PDA

View Full Version : MLB 2007-2008 Offseason Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Splaya
10-29-2007, 01:07 AM
Red Sox win...Congrats to them

Big news right away....A-rod has opted out of his contract with the Yankees.

Discuss it all as we make our way to the start of 2008

Mercury Bullet
10-29-2007, 01:08 AM
What are the chances A-Rod winds up in Boston? Hmm?

Splaya
10-29-2007, 11:11 AM
Here's how I break it down

Chicago Cubs- 40%
Boston- 30%
Every other team but the Yankees- 30%

Savio
10-29-2007, 06:35 PM
A-rod was their savior last season. :/

OssMan
10-30-2007, 12:02 AM
Is the offseason thread seriously going to be a Splaya thread

YOUR Hero
10-30-2007, 10:54 AM
everything I have read and heard states that Boston is NOT where ARod will end up.

SammyG
10-30-2007, 07:46 PM
Joe Torre is gonna be managing the Los Angeles Dodgers :love:

SammyG
10-30-2007, 08:27 PM
omg Grady Little just resigned.

MVP
10-30-2007, 08:43 PM
everything I have read and heard states that Boston is NOT where ARod will end up.

Good we don't need him anyway, he'll just bring too much negative attention to the team. I am worried about Manny's health a little, but if he rehabs this offseason I think he has a good year left in him.

Splaya
10-30-2007, 11:54 PM
In all honesty, they were talking on ESPN yesterday that the team that has the best chance to get him besides the Bosox, would actually be the Tigers because Mike Illitch does not care what kind of money he has to spend to get him.

I started drooling when I found out about that :drool:

VonErichLives
10-31-2007, 02:54 AM
Good we don't need him anyway, he'll just bring too much negative attention to the team. I am worried about Manny's health a little, but if he rehabs this offseason I think he has a good year left in him.

Manny's health? you mean Ortiz right? Papi is mostlikely having knee surgery this offseason, the out comes or concern of that will dictate this sox going after A-rod.

FakeLaser
10-31-2007, 03:01 AM
Fuck A-Rod

MVP
10-31-2007, 10:46 AM
Manny's health? you mean Ortiz right? Papi is mostlikely having knee surgery this offseason, the out comes or concern of that will dictate this sox going after A-rod.
I am going on my gut feeling that Ortiz's surgery will be successful and he'll be 100% by spring training. Manny is who worries me since he's getting older, his power numbers have declined, and he had that strained oblique this season.

YOUR Hero
10-31-2007, 11:07 AM
Manny just doesn't play with passion and now he's a little more indifferent. I think that's why his #'s are declining above anything else. Manny plays for Manny. If he has a goal to achieve, look out.

Wow. If ARod goes to Detroit. Although Detroit needs some pitching help.

SammyG
10-31-2007, 03:30 PM
lol @ Frazor

Dragon
10-31-2007, 03:56 PM
Apparently Bowa might be going with Torre too. He won't be on the Yankees accoring to reports. They have a new bench coach, third base coach, pitching coach and bullpen coach.

Pettitte says he will be back with the Yankees or retire next year so finally some good news.

SammyG
10-31-2007, 04:41 PM
Wooo! Bring A-rod too!

Conspiracy Victim Vito
10-31-2007, 05:17 PM
<font color=goldenrod>Mets picked up Alou's 2008 option and re-signed Damion Easley.

Both no-brainer moves. Alou will get injured at some point but as long as Endy can actually stay healthy it'll be better off.</font>

ClockShot
10-31-2007, 06:00 PM
Apparently Bowa might be going with Torre too. He won't be on the Yankees accoring to reports. They have a new bench coach, third base coach, pitching coach and bullpen coach.

Pettitte says he will be back with the Yankees or retire next year so finally some good news.

I heard a little while back that he was a lock to go to Seattle. But a personal matter on his end was making the deal official.

But probably the big story of today. Mike Cameron suspened 25 games beginning next season for testing positive for an banned stimulant.

Conspiracy Victim Vito
10-31-2007, 06:03 PM
<font color=goldenrod>Guess the 'roids effect your vision and make you K a ton.</font>

Hanso Amore
10-31-2007, 06:43 PM
I heard a little while back that he was a lock to go to Seattle. But a personal matter on his end was making the deal official.

But probably the big story of today. Mike Cameron suspened 25 games beginning next season for testing positive for an banned stimulant.

Alou is a good move. The guy can flat out rake, he just misses too many games, but I would rather have 80 games of Alou than 162 of endy.

Conspiracy Victim Vito
11-01-2007, 09:27 AM
<font color=goldenrod>Hmm, reading that the Yanks are discussing 3 years, $40 million for Posada...but he might want more.

Wonder if wanting more means more money or more years...if its more years then the discussion clearly favors the Yanks as they can just throw him at DH when the breakdown happens</font>

Loose Cannon
11-01-2007, 09:54 AM
I've heard a possible deal for Crede that would fill up our hole at 3rd. Honestly, I would love to see him in a Yankee uniform. He'd fit in perfectly.

ClockShot
11-01-2007, 10:15 AM
Blue Jays are looking to trade up Troy Glaus. But he only wants to go any West Coast team.

YOUR Hero
11-01-2007, 10:49 AM
They were looking to move him last winter too. Jays need another big bat if they move him though. I like Troy, just had an injury filled year last year.

Jesus Shuttlesworth
11-01-2007, 11:02 AM
Anyone see what Boras said? Something along the lines of how he can't understand why Rivera and Posada can be free agents and the Yankees will still talk to them but the Yankees won't talk to A-Rod when he wants to be one. Dudes gotta be the best agent in baseball

Loose Cannon
11-01-2007, 11:09 AM
he is. you got to be the biggest asshole to be the best agent. Usually the biggest dicks make the most money. so yea, be a dick when you have a real job.

Jesus Shuttlesworth
11-01-2007, 11:19 AM
I can't really blame the players for being greedy as fuck though, they are the ones bringing in all the money so they should go after as much of it as possible.

At the same time though, what the hell is the difference between 25 million a year and 30 million a year? I really don't know what these guys do with all this money.

Also, the Red Sox designated Royce Clayton for assignment, gonna be a huge loss for Fox's dugout microphone segments

FakeLaser
11-01-2007, 11:26 AM
Also, the Red Sox designated Royce Clayton for assignment, gonna be a huge loss for Fox's dugout microphone segments
lol

Dragon
11-01-2007, 12:16 PM
Anyone see what Boras said? Something along the lines of how he can't understand why Rivera and Posada can be free agents and the Yankees will still talk to them but the Yankees won't talk to A-Rod when he wants to be one. Dudes gotta be the best agent in baseball

LOL. He has asked that a million times before and the answer is pretty simple. He didn't even think about meeting with the Yankees first (while Rivera already has) and he cost the Yankees 30 million dollars from the Rangers. 30 million dollars is a lot of money to lose even for the Yankees.

Splaya
11-01-2007, 04:00 PM
According to MLB.com and Detroit Tigers.com, Joel Zumaya is out for the first half of the season after having surgery on his throwing shoulder to repair an ac joint reconstruction. The team is HOPEFUL that he will return mid season.

I'm just absolutely crushed right now :(

Splaya
11-01-2007, 04:16 PM
FunctionThe AC joint allows the ability to raise the arm above the head. This joint functions as a pivot point (although technically it is a gliding synovial joint), acting like a strut to help with movement of the scapula resulting in a greater degree of arm rotation.

That is the function of the AC Joint

Conspiracy Victim Vito
11-01-2007, 06:36 PM
<font color=goldenrod>Joe Torre is officially Dodgers manager. Mattingly, Bowa, and possibly Lee Mazzili will also join</font>

SammyG
11-01-2007, 06:42 PM
Yessssssssssssssssssss

RoXer
11-01-2007, 07:28 PM
A-Rod a Mud Hen? Triple-A Toledo makes a playful offer
November 1, 2007

TOLEDO, Ohio (AP) -- Alex Rodriguez a Mud Hen?

Spurred by an offhand remark from George Steinbrenner's son, the Triple-A Toledo Mud Hens want in on the A-Rod sweepstakes.

ADVERTISEMENT
The Mud Hens playfully offered the prize free agent a deal Thursday -- a contract proposal that includes a bonus for hitting 75 home runs next year and leading them to 10 straight International League titles.

Rodriguez recently opted out of his $252 million, 10-year contract with the New York Yankees. That prompted Hank Steinbrenner, son of the Yankees owner, to tell the New York Times: "Does he want to go into the Hall of Fame as a Yankee, or a Toledo Mud Hen?"

The Mud Hens conjured up an offer to find out, said Jason Griffin, a spokesman for the Detroit Tigers' top farm team.

Toledo created a Hall of Fame plaque of Rodriguez wearing a Mud Hens hat and sent a letter to his agent, Scott Boras.

The deal stipulates that Rodriguez will have to compete for a spot with Toledo third basemen Mike Hessman, the league's most valuable player last season.

"Would your client be willing to play a different position?" the letter asked.

FakeLaser
11-01-2007, 07:33 PM
Zumaya definitely just bought Guitar Hero 3.

ClockShot
11-01-2007, 07:37 PM
Here's the real story on Zumaya.

DETROIT -- With the California wildfires closing in on his parents' house, Joel Zumaya went up to the attic and tried to salvage a few things for his father.

Moments later, his 2008 season was in jeopardy.

A heavy box fell on top of the Detroit Tigers reliever, injuring his pitching shoulder and forcing him to have major surgery Wednesday in San Diego. He is expected to be sidelined until midseason.

"You think he'll be back, but I can't 100 percent count on that," Tigers president and general manager Dave Dombrowski said Thursday. "We can't count on that contribution this year. We have to plan our staff without him being there."

The Tigers hoped to re-sign closer Todd Jones, with the understanding that he might lose his job later in the season to Zumaya. If they weren't able to bring back the free agent, Zumaya had a shot to be Detroit's closer.

"Now, we can't count on that," Dombrowski said. "If it's not Todd, we have to be aggressive to find somebody to pitch on the back end."

An e-mail seeking comment was sent to Jones.

Zumaya is being told to rest his shoulder for six weeks and refrain from a throwing program until March.

His 100 mph fastballs helped the Tigers reach the 2006 World Series, and the giant flame tattoos on both his arms helped make him a star in the Motor City.

He told the Tigers he was injured while moving personal items Sunday.

"He said a box fell on his shoulder," Dombrowski said. "The fires were approximately 2 miles from his home, where he lives with his parents, and his dad has a broken leg and wanted some items from the attic.

"He reached up to grab one box and a heavy one on top of it fell directly on his shoulder.

"At first, he didn't think it was that bad," Dombrowski added. "But the pain became more and more and that's when Mr. Zumaya said, 'We have to call the Tigers.'"

Zumaya was limited to 28 games this year because of surgery on a tendon in his middle finger. He was 2-3 with a 4.28 ERA and the Tigers went 88-74, finishing second in the AL Central.

As a rookie in 2006, Zumaya was a big reason the Tigers won the AL pennant for the first time in more than two decades. He was 6-3 with a 1.94 ERA and 92 strikeouts in 62 appearances.

Detroit acquired All-Star shortstop Edgar Renteria earlier this week, filling a pressing need -- only to find out soon after it had another void.

"My jubilation turned into a lot of concern," Dombrowski said.

The pitcher was downtrodden, too.

"He must've apologized, in a five-minute conversation, 25 times," Dombrowski said.

SammyG
11-01-2007, 07:39 PM
Damn.

Jesus Shuttlesworth
11-01-2007, 09:37 PM
LOL. He has asked that a million times before and the answer is pretty simple. He didn't even think about meeting with the Yankees first (while Rivera already has) and he cost the Yankees 30 million dollars from the Rangers. 30 million dollars is a lot of money to lose even for the Yankees.
No I know, but the way he was trying to spin it was pretty interesting

Loose Cannon
11-01-2007, 10:01 PM
Dodgers/Yankees World Series

Skippord
11-01-2007, 10:19 PM
Rockies/Red Sox 2: Electric Boogaloo

Matt Holliday has to win the World Series to save the local Rec center

Jesus Shuttlesworth
11-01-2007, 10:22 PM
Yup, Yankees will be the best team in 2008....much like they were in 2007

YOUR Hero
11-01-2007, 10:30 PM
Maybe the Marlins will go on another building spree and land ARod. They've got a great young core and adding a few F/As might once again get them into the playoffs.

SammyG
11-01-2007, 10:57 PM
Would cream my pants.

FakeLaser
11-01-2007, 11:20 PM
Yup, Yankees will be the best team in 2008....much like they were in 2007
yeah son

VonErichLives
11-01-2007, 11:57 PM
Maybe the Marlins will go on another building spree and land ARod. They've got a great young core and adding a few F/As might once again get them into the playoffs.

That's a rumor... there is talk of a package that would include partial team ownership... not sure how the league would deal with that since it would circumvent any possible luxury tax penalty...

YOUR Hero
11-02-2007, 12:13 AM
Really?

I was just giving teams I thopught might go after him. Marlins made sense since they tear the team down, then reload a few years later.

Also, what about Texas going after him again? I mean why not. They've got the $$ and he played well there.

SammyG
11-02-2007, 02:01 AM
Dodgers are on Schilling's list. GET HIM TOOOO

ClockShot
11-02-2007, 05:00 PM
As expected, Yankees pick up Abreu's option.

I see it as a yes and no on my end. Leaves Melky in a bit of a pickle right now. :(

FakeLaser
11-02-2007, 05:15 PM
Why is Melky in a pickle? He's the starting CF. Damon is going to play left and Matsui is gonna DH. Giambi is gonna rot on the bench like the waste of space that he is.

FakeLaser
11-02-2007, 05:23 PM
Sources told ESPN's Buster Olney that before Alex Rodriguez opted out of his contract with the Yankees earlier this week, the team was told that it would not be able to meet with the third baseman unless it presented an offer of at least $350 million.

Holy fuck, $350 million. That is absurd.

FakeLaser
11-02-2007, 05:25 PM
Also:

Barry Bonds, in an interview with MSNBC, says that he plans to boycott his own Hall of Fame induction ceremoney if they accept the record-breaking 756th home run ball that has been branded with an asterisk.

"You cannot give people the freedom, the right to alter history, you can’t do it," Bonds said in the interview. "There’s no such thing as an asterisk in baseball." The ball was branded with an asterisk after fashion designer Marc Ecko, who bought the ball for $752,467.20 in September, put up an Internet poll and asked the public on what to do with the ball.

lol

Loose Cannon
11-02-2007, 05:37 PM
yea, saw that lol.

Dragon
11-02-2007, 05:41 PM
Yeah, saw that $350 million thing. That is an obscene amount just to meet with him.

Does anyone truly believe A-Rod will get anything near that amount? I find it hard to believe a team will even go 10 years and $30M a year. While $300M is possible it just seems unrealistic to me. 350 just seems impossible. I know A-Rod keeps in shape but that has to at least be a 10 year deal. And even if he is breaking records at the end of it, $35M for a 43-year old seems crazy.

But hey, I still find it crazy to think teams will go to $30M a year.

FakeLaser
11-02-2007, 05:50 PM
I could see him getting 30 or 35 million a year possibly but for 10 years?

Dragon
11-02-2007, 06:01 PM
Yeah, as good a player as he is someone will regret paying him that much when he's 43 years old. He probably will get his money but its just insane to me that he will be payed around a third or fourth of most teams payrolls.

I don't really doubt he'll get as much or more than the Yankees were offering though. Boras must know that someone will be willing to pay that much already.

SammyG
11-02-2007, 06:07 PM
No man alive deserves 30 million a year, come on now. That is so fucking ridiculous.

Conspiracy Victim Vito
11-02-2007, 08:46 PM
<font color=goldenrod>Someone needs to remind A-Rod that Dice-K had more postseason RBIs than him</font>

YOUR Hero
11-03-2007, 02:58 AM
I do believe that ARod and his agent over estimated what he's worth. I really feel with the way Alex has been branded, with his lack of post season success, with the way he opted out of the rest of his contract, that he's hurt his chances at making the kind of money they think he's worth.

Hanso Amore
11-03-2007, 11:15 AM
A Rod is not worth more than 25 a year. YEs he is the best player in the league, well, hitter. But he is already the highest paid, so maybe had someone got a similar deal he would have grounds, but its stupid to ask for a 10 million raise when your already the highest paid player in the MLB. For 35 Million Dollars, you can field the entire Mets Infield.

I would like to see the Yanks make a move for Crede, as I like his blue collar play. They could even sign lowell as a stop gap for 3 years until they find a full replacement.

I was reading the Newest ESPN mag, and they had some ideas for trades that made a lot of sense.

Griffey to Seattle as a DH (one year left on contract.) is one.

They also mention Colorado needing to find a spot for their top 3b Prospect. Maybe Garret Atkins will be on the block? Atkins to NY? I would take it.

ANyone know when Scott Kazmir is up for Free Agency? I think he will be moving in the coming years as TB will not pony up the bucks, unless their pitching prospects hit the ground running and make them a contender.

Speaking of TB, isnt Carlos Pena a FA?

ClockShot
11-03-2007, 11:33 AM
I think Pena is going on the market. But his agent is noneother than Scott Boras.

Haven't heard anything on Scott Kazmir though. Being the strikeout leader this season. He's got talent. But I'd like to see him on a team with playoff contention. Not one that can throw a wrench into the Yankees or Red Sox when they play them.

I'm hearing Sammy Sosa still wants to play. Rangers still want him but he wants a team that can give him playing time. He's asking for 7 mil or he'll hang them up.

Dragon
11-03-2007, 12:46 PM
I don't think Pena is on the market until next year.

VonErichLives
11-03-2007, 01:02 PM
No man alive deserves 30 million a year, come on now. That is so fucking ridiculous.

Tell that to top actors/actress and CEO's of big corporations.

If a team can justify they make a profit while still spending the 30mil/year and that his added production helps them achive post-season goals or more butts in the seats, someone will do it.

Florida would really be perfect.

Splaya
11-03-2007, 03:12 PM
Someone needs to remind A-Rod that Dice-K had more postseason RBIs than him

Quote of the offseason, hands down

Splaya
11-03-2007, 03:14 PM
I'll tell you what.

In a way when I first found out A-rod wanted 350 million, I was like how do you figure.

I still don't get it, but maybe some of it was because of dealing with the fans of New York. I dunno tho

Conspiracy Victim Vito
11-03-2007, 06:34 PM
<font color=goldenrod>Boras has said he feels A-Rod is worth that much because of all the revenue and media coverage he'd eventually bring the team when he breaks the HR record</font>

YOUR Hero
11-03-2007, 06:42 PM
Putting the cart before the horse, I'd say.

Conspiracy Victim Vito
11-03-2007, 06:43 PM
<font color=goldenrod>Posada has said that he's backing Girardi, hinting that he might return to the Yanks.

I think it'll go like this: Posada is offered a 3-year deal....he declines decides to test the market, uses a team like the Mets to get the Yanks to up the offer to a 4th year (may as well be renamed DH year) and goes back to the Bronx.</font>

spilzrvd_69
11-03-2007, 06:43 PM
A Rod is a penis.

Conspiracy Victim Vito
11-03-2007, 07:57 PM
<font color=goldenrod>Wooo Mets re-sign Marlon Anderson (pending physical)</font> :cool:

Jesus Shuttlesworth
11-04-2007, 01:38 PM
<font color=goldenrod>Posada has said that he's backing Girardi, hinting that he might return to the Yanks.</font>Really? I thought they had issues for some reason, if he came out saying that he will def be back with the Yankees.

ClockShot
11-04-2007, 02:38 PM
Red Sox pick up the options of Wakefield and Tavarez.

Cubs are giving Kerry Wood another go. But decline Cliff Floyd's option.

John Russell is named new manager of the pirates.

OssMan
11-05-2007, 02:23 AM
Really? I thought they had issues for some reason, if he came out saying that he will def be back with the Yankees.You do not have the right to alter history

Jesus Shuttlesworth
11-05-2007, 11:19 AM
What's that?

Conspiracy Victim Vito
11-05-2007, 02:09 PM
<font color=goldenrod>Mets might be close to bringing back Lo Duca. I love that guy :love:

Gonna be interesting to see what trade rumors come up with the GM Meetings starting and a pretty thin FA Market. Giants are shopping Lincecum, Rays are said to be shopping Kazmir, Twins with Johan, etc.</font>

Conspiracy Victim Vito
11-05-2007, 02:16 PM
<font color=goldenrod>Apparently Lincecum's gonna be on the market for "a quality bat"

Sabean is beyond retarded if he trades Lincecum for a single bat</font> :|

SammyG
11-05-2007, 03:23 PM
Torre, welcome to LA :)

Supreme Olajuwon
11-05-2007, 03:37 PM
guys Eric Milton is a free agent, so write to your GM's, call your talk radio hosts, and start the campaign to bring him to your favorite team

ClockShot
11-05-2007, 04:37 PM
Red Sox are probably gonna shop Coco Crisp.

Cubs are thinking about giving Prior another shot.

Rockies are gonna give Kaz Matsui a 2-year deal to stick around. Yankees might be interested in him.

An update on Joe Crede. Yankees are still interested. Johnny Damon's name is being floated around to trade for him.

FakeLaser
11-05-2007, 04:57 PM
Why the hell would the Rays shop Kazmir? They got him in the biggest assraping ever. Also, what the fuck are they going to trade him for, more bats? They need more Kazmirs, they have plenty of great young position players. I think they still have Kazmir for like 3 more years. If anything they should look to deal Baldelli or even Carl Crawford for some arms.

Hanso Amore
11-05-2007, 05:05 PM
Why the hell would the Rays shop Kazmir? They got him in the biggest assraping ever. Also, what the fuck are they going to trade him for, more bats? They need more Kazmirs, they have plenty of great young position players. I think they still have Kazmir for like 3 more years. If anything they should look to deal Baldelli or even Carl Crawford for some arms.

Kazmir is going to be on the market alot sooner than 3 years, they want to trade him before they lose him to Free agency.

Damon For Crede would not be bad, Fills a need, opens the outfield for Melky/Abreu/Matsui, and opens DH to Giambi or a bat they sign

Conspiracy Victim Vito
11-05-2007, 05:11 PM
<font color=goldenrod>I dunno, I read that the Rays consider BJ Upton to be their only untouchable player, but to get Kazmir would require "multiple high-end pitchers"

But yeah, if the Rays ever want to compete they need more pitching. Hell if I were them I'd check with Sabean to see if he was serious about Lincecum costing just a bat. Crawford for Lincecum. Kazmir and Lincecum in the same rotation, gonna be nasty for years.</font>

Hanso Amore
11-05-2007, 05:14 PM
<font color=goldenrod>Apparently Lincecum's gonna be on the market for "a quality bat"

Sabean is beyond retarded if he trades Lincecum for a single bat</font> :|

Lincecum will be an ace in 3 years.

Lincecum for Damon if he doesn't go for Crede.

Side Note, how can the yanks unload Giambi....I think its time to get away from the old Big Money Losing way yanks and fully embrace the new age.

FakeLaser
11-05-2007, 05:27 PM
Kazmir, Lincecum, Shields is a pretty solid top of the rotation.

Jesus Shuttlesworth
11-05-2007, 05:34 PM
Red Sox are probably gonna shop Coco Crisp.They definitely are, I can't see them holding on to him as a back up.

I heard San Diego is interested, would be sick if they got Cla Meridith (no clue how to spell any of that lol) back

Dragon
11-05-2007, 06:28 PM
I'm not really a fan of that Crede for Damon swap. I seriously don't think Damon will be as bad next year; not to say I wouldn't trade him. I would in a second if a decent deal came up. This one just seems like a waste considering we pretty much have Joe Crede without the great defense in Wilson Betemit. Low average, subpar OBP's and still have some pop. They are pretty much one in the same. If Crede is Casman's choice he should just slide Betemit into 3rd base and trade Damon for something more useful.

FakeLaser
11-05-2007, 06:32 PM
I think Damon is fine in left. I'd rather trade Matsui, to be honest. That's never gonna happen because of the money he brings us from Japan, however.

I'm not a fan of Joe Crede either, I too would rather stick with Betemit. I think we should try to upgrade at 1st base where it'd be easier to make up for A-Rod's bat and keep Betemit at 3rd. I guess there really aren't too many attractive options out there, however, as Carlos Pena is going to resign with the Rays, and who knows how good he'd be anyway.

Hanso Amore
11-05-2007, 07:16 PM
I think Damon is fine in left. I'd rather trade Matsui, to be honest. That's never gonna happen because of the money he brings us from Japan, however.

I'm not a fan of Joe Crede either, I too would rather stick with Betemit. I think we should try to upgrade at 1st base where it'd be easier to make up for A-Rod's bat and keep Betemit at 3rd. I guess there really aren't too many attractive options out there, however, as Carlos Pena is going to resign with the Rays, and who knows how good he'd be anyway.

Honestly, I would never go into a season with Betemit at 3rd. He is HORRIBLE in the field. I would rather see Cairo starting. He is a great bench player, he can play a few positions and has some Pop for late inning at bats in relief. But he is NOT a day to day starter, especially to take over for AROD. Crede plays very good d. he was injured so his numbers were down, but look at his last full year stats. He hit .283, which is far from low, its about average. He put up 30 HRs, great for a 3B, and drive in 94, which would have been like 115 with NYs lineup. I will take that ANY day, as I dont see any options near that. I would like to see Matsui go as well, but it wont happen. Damon still is a good player, there just sint room for him, and I think he will be traded as he still has some real value. I think an upgrade at first could also be dpne after Damon for Crede, they could drop some prospects (none of the top ones) but like some AA guys that they only keep around to trade. Not ever guy in the system is meant to make the bigs.

Hanso Amore
11-05-2007, 07:18 PM
Add this in. Until last year when he was de-railed with injuries, Crede's offensive numbers went up every year he played. So He might still be on the rise.

He also hasa ring, and knows how to win and would be a nice addition to the few yanks left with a ring.

Hanso Amore
11-05-2007, 07:19 PM
Last thing...that made me think, what yanks are left from the last winning WS Team?

Mo, Posada, Jeter......Anyone else?

Jesus Shuttlesworth
11-05-2007, 09:01 PM
Also Jacoby Ellsbury is winning the Rookie of the Year next year in case you are curious

Speaking of year end awards, when are they announcing Dustin Pedroia and Josh Beckett as the Rookie of the Year and Cy Young?

ClockShot
11-05-2007, 09:14 PM
To answer Matt Allen Hanso's questions.

Cairo is with the Cardinals but is back on the free agent market I believe. Wouldn't mind seeing him back. He pulled his weight.

If Rivera and Posada to go play someplace else next season, Derek Jeter is the last Yankee of the Torre era.

Latest news is that Buster Olney is reporting that Greg Maddux is gonna get a 1 year $10 mil. deal with the Padres. However, had he pitched 2 more innings during this season, he would have been guarenteed $10 mil. for the season coming up.

FakeLaser
11-05-2007, 09:19 PM
Add this in. Until last year when he was de-railed with injuries, Crede's offensive numbers went up every year he played. So He might still be on the rise.

He also hasa ring, and knows how to win and would be a nice addition to the few yanks left with a ring.
I think 2006 was his career year. He'll never put numbers up like that again. He's got a pretty good glove, but that's it. Maybe Betemit isn't the answer but I don't like the Crede for Damon swap. I don't think Melky is a legit leadoff guy yet, and he's who'd be leading off if Damon were gone.

There's room for Damon on the team. It's Giambi there's no room for, but nobody will take him. I'd almost rather pay him to play somewhere else at this point than trade Damon, who is good and left and keeps Matsui in the DH spot. Giambi just makes the team worse.

We need a bat at one of the corners. It's that simple. We lost a huge, huge part of our offense, and we can't go with Mientkiwicz and Crede. Think about it.

Melky Cabrera
Derek Jeter
Bobby Abreu
Jason Giambi
Hideki Matsui
Jorge Posada
Robinson Cano
Joe Crede
Doug Mientkiewicz

You're counting on Melky and his .327 OBP to lead off. You're also counting on Giambi to cleanup. We don't even know if Jorge will be back. Our pitching will be better this year but we still need offense because our pitching is young and our bullpen is pretty much up in arms.

I guess it could work if we trade Damon for Crede and then sign Torii Hunter or Andruw Jones. Then shift Melky to left. Still, no true leadoff hitter. Jeter can bat leadoff but he prefers the 2 hole and he's perfect there. I guess I could see Melky in the two hole because he's a good bunter and has pretty good speed but he can't hit and run like Jeter. Cano could probably hit second but he swings at too many bad pitches and isn't really a good baserunner, which is what probably keeps him out of the top of the lineup anyway.

Cashman has got his work cut out for him, to say the least.

Jesus Shuttlesworth
11-05-2007, 09:31 PM
Murders Row

Hanso Amore
11-05-2007, 09:57 PM
I think 2006 was his career year. He'll never put numbers up like that again. He's got a pretty good glove, but that's it. Maybe Betemit isn't the answer but I don't like the Crede for Damon swap. I don't think Melky is a legit leadoff guy yet, and he's who'd be leading off if Damon were gone.

There's room for Damon on the team. It's Giambi there's no room for, but nobody will take him. I'd almost rather pay him to play somewhere else at this point than trade Damon, who is good and left and keeps Matsui in the DH spot. Giambi just makes the team worse.

We need a bat at one of the corners. It's that simple. We lost a huge, huge part of our offense, and we can't go with Mientkiwicz and Crede. Think about it.

Melky Cabrera
Derek Jeter
Bobby Abreu
Jason Giambi
Hideki Matsui
Jorge Posada
Robinson Cano
Joe Crede
Doug Mientkiewicz

You're counting on Melky and his .327 OBP to lead off. You're also counting on Giambi to cleanup. We don't even know if Jorge will be back. Our pitching will be better this year but we still need offense because our pitching is young and our bullpen is pretty much up in arms.

I guess it could work if we trade Damon for Crede and then sign Torii Hunter or Andruw Jones. Then shift Melky to left. Still, no true leadoff hitter. Jeter can bat leadoff but he prefers the 2 hole and he's perfect there. I guess I could see Melky in the two hole because he's a good bunter and has pretty good speed but he can't hit and run like Jeter. Cano could probably hit second but he swings at too many bad pitches and isn't really a good baserunner, which is what probably keeps him out of the top of the lineup anyway.

Cashman has got his work cut out for him, to say the least.

Good Points.

Can Cashman pull something big off? On the level of landing A-Rod. he has doen an amazing job of off-loading guys, maybe he can dump the Giambino and pull the trigger on a trade that would leave us with Damon.

Dragon
11-05-2007, 10:26 PM
Pettitte declines his player option.

Not a huge deal considering this was expected. The Yankees have said he has all the time he needs to decide and the offer would still be there and Andy said its the Yankees or retirement. I just hope to god its the Yankees.

ClockShot
11-05-2007, 10:56 PM
Pettitte declines his player option.

Not a huge deal considering this was expected. The Yankees have said he has all the time he needs to decide and the offer would still be there and Andy said its the Yankees or retirement. I just hope to god its the Yankees.

Agreed. We need him back in a bad way. Wang and the rest of the farm boys can't carry our pen forever.

Got my fingers crossed.

Loose Cannon
11-05-2007, 11:19 PM
nah, don't get rid of Damon. He's still one of the best lead off hitters in the game. Him and Jeter are perfect to lead things off. If they can pull off Crede without unloading someone useful, then do it. It's been proven so many times in the past that you don't need power hitters all over the lineup to win. Yea, we lost 50+ homers. there's other ways to manufacture runs. Crede is one of those guys I can see coming up big in the playoffs.

I'd love to deal Giambi or Matsui.

Hardkore Kidd J
11-05-2007, 11:59 PM
Did you hear Santana could be going to Boston? I heard there's speculation that they're trying to land Johan with............

Crisp

Buchholz

Lester

I don't think the Yankees could top that. Cause to top that we'd have to give up Joba or Hughes somewhere in the trade. And I am totally against trading Joba or Hughes. This could be an extremely bad thing if the Sox land him for this.

About the Damon/ Crede idea. I don't like it he is still a good lead off hitter. And IMO not bad as a Left fielder either. I say we keep him.

MVP
11-06-2007, 12:37 AM
Looks like Schilling is re-signing. Better not be for a lot.

Also Buchholz better not be going anywhere. Even if it's for Santana.

Jesus Shuttlesworth
11-06-2007, 12:52 AM
Schilling probably gonna get 13 million

SammyG
11-06-2007, 03:35 AM
Fucking gay. I want Schilling in LA

Conspiracy Victim Vito
11-06-2007, 09:37 AM
<font color=goldenrod>Ken Rosenthal says that he expects the Mets to make a "monster offer" to Jorge Posada, something like 5-years, $70 million as opposed to the 3-years, $40 million the Yanks might offer

-------

Wow. I want Jorge on the team and all but I dunno what you're gonna do with him when he finally breaks down. Now people have said he'd break down for years now but there's no way I see a 42-year old Jorge Posada catching. He could always move to 1B after 2008 but then if the Mets were to sign A-Rod you have all kinds of problems with Wright (he'd probably wind up in the outfield or something)

I still see the Yanks upping their offer to a 4th or 5th year to keep him in the Bronx where they know they can just DH him eventually.</font>

VonErichLives
11-06-2007, 11:27 AM
Report is schilling signed a year with a base between 6-8mil and invesntives putting him over 10mil.

Hardkore Kidd J
11-06-2007, 11:43 AM
Report is schilling signed a year with a base between 6-8mil and invesntives putting him over 10mil.

On what team did the report say he signed with? Did the Sox sign him back?

Conspiracy Victim Vito
11-06-2007, 02:08 PM
<font color=goldenrod>At his blog for the Journal News, Peter Abraham reports that by the end of this week the Yankees ‘could announce’ a three-year, $40 million deal for free-agent RHP Mariano Rivera.

----

No surprises there.</font>

FakeLaser
11-06-2007, 02:39 PM
Do itttttttttt

FakeLaser
11-06-2007, 02:45 PM
According to Mark Fainaru-Wada and Lance Williams of the San Francisco Chronicle, Jose Guillen "bought thousands of dollars of steroids and human growth hormone" from the Palm Beach Rejuvenation Center between May of 2002 and June of 2005.

Former big leaguers Matt Williams and Ismael Valdez are also implicated in the report. In an ESPN The Magazine story back in February, Guillen denied using steroids. "That is something I never considered in my life," Guillen said. "You're ruining your whole career. You're ruining your reputation. This really is hurting baseball right now, the image of the game." However, the newspaper details Guillen's orders, which reportedly totaled $19,000.

Loose Cannon
11-06-2007, 02:46 PM
nice.

fun fact: Mariano Rivera used to live right down the street from me in an apartment complex in New Rochelle, NY. This was back when he was just coming up.

McLegend
11-06-2007, 02:58 PM
Schilling going back to the Sox is pretty gay

MVP
11-06-2007, 04:14 PM
According to Mark Fainaru-Wada and Lance Williams of the San Francisco Chronicle, Jose Guillen "bought thousands of dollars of steroids and human growth hormone" from the Palm Beach Rejuvenation Center between May of 2002 and June of 2005.

Former big leaguers Matt Williams and Ismael Valdez are also implicated in the report. In an ESPN The Magazine story back in February, Guillen denied using steroids. "That is something I never considered in my life," Guillen said. "You're ruining your whole career. You're ruining your reputation. This really is hurting baseball right now, the image of the game." However, the newspaper details Guillen's orders, which reportedly totaled $19,000.

LOL explains Guillen's roid rage.

spilzrvd_69
11-06-2007, 04:33 PM
Glad that Schilling is back, Wakefield too. Our pitching should be good again. If we got Santana... wow. I am not too keen on giving up Clay but our starting rotation would be sick.

SammyG
11-06-2007, 04:38 PM
lol Ozzie Guillen on roids.

MVP
11-06-2007, 05:25 PM
Coco/Lester/Hansen/maybe Brandon Moss for Santana is what I would prefer to happen if we traded for him. Buchholz needs to stay in Boston, that way we can join the rotation when Schilling inevitably gets hurt.

Conspiracy Victim Vito
11-06-2007, 07:35 PM
<font color=goldenrod>Gold Gloves announced:

AL

P--Johan Santana, Minnesota
C--Ivan Rodriguez, Detroit
1B--Kevin Youkilis, Boston
2B--Placido Polanco, Detroit
SS--Orlando Cabrera, Los Angeles
3B--Adrian Beltre, Seattle
OF--Grady Sizemore, Cleveland
OF--Ichiro Suzuki, Seattle
OF--Torii Hunter, Minnesota

NL

P--Greg Maddux, San Diego
C--Russell Martin, Los Angeles
1B-- Derrek Lee, Chicago
2B--Orlando Hudson, Arizona
SS--Jimmy Rollins, Philadelphia
3B--David Wright, New York
OF--Jeff Francoeur, Atlanta
OF--Andruw Jones, Atlanta
OF--Aaron Rowand, Philadelphia
OF--Carlos Beltran, New York

4 Outfielders won the award due to a tie in the voting process.</font>

OssMan
11-06-2007, 07:39 PM
That would suck if Santana went to the Red Sox cause then I wouldn't want to root for him anymore. Also I would fucking tear my eyes out if the Mets sign Posada cause I hate him so damn much

ClockShot
11-06-2007, 07:45 PM
Couple small notes.

Tampa Bay is willing to trade Scott Kazmir. But they want some young top-level pitching prospects in return.

Eric Gagne is interested in going back to the Rangers. Tigers are keeping an ear to the ground also.

Hardkore Kidd J
11-06-2007, 08:16 PM
Coco/Lester/Hansen/maybe Brandon Moss for Santana is what I would prefer to happen if we traded for him. Buchholz needs to stay in Boston, that way we can join the rotation when Schilling inevitably gets hurt.

I don't know if that deal will be dealt. If the Yankees have to trade Hughes/Kennedy/Melky etc. to get Santana. If I was Minnestota I would at least ask for Ellsberry/ Lester/ Buchholz/Pedoria. But remember this teams don't really like to trade in their division. So there could be a possibility that Santana doesn't go to the Yankees or the Red Sox and goes to a NL team. If Buchholz doesn't go anywhere something tells me Johan isn't going there.

Hanso Amore
11-06-2007, 08:25 PM
I don't know if that deal will be dealt. If the Yankees have to trade Hughes/Kennedy/Melky etc. to get Santana. If I was Minnestota I would at least ask for Ellsberry/ Lester/ Buchholz/Pedoria. But remember this teams don't really like to trade in their division. So there could be a possibility that Santana doesn't go to the Yankees or the Red Sox and goes to a NL team. If Buchholz doesn't go anywhere something tells me Johan isn't going there.

Santana is going to go for a Kings ransom.

At least 2 top prospects, 1 day to day payer, and a SOLID starter.

I could see Clay Buckholz, Coco, Pedrioia and hansen for Santana....he is not going for cheap at ALL.

Jesus Shuttlesworth
11-07-2007, 12:19 AM
How did Coco Crisp not win the Gold Glove? He only made 1 error all year

At least Youk won it, definitely deserved it

Skippord
11-07-2007, 12:19 AM
NL

1B-- Derrek Lee, Chicago

4 Outfielders won the award due to a tie in the voting process.
Ok so no one from the best defensive team of all time

makes sense

Hanso Amore
11-07-2007, 08:20 AM
Ok so no one from the best defensive team of all time

makes sense

Its all popularity. Next year I bet Tulowitski wins now that their names are out there.

Conspiracy Victim Vito
11-07-2007, 09:38 AM
<font color=goldenrod>I love Wright and all but him winning the gold glove is nonsense.

On top of his errors I've seen him make countless wide and low throws that Delgado saved from being errors.</font>

YOUR Hero
11-07-2007, 11:13 AM
Glad that Schilling is back, Wakefield too. Our pitching should be good again. If we got Santana... wow. I am not too keen on giving up Clay but our starting rotation would be sick.

Giving up a prospect for a proven thing is never a bad move. Esp. if you can sign that proven person to a long term deal. I'd make that trade in a heart beat. Santana is a proven commodity and is still young and at the peak of his game.

VonErichLives
11-07-2007, 12:33 PM
Giving up a prospect for a proven thing is never a bad move. Esp. if you can sign that proven person to a long term deal. I'd make that trade in a heart beat. Santana is a proven commodity and is still young and at the peak of his game.

No shit, I'd send Lester, Buckholtz, Crisp and Hansen in a heart beat.

Could Lester or Bukcholtz win a CY young in the future? possible, but Santana can win one now and he's young and you'd sign him long term.

Beckett, Santana, Dice-K and... and... who the fuck cares at that point, you'd have the best 1-2-3 in baseball locked up for the next 5 years.

sorry, I think I just blew a load thinking about that...

Conspiracy Victim Vito
11-07-2007, 02:26 PM
<font color=goldenrod>I'd honestly rather the Mets aim West for a starting pitcher. A guy like Haren, Blanton, or even Cain would work well on the staff. Then go for Santana or someone in the next offseason (unless he gets dealt)</font>

Conspiracy Victim Vito
11-07-2007, 04:16 PM
<font color=goldenrod>The first offer is on the table for A-Rod: 8 years, $256 million

That's what I heard at least.......and surely it would have to be the Yankees because aren't they the only team that can talk money with him yet?

Yanks would take a HUGE PR hit if they re-signed him after saying they wouldn't 9 million times...</font>

Hanso Amore
11-07-2007, 06:29 PM
<font color=goldenrod>The first offer is on the table for A-Rod: 8 years, $256 million

That's what I heard at least.......and surely it would have to be the Yankees because aren't they the only team that can talk money with him yet?

Yanks would take a HUGE PR hit if they re-signed him after saying they wouldn't 9 million times...</font>

I doubt that will be as big a story as everyone is making it out to be. It would be dwarfed by ARods new huge contract.

Hanso Amore
11-07-2007, 07:40 PM
The New York Yankees will offer Alex Rodriguez arbitration according to the New York Post. And while the Yanks hold out only the slimest of hopes A-Rod would accept, there are two other reasons for the decisions.

Teams have until Dec. 1 to offer arbitration to their own free agents, and players must accept or reject by Dec. 7. If the player accepts, he is deemed a signed player and would either negotiate a contract or have an arbitrator decide the outcome.

If a Type-A-rated player such as A-Rod rejects arbitration, the team losing the free agent is rewarded with the new signing team's first-round pick (as long as the signing team finished with one of the majors' 15 best records the year before) and a sandwich pick between the first and second rounds.

Source: New York Post

Great way to get some extra picks. Good Job on Cashman, working the system.

SammyG
11-07-2007, 10:14 PM
Russel Martin: god

ClockShot
11-07-2007, 10:22 PM
A few tidbits here and there.

Yankees offered Mariano Rivera 3 years $39 mil.

For Miguel Cabrera. Yankees, Red Sox, and the Dodgers are the top contenders. Names flying around to be given up for him are as follows.

Yankees: Melky Cabrera and either Joba Chamberlain, Ian Kennedy, or Phil Hughes. (However, Hank Steinbrenner has stated that he won't be trading any of his prodigy arms.)

Red Sox: Jacoby Ellsbury and Jon Lester or Clay Buccholz.

Dodgers: Matt Kemp and Clayton Kershaw or Jon Meloan.

White Sox and Juan Uribe agree on a 1-year $4.5 mil. deal.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think that's a fair deal for Mo.

SammyG
11-07-2007, 10:35 PM
do NOT give up Matt Kemp. Love that guy

Hardkore Kidd J
11-07-2007, 11:40 PM
A few tidbits here and there.

Yankees offered Mariano Rivera 3 years $39 mil.

For Miguel Cabrera. Yankees, Red Sox, and the Dodgers are the top contenders. Names flying around to be given up for him are as follows.

Yankees: Melky Cabrera and either Joba Chamberlain, Ian Kennedy, or Phil Hughes. (However, Hank Steinbrenner has stated that he won't be trading any of his prodigy arms.)

Dodgers: Matt Kemp and Clayton Kershaw or Jon Meloan.

White Sox and Juan Uribe agree on a 1-year $4.5 mil. deal.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think that's a fair deal for Mo.

Yeah, not to expensive good job. Andy don't keep us waiting to long man . Just getting Pettitte and Posada back to go. I heard about the Yankees not going after Miguel. As long as they don't mind trading Ian etc. for Santana I don't mind. Miguel isn't really one of our needs. We need another starter to back up these 3 rookies.

ClockShot
11-07-2007, 11:45 PM
Just dug this up.

Wow. I know the Yankees are crazy and got money. But this is borderline insane.

According to MLBTradeRumors.com, the Yankees believe a package of Melky Cabrera, Chien-Ming Wang, and Ian Kennedy will get the Twins to trade Santana

Dragon
11-07-2007, 11:50 PM
The Yankees would be crazy not to include Kennedy in a deal for Cabrera. They apparently are saying there is no way they trade any of the big three pitchers for a bat but if Kennedy is needed to get Cabrera they should do it.

If the Yankees stick to what they have right now they will have one of the worst pairing of corner infielders offensively. I know pitching wins but when you have such little production at 1st and 3rd it is tough. If you get Cabrera (even if he has to move to 1st) it makes putting Betemit at third everyday a whole lot easier.

Dragon
11-07-2007, 11:53 PM
I don't think the Yankees would ever do that. You gain an ace but you lose your center-fielder, your current "ace" and another part of your rotation. Definitely not worth it. If they do that they could possibly be looking for a catcher, closer, third baseman, center fielder and starting pitcher this winter. Also, Wang would probably be terrible pitching on turf more times than not and I think the Twins realize that.

FakeLaser
11-08-2007, 12:11 AM
Just dug this up.

According to MLBTradeRumors.com, the Yankees believe a package of Melky Cabrera, Chien-Ming Wang, and Ian Kennedy will get the Twins to trade Santana
Johan Santana
Andy Pettitte
Phil Hughes
Joba Chamberlain
Mike Mussina

Not a bad starting 5, if you really think about it. Think about it this way. Santana is a huge upgrade over Wang. Kennedy isn't even guaranteed a rotation spot this year. Normally I'd hate trading any of these guys but Santana is a proven commodity and is still young.

The only real loss is Melky Cabrera. You'd have to believe the Yankees would push hard for Torii Hunter or Andruw Jones if that's the case, however. I'd rather have Hunter, at this point. I love Melky but it's not like he's an excellent player or anything. He's a good defender with a great arm and an ok bat. He's a fun player, but I don't know, it looks like if the Yankees can swing these deals they'd make the team a lot better. I'd hate to see him go, though.

The real problem, however, is a complete lack of a bat in the corner infield positions, as Dragon pointed out. We'd need to plug that hole in free agency, and there just aren't any decent options out there.

Internally, I've often wondered if Matsui could play 1st base, that way Giambi can DH instead of sitting on the bench as the most useless player in major league baseball, but I don't know.

You know what would be really scary? If they got Bonds to play 1st base.

FakeLaser
11-08-2007, 12:14 AM
Another real issue is the bullpen... we need another arm or two most likely. I wonder if we'll go after Gagne.

Conspiracy Victim Vito
11-08-2007, 12:19 AM
<font color=goldenrod>I honestly don't think Johan is going anywhere this off-season. But he'll certainly be dealt somewhere if the Twins are out of it by July 31st.</font>

FakeLaser
11-08-2007, 03:24 AM
I don't think he's going anywhere. I think the Yankees should just bid on him when he becomes a free agent in 2009. Bonderman, CC Sabathia and Jake Peavy will also be free agents.

Imagine this team opening up the new Yankee stadium:

C - Jorge Posada
1B - Mark Teixiera
2B - Robinson Cano
SS - Derek Jeter
3B - Miguel Cabrera
LF - Johnny Damon
CF - Melky Cabrera
RF - Austin Jackson

SP - Johan Santana
SP - Jake Peavy
SP - Phil Hughes
SP - Joba Chamberlain
SP - Chien Ming-Wang

CL - Mariano Rivera
RP - Humberto Sanchez
RP - Brad Lidge
RP - Ross Ohlendorf
RP - Kevin Whalen
RP - Jose Veras

It could happen...

SammyG
11-08-2007, 03:35 AM
lol stop dreaming

FakeLaser
11-08-2007, 03:37 AM
Yeah... as of right now I don't even know if Jorge or Mariano will be there... :(

SammyG
11-08-2007, 03:40 AM
Exactly.

FakeLaser
11-08-2007, 03:41 AM
Phillies acquire RHP Brad Lidge and infielder Eric Bruntlett from the Astros for outfielder Michael Bourn, RHP Geoff Geary and third baseman Mike Costanzo.

Great move by the Phillies. Allows Brett Myers to start again, which is better than they could have done on the free agent market or by trade. Lidge has stud closer potential, and at the very least will be an upgrade over Myers who will give the Phillies another solid starter to follow Cole Hamels.

spilzrvd_69
11-08-2007, 03:49 AM
I was going to do what FakeRazor did but I might as well just type out the Red Sox current roster.

SammyG
11-08-2007, 03:51 AM
Dodgers gonna go after Cabrera, hard.

Jeritron
11-08-2007, 03:59 AM
Ellsbury aint goin anywhere. Him and Pedroia are the goods.

VonErichLives
11-08-2007, 07:40 AM

never going to happen.

Ellsbury isn't on the market and if he was it sure wouldn't be with a top pitching prospect for Cabrera.

I think they get a deal done for Lowell, if they don't, maybe they make a deal for Cabrera but it wont include Ellsbury.

Hanso Amore
11-08-2007, 08:03 AM
<font color=goldenrod>I honestly don't think Johan is going anywhere this off-season. But he'll certainly be dealt somewhere if the Twins are out of it by July 31st.</font>

I think he moves now. The Twins have more leverage. If they wait for the Deadline, they will be on a sellers market, vice the off season buyers market. They would be trading for 80 cents on the dollar.

Hanso Amore
11-08-2007, 08:06 AM
Dodgers gonna go after Cabrera, hard.

That would be stupid, with Loney at 1st and LaRoche coming up, to sign a fat player with no defensive skill.

ClockShot
11-08-2007, 08:42 AM
Nothing much happened overnight execpt for the Brad Lidge deal.

"The Gambler" Kenny Rogers wants to play again. Tigers would love to bring him back in, but the wants to test the free agent market first.

Before I start posting news on Japanese players, anybody knows who this year's "Dice K" is?

Conspiracy Victim Vito
11-08-2007, 08:43 AM
<font color=goldenrod>Good pickup for the Phillies if they get the Lidge of 04-05. Allows them to move their best pitcher back into the rotation.</font>

YOUR Hero
11-08-2007, 11:02 AM
Braves want Glavine back. I wonder if he'd sign there for a 1 or 2 year deal and then become a bench boss. How much gas does he have left in the tank.
Angels admit (big surprise) to being interested in ARod

YOUR Hero
11-08-2007, 11:04 AM
Also

Word is Clemens is going to retire

:|

YOUR Hero
11-08-2007, 11:06 AM
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=yspsctnhdln>Report: Yankees to offer A-Rod arbitration
</TD></TR><TR><TD height=7><SPACER type="block" height="1" width="1"></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><STYLE type=text/css> td.yspwidearticlebody { font-size: 13.5px; }</STYLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=yspwidearticlebody>November 7, 2007
<SMALL>NEW YORK (TICKER) </SMALL>-- Alex Rodriguez (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/5275/;_ylt=AuP9qWmSAwReSSr4w3J63dXavrYF) apparently could remain a New York Yankee yet.
According to a report in the New York Post on Wednesday, the Yankees are ready to reverse their position of not dealing with Rodriguez in free agency by offering the All-Star third baseman arbitration. While it is unlikely Rodriguez would accept a one-year deal, that would be fine by the Yankees, who want to use arbitration to get something in return for the soon-to-be American League Most Valuable Player.
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
"It is about the two draft picks," Yankees general manager Brian Cashman told the paper. "By offering arbitration, we get the first-round pick of the team that signs him and a sandwich pick."

The Yankees have until December 1 to offer Rodriguez arbitration, which the player has until December 7 to accept or reject.
If he accepted, Rodriguez would surrender contractual benefits like his no-trade clause, but it would likely open the door to negotiate a new long-term deal with the Yankees.
The Yankees have said they would not attempt to re-sign Rodriguez after he opted out of the final three years of a 10-year, $252 million contract.
During the ongoing general manager's meetings in Orlando, several GMs have sounded reluctant to pursue Rodriguez given the sums - up to $350 million over 10 years - being suggested it will take. However, Rodriguez's agent reportedly has meetings scheduled with the New York Mets (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/teams/nym/;_ylt=AtR2RaBQYj5DJqBF8b1hSMnavrYF) and Los Angeles Angels (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/teams/laa/;_ylt=ApuTaFUvgR_GuC8x.5e5itzavrYF) of Anaheim with the teams expected to discuss the parameters of a possible deal.

YOUR Hero
11-08-2007, 11:07 AM
What do you guys make of MLB deciding to implement instant replay on questionable HRs/foul balls?

As of 2009, I believe it said.

Conspiracy Victim Vito
11-08-2007, 01:58 PM
<font color=goldenrod>Yeah I see Glavine signing a 1-year deal with Atlanta to reunite with Smoltz

Imagine if on July 31st the Pads are out of it so the Braves pick Maddux back up? :o I bet the three of them will all retire on the same year so they can be HOF eligible at the same time</font>

Supreme Olajuwon
11-08-2007, 02:20 PM
<font color=goldenrod>Gold Gloves announced:

NL

1B-- Derrek Lee, Chicago

4 Outfielders won the award due to a tie in the voting process.</font>

god that is such bullshit that Brandon Phillips didn't win the 2B gold glove. He lead all NL 2B in fielding % and even though it shouldn't matter in the voting process he was either the 1st or 2nd best offensive 2B in the NL this year too. What the fuck did Orlando Hudson do? Does anybody know where Orlando Hudson ranked among qualified 2B in the NL for fielding %? SEVENTH

how does this award have any credibility at all

Loose Cannon
11-08-2007, 02:37 PM
What do you guys make of MLB deciding to implement instant replay on questionable HRs/foul balls?

not signing on to this. I think it's stupid for baseball to have

Conspiracy Victim Vito
11-08-2007, 03:20 PM
<font color=goldenrod>Michael Silverman of the Boston Herald reports “whispers” that the Padres are letting teams know that Jake Peavy is available.</font>

OssMan
11-08-2007, 03:42 PM
LOL at Gold Gloves, that is all bull shit

Conspiracy Victim Vito
11-08-2007, 07:19 PM
<font color=goldenrod>Holy shit. Hearing on numerous sites now that the Tigers might deal Polanco to the Mets for Delgado.

What an assrape that would be.</font>

Jesus Shuttlesworth
11-08-2007, 08:07 PM
I witnessed Roger Clemens' last regular season game...fittingly it was at Fenway

ClockShot
11-08-2007, 08:18 PM
Rockies are looking around for a catcher.

Names being thrown around are Jose Molina, Paul Lo Duca, Jason Kendall, and Ramon Castro. But they are mainly zeroing in on Kendall and Mike Barrett.

VonErichLives
11-08-2007, 08:40 PM

I like it just for homeruns... i suppose you can then make the argument for fair/foul but I don't want to see the electronic strike zones and replays for everything... sometimes you get screwed but umps can better manager a game when they're not being double checked all the time.

word is the Sox offered Lowell 3-yrs gauranteed which is what he wanted... time will tell, also talk they're looking for a backup SS.

They met with Borus to hear about "A-rod" but they may have also discussed Gange and possible V-Teck since I think next year or the year after is his last year.

ClockShot
11-08-2007, 09:34 PM
Night time news.

Torii Hunter update. Preferred places to go were the Chicago White Sox, Nationals, and the Braves. The Dodgers, Royals, White Sox, Rangers, and Reds have expressed interest. The Astros and Nationals are out of the running.

Marlins are willing to trade Dontrelle Willis. Astros are interested. Back at the trade deadline, the Mets, Yankees, Indians, Rockies, Mariners, Dodgers, Red Sox and Diamondbacks had interest.

Aaron Rowand is being looked at by the Nationals. He's looking for something in the form of 6-years $84 mil.

SammyG
11-08-2007, 10:23 PM
We dont need Torii Hunter, wtf.

Skippord
11-08-2007, 10:46 PM
I guess the Rockies are really serious this time

OssMan
11-09-2007, 12:04 AM
How many 2B do the Mets need?

Conspiracy Victim Vito
11-09-2007, 12:08 AM
How many 2B do the Mets need?

<font color=goldenrod>Seeing as Luis Castillo is a free agent I'd say they need one. Polanco > Castillo. Castillo's been targeted by the Astros anyway

Plus I'd rather see Gotay off the bench</font>

OssMan
11-09-2007, 12:10 AM
Well I really want Gotay to start. Also I have always had this suspicion that Placido Polanco is on roids

Skippord
11-09-2007, 12:25 AM

Good

that would have really saved the Rockies some time

YOUR Hero
11-09-2007, 10:51 AM
I hope the Jays make an impact this off season. They did 2 years ago and then nothing really last year (no disrespect to The Big Hurt). If they don't make improvements this off season, I'll be disheartened.

Conspiracy Victim Vito
11-09-2007, 12:35 PM
<font color=goldenrod>Just like the Pads with Peavy and Twins with Johan, the Blue Jays are gonna see what they could get for Burnett, since he can opt out after 2008</font>

spilzrvd_69
11-09-2007, 12:36 PM
Yeah but Burnett is a pile.

Hanso Amore
11-09-2007, 02:18 PM
Yankees are interested in Tejada!

The dude is an RBI machine, imagine him in the NY lineup.

Hanso Amore
11-09-2007, 02:25 PM
If they could land Tejada for third, and Platoon Doug Meicantfuckingspellhisnameitz with Damon, this could look real good.

Dragon
11-09-2007, 03:08 PM
I'm not really sure if I want Tejada. Terrible defense and his power numbers have been dwindling every year. I guess getting off the roids will do that. If the Yankees can get him for next to nothing then fine but not if they have to give up big pieces.

Also, Cashman has said that Damon will be the left fielder next year. And I don't want Doug back really. We tried that whole 5 first basemen thing last year and it really didn't work. Assuming the Yankees get a third baseman there will be Phillips, Betemit and Giambi sharing time over there.

Hardkore Kidd J
11-09-2007, 04:11 PM
Just dug this up.

I'd do it. Why by 2009 we'd have Tabata and A-Jac coming up. A-Jac can play Center and Tabata plays right. Do you really want to put Melky in Left Field? I really see no use for Melky as more then a back up center fielder or left fielder. And I don't think Minnesota will take Jackson. If you ask me that's actually pretty cheap compared to what we could be paying. I think Santana is well worth those three. There is always some centerfielder who we could sign for a year or two until Jackson comes up.

Baltimore may want Farnsy. With Chris Ray on the DL I heard they might be interested. I hate Kyle Farnsworth anyway. So if we could manage a deal with Farnsworth and some other minor guys for Tejada I'd do it.

By the way there might be 3 first basemen but I don't think Phillips is gonna be there. From what I read they are aiming more towards Duncan/Betemit/Giambi all sharing time at first base.

Hanso Amore
11-09-2007, 05:16 PM
They are looking to dump tejada....they might go straight up for Farnsworth....or at least take some junk minors guys...it wont take much.

Conspiracy Victim Vito
11-09-2007, 05:53 PM
<font color=goldenrod>Silver Sluggers announced:

AMERICAN LEAGUE AL
C Jorge Posada, NYY
1B Carlos Pena, TB
2B Placido Polanco, DET
3B Alex Rodriguez, NYY
SS Derek Jeter, NYY
OF Vladimir Guerrero, LAA
OF Ichiro Suzuki, SEA
OF Magglio Ordonez, DET
DH David Ortiz, BOS

NATIONAL LEAGUE NL
C Russell Martin, LAD
1B Prince Fielder, MIL
2B Chase Utley, PHI
3B David Wright, NYM
SS Jimmy Rollins, PHI
OF Carlos Beltran, NYM
OF Matt Holliday, COL
OF Carlos Lee, HOU
P Micah Owings, ARI</font>

Dragon
11-09-2007, 06:11 PM
Oh yeah, completely forgot about Duncan at first too.

Minnesota wouldn't want Wang anyway I'm assuming. He isn't that far away from making big money as well. And Wang has won 19 games each of the past two seasons. I realize wins aren't a great way to judge a pitcher but do you really think Johan will win more than that? Maybe, but thats huge expectations. The whole point for the Yankees is to get the ace to make Wang a stronger option lower in the rotation. Not trading off two pieces of your rotation for one.

And I don't think Tejada would come as cheap as you think.

ClockShot
11-09-2007, 06:27 PM
Somes news.

The Crede/Damon deal is pretty much dead. Rumblings now going around is that Cashman would like to trade Matsui.

According to THE authority on baseball, the great Peter Gammons, there a rumor going around for a Coco Crisp for Hank Blalock deal in the works. Nobody has pushed a button yet.

As for Miguel Cabrera. This is from mlb4u.com

MLB.com's Joe Frisaro says the Miguel Cabrera trade talks are heating up. As you know, Cabrera is under team control for the 2008 and 2009 seasons. He might become more enticing if the acquiring team can talk to his agent prior to completion of a trade, with a long-term contract in mind. As far as I can tell Cabrera is represented by Arn Tellem and Fernando Cuza currently.

Frisaro says the Angels and Dodgers are in the lead for Cabrera. The Yankees, White Sox, Indians, and Tigers are also in the mix. However this Paul Hoynes article seems to indicate the Indians are fading on Cabrera. And I think it's questionable whether the White Sox have the goods. Frisaro doesn't include the Red Sox, which jives with Michael Silverman's info today.

Hanso Amore
11-09-2007, 07:55 PM
I never thought the yanks would dump matsui. I wouldnt mind, he has high value and it will never be higher. Damon as the everyday left fielder is good, he is a much better fielder.

The question is, where does Matsui go? Maybe Seattle to get all the marquee japanese players together?!

Cabrera is 2 seasons from being a DH, he needs to land on an AL team if he doesnt lose weight.

The Dodgers need to pass, let the young guys get better and save their trade for another player.

If they land him, expect Laroche to get traded at the dealine for a veteran pitcher in the playoff race.

SammyG
11-10-2007, 12:41 AM
Torre says it's a good possibility that A-rod will be in LA

Hardkore Kidd J
11-10-2007, 06:32 AM
I never thought the yanks would dump matsui. I wouldnt mind, he has high value and it will never be higher. Damon as the everyday left fielder is good, he is a much better fielder.

The question is, where does Matsui go? Maybe Seattle to get all the marquee japanese players together?!

Cabrera is 2 seasons from being a DH, he needs to land on an AL team if he doesnt lose weight.

The Dodgers need to pass, let the young guys get better and save their trade for another player.

If they land him, expect Laroche to get traded at the dealine for a veteran pitcher in the playoff race.

All though it's still a rumor Matsui might be going to the Dodgers. This is still just a rumor but we could get Matt Kemp and maybe even Broxton for Matsui and Andy Phillips. I'd do this deal in a fuckin microsecond but I know it's probably just a pipe dream.

http://www.nomaas.org/dodgers.html

ClockShot
11-10-2007, 10:28 AM
Besides the usual big name news. Here's a few small fish jumping out of the water.

Rangers are interested in the Royals' Joey Gathright. They might send Joaquin Arias in exchange.

Brew crew might trade Tony Gwynn Jr. Padres and Rangers have expressed interest.

Hanso Amore
11-10-2007, 11:03 AM
Kemp and Broxton for the fuckin win.

I would actually like Loney/Broxton, and then we dont have to worry about 1st base anymore and Damon in left, and Giambi/btemit at DH

Hanso Amore
11-10-2007, 01:13 PM
With Broxton n the pen, Farnsworth is free to go to orioles. Farnsworth and a prospect for Tejada, and then we have all our holes filled. Well, assuming we resign MO and Jorge.

Hanso Amore
11-10-2007, 01:16 PM
One more side though.

I really think Loney will be an all star 1st baseman in the coming years, and now if he has Donnie Baseball as a Bench coach and mentor, who knows where he could go.

Loney/Broxton for Matsui, the yanks NEED to do it.

YOUR Hero
11-10-2007, 01:45 PM
Unless Fanrsworth can put a wrinkle in his fastball, I don't see any value in him. He may throw hard, but it's straight and therefore very hitable. I'd say you guys are smoking crack if you think the O's would move Tejeda for Farnsworth. I now it would be a salary dump for the O's, but I'd expect they'd want some value or prospect for him.

SammyG
11-10-2007, 02:19 PM
The Dodgers aren't that retarded, we're not gonna give up Kemp/Broxton for Matsui. Kemp is a great hitter, and Broxton has an overpowering fastball. There is no way in hell we will do that. We're not giving up Loney either. He is definitely gonna be an All-Star next year.

Hardkore Kidd J
11-10-2007, 06:57 PM
The Dodgers aren't that retarded, we're not gonna give up Kemp/Broxton for Matsui. Kemp is a great hitter, and Broxton has an overpowering fastball. There is no way in hell we will do that. We're not giving up Loney either. He is definitely gonna be an All-Star next year.

Well stranger things have happened. BTW from the article it's Matsui/Andy Phillips for Kemp/Broxton. I would love for it to happen but like I said "I think it might be just a pipe dream"

And I don't think the Yankees have anymore interest in Tejada anymore. Think about it Miguel Tejada may not make the transition to 3rd base as easy as some may think. And I think it's a step in the wrong direction. They are really trying to focus on having more young talent now. So I think maybe they're not as interested as I thought.

SammyG
11-10-2007, 08:23 PM
I would murder Ned Coletti if he made that move. No way in hell.

Conspiracy Victim Vito
11-11-2007, 01:23 AM
<font color=goldenrod>Romero re-ups with the Phils, 3-years, $12 mil</font>

Conspiracy Victim Vito
11-11-2007, 01:24 AM
<font color=goldenrod>Hearing a lot of people, including Buster Olney, mention that there are serious talks going about of a straight up Jose Reyes for Johan Santana swap.

I seriously doubt it...and as much as I'd love Johan, I don't want to trade Reyes. The only way I see the Mets doing it is if they can absolutely assure that they are gonna get A-Rod.</font>

ClockShot
11-11-2007, 10:39 AM
If there's any Reds fans here, they're might have a rough offseason to aquire players.

A beat writer says that the Reds payroll is $75 mil. And they players they got locked in now take up $69 mil. Leaving only 6 mil. to use offseason.

Hanso Amore
11-11-2007, 11:14 AM
If there's any Reds fans here, they're might have a rough offseason to aquire players.

A beat writer says that the Reds payroll is $75 mil. And they players they got locked in now take up $69 mil. Leaving only 6 mil. to use offseason.

The reds are probably my favorite NL team, this is a shame. First off, they need to trade griffey to the AL and let him DH.

Second, they need to dumb whatever is sucking up the rest of the payroll, shit, I mean all they have is Dunn after KGJ, where is that money going?

Dragon
11-11-2007, 01:15 PM
Reports that it would take a package around Cano to get Santana for the Yanks.

Honestly don't see that happening. Losing two of our best hitters in A-Rod and Cano would be hard to deal with next season. Especially considering that they would probably want a decent amount more. The reports were saying that the Twins are looking for young position players more than pitching, so that kind of hurts the Yankees chances unless they're willing to deal Cano. Which I don't think Cashman would do.

br0ken
11-11-2007, 02:35 PM
Arod to Mets as a free agent. Then they trade Reyes to get Santana.

Hanso Amore
11-11-2007, 05:19 PM
Fuck Arod, Reyes is 10 years younger and a better fit for their team, they lose him and who beats lead off and scores runs? Steal bases? That would be stupid, so they wil probably do it.

SammyG
11-11-2007, 06:16 PM
L-A-Rod

ClockShot
11-11-2007, 07:31 PM
Some news.

Yankees have made it clear they aren't trading Johnny Damon. However, the White Sox and the Braves had some interest in him.

Expect the Yankees to finally dump Carl Pavano during the winter.

Dragon already covered the Santana/Cano whispers.

In some interesting news, Carl Crawford is being brought up. Tampa Bay has zero interest in trading him but something big might change their minds. The Brewers wanna set something up with the Yankees to make a 3 team trade. Brewers getting Crawford, while Yanks get either Ben Sheets and or Chris Capuano.

br0ken
11-11-2007, 07:41 PM
Ben Sheets for Crawford? I don't like that for Milwaukee. Sheets got hurt last year but he is so underrated and dominant when he is healthy. Bad bad bad,

br0ken
11-11-2007, 08:08 PM
Fuck Arod, Reyes is 10 years younger and a better fit for their team, they lose him and who beats lead off and scores runs? Steal bases? That would be stupid, so they wil probably do it.

You trade Santana for Reyes. That is a good deal.
You pick up Arod for free agent. If you got a team would you want Reyes? or would you want Sanatana and Arod?

Hanso Amore
11-11-2007, 09:18 PM
You trade Santana for Reyes. That is a good deal.
You pick up Arod for free agent. If you got a team would you want Reyes? or would you want Sanatana and Arod?

See, I guess it depends on what kind of owner you are.

I would want reyes and Santana. I know thats not the scenario, but Reyes is not even in his prime, and he is arguably the best leadoff hitter in baseball, as well as best SS. he has 15 years of top notch play left. A rod does not even have the 10 he wants on a contract. Yes getting him now = big splash, but what he brings more than Reyes, minus what you lose in reyes, is not worth the replacement. never trade your best everyday player for a pitcher. I would keep reyes, and try and work for Santana some other way.

What happens if you trade Reyes and A Rod doesnt sign.

I dunno, maybe Im just stupid.

FakeLaser
11-12-2007, 02:30 AM
If the Yankees trade Cano I will stop watching baseball.

Loose Cannon
11-12-2007, 11:10 AM
Reports that it would take a package around Cano to get Santana for the Yanks.

nope. fuck off with that.

Dragon
11-12-2007, 11:16 AM
Yeah I agree, Cano is the only young everyday player we have that could be a star right now. Melky is a solid player but not even in Cano's league.

YOUR Hero
11-12-2007, 11:22 AM
Did you guys read Chipper Jones' little rant about Wright winning the Gold Glove?

Loose Cannon
11-12-2007, 11:22 AM
I'm liking the Ben Sheets thing. depends on for who. Unfortunately though, I can see him as another tragedy to flounder on the Yankees.

Loose Cannon
11-12-2007, 11:23 AM
yea, I did. I mean the guy has the wright to have a chip on his shoulder.

Dragon
11-12-2007, 11:25 AM
Not really sure on Sheets. Seems injured every single year and if we are giving up one of the big three pitchers (hopefully Kennedy, but that probably wouldn't even be enough) you'd want someone you can depend on.

YOUR Hero
11-12-2007, 11:48 AM
You know, I don't see the Yankees being big spenders or dealers this year. I see them resigning most of their free agents and then making maybe one move, but I see them going with what they got. I see them giving some of their younger guys a chance to prove their worth.

YOUR Hero
11-12-2007, 11:53 AM
Torii Hunter to the Royals or to the White Sox?

That seems to be what I'm reading as the top two contenders at least at the moment.

Dragon
11-12-2007, 12:24 PM
Yeah, I kind of agree with you. A lot of people seem to think the Yankees will make a huge splash this offseason but I don't see it. They get mentioned in a ton of trades because they do have some holes to fill and have the prospects and money to do it if they wanted to.

A-Rod probably won't be back, I don't see them getting Cabrera and I don't see them getting Santana or any pitcher near his quality. They would probably get a 3rd baseman but not a big star or anything. As much as I'd like to have Santana or Cabrera it will cost some of Joba, Hughes and Cano and I don't want that to happen or do I see it happening.

They pretty much need Posada, Rivera and Pettitte back and then go from there. I think Pettitte is huge because if he doesn't come back you're looking at Wang, Joba, Hughes, Mussina and Kennedy. Which means needing to sign another pitcher or making a trade.

FakeLaser
11-12-2007, 01:25 PM
I don't want Sheets. Always hurt. Plus he's an NL pitcher, meaning he won't pitch as well in the AL... especially in New York.

We might as well deal for Mark Prior.

Jesus Shuttlesworth
11-12-2007, 02:13 PM
I hope the Yankees get both

Might as well pick up Matt Clement while they are at, he's on the free agent block this year

FakeLaser
11-12-2007, 03:46 PM
Pedroia and Ryan Braun are your rookie of the years. Tulowitzki should have won in the NL because Braun's horrible defense almost negates what he did with the bat, but whatever. He was the most productive hitter in MLB besides A-Rod which is pretty deserving.

From Rotoworld:
Dustin Pedroia received 24 of the 28 first-place votes on his way to being named AL Rookie of the Year on Monday.

He was listed second on the remaining ballots to total 132 points. Delmon Young finished in second place with three first-place votes and 56 points total. Eight of the 28 voters declined to place him on the ballots. We hope that was because he was a below average regular all year long and not because of his late-season attitude issues. Claiming the remaining first-place vote was Brian Bannister, who finished third with 36 points. Also receiving votes were Daisuke Matsuzaka (12 points), Reggie Willits (11), Hideki Okajima (3), Josh Fields (1) and Joakim Soria (1).

Ryan Braun edged Troy Tulowitzki 128 points to 126 to claim NL Rookie of the Year honors on Monday.

Both were very deserving. Braun posted historic numbers for a rookie after being recalled in late May, hitting .324/.370/.634 with 34 homers. Tulowitzki, on the other hand, was solid offensively from Opening Day on and played Gold Glove-quality defense at shortstop. The two finished with 128 and 126 points respectively. Braun was first on 17 ballots, second on 14 and third on one, while Tulo received the other 15 first-place votes and was listed second on the remaining ballots. Hunter Pence finished third with 15 points, topping Chris Young's 10. Kyle Kendrick, who received the lone top-two vote that didn't go to Braun or Tulo, totaled seven points.

Also the Tigers traded Omar Infante for Jacque Jones. Meh. The Cubs wanted to get rid of him for a while, I guess he's an okay bat and has a pretty good glove so he can help the Tigers. Infante is a decent enough backup, I guess.

McLegend
11-12-2007, 03:49 PM
I would like to say the NL not having a DH is retarded.

That is all

ClockShot
11-12-2007, 05:24 PM
I read on my cell phone today that Posada is really close to resigining with the Yankees.

That's a plus. One down, two to go.

Mariners are on the prowl for starters.

Other than that and the Jaques Jones trade, it's a quiet day until something pops tonight.

Skippord
11-12-2007, 05:52 PM
What the hell?

Tulo >>>>>>> Braun

SammyG
11-12-2007, 06:28 PM
Fuck that, legend. I love it how the pitcher has to bat too. That's real baseball.

Jesus Shuttlesworth
11-12-2007, 06:40 PM
Dustin Pedroia baby

ClockShot
11-12-2007, 09:24 PM
D-Backs are trying to resign Tony Clark. He's pretty much the only top 1st baseman out there right now. But negotiations are getting nowhere.

Asking price for Miguel Cabrera are 4 top prospects. Angels are the current frontrunners right now.

Tom Glavine is just about ready to get locked in with the Braves. They're gonna throw him a 1-year 8-9 mil. deal.

McLegend
11-12-2007, 11:33 PM
Fuck that, legend. I love it how the pitcher has to bat too. That's real baseball.
That is correct, but it's a pretty big competitive advantage for the American league.

It doesn't make much sense anymore.

Jesus Shuttlesworth
11-12-2007, 11:41 PM
I personally love the DH, I totally understand the argument against it, but I still really like it. Definitely not a 'baseball purist' or anything

McLegend
11-12-2007, 11:46 PM
It's awsome.

Just for me personally the Phillies could have kept Jim Thome and Ryan Howard. Or we could get Barry Bonds this off season.

Sadly that can't happen.

ClockShot
11-12-2007, 11:52 PM
From mlb4u.com

Andy Pettitte, Al Reyes, Cesar Izturis, Jamey Wright, Jose Guillen, Jeff Conine and Craig Biggio filed for free agency on Monday.

Biggio and Conine have already announced their retirement and Pettitte is leaning toward retirement.

Reyes has a $1M option for 2008 on his contract that the Rays are expected to exercise before a Thursday deadline.

Izturis has a $5.85M option for 2008 that the Pirates are expected to decline by the end of the week.

According to our records, Tadahito Iguchi and Ramon Ortiz are the only players eligible for free agency that have yet to file official papers to become free agents.

Kenshin Kawakami and Naoyuki Shimizu are among Japanese players who may still file for free agency in Japan until Wednesday and become eligible to sign with MLB teams.

Starting at 9PM PST today, free agents may sign with any team.

Dragon
11-13-2007, 12:15 AM
Looks like Posada has signed for 4 years/52 million

Definitely overpaying and giving one too many years but it had to be done. A couple years and he'll be a first-baseman/DH so not horrible. The upside of being in the AL I guess. The fact that we have a part-time pinch hitter in Giambi making 20 million next year really doesn't make 13M look too bad down the road

Now if Mariano gets signed soon it will restore some order to the Yankees.

FakeLaser
11-13-2007, 03:34 AM
Great, great news.

Conspiracy Victim Vito
11-13-2007, 08:45 AM
<font color=goldenrod>Yeah, really the only chance another team signs Posada is if they threw him like 5 years, $70 mil...which is obscene. Truth be told I'd prefer 2-3 years of Lo Duca over 5 years of Posada.

I just hope they get Lo Duca back now instead of going for fucking Torrealba or something</font>

Loose Cannon
11-13-2007, 11:48 AM
great news. Going to be interesting in his 4th year. He'll be 40 by then. He'll go down with Dickey, Howard, Berra and Munson though...I dare even say as the best Yankee catcher ever.

Innovator
11-13-2007, 11:56 AM
Posada is now the highest paid catcher in history

Dragon
11-13-2007, 12:08 PM
The best thing he has going his way is that he didn't start catching full-time until he was in his later 20s so he hasn't even been catching for 10 years yet. Definitely saves some wear and tear compared to other catchers his age.

Dragon
11-13-2007, 12:19 PM
Kinda wished Lowell would have signed with Boston before becoming a free agent. Hopefully this doesn't mean Cashman throws a bunch of money at him. Also, if they lose Lowell you know that means A-Rod would probably be their #1 choice. And I gotta be honest, a lineup with Ortiz-ARod-Manny in the middle of it is not something I want to see.

MVP
11-13-2007, 12:50 PM
I'm still uneasy about getting A-Rod. Only because of the negative attention he brings with him, and of course his inevitably enormous contract. If the Sox actually sign him I'll probably embrace it, though I prefer signing Lowell 100%.

Loose Cannon
11-13-2007, 03:46 PM
fuck you Joe Torre. woooo

Jesus Shuttlesworth
11-13-2007, 04:00 PM
CC wins the Cy Young, wish Beckett would have won it but whatever. Would rather have a guy show up in the post season and not win the Cy Young then win it and no show the most important time of the year.

SammyG
11-13-2007, 05:38 PM
Can not believe Beckett didn't win it, though.

MVP
11-13-2007, 05:41 PM
CC wins the Cy Young, wish Beckett would have won it but whatever. Would rather have a guy show up in the post season and not win the Cy Young then win it and no show the most important time of the year.

Agreed

FakeLaser
11-13-2007, 06:20 PM
CC deserved it. For once they didn't pick the guy with the most wins. CC had a lower ERA, more K's, less walks, pitched 40 more innings and threw 4 shutouts to 1.

Not taking anything away from Beckett, he was nasty this year.

Joba Chamberlain should have won but whatever

Jesus Shuttlesworth
11-13-2007, 06:23 PM
Can not believe Beckett didn't win it, though.
I can, their stats where pretty similar but CC picked 40 more innings.

VonErichLives
11-13-2007, 07:05 PM
ok, doesn't look great for Lowell in Boston and I can't blame him or the Sox, if someone will give him a gaurenteed 4th year over 10mil/year why not take the money.

As for the Red Sox, I can't fault the Sox... so far everytime the sox make a limit for an older player and he goes elsewhere they have been right (Nomaar, Pedro, Damon).

RP
11-13-2007, 07:11 PM
Sabathia was almost a lock considering the voters are urged not to use the playoffs as a way to vote ( i think the votes are due before the playoffs start )

Joba Chamberline is my 2nd favorite pitcher.

Conspiracy Victim Vito
11-13-2007, 07:21 PM
<font color=goldenrod>I'm hearing Carlos Silva to the Mets is looking very possible. An improvement over what we've got, definitely. The biggest concern I have is that he borders on 1 home run allowed per start.

But even with Silva, the Mets still need another starter. I'd hate to see Milledge go, but I'd give him up for a Joe Blanton type. The Mets need to aim out West for a starter, I think.

Pedro-Blanton-Maine-Perez-Silva is a pretty damn good rotation with El Duque getting moved to the bullpen in a limited role</font>

ClockShot
11-13-2007, 07:38 PM
Well. Part one of three of priority one is done. Get the other two and we can move on and do some damage. Until then, it's hope and pray.

Word going around is that the Yanks offered Mariano Rivera 3-years, $45 mil.

The Cubs trade OF Craig Monroe to the Twins for a player to be named later. Fat chance it's Santana.

MVP
11-13-2007, 08:18 PM
Santana would never be a "player to be named later", nor would that trade ever happen anyway.

Jesus Shuttlesworth
11-13-2007, 09:11 PM
Yanks offered Rivera 3 years/45 mil.......wow

br0ken
11-13-2007, 10:42 PM
They give to CC for compensation to not winning the World Serie