PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one who hates...

Lock Jaw
06-30-2009, 05:24 PM
The whole contractual rematch clause deal?

I know it has been around forever, but it seems to me like they like throwing about the term more and more over the past few years.

It just seems... I dunno... lazy to me. Like the writers want to book a rematch and rather than making it so that the person in question has a legitimate claim to a rematch, they just use this rematch clause thing.

Now if someone came out and challenged the new champ to a rematch, not mentioning the whole clause deal, I wouldn't mind it so much.

Worst is when the rematch is like the next week or something. Cheapens title bouts. They should at least build to it with at least like a week buffer or something.

I don't know. It just makes me angry every time someone throws about the term.

The Pope
06-30-2009, 05:29 PM
I agree that makes it look all weak and pointless.
Not sure what I mean.

Pardeep 619
06-30-2009, 05:41 PM
It's annoying as fuck when a certain wrestler uses a rematch clause on a particular occasion, but when they are entitled to another rematch clause later on in their career it gets ignored. IIRC RVD was the first person to ever use a rematch clause when he wrestled Benoit fo the I.C. title at Summerslam 2002, yet he wasn't entitled to a rematch clause when he lost the WWE title in July 2006.

Xero
06-30-2009, 05:48 PM
I think it would be better if they only put it in Big Four PPV contracts. That takes away the crutch while still leaving it there.

Also, should be open for like 3 months or something, even if the title changes hands.

TSI
07-01-2009, 12:47 AM
I think they use it because they try to make the title legit like boxing and mma, as both normally have rematch clauses...however it does seem like the lazy way out

#1-norm-fan
07-01-2009, 11:53 PM
I have no problem with it. I think realistically when someone loses a title, they should get a rematch.

Mr. Nerfect
07-03-2009, 04:48 AM
It does seem like a booking crutch, and it doesn't really make sense when guys don't cash in. Sometimes the rematches are distorted with other men, too. It adds drama when a match has a "we might not see this again for a while" feel to it. But if there's a title change, we're guaranteed the very same thing at the next PPV.

Volare
07-03-2009, 07:13 AM
Hmm, so does that mean due to me being a member of TPWW, that in the contract for the sign up for the King of The Forum competetion, I can get a rematch to become the winner?

Kane Knight
07-03-2009, 09:57 AM
I'm not sure what would be more legit than a rematch clause as a reason to get a shot at the title.

#1-norm-fan
07-03-2009, 12:56 PM
I'm not sure what would be more legit than a rematch clause as a reason to get a shot at the title.

What he said.

The ex-champ shouldn't just lose one match and be forgotten about. He should get one chance to prove he wasn't having an off night or the it wasn't a fluke.