.

alvarado52
06-27-2010, 11:11 PM
i remember when Arenas signed his deal, and it was around 20 million less than would he could have signed for, and his response was 'what can i do with 120 million that i couldnt with 100?'

And its true.

McLegend
06-27-2010, 11:15 PM
Lebron would be very instered in the knicks if they didn't suck.

He probably still is a little interested though.

Juan
06-27-2010, 11:41 PM
Even if the Knicks don't land LeBronze, they can still build a pretty good team that will undoubtedly be better than last years team and maybe even make the playoffs.

Skippord
06-28-2010, 12:12 AM
I hope LeBron and Bosh go to the same place so I can call them LeBosh

IC Champion
06-28-2010, 12:15 AM
you know what trips me out? If he got payed 7 million for ONE year, odds are he would be set for life (if he made the right decisions).

Its crazy when you realize how fickle pro players are when it comes to this sort of thing.

Do you know how many pro-athletes go broke after there careers, and some before it ends. I know 100 million is alot to you and me, but when you own $500,000 cars, and 5 million dollar homes, and spend 75,000 a month on expenses, that shit adds up.

But yes, I understand what you are saying, but who is gonna leave that kind of money on the table?

Dragon
06-28-2010, 02:07 AM
Even if the Knicks don't land LeBronze, they can still build a pretty good team that will undoubtedly be better than last years team and maybe even make the playoffs.

Yeah, no matter what they are most likely improving this offseason. Kind of hard not to considering what they've been like for a while now.

Apparently their first meetings are with Joe Johnson and Amare. So I'm sure they're ready for if LeBron and Bosh make their decisions and go elsewhere. I can't see them striking out on all the bigger names. Obviously as a Knick fan landing LeBron/Bosh would be amazing but I know how unlikely that is.

Even though Johnson and Amare aren't on the same level it'd still be a big boost to this team obviously.

Can't wait til these next few days are over though. Tired of hearing all these rumors and "inside information" about everything without any real evidence.

Dragon
06-28-2010, 02:16 AM
Although I've heard the Knicks would offer JJ a max contract. Don't really think he's worth it but nothing would surprise me if they miss out on LeBron and Bosh. They're gonna get desperate pretty quick.

Jesus Shuttlesworth
06-29-2010, 12:57 PM
LeBron, Bosh & Wade all meeting together according to SportCenter...imagine if they all went to the Heat?

Innovator
06-29-2010, 01:14 PM
It'd be ridiculous, Heat would dominate for at least 6 years.

Juan
06-29-2010, 04:09 PM
With or without LeBron James, Brian Shaw will coach the Cleveland Cavaliers.

A source told FanHouse the Lakers assistant is finalizing a deal to join the Cavaliers just one day before James' much-anticipated free agency begins. Shaw was a finalist with former New Orleans and New Jersey coach Byron Scott after Michigan State coach Tom Izzo declined the team's offer earlier this month.

More to come...

McLegend
06-29-2010, 04:11 PM
That might be a mistake.

McLegend
06-29-2010, 04:12 PM
O it's Brian Shaw and not Byron Scott. Nevermind

Good luck there.

alvarado52
06-29-2010, 06:05 PM
http://www.nba.com/bulls/news/smith_100628.html

The Lakers also are expected to enter the picture with a bid for Bosh as it became clear in the Finals they need more scoring. And you can be sure they don’t want to see a LeBron/Bosh pairing in Chicago with Rose and Noah to go against. The Raptors would like to get something in a sign-and-trade for Bosh, but they likely won’t deal him in the East. The Lakers are expected to offer Andrew Bynum, a legitimate low post center, and Lamar Odom, and take back Jarrett Jack, whom the Raptors would like to move.

From the Bulls website, so i wouldnt say its super credible, but this is a rather dumb trade if it were to go down. Bosh is Pau Gasol without the low post scoring, and Jack isnt any type of player we couldnt get off free agency.

Juan
06-29-2010, 06:15 PM
I'd rather give up Odom than Bynum

McLegend
06-29-2010, 06:23 PM
I'd rather give up Bynum. Odom is much more of matchup problem.

Juan
06-29-2010, 06:40 PM
A matchup problem that shows up when he feels like it. Don't get me wrong, I love Odom, but if push came to shove, I'd deal him before Bynum.

IC Champion
06-29-2010, 06:47 PM
Yeah I don't know how accurate that is, being that the Raptors want to keep Jack who makes around 4 million and get rid of Calderon whos making about 8 million. The Raptors certainly dont want to move Jack as he's a bargain. I wouldn't do it for just Bynum either, he's injury prone and hasn't really had a healthy full season, that would concern me. However Odom makes the deal a bit easier to make, but I would still be hesitant.

Also, the Lakers would get bullied with Bosh and Gasol in the front court. Bosh is a bitch who let Pierce punk him. Not to mention he has no low post game at all. He's a PF would plays like a SF without as much speed or the shooting range.

IC Champion
06-29-2010, 06:49 PM
Though, if Bynum is healthy, he would be good paired up with Bargagni as they would provide the other with spacing. Something that hurt the raps with season with two bigs who play the perimeter.

DaveWadding
06-29-2010, 06:53 PM
KHLOE AND LAMAR TAKE TORONTO

IC Champion
06-29-2010, 06:58 PM
Honestly, I would hate to be the team that offers Bosh a max contract. He had more talent on his team than some other ones that made the playoffs, and didnt make it and they were certainly more talented than the Bulls. He's just not a winner, he doesnt play defense very well and doesn't seem overly committed to either.

Whoever pays him 20 plus million a year is setting their franchise back. I am glad to see him go. Sure the stats are there, but numbers don't always tell the whole story.

Juan
06-30-2010, 07:00 AM
Straight from the horse's mouth

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4r_XQrmGlgE&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4r_XQrmGlgE&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Juan
06-30-2010, 07:02 AM
Straight from the Worm's mouth (@ about 1:30)

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-sTlxfIEx2I&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-sTlxfIEx2I&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

ClockShot
06-30-2010, 08:17 AM
Paul Pierce is opting out of his deal.

Going to be a crazy day tomorrow.

Emperor Smeat
06-30-2010, 03:28 PM
Might be a bit of a stretch but does it seem like the main free agents are doing something similar to collusion where they try to determine where all the top and middle tier free agents will play for next year?

Not sure if its ever occurred before in the NBA where a small chunk of free agents meet with each other to determine where they play and then try to get others to go on certain teams (like Wade telling Boozer to choose Heat when Wade is unsure if he will even be on the team).

Maybe its different when players do it than teams since MLB got in trouble in the past for "fixing" where certain players landed in free agency either because owners agreed to push a player out of a division or some other reason.

alvarado52
06-30-2010, 03:54 PM
i think its a different scenario with players than teams because no player is going to sign anywhere because another said to. I'd understand them signing to play with someone to contend for a title, but nobody is gonna sign if the star of the team isnt even sure if he'll sign.

With the exception of some teams/free agents that are already contenders (Lakers, Celts, Magic), free agency this year is just gonna be a domino effect, with LeBron being the first domino.

IC Champion
06-30-2010, 03:59 PM
It's ridiculous, all of this over a man who hasn't even won a Finals game, let alone a championship.

Dragon
06-30-2010, 04:09 PM
Can't imagine LeBron going to Miami and playing second fiddle to Wade for the next however many years. Not with his ego as big as it is.

IC Champion
06-30-2010, 04:11 PM
I think it would be Wade playing second fiddle to LeBron if anything, otherwise I couldn't see Lebron going there.

Juan
06-30-2010, 04:15 PM
So sick of LeBron James

alvarado52
06-30-2010, 04:20 PM
Yknow, his fans used to be what bothered me. The fact that physically he's gifted but relys on that over furthering his skillset is something i can understand. As my pal Steven says, the guy is the best running back in the NBA.

What bothers me now though is the fact that this guy thinks he's a basketball god. You gotta figure he's gotten attention from Slam magazine and the media since he was 15, so he probably isnt the most humble guy around, but walking around with an 'LBJ MVP' shirt a couple years back, really?

Calling yourself the 'ring leader' in free agency, seriously? And rather than just staying quiet during the Finals (where players play for what really matters) dude is accepting Larry King interviews to talk about himself.

DaveWadding
06-30-2010, 04:25 PM
Yes, Kobe Bryant is perfect in every way. We know.

Juan
06-30-2010, 04:26 PM
lol what the fuck does this have to do with Kobe?

alvarado52
06-30-2010, 04:26 PM
Wadding, seriously, stop trolling. Nobody said anything about Kobe Bryant. Now go away and watch your Suns try to sign Amar'e Stoudamire so they have the same team that loses every year.

Juan
06-30-2010, 04:28 PM
This happens every time alvarado or I say something negative about LeBron. Someone always has to throw Kobe's name in the mix

DaveWadding
06-30-2010, 04:29 PM
All you care about is justifying to yourselves that the NBA player that YOU like is better than the NBA player other people like. It's fucking ridiculous.

Juan
06-30-2010, 04:29 PM
All you care about is justifying to yourselves that the NBA player that YOU like is better than the NBA player other people like. It's fucking ridiculous.

If that's really what you think this is about, I kinda feel bad for you, mate.

alvarado52
06-30-2010, 04:30 PM
You wanna know who my favorite NBA player is? Dwight Howard. Shocking, right? That i enjoy the SPORT? That my fav player isnt on the Lakers? My SECOND fave isnt even on the Lakers (Chris Paul).

Stop trolling Wadding.

Juan
06-30-2010, 04:30 PM
New Rule: If you're a Kobe fan, you're not allowed to say anything negative about LeBron James.

alvarado52
06-30-2010, 04:33 PM
Wadding, you bring up Kobe more than Juan and I combined.

DaveWadding
06-30-2010, 04:33 PM
http://photos.imageevent.com/alexmophotos/random/LeBronLakers.jpg

If this were the case, neither of you would EVER cry about LeBron.

Juan
06-30-2010, 04:34 PM
If that's really what you think this is about, I kinda feel bad for you, mate.

alvarado52
06-30-2010, 04:36 PM
Seriously David Wadding, do you even READ the posts in the NBA threads? I still shit on Kobe forcing up shots, and he's won use championships and games based on his skills...what makes you think i wouldnt logically break down LeBron, even if it was a purple and gold jersey he was wearing.

DaveWadding
06-30-2010, 04:38 PM

Straight from the horse's mouth

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4r_XQrmGlgE&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4r_XQrmGlgE&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Straight from the Worm's mouth (@ about 1:30)

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-sTlxfIEx2I&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-sTlxfIEx2I&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

alvarado52
06-30-2010, 04:38 PM
Way to break up an intelligent basketball conversation with basketball fans Wadding. Now apologize to IC, Smelly Meatball, McLegend, Juan, and I.

Juan
06-30-2010, 04:40 PM
I've said the same thing to him plenty of times, alva. He just doesn't get it. He thinks just because we're Laker fans that anything we say is blinded by our love for Kobe.

Juan
06-30-2010, 04:41 PM
lol i knew someone was gonna take those videos to heart.

Juan
06-30-2010, 04:44 PM
I figured it was gonna be Dave or Narc that threw those videos back in my face.

DaveWadding
06-30-2010, 04:50 PM

Search: Keyword(s): kobe, mamba ; Posts Made By: DaveWadding ; Forum: sports forum and child forums

Showing results 1 to 25 of 38

Search: Keyword(s): kobe, mamba ; Posts Made By: Juan ; Forum: sports forum and child forums

Showing results 1 to 25 of 92

Search: Keyword(s): kobe, mamba ; Posts Made By: alvarado52 ; Forum: sports forum and child forums

Showing results 1 to 19 of 19

111 > 38. So, maybe you're wrong.

Juan
06-30-2010, 04:51 PM
lol @ you actually looking that shit up. Hope you feel better now.

DaveWadding
06-30-2010, 04:53 PM
it's a better use of my time than crying about some player on another team who has never actually done anything worth crying about.

IC Champion
06-30-2010, 04:55 PM
I don't give a fuck about any player being better. I'm just sick of hearing about LeBron, and where Lebron is gonnna go even before his team was eliminated from the play offs.

Juan
06-30-2010, 04:57 PM
it's a better use of my time than crying about some player on another team who has never actually done anything worth crying about.

That's the thing about opinions Dave Wadding. I can have an opinion about Lebron James and, here's the thing that might surprise you, said opinion has NOTHING to do with Kobe Bryant. Shocking, I know.

I don't get why that is such a hard concept for you to grasp.

IC Champion
06-30-2010, 04:59 PM
LOL, now you're just appealing to logic Jaun, that would be assuming that Wadding is logical in the first place.

DaveWadding
06-30-2010, 05:00 PM
Then what the fuck is the point in posting videos about how Kobe is better? if your opinion of LeBron has NOTHING to do with Kobe, then why do you bother in enforcing the opinion that it does?

Juan
06-30-2010, 05:01 PM
I posted the videos because I knew it would incite the Kobe haters. Check mate.

DaveWadding
06-30-2010, 05:02 PM
lol yep, I am totally incited.

Juan
06-30-2010, 05:03 PM
Could have fooled me.

DaveWadding
06-30-2010, 05:06 PM
You know who I'm sick of hearing about? Brian Scalabrine.

So you know what I'm going to do? I'm going to bitch, whine and complain about Brian fucking Scalabrine until everyone is not only sick of Brian fucking Scalabrine, but of everyone complaining about Brian Scalabrine!

Juan
06-30-2010, 05:07 PM
Flawless logic.

DaveWadding
I'm glad you think so. Because I borrowed it from you.

OssMan
brian scalabrine was the worst rated player in NBA Live from like 2004

alvarado52
06-30-2010, 05:08 PM
Waaaaaading. Waaaaaading. Waaaaaaaading.

IC Champion
06-30-2010, 05:09 PM
Wadding you don't help yourself at all when you try and use reason, just continue to mindlessly post, and incite anger. :p

Juan
06-30-2010, 05:10 PM
I'm glad you think so. Because I borrowed it from you.

lol cleaerly. Since, aside from the videos. I've made one maybe two comments about Lebron James in this whole thread.

alvarado52
06-30-2010, 05:11 PM
Wadding you don't help yourself at all when you try and use reason, just continue to mindlessly post, and incite anger. :p

the funny thing is that i think he angers himself. He comes into the thread with his 'kobe sucks and you guys love kobe because you talk about other players in a negative manor' logic, thinking its gonna piss someone off.

In truth, all he does is open the door for everyone to laugh at him and give him shit. Counter-productive if you ask me.

DaveWadding
06-30-2010, 05:12 PM
+/- 40 posts

IC Champion
06-30-2010, 05:13 PM
Wadding can't honestly beleive Kobe sucks, he can't be that retarded.

Jeritron
06-30-2010, 05:14 PM
Obviously they talk more shit on Lebron because they're LA fans and feel compelled to defend Kobe against him. It makes sense, since the two are constantly compared and it's a bit of a rivalry/hot issue.
I'm sure I have more to say about how much better Tom Brady is than Peyton Manning, as a Patriots fan, than an Arizona Cardinals fan would.
Policing them for it isn't any better Wadding.

DaveWadding
06-30-2010, 05:15 PM
But Jerry, what about Brian Scalabrine?

Dragon
06-30-2010, 05:16 PM
I think it would be Wade playing second fiddle to LeBron if anything, otherwise I couldn't see Lebron going there.

If LeBron goes to Miami its still gonna be Wade's team. Thats why I doubt he's going there.

Juan
I don't think I talk "more" shit about LeBron than anyone else in this thread. Like i said, aside from the videos, I've made like 2 comments about Lebron in this thread. It's just easier to call me out on it because I'm a Lakers fan, when in reality, I would be saying the same thing about him even if I was a Memphis Grizzlies fan.

Jeritron
But Jerry, what about Brian Scalabrine?

He's better than Jordan. Get over it

alvarado52
06-30-2010, 05:17 PM
its not even 'defending' Kobe, because LeBron hasnt accomplished what Kobe has. Will he? Who knows, its very possible.

If someone came up to me and said 'Kobe forces up bad shots and trys to carry his team too much at times', i'd agree...i wouldnt defend that statement because its true.

But i get what youre saying Jeritron.

alvarado52
06-30-2010, 05:18 PM
the fact of the matter is, Wadding brings no logic into the conversation/debate/whatever. He just comes in and randomly accuses Laker fans of hating LeBron because he's not a Laker, or because Kobe Bryant.

Jeritron
06-30-2010, 05:21 PM
I don't think I talk "more" shit about LeBron than anyone else in this thread. It's just easier to call me out on it because I'm a Lakers fan, when in reality, I would be saying the same thing about him even if I was a Memphis Grizzlies fan.

Well true. I can't stand Lebron too. I'm just mentioning that you guys have the Kobe allegiance too, and that whole thing has definitely become a topic of debate. I have no clue why, though. It's so clear that Kobe is in every way better at this point that it blows my mind to hear people argue it.

I also kind of can't stand the whole "who is the next Jordan?" thing. It's as if Michael Jordan is the end-all be-all of basketball. Is he the greatest player ever? Yes, probably, but the fact that he's a generational icon is a huge part of that too.
He was the face of basketball and still is. He was like Babe Ruth. I think the hunt is on to find the next pop-culture icon and Nike/McDonalds/Gatorade juggernaut more than it is to crown the greatest player.
There were great players before Jordan that are arguably as good or better than him. Nobody's talking about the next Wilt Chamberlain, Dr. J, Bill Russell, Magic or Bird etc.
I think it's more of a media creation than anything.

With that being said, it is my opinion that Kobe Bryant is the best player in the world atm

IC Champion
06-30-2010, 05:23 PM
I don't think I talk "more" shit about LeBron than anyone else in this thread. Like i said, aside from the videos, I've made like 2 comments about Lebron in this thread. It's just easier to call me out on it because I'm a Lakers fan, when in reality, I would be saying the same thing about him even if I was a Memphis Grizzlies fan.

I'm not even saying anything bad about LeBron, I'm just tired of the media and all the sports channels fawning over July 1st and LeBron James. They've been doing it for months now. Will he stay, or will he go? New York, or Miami. I hope tonight at 12:01 he holds a conference and makes an announcement so everyone will shut up about what The King is gonna do.

Jeritron
06-30-2010, 05:24 PM
If I was a Lakers/Kobe fan, and I had to constantly hear about Lebron, I would probably hate him even more

Jeritron
06-30-2010, 05:25 PM
I'm not even saying anything bad about LeBron, I'm just tired of the media and all the sports channels fawning over July 1st and LeBron James. They've been doing it for months now. Will he stay, or will he go? New York, or Miami. I hope tonight at 12:01 he holds a conference and makes an announcement so everyone will shut up about what The King is gonna do.

He will milk it for as long as possible because he cares more about the attention than where he ultimately goes/winning

IC Champion
06-30-2010, 05:26 PM
I know, that's I said I was hoping. :-\

alvarado52
06-30-2010, 05:27 PM
Like Jeri said, part of MJ's title is his iconic status. Space Jam, 'I Wanna Be Like Mike' commercials, being in Micheal Jackson music videos, etc etc....the dude was the face of the NBA, both on and off the court.

I think that's what the NBA and media are hoping they have in the form of LeBron Hames.

IC Champion
06-30-2010, 05:29 PM
LeBron was focused on ball and not july 1st, maybe his team would have gotten pass the second round.

Jeritron
06-30-2010, 05:29 PM
They've pegged Lebron James as that since before he ever set foot on an NBA court. It was a mass-media plan. They wanted the next Michael Jordan, and they decided they would hype him as that.
It was huge for them. Ultimately though, he doesn't fit the bill. The "next _____" has to happen naturally. Trying to force something like that on everyone is like fitting a square peg into a round hole

Juan
06-30-2010, 05:31 PM
Here's another video for you, Dave Wadding

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Vg9MNYYY97w&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Vg9MNYYY97w&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

IC Champion
06-30-2010, 05:38 PM
They've pegged Lebron James as that since before he ever set foot on an NBA court. It was a mass-media plan. They wanted the next Michael Jordan, and they decided they would hype him as that.
It was huge for them. Ultimately though, he doesn't fit the bill. The "next _____" has to happen naturally. Trying to force something like that on everyone is like fitting a square peg into a round hole

Couldn't agree with you more.

His highschool games were televised nationally for fuck sakes.

Emperor Smeat
06-30-2010, 05:55 PM
To be fair I believe that was around the same time ESPN managed to get rights to show high school games live so he ended up being "hot" at the right time and place to debut with their new coverage. ESPN does it a lot more with high school football and mostly on ESPN U (not sure if CBS does the same on their other sports channels).

They still show high school boys and girls basketball games but mostly on their U channel.

DaveWadding
06-30-2010, 06:09 PM
To change the subject, if I'm the Suns, here's what I'm doing:

1. HIRE KEVIN PRITCHARD
2. Call New York at midnight offer them Amar'e's freshly inked max contract for David Lee (new deal approx. 5/65-75), Eddy Curry's expiring contract, and a 1st round pick.
3. Resign Channing Frye (and Lou Amundson I guess)
4. Wait until next summer when Curry and J-Rich's big contracts expire
5. Make run at Melo/Durant next summer

alvarado52
06-30-2010, 06:10 PM
Melo? Why? It would just be more offense and no defense.

Juan
06-30-2010, 06:11 PM
Grant Hill is their defensive anchor.

IC Champion
06-30-2010, 06:11 PM
LOL, no one is signing with the Suns. Steve Nash only went there cause he was discarded by Cuban. And they drafted Amar'e. Who the fuck wants to play in the dessert.

McLegend
06-30-2010, 06:13 PM
You wanna know who my favorite NBA player is? Dwight Howard. Shocking, right? That i enjoy the SPORT? That my fav player isnt on the Lakers? My SECOND fave isnt even on the Lakers (Chris Paul).

Stop trolling Wadding.

lol at you thinking Lebron James is overrated, but yet your favorite player is an even more overrated player then Lebron James.

alvarado52
06-30-2010, 06:15 PM
by no means do i think Dwight isnt overrated. He is, like LeBron, a physically gifted athlete. UNLIKE LeBron, he isnt sucking his own cock. He actually admits his faults and trys to get better by practice.

I like old-school Centers, something sorely missing in todays NBA, and Dwight is very much old school in that sense.

DaveWadding
06-30-2010, 06:20 PM
Melo? Why? It would just be more offense and no defense.

Honestly, I just want Pritchard, Lee and the cap flexibility.

McLegend
06-30-2010, 06:25 PM
by no means do i think Dwight isnt overrated. He is, like LeBron, a physically gifted athlete. UNLIKE LeBron, he isnt sucking his own cock. He actually admits his faults and trys to get better by practice.

I like old-school Centers, something sorely missing in todays NBA, and Dwight is very much old school in that sense.

There is nothing old-School about Dwight Howard. Pau Gasol is more old school and better then Dwight Howard.

Also it's not like Dwight Howard has improved his offensive game tremendously over the last few years. So I don't get how you can make that practice statement. I'm sure Lebron James practices a lot. Now should he practice more like should he be practicing Post moves with Hakeem in the offseason?

Yes he should, but so should Dwight Howard.

McLegend
06-30-2010, 06:26 PM
And after the post I see the Dwight Howard did work with Hakeem all ready this year. So that's a step in the right direction.

DaveBrawl
06-30-2010, 06:54 PM
I like old-school Centers, something sorely missing in todays NBA

Glad to see I'm not the only one that misses that.

CSL
06-30-2010, 09:41 PM
So how fast is any LeBron deal likely to happen? Know jack shit about basketball really.

Triple Naitch
06-30-2010, 10:24 PM
Technically, he can't sign on the dotted line for another week but he can reach a verbal agreement with any team any time after 12:01 tonight. Realistically it will probably take him at least 2 weeks to weigh all of his options before deciding.

Emperor Smeat
06-30-2010, 10:30 PM
Bosh is mostly likely of the Big 3 to sign with a team 1st since he already hinted it won't work out well if he goes to Miami with Wade and doesn't really like being talked as a "pawn" and not legit free agent.

Wade wants to see what the Heat do before making a decision (like getting Boozer or not) while Lebron is going to ride the Lebron sweepstakes until he gets to see where the rest of the free agents go.

Not surprised Joe Johnson would be the 1st middle-tier free agent to sign since he's shown in the past to go where ever the money is even if the team sucks at the time.

Innovator
06-30-2010, 11:38 PM
wooo 22 minutes until joe johnson and carlos boozer!

DaveWadding
06-30-2010, 11:43 PM
wooo 22 minutes until joe johnson and carlos boozer!

Be more hopeful. Joe Johnson and Amar'e.

Evil Vito
06-30-2010, 11:49 PM
<font color=goldenrod>I'm pretty certain LeBron's already made up his mind. Who knows how long before a verbal agreement will leak though.</font>

Crimson
07-01-2010, 12:05 AM
ESPN with the countdown lol. It's not like players are gonna start signing like if it was a live draft

Crimson
07-01-2010, 12:06 AM
"And with the first choice in the 2010 NFL Free agency..Lebron James chooses..the Cleveland Cavaliers"

Dragon
07-01-2010, 12:23 AM
And the first free agent the Knicks will meet with...Mike Miller.

Dragon
07-01-2010, 01:03 AM
LeBron apparently gonna make his decision by July 5th. Only four days of drama.

Jeritron
07-01-2010, 03:19 AM
Only if you tune into ESPN. Thankfully I don't, so I can no sell this from here on out. Although tonight the panel started up brief chatter about Lebron on MLB Network. It made me sick.

After this, the sports media will probably pick up on Favre bullshit. Don't get me started on that.

Skippord
07-01-2010, 03:24 AM
which MLB Network guys?

Nark Order
07-01-2010, 03:33 AM
King James should go to the fucking Kings!

Jeritron
07-01-2010, 03:43 AM
which MLB Network guys?

The MLB Tonight panel. I think Ken Rosenthal started it and Harold Reynolds and Vaskirgan played along

Skippord
07-01-2010, 03:46 AM
I blame Dan Plesac

Jeritron
07-01-2010, 03:50 AM
If Mitch Williams were there he wouldn't have stood for it. They don't fuck around when Mitch Williams is in studio

Skippord
07-01-2010, 04:25 AM
Mitch Williams will not hesitate to throw a fastball at Harold Reynolds' head

DaveWadding
07-01-2010, 04:51 AM
I blame Greg Amsinger and Matt Yaloff

Triple Naitch
07-01-2010, 08:28 AM
It's all the guy who used to be on Best Damn Sports Show's fault.

Skippord
07-01-2010, 09:31 AM
I don't know about that, Hazell Mae had to have some effect on the proceedings

Innovator
07-01-2010, 09:43 AM
I'm holding out hope for Lebron but I don't think it will happen:

-IF he doesn't want to play in Chicago and be compared to Jordan the rest of his career.

-IF he doesn't want to be "1 of 3" with Wade and Bosh

-He wants to play in the greatest arena ever built.

-He wants to make the Knicks watchable.

-That's a lot of things.

Evil Vito
07-01-2010, 10:02 AM
<font color=goldenrod>He'll probably just stay in Cleveland, rendering the last several years of 2010 free agent class discussion a waste of time.</font>

Innovator
07-01-2010, 10:08 AM
That'd be the biggest blue balls in Free Agency history.

Loose Cannon
07-01-2010, 10:10 AM
I have kind of thrown in the towel on the Knicks doing anything. looking foward to 10 more years of shit.

Joe Johnson is not worth what he'll get. Same with Boozer.

Innovator
07-01-2010, 10:23 AM
After the Reggie Miller 30 for 30, I started watching the Knicks again after giving up hope a couple years ago...man they suck. Horrible to watch. They need a lot of help.

Schlomey
07-01-2010, 11:04 AM
all the analysts are saying Chicago UNLESS Miami can get Bosh,Bron & Wade all at once. Long shot on both ends.

Innovator
07-01-2010, 11:13 AM
The free agency talk even spilled over into the Yankee game, talking about how CC is friends with Lebron.

Loose Cannon
07-01-2010, 11:13 AM
BFF's

McLegend
07-01-2010, 11:28 AM
LOL The Knicks.

Schlomey
07-01-2010, 11:43 AM
Knicks/Bulls are my 2 choices for Bron.

Innovator
07-01-2010, 11:46 AM
LOL The Knicks.
Seriously. It's the joke that DAMN iNATOR beat into the ground and isn't funny anymore.

McLegend
07-01-2010, 11:50 AM
It's funny to me.

Innovator
07-01-2010, 11:52 AM
I've been laughing about it long ago, maybe thats why.

Schlomey
07-01-2010, 12:02 PM
David Lee, Al Harrington & LeBron James...not a bad start if they can keep lee and sign bron.

Nark Order
07-01-2010, 12:51 PM
I'm really hoping that some genetic super team is made with Lebron, Wade, Bosh and others. Then I hope they win the championship like 6 years in a row or something just to watch fans of all the teams that I dislike go absolutely batshit.

Jeritron
07-01-2010, 02:12 PM
I still laugh every time I think of that story you told about a Mets fan calling into NY sports radio and complaining that he's noticed YES is biased towards the Yankees

Innovator
07-01-2010, 02:19 PM
I still laugh every time I think of that story you told about a Mets fan calling into NY sports radio and complaining that he's noticed YES is biased towards the Yankees
Listening to Francesa try to comprehend that statement made for a great 3 minutes of radio.

McLegend
07-01-2010, 02:28 PM
The Hawks are really dumb offering Joe Johnson $119 Million contract.

Loose Cannon
07-01-2010, 02:31 PM
you haven't seen the Knicks offer yet

McLegend
07-01-2010, 02:33 PM
They can't offer Joe Johnson as much money.

Is Johnson stays with the Hawks he would make an extra 30 million then he would with the Knicks even if they offered him the Max.

McLegend
07-01-2010, 02:35 PM
The Knicks offer "allegedy" is for Lebron, Bosh, and Johnson to take less because they will make more money because of endorsements.

Since it's New York and all.

Innovator
07-01-2010, 02:37 PM
That might be the only thing going for the Knicks

McLegend
07-01-2010, 02:40 PM
Yeah but is Joe Johnson really going to get that much endorsements even in New York?

Innovator
07-01-2010, 02:40 PM
Chad Pennington got endorsements

Innovator
07-01-2010, 02:41 PM
CHAD PENNINGTON

McLegend
07-01-2010, 02:45 PM
You mean the Quarterback for the New York Jets?

Third best players on Final teams don't really get huge endorsements most of the time.

Yes I know Lamar Odom and Taco bell, but him marrying a Karshdian helps out his mainstream appeal.

IC Champion
07-01-2010, 02:46 PM
That's football though, Americans care about football.

Innovator
07-01-2010, 02:48 PM
You mean the Quarterback for the New York Jets?

Third best players on Final teams don't really get huge endorsements most of the time.

Yes I know Lamar Odom and Taco bell, but him marrying a Karshdian helps out his mainstream appeal.
John Starks had a commercial that aired in 2003.

Innovator
07-01-2010, 02:48 PM
And you can't tell me he was better than Patrick Ewing or Charles Oakley.

McLegend
07-01-2010, 02:53 PM
John Starks had a commercial that aired in 2003.

He is a New York legend/Icon. People of New York have some special attachment to him. No one has attachment to Joe Johnson.

Joe Johnson would get more endorsements in New York, but it's not going to be the equivalent of $30 million+ he would be making in Atlanta.

Innovator
07-01-2010, 02:58 PM
You're right, but there is the chance he could play with a bigger star if he went to NY.

one in a million is still a chance.

McLegend
07-01-2010, 03:01 PM
I'd rather have the extra guaranteed money.

alvarado52
07-01-2010, 04:06 PM
i'd be shocked if the Knicks do ANYTHING. The reason for that being, the franchise itself has gone to shit. Sure, there are other teams out there just as bad, but after the Isaiah Thomas era in NY, that place looks like hell, both on and off the court.

McLegend
07-01-2010, 05:16 PM
Phil Jackson will be Lebron's new Coach in New York

McLegend
07-01-2010, 05:17 PM
Nah I'm just kidding.

Phil Jackson is coming back to coach the Lakers, and Lebron still hasn't said anything.

Innovator
07-01-2010, 05:42 PM
BREAKING NEWS

Lebron just took a leak.

Crimson
07-01-2010, 08:20 PM
Miles Austin is banging Kim K

Triple Naitch
07-01-2010, 08:29 PM
http://www.tpww.net/forums/showthread.php?t=99485

Dragon
07-02-2010, 02:20 PM
Apparently the Knicks are getting close on signing Amare to a max deal.

Obviously giving him max is risky with his injury concerns but this can only help in getting another big name guy here. And after seeing what other guys that have signed already have gotten Amare getting a max deal isn't surprising. As unlikely as I still think it would be for LeBron to come here, an Amare/LeBron pick and roll would be amazing.

Deal is gonna look pretty bad though if noone else comes with him and we have just Amare for the next 5 years.

DaveWadding
07-02-2010, 03:02 PM
Suns sign Hakim Warrick 4 years/18 mil and Channing Frye (5 years/30 mil)

Where's my David Lee signing dammit?

Juan
07-02-2010, 06:11 PM
So apparently the Lakers have offered Mike Miller a 5 year, $30 million contract.

Mitch Kupchak is neither confirming nor denying, but a source says Miller has til Tuesday to make up his mind and that Miller spoke with Kobe last night.

Juan
07-02-2010, 07:06 PM
Wow, word is that Lakers have signed Steve Blake

Juan
07-02-2010, 07:33 PM
Steve Blake's agent confirms four-year, $16 million deal with the Lakers. Story up soon on NBA.com.

Emperor Smeat
07-02-2010, 07:36 PM
If Fisher does resign at 50% discount, Blake would almost make double what Fisher makes as a Laker per year.

Juan
07-02-2010, 07:40 PM
Lakers want to offer Fish 3.5 million, but he wants 5 million. This is probably gonna drag on all summer, just like Odom last year.

Emperor Smeat
07-02-2010, 07:44 PM
I must have heard ESPN Sportscenter wrong since it sounded like Fisher was going to get $2.5 million which would have given Blake almost double of Fisher's salary.

Juan
07-02-2010, 07:45 PM
it's official

-The Los Angeles Lakers did not wait long to replace free agent guard Jordan Farmar, reaching into their fellow Staples Center occupants' locker room to poach veteran guard Steve Blake from the Clippers. The two sides have agreed on a four-year, $16 million deal, Blake's agent confirmed, which is fully guaranteed with no options for either side.

Blake will almost certainly take Farmar's place next season backing up Derek Fisher, who is also a free agent but is expected to re-sign with the two-time defending champions. The Lakers didn't place a qualifying offer on Farmar before the start of the free agent period, making him an unrestricted free agent. Blake also had interest from the Knicks and other teams but the opportunity to play for the Lakers was too enticing.

The 30-year-old Blake has played for five NBA teams since being drafted in the first round in 2003 by the Washington Wizards, with career averages of 7.5 points and 4.3 assists per game. He started last season in Portland, where he started for most of the first half of the season for the Trail Blazers, but the injury-riddled Blazers, desperate for a big man after season-ending injuries to Greg Oden and Joel Pryzbilla, dealt Blake at the trade deadline to the Clippers along with forward Travis Outlaw for center Marcus Camby.

Blake first disclosed the deal Friday afternoon during an interview on Portland radio station KXTG-FM.

Triple Naitch
07-02-2010, 07:55 PM
I would have preferred Raymond Felton, but Blake is still good.

Juan
07-03-2010, 06:19 AM
Here's a very interesting article by John Hollinger, regarding all the money that will be spent this summer

By John Hollinger
ESPN.com

You know who the five smartest men in the room were on Day 1 of free agency?

How about five guys who did all their work before all this craziness started: Danny Ainge, Kevin Pritchard, Sam Presti, Steve Kerr and R.C. Buford.

A year ago, all five saw what the free-agent market was going to look like this summer and took pre-emptive action:

Ainge signed Rajon Rondo to a five-year, $55 million extension.

Pritchard gave LaMarcus Aldridge a five-year, $70 million extension and then added Marcus Camby for two years, $21 million.

Presti gave Thabo Sefolosha a four-year, $15 million extension.

Kerr reupped Steve Nash for two more years at $20 million.

And Buford signed Manu Ginobili for three more years at $37 million.

After Day 1 of 2010 free agency -- a day in which Amir Johnson and Rudy Gay agreed to deals worth roughly $115 million -- now how do those moves look?

They seem genius, no? The lesson from the first 24 hours of free agency is that it's not just the superstars who are defining this market -- with too much cash chasing too little talent, teams are throwing themselves at whatever Hakim Warrick or Steve Blake they can get their mitts on, consequences be damned.

Wise GMs like the five above looked ahead, saw the landscape and did their work early, even if they endured some criticism for it at the time. (As did a sixth, Utah's Kevin O'Connor, who had the foresight to extend Mehmet Okur but couldn't look far enough into his crystal ball to see a devastating Achilles injury).

Kerr and Pritchard aren't employed by their teams anymore, even though those moves at a minimum saved their teams tens of millions in additional salary. Aldridge and Rondo would get max offers in this market, guaranteed. Ginobili and Nash would have offers that came close. Camby and even Sefolosha likely would have been richly rewarded as well.

Here's the thing: It's only going to get worse.

Do the math. We have 10 maximum-salary slots among the free-agent contenders: three for Miami, two for Chicago, New York and New Jersey, and one for the Clippers.

We have 10 players who are max-contract candidates: LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, Chris Bosh, Dirk Nowitzki, Paul Pierce, Amare Stoudemire, Carlos Boozer, Joe Johnson, David Lee and Rudy Gay.

Seems like a perfect match of supply and demand so far. However, Pierce and Nowitzki are almost certain to return to their former teams. Gay already has committed to return to Memphis, and Johnson appears close to returning to Atlanta.

Now we have six players for 10 slots. If LeBron returns to Cleveland, that makes five. And we haven't discussed the possibility of Boozer, Stoudemire or Bosh being signed-and-traded to a team already over the cap -- a real possibility given the lucrative sixth year they can add on their deals in such an arrangement.

If all that happens, that means it's possible only Wade and Lee (by re-signing six-year deals with their current teams) would eat up max-salary slots from one of the teams with cap space.

Which would leave about $120 million in cap space out on the market, chasing a bunch of players who aren't worth anywhere near that type of money.

Think about it. After those players, who's next on the list? Luis Scola? Raymond Felton? John Salmons? Josh Childress? Ray Allen?

No matter how you slice it, it's a vertiginous drop from the elite free agents to the next tier, but with all the money chasing talent this summer and all that those teams have promised their fans by tanking one or even two seasons in the pursuit of cap space, they feel compelled to make a move.

Several GMs have looked at the landscape and realized this phenomenon, which is why the bidding has increased on even secondary players. It only makes sense -- a rising tide lifts all boats. If the players normally targeted with midlevel money are suddenly angling for much bigger prizes, it means lesser players now become targets for the midlevel.

We already have some examples. Channing Frye got two years and $4 million a year ago; after opting out of the second year and trying again, he'll get nearly eight times that amount this summer. Ditto for Drew Gooden. And Amir Johnson got $34 million even though his foul rate (7.0 per 40 minutes, the worst among any player to see more than 1,000 minutes) makes it virtually impossible to keep him on the floor.

As a result, the potential is there for some really idiotic stuff to happen this summer. Think Johnson getting $34 million is bad? You ain't seen nothing yet. Some team is going to panic and give a grotesquely bloated deal to a secondary player. We might see somebody like Al Harrington or Brendan Haywood get $50 million or $60 million. We might see Steve Blake or Luke Ridnour get the full midlevel exception.

And we seem almost certain to see Richard Jefferson recoup the $15.2 million he forewent by opting out of the final year of his contract. In last year's market, it would have been a long shot. This year? Heck, he might double or triple it.

We could avert the worst excesses of free-agency Armageddon if the likes of James, Stoudemire and Boozer move to one of the cap-space teams, whether by trade or straight signing, and soak up some of that excess cash. But it seems increasingly likely that we're going to have a ton of money chasing very little talent this summer, and the result is going to be some serious salary inflation.

All of which, of course, is going to make for some very interesting theater as the 2011 lockout date grows closer. The owners will use this as evidence that salaries have gone out of control. The players, on the other hand, will say the wild spending spree proves the owners' claims of losses are absurd.

Regardless of how they spin it, the forces of supply and demand have swung wildly in favor of the suppliers this summer. Only one thing is certain: The few GMs who saw this coming a year ago deserve a lot more credit than they're getting.

Emperor Smeat
07-03-2010, 03:23 PM
1st time reading that I only got up to him calling Ainge "smart" when he tried to secretly trade away Rondo and Ray Allen earlier in the year but stopped when it was uncovered what he was doing. I think its been 2nd year in a row where he's tried to get rid of either guy.

Reading past the initial part and it makes a lot of sense what he's writing about since teams are going to pull stuff similar to the Knicks the last 6-8 years and kill their cap space by overpaying on any player. Instead of saving when quality players are signed up, majority of the NBA teams fell for ESPN's hype about the 2010 free agency as best year ever to sign. Players are going to come out as big winners when its all done.

Juan
07-04-2010, 12:09 AM
July 8th can't come soon enough.

Emperor Smeat
07-04-2010, 12:22 AM
Pierce set to sign 4-year, $60 million deal to stay with Celtics.

The bigger impact was reducing his $21.5 million per year to $15 million to help pay for another few years for Ray Allen (also expected to decline from $20 million to $14-$15 million) and bench depth.

SammyG
07-04-2010, 01:07 PM
Spoiler: After free agency is done and over, the Lakers are still the best team in the NBA. Kthx.

Triple Naitch
07-04-2010, 04:12 PM
Supposedly, Amare is set to negotiate a max deal with the Knicks and claims Melo and Tony Parker are on their way in 2011.

Droford
07-05-2010, 10:57 AM
Wade aint staying in Miami. he purposefully took a COMMERCIAL flight back to miami at 8 am this morning so he could avoid Heat fans that went to where his private plane would have landed.

MIAMI (AP) -- Dwyane Wade (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/nba/players/3708) is back in South Florida, and hundreds of Miami Heat (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/nba/teams/heat) fans got early morning wake-up calls in an effort to keep him there for many years to come.
The six-time All-Star landed at Miami International Airport a little after 8 a.m. Monday.
Unfortunately, his welcome-home party of about 50 people was taking place at a different location.
The Heat leaked his travel plans overnight, telling fans to greet Wade at the Signature Air terminal at the airport. But Wade flew commercial and missed the impromptu welcome-home celebration.

Why else would he do that?

Emperor Smeat
07-05-2010, 05:21 PM
He probably only wanted a small gathering and for it to be a private moment more than a team rally. Those same people in the group who would be rushing to cheer would also be the same to threaten to kill or injury him if he made the wrong decision (aka leave Miami). He probably wanted to be with people he knew would support him regardless of his decision.

Lebron is doing something similar in focusing on his camp since he wants the camp to be about basketball more than having people question him on why he chose a certain team.

McLegend
07-05-2010, 05:24 PM
It is possible they just got bad info though.

McLegend
07-05-2010, 05:26 PM
Evan Turner making his debut tonight in the Summer league.

Doug Collins is coaching as well. That's kind of weird.

edit

Nevermind Doug Collins isn't coaching tonight. So it's not that weird.

Juan
07-05-2010, 06:30 PM
Amar'e Stoudemire signs 5-year, $100 mil deal with the Knicks

Emperor Smeat
07-05-2010, 07:55 PM
The Amar'e deal is pretty weird considering he's signing for a future promise of Melo and Parker than Knicks saying they will improve for the upcomming season.

He probably doesn't care as much since he gets his money but I think by now anytime the Knicks promise something, you can almost guarantee its not occurring.

Knicks are in a bigger situation since now the fans are expecting Melo and Parker next season after being told the past few years they would get a Lebron and/or Wade and/or Bosh.

McLegend
07-05-2010, 08:01 PM
And I think Carmello would be insane to turn down 3 years at 65 million. It's almost criminal to turn down that kind of money.

Loose Cannon
07-05-2010, 08:34 PM
love Amare. I'll take it. we're at about 45% ready. up from 11% a week ago

RP
07-06-2010, 08:37 AM
Lance Stephenson will be the best player out of this draft.

Innovator
07-06-2010, 09:22 AM
love Amare. I'll take it. we're at about 45% ready. up from 11% a week ago
Last week it NY was DOA.

Emperor Smeat
07-06-2010, 05:04 PM
Raptors set to Sign and Trade with the Cavs so Bosh can get his $29-$30 million and Raptors get some "quality" players in the deal.

Bosh wanted the deal to be with the Heat but Raptors refused since Heat barely have Beasely as only guaranteed player on the team and rest of the Heat not worth a trade for Bosh (except Wade but he's a free agent).

Dragon
07-06-2010, 06:01 PM
Everything I've seen has said that Bosh doesn't want to play in Cleveland next year.

Seems like LeBron is pushing for Bosh to go there but if he doesn't chances are he might leave.

Emperor Smeat
07-06-2010, 10:04 PM
:rofl: at ESPN Breaking News about Lebron.

Lebron wants an hour long special shown on ESPN for his decision and ESPN as dumbasses agreed to it. He already has sponsors and charities set for the event which means he planned this in advance and none of the money raised will go to charities.

EDIT: The money raised from the sponsors will go to a charity but no news if any money he would get from ESPN or non-sponsor would go to charities.

McLegend
07-06-2010, 10:10 PM
I just read that the money would go to boys and girls club of America.

McLegend
07-06-2010, 10:12 PM
So he has to be staying. You don't do this if you are leaving, because Cleveland would hate Lebron with an even bigger passion then they would have if he just left quietly.

Emperor Smeat
07-06-2010, 10:28 PM
ESPN was hinting the Knicks might have a good chance to get him since it would be unusual to hold a hour special just to decide to stay in Cleveland and this was something he had to have been planning in order to get sponsors for the event.

Juan
07-06-2010, 11:25 PM
an hour long special?? Really???

DaveWadding
07-06-2010, 11:30 PM
"10/10! Better than Kobe: Doin' Work!" - Spike Lee

Juan
07-06-2010, 11:35 PM
What?

Juan
07-07-2010, 03:49 AM
Vinny Del Negro is the new Clippers coach.

RP
07-07-2010, 04:23 AM
Did you notice the box score from the game against New Jersey?

The thing that stood out to me wasn't Lance Stephenson's solid play for the second straight game or Paul George's struggles from the field, it was Josh McRobets going 2-of-12 on 3-pointers.

Ouch.

McRoberts has only taken 34 3's in his three-year career. He attempted more than a third of that total in one game.

O'Brien said during his interview that they want McRoberts to continue taking 3's because that's what they like from their power forwards.

"We insist on him taking the 3," O'Brien said to the NBA TV.

The Pacers have McBob shooting 500 3's a day during workouts.

I swear i'm fucking cutting myself right now. I cant believe people in Indiana are letting this shit happen.

Triple A
07-07-2010, 09:11 AM
ESPN was hinting the Knicks might have a good chance to get him since it would be unusual to hold a hour special just to decide to stay in Cleveland and this was something he had to have been planning in order to get sponsors for the event.

So worried

I hope that is true.

(feel self conscious posting in this thread)

Innovator
07-07-2010, 09:23 AM
CMON LEBRON, JOIN CC HERE

Loose Cannon
07-07-2010, 09:34 AM
I said to a couple of people at work that Lebron would hold a live press conferance to announce his decision. Didn't think it would be a fucking hour long. jeez.

So I don't see the post here yet, but most of you obviously know already. Looks like Wade and Bosh to Miami is confirmed.

To me, the Knicks have a pretty good shot right now. I am worried about Chicago though. They have good players already in place and can bring a Carlos Boozer in if they get Lebron.

Innovator
07-07-2010, 09:47 AM
I hope it's like signing day where he has two hats in his hands and puts one on.

RP
07-07-2010, 10:27 AM
wouldnt it be funny if he was walking to the podium and he blew out his knee?

Innovator
07-07-2010, 12:20 PM
or if he decided to sign with the Heat, then as he shook Pat Riley's hand, gave him the Rock Bottom, undid his shirt to reveal a Knicks jersey.

McLegend
07-07-2010, 12:23 PM
This is a bad idea. His image is going to take a huge shot after this.

This isn't a wise move, Mr. James.

Innovator
07-07-2010, 12:24 PM
Hence why he needs to go WWE on everyone. KOing Pat Riley and signing with the Knicks would make him a god in NY instantly.

McLegend
07-07-2010, 12:24 PM
Unless he does stay in Cleveland then it's better.

Still not great though.

Innovator
07-07-2010, 12:29 PM
It's weird that hes gonna hold a press conference just to say he's resigning with the Cavs. He could have done it off the bat.

McLegend
07-07-2010, 12:30 PM
Hence why he needs to go WWE on everyone. KOing Pat Riley and signing with the Knicks would make him a god in NY instantly.

He has never wanted to be a heel before. Why would he start now?

Innovator
07-07-2010, 12:38 PM
wouldn't have a choice, like when the crowd booed Rock when he was face.

McLegend
07-07-2010, 12:56 PM
If you want even more insight to "The Decision" check out The Kings website.

http://lebronjames.com/

Or check out his Twitter account which he debut yesterday. His Twitter account is called KingJames.

Innovator
07-07-2010, 01:45 PM
But whither LeBron? An ESPN reporter has been unable to confirm with ESPN that James will announce his decision on ESPN, but sources within ESPN have told the ESPN reporter that ESPN is in discussions with James. (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5359255) I think he's just going to be teaming up with Beadle for SportsNation.

Innovator
07-07-2010, 01:46 PM
With this said, I think Beadle needs to cover this.

IC Champion
07-07-2010, 01:59 PM
Bosh is gone to Miami. I hope he just signs, and it's not a sign and trade. They don't have anything worth shit. I wouldn't do it unless I was getting like 4 first rounders, and make them take Calderon. Who the fuck wants Beasley and Mario Chalmers?

Dragon
07-07-2010, 02:01 PM
Keep reading about that Miami superteam again. I really think its a bad move for LeBron if he goes to Miami with Wade and Bosh. Not really the legacy he always talks about. Going to Wade's team and all that.

Innovator
07-07-2010, 02:01 PM
Nah he'll stay in Miami, gets to play with D-Wade plus no sales tax.

IC Champion
07-07-2010, 02:04 PM
I actually hate Bosh now. The way he's handled free agency, and treated the fans of Toronto. He can go fuck himself. He's as bad as James. It was all about Bosh, and wanting to be wooed. I didn't want him back, but the way he treated a city that did, was just wrong.

IC Champion
07-07-2010, 02:07 PM
James isn't going to Miami, I don't think they have the money, unless Cleveland does a sign-and-trade, which they have already said they wont do.

IC Champion
07-07-2010, 02:17 PM
I don't think Wade and Bosh will win anything. Bosh can't play defense, he has no post game, at all. He's a jump shooting PF.

Dragon
07-07-2010, 02:46 PM
It'd have to be all three taking less money I think to make it work in Miami.

NY or CHI would be the logical move for LeBron now. Seriously think he'll just end up staying in Cleveland though, making this whole show for nothing.

IC Champion
07-07-2010, 02:47 PM
LeBron is making his decision somehwere in Ohio, so unless he plans to get lynched, he's staying in Cleveland.

Dragon
07-07-2010, 02:48 PM
Apparently the show tomorrow is airing from Greenwich, CT. Gives me a little hope as a Knicks fan, definitely glad its not happening in Akron.

Dragon
07-07-2010, 02:49 PM
http://www.newsday.com/sports/basketball/knicks/the-knicks-fix-1.812055/lebron-will-make-announcement-in-greenwich-ct-1.2086121

alvarado52
07-07-2010, 03:57 PM
words cannot express my irritation with LeBron Hames' 'decision' having a 1 hour special.