PDA

View Full Version : Official Smackdown vs. Raw 2009 Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

Evil Vito
03-27-2008, 09:22 PM
<font color=goldenrod>WWE SmackDown vs. Raw 2009 is Official
This year's installment is chockfull of tag team action, DLC, and a whole lot more.
by Greg Miller

March 27, 2008 - It's been about four months since we had any substantial grappling news from THQ, but the Los Angeles County-based publisher put an end to that today: WWE SmackDown vs. Raw 2009 is coming.

Although it won't be formally announced until tomorrow, THQ has confirmed with IGN that the latest installment in the storied wrestling franchise will be making its way to the PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Wii, Nintendo DS, PSP, PlayStation 2 and mobile devices this fall while boasting a bevy of bells and whistles.

On the Xbox 360, PS3, PSP and PS2, the biggest change in the action will come with a strong focus on tag teams. For the first time ever, players will be able to team up for co-op storylines in the Road to WrestleMania mode and take advantage of an overhauled tag structure to earn attributes on their way to the top. Tag teams -- both in and out of Road to WrestleMania -- will utilize the same momentum meter, break opponents with double team finishers and make "hot tags" for the win. Also making its debut will be Create-A-Finisher, which allows fans to choose from more than 500 animations in their quest to build the ultimate move. Specifically on the 360 and PS3, fans can look for the debut of SVR downloadable content, although THQ is mum about what it might be.

WWE SmackDown vs. Raw 2009 marks the franchise's second title on the Wii, and THQ looks to be building on the motion controls and interactivity of the first outing. The game promises more match types, more weapons and the debut of online gameplay, which will feature matches and rankings. Although the title will pack Road to WrestleMania like the aforementioned versions, the Wii copy of SVR '09 will be the only place to find interactive entrances and victory celebrations that range from posing on the ramp to slapping the taste out of a beaten opponent. Successfully get the crowd hyped on your way to the ring and you'll get an in-match bonus.

Seasoned players who pick up SVR '09 on the Nintendo DS will probably be in for more than a few surprises. Gone are the stylus-heavy controls of last year and in their place is a more traditional d-pad/grapple system gamers that have grown up with, although the stylus will still play some part in the action. Being developed by Tose, the folks behind Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime, the DS version of SVR '09 will pack a season mode with an RPG approach. Players will interact with Superstars, upgrade their abilities and complete missions to become the champion. Create-A-Superstar will make its Nintendo handheld debut, there will be a larger roster of Superstars, and the title will pack a wealth of new match types.

Rest in peace.
Rest in peace.
"The ambitious cross-platform launch of WWE SmackDown vs. Raw 2008 last year yielded tremendous growth for the franchise, as we delivered multiple gameplay experiences across seven platforms and greatly expanded our audience of WWE videogame fans," said Bob Aniello, senior vice president, worldwide marketing, THQ. "With dynamic new features and the extension of our gameplay experience through downloadable content, WWE SmackDown vs. Raw 2009 will bring more console, handheld and wireless gamers together to enjoy the virtual world of WWE."

Think that's all the news you'll get on this momentous day? It's not even close. First, let's confirm that Chris Jericho, Jeff Hardy, Matt Hardy, Randy Orton, Mr. Kennedy, Undertaker and John Cena are all in the game. Second, why not click on over to our interview with THQ Creative Manager Cory Ledesma for nine pages of information about what Road to WrestleMania is all about, hints on the DLC and tons more. Then, go download the brand new trailer. Next, grab some screens from the gallery below. </font>

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/862/862440p1.html

<font color=goldenrod>There's the link for the interview...not gonna post 9 pages</font>

Evil Vito
03-27-2008, 09:24 PM
<font color=goldenrod>Momentum-shifting tags

Co-op season

Better AI

DLC

Create-a-fucking move</font> :drool:

DS
03-27-2008, 09:39 PM
They promise better AI each year and it never really gets any better. I wonder if the Create-A-Finisher only lets you use that move for the finisher or if you can do that for all of your moves.

KingofOldSchool
03-28-2008, 07:34 AM
DLC will probably just be dumb shit like "Download John Cena's new shirt!!!!" or "Download Funaki's new entrance music!!!!"

Which of course means no more custom soundtracks.

Oh and here is a screen shot (of course this probably won't be the ACTUAL graphics in the game)

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/9830/wwesmackdownvsraw2009imze0.jpg

Kane Knight
03-28-2008, 08:27 AM
Imagine if those were in-game graphics.

Kalyx triaD
03-28-2008, 09:32 AM
I'm digging it... But there are many areas of gameplay I need to hear about before I preorder.

KingofOldSchool
03-28-2008, 09:59 AM
And it's funny that they are supposedly going to devote more time to the tag team mode than WWE actually does in real life.

And think of all of the real life tag teams that will actually be in the game. Miz and Morrison, Batista and Mysterio, DX for one night only, Batista and Flair, The Hardys, ummmm I'd ROFL if they actually gave us Londrick this year.

Dark-Slicer Diago
03-28-2008, 10:03 AM
Sounds good, I hope they actually deliver on these promises though.

PorkSoda
03-28-2008, 10:16 AM
I'm too lazy to read. What is DLC?

DS
03-28-2008, 10:43 AM
Downloadable content.

Which will only be worth it if it's new wrestlers.

Dark-Slicer Diago
03-28-2008, 11:17 AM
IGN: What about downloadable content?

Ledesma: This is very exciting. I think you mentioned at the very beginning of the call that you're asking, "What do we take away from some of the press or the fan feedback that we got from last year's game?" and a lot of times you hear "the roster."

IGN: Yeah.

Ledesma: The roster. The roster. The roster. We're committed to the rosters because it's the most important thing to the fans, and it is fairly important. We want to make sure that we're as up to date as possible. It's very difficult from a game development standpoint to offer a Superstar that, you know, debuts a month or two months before we ship. It really ties our hands at what we can do, so we want to offer downloadable content that players can get the most up-to-date experience possible.

IGN: Does that mean you're going to have wrestlers that you can download?

Ledesma: [long pause] ... we're not discussing -- [laughter]. The one thing that I can say is that we will have content available for use in the game that will update your experience for SmackDown vs. Raw 2009.

and for us PS3 owners

IGN: Also real quick, too, I know last year on the core SKU, there was a little set of differences between PS3 and 360 -- namely that 360 could import its own music and then PS3 had the first-person mode. Are we going to see more of a crossover there? Are PS3 people going to be able to take music off their hard drives this year?

Ledesma: Yes, we are planning on the ability to rip music for the PS3 and offer that for created entrances. That option will be available. The reason that it we didn't do it last year was simply because the Sony libraries weren't ready for us to do it. It wasn't because we have something against the PS3 owners or being selfish for the Xbox owners. It was just simply a matter of not being able to do it. So, this year, we're really excited that those libraries are available and able to offer that feature.

all from the artical Vito posted.

Evil Vito
03-28-2008, 11:39 AM
DLC will probably just be dumb shit like "Download John Cena's new shirt!!!!" or "Download Funaki's new entrance music!!!!"

Which of course means no more custom soundtracks.

<font color=goldenrod>Thankfully custom soundtracks are back in...but I wouldn't be shocked if they sold new themes and idiots go and buy them anyway thinking they'll be the highest possible quality.

Oh and I wouldn't be surprised if Londrick makes it in this year, afterall they kept La Res out for ages despite title reigns and finally put them in after they had split. :shifty:

At least this year with all the talk of the revamped tag mode and storyline we'll probably get the current tag champs in the game...pretty certain the last game to have that was HCTP</font> :o

Dark-Slicer Diago
03-28-2008, 12:27 PM
I'm pretty sure the last time that happened was HCTP aswell, well, one set of Tag Team Champions that is as I think La Resistancé were the Raw champions at the moment.

Kane Knight
03-28-2008, 12:42 PM
I'm betting themes will primarily be set to download with a new character.

Blitz
03-28-2008, 08:59 PM
Betting right now that Create A Move will be a bare shadow of what everyone wants it to be.

Hopefully I'm wrong.

Kane Knight
03-28-2008, 09:05 PM
Sadly, you'll be right.

Bad Company
03-28-2008, 09:18 PM
looks shit, I'm not surprised.

Xero
03-28-2008, 09:24 PM
http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/9830/wwesmackdownvsraw2009imze0.jpg

Those are almost the exact graphics - slightly modified with lighting and textures - they've been using for promos since like DoR (maybe SvR). Time for them to step it up.

Kenny
03-28-2008, 09:58 PM
I'm not too educated on the PS3. Do you have to pay for the content that you download? If so, how does it work?

Is there a monthly service fee? Or do you pay per the content that you download?

Kane Knight
03-28-2008, 10:02 PM
Which is why it'd be great if those were the noncutscene graphics.

D Mac
03-29-2008, 01:02 AM
As long as there's a good season mode and no 24/7 mode, I'm in.

Evil Vito
03-29-2008, 11:18 AM
<font color=goldenrod>It's almost WM time, and I'm bored...which means its time for my annual roster prediction that winds up being completely wrong and not even close.

Even after the huge fuckup that was last year's roster...I'll still go with 60 playable characters or something. And I'll make the (probably bad) assumption that they'll try to put more teams in the game...even ones that have broken up or have La Res syndrome.

The deadline seems to be shortly after WM...so this prediction is pending no new debuts immediately after WM, releases, or people killing their families:

ACTIVE ROSTER
1. Ashley
2. Batista
3. Beth Phoenix
4. Big Daddy V
5. Big Show
6. Brian Kendrick
7. Candice Michelle
8. Carlito
9. Chavo Guerrero
10. Chris Jericho*
11. Chuck Palumbo
12. CM Punk
13. Cody Rhodes
14. Curt Hawkins
15. Edge
16. Festus
17. Finlay
18. Hardcore Holly
19. Jamie Noble
20. JBL
21. Jeff Hardy*
22. Jesse
23. John Cena*
24. John Morrison
25. Kane
26. Kelly Kelly
27. Kofi Kingston
28. Maria
29. Mark Henry
30. Matt Hardy*
31. Melina
32. Michelle McCool
33. Mr. Kennedy*
34. MVP
35. Paul London
36. Randy Orton*
37. Rey Mysterio
38. Santino Marella
39. Shawn Michaels
40. Shelton Benjamin
41. Snitsky
42. The Great Khali
43. The Miz
44. The Undertaker*
45. Tommy Dreamer
46. Torrie Wilson
47. Triple H
48. Umaga
49. William Regal
50. Zack Ryder

LEGENDS
1. Bret Hart
2. Dusty Rhodes
3. Floyd Mayweather (seriously, I can WWE telling them to put him in as a ‘bonus’ guy)
4. Mick Foley
5. Ric Flair
6. Roddy Piper
7. Ron Simmons
8. Steve Austin
9. Terry Funk
10. The Rock

NON-PLAYABLES
1. Armando Estrada
2. Colin Delaney (replaces the generic green guy as the guy you test your moves against in Create-a-Moveset) :shifty:
3. Jerry Lawler
4. Jim Ross
5. Joey Styles
6. Jonathan Coachman
7. Justin Roberts
8. Lilian Garcia
9. Matt Striker (token manager storyline)
10. Michael Cole
11. Mickie Henson
12. Mike Chioda
13. Nick Patrick
14. Shane McMahon
15. Stephanie McMahon
16. Tazz
17. Theodore Long
18. Tony Chimel
19. Vickie Guerrero
20. Vince McMahon

------

A few questionable decisions in there, but every SD game will have those. Plus DLC will be on top of that.

Obviously, it won't be even close in the end, but as I said, this is tradition...and I'm bored.</font> :(

Kane Knight
03-29-2008, 11:34 AM
Actually, Floyd Mayweather'd be cool, as long as it wasn't at the expense of other guys who could be on the roster.

Of course, he would be, which blows.

D Mac
03-29-2008, 02:56 PM
Why won't they put Owen Hart in?

D Mac
03-29-2008, 02:57 PM
And SID!

Xero
03-29-2008, 03:06 PM
Well, the roster is so full of shit now that they don't want to clog up the tubes.

What Would Kevin Do?
03-29-2008, 03:51 PM
I'm not too educated on the PS3. Do you have to pay for the content that you download? If so, how does it work?

Is there a monthly service fee? Or do you pay per the content that you download?

If the creator charges for the content, than it costs money. Basically, it'd be the same price for 360 or for PS3. PS3 doesn't charge anything to play online.

Disturbed316
03-29-2008, 06:24 PM
Just read all the info and watched the videos over at IGN, and to be honest, I'm really not impressed. I've never really been interested in the tag team options of previous games due to them being so dire, and now I'm beyond caring.

DLC should have been in since 2007 so again, I dont care about it at all. The create a finisher looks promising but unless there are other major changes to the AI then I'm not sure whether Ill be getting this one.

Funky Fly
03-30-2008, 06:18 AM
I can't wait for THQ's WWE license to expire and we can finally get a new fucking engine.

This one is so bloated and stale... :-\

Russenmafia
03-30-2008, 07:35 AM
I can't wait for THQ's WWE license to expire and we can finally get a new fucking engine.

Bring back the AKI engine.

Tornado
03-30-2008, 07:59 AM
2. Colin Delaney (replaces the generic green guy as the guy you test your moves against in Create-a-Moveset) :shifty:

Bring back AKI Man.

Dark-Slicer Diago
03-30-2008, 08:15 AM
In case people haven't seen them yet, here are a Tag Team video as well as Create-A-Finisher

Tag Team
<embed src='http://videomedia.ign.com/ev/ev.swf' flashvars='object_ID=14242649&downloadURL=http://xbox360movies.ign.com/xbox360/video/article/863/863061/tagteam_032808_flvlowwide.flv&allownetworking="all"' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' width='433' height='360' ></embed>

Create-A-Finisher

<embed src='http://videomedia.ign.com/ev/ev.swf' flashvars='object_ID=14242649&downloadURL=http://xbox360movies.ign.com/xbox360/video/article/863/863061/createfinisher_032808_flvlowwide.flv&allownetworking="all"' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' width='433' height='360' ></embed>

Kane Knight
03-30-2008, 09:01 AM

Never gonna happen, though.

Bring back the AKI engine.

For that matter, bring back the DoR engine.

Kalyx triaD
03-30-2008, 10:45 AM
When was the last I said DoR2 had the best wrestling engine? Last year I think.

Cause it does.

I remember the rush of slamming a larger wrestler because the crowd was behind me that time... and then there's the near perfect table system.

Destor
03-30-2008, 10:55 AM
DoR 1 & 2 owned. Until the Wii though nintendo always had the better wrestling games...

Kane Knight
03-30-2008, 12:27 PM
When was the last I said DoR2 had the best wrestling engine? Last year I think.

Cause it does.

I remember the rush of slamming a larger wrestler because the crowd was behind me that time... and then there's the near perfect table system.

I didn't like their fatigue system. Either there wasn't a way to "breathe" or I forgot how to do it. Recovery during submission is nice, and should be an option in SVR games, but I want to be able to "pace myself" in a match, regardless of how long it goes.

Otherwise, best engine ever. It combined Smackdown and Aki's engines and did so excellently. Not to mention the CAWs looked like the regular wrestlers. Give it better graphics, an updated set of CAW options, and you're good.

PorkSoda
03-30-2008, 01:23 PM
Create a Finisher doesn't look too bad so far.

They, THQ, talks about creation of a character. The entrance, the look, now the move. Why would they take out create a taunt or create a walk like they had in the older Smackdown games?

And Big Vito, I doubt that will be the roster. It would kickass if it was, but being THQ, they'll probably leave out alot of those guys.

I think they should add new legends to the game. I could do without Bret Hart, Steve Austin, The Rock, and Mick Foley this year. So maybe add some newer legends that haven't been in a game yet. Like maybe Greg Valentine, Honky Tonk Man, Demolition, Vader, Yokozuna....

Heros Welcome
03-30-2008, 01:32 PM
Create a Finisher so far sounds/looks to be very good. I always figured if they did put it in, it would be very general and not in depth but they proved me wrong and thats a very good thing.

Blitz
03-30-2008, 03:00 PM
Create A Finisher actually looks very cool. That alone might be enough to make me buy this game.

Gerard
03-31-2008, 06:55 PM
The finisher vid looks interesting but the other vid just shows how doing little sequences like that hurts the look of the game. In the tag vid everythings very fluid and moving realistically, then once that sequence is over you go back to regular moves with the usual "stick up the ass" walking animation and top rope moves that never hit properly in the game itself.

Kane Knight
03-31-2008, 07:57 PM
Hopefully they make gameplay not suck.

DS
03-31-2008, 08:29 PM
Then what will make it SvR?

Kane Knight
04-01-2008, 09:22 AM
Shitty CAWs?>

Lord-Of-Darkness
04-01-2008, 06:26 PM
With tag teams being a focus of this game, I'm hoping they put in legends as classic partners for existing wrestlers. Like maybe put in Ron Simmons and Marty Jannety as legends, and have JBL and HBK have alternate attires, so you can use the Rockers and the APA etc. Just an idea, seeing as the WWE has a lack of decent tag teams at the moment.

KingofOldSchool
04-01-2008, 09:01 PM
I would like to see Demolition in the game.

Gonzo
04-02-2008, 12:14 AM
The create a finisher mode looks really cool, I've always wanted them to incorporate it. I don't think it would be enough to make me want to buy the game though.

Heros Welcome
04-02-2008, 12:24 AM
Can't wait to have Trips take a Pepsi Plunge

Innovator
04-02-2008, 12:27 AM
oh it's happening

Funky Fly
04-02-2008, 12:32 AM
Well, finally got around to looking at those video shits. Looks nice. It'd be great if they don't gay up CAW by removing 456879676 useful items to add a pair of clown shoes or some shit.

D Mac
04-02-2008, 03:47 AM
And, being able to use ALL of the wrestlers in Season Mode would be nice.

Mister Sinister
04-02-2008, 07:40 AM
Can wait to unleash my latest creation in CAF mode...

The 4500 Splash.

Funky Fly
04-02-2008, 07:42 AM
Frankly, it'd be a lot easier to do if they took out the voices, D-Mac. They sound bad and limit options. I definitely feel you on this tho.

FourFifty
04-02-2008, 08:01 AM
Create a finisher looks fucking sweet

Kane Knight
04-02-2008, 08:08 AM
Wonder if I'll finally be able to do Phoenix's proper finisher now.

PorkSoda
04-02-2008, 09:58 AM
Wonder if we'll be able to create the Magic Wedgie this year.

Kane Knight
04-02-2008, 12:36 PM
Same thing. :shifty:

Hanso Amore
04-02-2008, 09:27 PM
Hopefully they dont waste a roster spot on Cody Rhodes...I mean we can make him better than they do with CAW

KingofOldSchool
04-02-2008, 10:40 PM
Can wait to unleash my latest creation in CAF mode...

The 4500 Splash.

If Kevin Nash was in the game, it would already be a premade move in his moveset right next to the 8621 2/3 Corkscrew Plancha.

Gonzo
04-05-2008, 07:41 PM
I just watched the finisher video again, I hope they change all those #'s to descriptions or names or something, so it doesn't get tedious to make finishers. Imagine having to scroll through all the numbers because you don't know what they actually are until you watch the preview? I can see that being really annoying.

Destor
04-05-2008, 09:18 PM
I'd wager they'll have names, I'm not saying they haven't been this lazy before but that seems like a bit much.

TerranRich
04-06-2008, 12:39 AM
People create shit like Homer Simpson and Peter Griffin in CAW mode, which leads THQ to pander to those retards, which causes CAW mode to suck for the rest of us non-idiots.

That said, here is the REALISTIC roster for SVR 09:

Wrestlers (40):
Carlito, Chris Jericho, Cody Rhodes, Drew McIntyre, Hardcore Holly, JBL, Jeff Hardy, John Cena, JTG, Mr. Kennedy, Randy Orton, Santino Marella, Shad, Shawn Michaels, Snitsky, Super Crazy, Triple H, Umaga, Batista, Big Show, Chavo Guerrero, Chuck Palumbo, Deuce 'n Domino (the only tag team they include), Edge, Finlay, Mark Henry, Matt Hardy, MVP, Rey Mysterio, Great Khali, Undertaker, CM Punk, Eliah Burke, John Morrison, Kane, Kevin Thorn, Kofi Kingston, Shelton Benjamin, The Miz.

Divas (10):
Ashley, Beth Phoenix, Candice, Jillian Hall, Maria, Melina, Victoria, Kelly Kelly, Layla, Lena Yada.

Legends (12):
The Rock, Stone Cold Steve Austin, Mick Foley, Ric Flair, Sgt. Slaughter, Bret Hart, Hulk Hogan, Ted DiBiase, Dusty Rhodes, Jerry Lawler, Rowdy Roddy Piper, Jimmy Snuka.

They'll leave out Cherry, even though they included Deuce 'N Domino. They'll leave the same old Legends that have always been in the games, with a new addition or two. They'll limit the roster number like they always do. They'll leave out perfectly good wrestlers like Paul Burchill, Stevie Richards, and Tommy Dreamer, while leaving in wastes of megabytes like Hardcore Holly and Snitsky.

Seems realistic enough to me.

Gonzo
04-06-2008, 12:00 PM
IGN: What about downloadable content?

Ledesma: This is very exciting. I think you mentioned at the very beginning of the call that you're asking, "What do we take away from some of the press or the fan feedback that we got from last year's game?" and a lot of times you hear "the roster."

IGN: Yeah.

Ledesma: The roster. The roster. The roster. We're committed to the rosters because it's the most important thing to the fans, and it is fairly important. We want to make sure that we're as up to date as possible. It's very difficult from a game development standpoint to offer a Superstar that, you know, debuts a month or two months before we ship. It really ties our hands at what we can do, so we want to offer downloadable content that players can get the most up-to-date experience possible.

IGN: Does that mean you're going to have wrestlers that you can download?

Ledesma: [long pause] ... we're not discussing -- [laughter]. The one thing that I can say is that we will have content available for use in the game that will update your experience for SmackDown vs. Raw 2009.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/862/862619p3.html

Could go either way with that really. Either wrestlers, or shitty content like alternate attire etc.

TerranRich
04-06-2008, 12:58 PM
Oh, good, you quoted that same piece of the interview. I didn't read it the first time around. ;)

KingofOldSchool
04-06-2008, 02:41 PM
People create shit like Homer Simpson and Peter Griffin in CAW mode, which leads THQ to pander to those retards, which causes CAW mode to suck for the rest of us non-idiots.

That said, here is the REALISTIC roster for SVR 09:

Wrestlers (40):
Carlito, Chris Jericho, Cody Rhodes, Drew McIntyre, Hardcore Holly, JBL, Jeff Hardy, John Cena, JTG, Mr. Kennedy, Randy Orton, Santino Marella, Shad, Shawn Michaels, Snitsky, Super Crazy, Triple H, Umaga, Batista, Big Show, Chavo Guerrero, Chuck Palumbo, Deuce 'n Domino (the only tag team they include), Edge, Finlay, Mark Henry, Matt Hardy, MVP, Rey Mysterio, Great Khali, Undertaker, CM Punk, Eliah Burke, John Morrison, Kane, Kevin Thorn, Kofi Kingston, Shelton Benjamin, The Miz.

Divas (10):
Ashley, Beth Phoenix, Candice, Jillian Hall, Maria, Melina, Victoria, Kelly Kelly, Layla, Lena Yada.

Legends (12):
The Rock, Stone Cold Steve Austin, Mick Foley, Ric Flair, Sgt. Slaughter, Bret Hart, Hulk Hogan, Ted DiBiase, Dusty Rhodes, Jerry Lawler, Rowdy Roddy Piper, Jimmy Snuka.

They'll leave out Cherry, even though they included Deuce 'N Domino. They'll leave the same old Legends that have always been in the games, with a new addition or two. They'll limit the roster number like they always do. They'll leave out perfectly good wrestlers like Paul Burchill, Stevie Richards, and Tommy Dreamer, while leaving in wastes of megabytes like Hardcore Holly and Snitsky.

Seems realistic enough to me.

LOL

They aren't going to include Drew Fucking McIntyre or Kevin Thorn, yet you left out Big Daddy V. JTG and Shad are long shots, they will be more likely to be among the first DLC.

James Steele
04-06-2008, 03:10 PM
I hope you can create a submission finisher.

TerranRich
04-06-2008, 04:08 PM
I had a little bit of optimism when creating that list. I apologize for that.

Gonzo
04-06-2008, 04:41 PM
Oh, good, you quoted that same piece of the interview. I didn't read it the first time around. ;)

lol didn't realize. Didn't bother checking the first time around.

Lux
04-07-2008, 03:01 AM
Well i'm sold already, i can't wait for create-a-finisher, oh the hell i will create

Dark-Slicer Diago
04-07-2008, 10:40 AM

lol didn't realize. Didn't bother checking the first time around.

You should also check page 1 as I quoted it there.

TerranRich
04-07-2008, 05:38 PM
I know, I'm pumped up about CAF too, it looks simply awesome, powerful, and the possibilities might be endless.

Rammsteinmad
04-08-2008, 03:28 PM
Those two videos look sweet. The Tag Team action looks VERY impressive and realistic. The finisher also looks like it's very fun. Watching it made me wanna start creating. I'd do a move like Cena's reverse F-U, but where the opponents face lands on your knee ala the GTS.

Overall looks good so far. IMO the biggest let-down for SVR2008 was the control system. Get that back to the way it use to be and I'm happy.

TerranRich
04-10-2008, 03:05 PM
I'd make a move where it started out like the Piledriver, but with the opponent on a shoulder, then into a sort of inverted DDT.

Kane Knight
04-10-2008, 07:04 PM
I too vote for a return to the previous control scheme.

Purgatory
04-10-2008, 07:35 PM
yeah, that's the biggest qualm I had with 08 as well. The Analog control was a cool idea, proided you could actually grasp...which I couldn't. I preferred SVR 06's control scheme and used it in 07 as well.

Gonzo
04-10-2008, 07:40 PM
Being that you can import music for create a wrestler, can you import music to your 360 using burned cds?

Kane Knight
04-10-2008, 08:43 PM
yeah, that's the biggest qualm I had with 08 as well. The Analog control was a cool idea, proided you could actually grasp...which I couldn't. I preferred SVR 06's control scheme and used it in 07 as well.

I didn't like the way the new system went. To be honest, I thought the old concept of hitting a button to grapple was fine, though.

Being that you can import music for create a wrestler, can you import music to your 360 using burned cds?

Yeah. The only catch is, if it's not a recognised CD (Like a custom mix), you'll have to enter the info. No big.

It's probably how I'll do all my themes, should I decide to buy the game.

TerranRich
04-11-2008, 02:43 AM
Something tells me I should get a 360 instead of a PS3 if I get a next-gen console. Which I just might for this game. For just the CAF feature alone, I might shell out the dough to get it... and then be sorely disappointed and let down.

Extreme Angle
04-11-2008, 02:50 AM
Something tells me I should get a 360 instead of a PS3 if I get a next-gen console. Which I just might for this game. For just the CAF feature alone, I might shell out the dough to get it... and then be sorely disappointed and let down.
You won't be disappointed with a 360, seriously. The games the 360 have to offer are unbelievable, the xbox live marketplace is amazing. And xbox live is the best online service for consoles available, but it costs £40...

So when this comes out are we gonna have the TPWW tournie that we all talk about but it never happens?

Kane Knight
04-11-2008, 12:50 PM

PS3: BluRay player with a couple of exclusives.

360: Gaming system with some great exclusives, some so-so exclusives, and some bad exclusives, but the volume beats out the PS3. Most 360 versions are the superior versions.

So if you're gonna buy a next gen system, go for it. Even if SVR sucks, you'll have options. Unless you want a media player, then go for the PS3.

TerranRich
04-12-2008, 03:02 AM
Yeah, I have no plans for getting HD TV in the near future, so a BluRay player would be useless to me for years to come. And by the time I get HDTV, BluRay players will be as cheap as DVD players are now.

I'll go with the 360. It's cheaper anyway, innit? Cuz it came out before PS3?

Gonzo
04-12-2008, 01:06 PM
I am borrowing SvR 08 from a friend right now and holy shit, the control system has a bit of a learning curve. Does anyone have some AI sliders, it seems there are a lot of reversals on normal difficulty. I have a hard time understanding the "strong grapples." I mostly will use the quick grapples, work the guy on the ground, running attacks or turnbuckle moves. Seems like I can get the strong grapple to work only like 3 times in 10.

TerranRich
04-12-2008, 04:43 PM
I didn't have that hard of a time getting used to the SVR 08 controls.

Plus, wrong thread.

Gonzo
04-12-2008, 06:37 PM
I didn't have that hard of a time getting used to the SVR 08 controls.

Plus, wrong thread.

Nah I meant this thread. :D

The controls threw me for a loop the first few matches, I have the hang of them, although I still prefer the older controls. I hope they revert, or at least put the option in there for 09.

Funky Fly
04-12-2008, 07:39 PM
Personally, I like the SvR 06 control scheme best, but I can function well with 07's too. I still refuse to play 08 tho.

I hope they get rid of the move restrictions based on size, tho. And don't even tell me that it only results in unrealistic CAWS either. Homer Simpson, Dragon Ball Z guys and fucking Superman are never gonna wrestle, so get off me. I've seen Kane do a hurricanrana, Big Show do a moonsault and Brock Lesnar do both a shooting star press and a 450 splash. I wan't my guy to be able to do both a powerslam and a kick combo. Is that so much to ask for?[/rant over]

TerranRich
04-13-2008, 03:08 PM
I said that earlier as well, Funky, about the unrealistic CAWs. THQ continues to pander to the retards that play as Peter Griffin and Spiderman as opposed to Colt Cabana or Paul London.

Gerard
04-13-2008, 03:11 PM
They really need to look at some of the reversals and how long they keep you down for I hate picking up a wrestler and they pull your legs out and you fall on your back. Even at the start of a match that fucking reversal keeps you down for a stupid amount of time, and really its the equivilant of you falling on your ass. :mad:

And really..when is kane gonna get a chokeslam where he doesn't walk in circles before doing it for some reason, and flick his non existant long air?

The music system from last year was also retarded, you have to rip a track then give it its own playlist to use it in game? Dunno whats so hard about letting you browse all the mp3's on the hard drive instead of that.

For entrances it would be nice to specify how long before your wrestler appears, some of the gamecube games had that option upto 30+ seconds or so i think.

This game and engine badly needs overhauled, yukes are like the EA of wrestling games where the same engine is being whored out and slightly upgraded every year. Would probably be worthwhile if they stopped releasing this yearly shit and took a few years to create a new engine from the ground up.

TerranRich
04-13-2008, 09:31 PM
This is similar to the world of web design. There are only so many times you patch up, upgrade, and hack up the code to a website before you just need to redo it from scratch. And while you're at it, you usually redesign it a little as well.

Would be nice if Yukes took a similar stance.

Cuzziebro
04-14-2008, 04:31 AM
I just watched the tag team video and it got me thinking. It says there are all new tag team finishers with the example of the Hardy's Twist of Fate/Swanton Bomb combo. But I couldn't really think of any other tag teams in the WWE that have tag team finishers as standard, except maybe Brothers of Destruction with the Double Chokeslam. Any suggestions?

Kalyx triaD
04-14-2008, 10:12 AM
Well for one the Hardyz finisher is just two finishers in tandem; you can do that now. Me and my bro been doing that since last generation. Twist of fate by Matt, then I hit the Swanton. Simple sequence really, but I like the presentation of it all (camera angles still blow though).

What they should do is have a Tag Finsher Mode where after one guy hits his finisher, the Spirit Bar or whatever stays blinking until the other partner does his.

As far as other tag finishers... well let's just say its unfortunate that they chose now to upgrade the tag system with barely a tag division to support it with. It's like having the little guys have a completely new High Flying game engine when that division's a joke, too.

Evil Vito
04-23-2008, 11:36 AM
<font color=goldenrod>I think we'll see a load of tag team finishers from the past and present in the game even if the teams themselves don't make it in. I'm thinking from the present we'll get moves like Cade/Murdoch's Sweet 'N Sour and DnD's Crack 'Em in the Mouth</font>

Lux
04-23-2008, 03:43 PM
I'm so taking both of them, leaning more to Crack 'Em in the Mouth tho

Xero
04-23-2008, 10:07 PM
It's like having the little guys have a completely new High Flying game engine when that division's a joke, too.

Or like improving the game when the entire company's a joke, right?

Hitman84
05-07-2008, 06:22 AM
Why won't they put Owen Hart in?

I think they won't include Owen Hart because his wife won't let them, can't be entirely sure though. I'd personally love to see all the Hart Foundation members all in the game in their 1997 attires, especially if more emphasis is being placed on tag team wrestling. Owen and the Bulldog and Bret and the Anvil would be great to play as. Bret and the Bulldog also tagged well together, as did Owen and the Anvil (in the 1994 storyline, not in their brief stint as the New Foundation). So, yes, I would love Owen to be in it, but I doubt he will be.

Other legend tag teams I would like to see are LoD, Killer Bees, Strike Force, Demolition, Nasty Boys, Power and Glory and the Bushwhackers (that'd be really fun!). If they do include Davey Boy, I'd also like to see Dynamite Kid included so we can play as the British Bulldogs, yet I doubt Mr Billigton would allow his likeness to be used in a WWE game. I also have a sneaking suspicion that all we're likely to get is the Mega Maniacs or something a little less, well, good.

Evil Vito
05-19-2008, 06:36 PM
<font color=goldenrod>Wonder when new info is coming out on this.</font>

Dark-Slicer Diago
05-20-2008, 12:59 PM
Probably not until mid-end of June like we've been getting for the last couple of years.

baadman25
05-30-2008, 10:20 AM
Very good!!! Support !wow gold (http://brogame.com)wow gold (http://garbor.net) wow gold (http://jaybus.cn) wow gold (http://dianaslink.com)

Evil Vito
05-30-2008, 12:09 PM
:wtf:

Lux
05-30-2008, 04:22 PM
Damit, here too :-\

Funky Fly
05-31-2008, 01:07 AM
One more banhammer

What Would Kevin Do?
05-31-2008, 08:15 PM
Quit taking credit for my bans Funky!

Funky Fly
05-31-2008, 10:59 PM
You wouldn't have any bans at all if not me anyway.

Evil Vito
06-12-2008, 12:19 PM
<font color=goldenrod>LOL apparently on some random website, Cory Ledesma has said that every single member of the active roster up until Night of Champions will be in the game. :lol:

Obviously, that's fake information...I just can't help but :lol: at all the IGN idiots celebrating as if it was real. That would mean the roster is around 85 or so people...the only way they would EVER do that is if they decided to not do DLC and wanted to avoid backlash by putting everyone in.

The thought of the likes of Ted DiBiase Jr. and Evan Bourne getting in just makes me laugh.</font>

Disturbed316
06-12-2008, 01:36 PM
Not really, you could then have Ted DiBiase Snr as an alternate costume.

Evil Vito
06-12-2008, 08:22 PM
<font color=goldenrod>I actually think they might scrap legends this year with the Legends of WM game coming out...I kinda hope that's the case, maybe because I like a lot of lower card guys and so not having legends would increase their odds of getting in.</font>

The Mackem
06-14-2008, 07:38 AM
Is it coming out for the Wii? I was pondering whether to get the last one for the Wii to see what it'slike but probably won't if this is coming out at the end of the year.

Drakul
06-14-2008, 11:38 AM
The Wii version of SvR 08 is supposedly terrible. Matches and wrestlers are missing and the game has been stripped down so much.

I haven't heard much about the Wii version of SvR 09 but what I have heard wasn't good.

Extreme Angle
06-14-2008, 04:34 PM
any new info?

Purgatory
06-14-2008, 05:11 PM
Yeah really...I don't recall seeing when the release date is...or maybe it's been mentioned, but I didn't see it?

KingofOldSchool
06-14-2008, 07:57 PM
Yeah really...I don't recall seeing when the release date is...or maybe it's been mentioned, but I didn't see it?

It'll probably be in November like it's been for years.

Crazy Nick
06-15-2008, 01:29 AM
According to EBGames and GameStop it will be out in November, just like KingOfOldSchool said, the exact day will probably be the 11th, thats of course according to EBGames and GameStop.

Kane Knight
06-15-2008, 11:44 AM
EB and so on pull the placeholder dates out of their asses.

HeartBreakMan2k
06-15-2008, 12:02 PM
Yup sure do.

HeartBreakMan2k
06-15-2008, 12:02 PM
Like, 25% of their business model is based on reservations. So the more games that have "dates" the better they can do.

Kane Knight
06-15-2008, 01:57 PM
Still, November's a solid guess. It's just that it is just a guess, an educated one. But yeah, they put up a lot of arbitrary dates, especially for hot titles.

KingofOldSchool
06-15-2008, 03:31 PM
And they always strive to release just before Thanksgiving so Little Billy has something to put on his Christmas list so Betty Soccermom has something else to get when she lines up outside of Best Buy at 3 am Black Friday to save $5 on a shitty camera.

The Mackem
06-16-2008, 08:02 AM
I can totally imagine you playing out that scene with dolls KingofOldSchool.

KingofOldSchool
06-16-2008, 08:28 AM
I can totally imagine you playing out that scene with dolls KingofOldSchool.

Only if Adamle did play-by-play.

Evil Vito
06-16-2008, 12:02 PM
<font color=goldenrod>LOL Adamle...it would be hilarious if he was in the game. I doubt he'd be on commentary since that is one of the first things they put in the game so I'm sure we'll have Coach and Styles...but it'd be funny if he snuck in as a backstage interviewer and purposely fucks up.</font> :shifty:

The Mackem
06-18-2008, 03:25 AM
The Wii version of SvR 08 is supposedly terrible. Matches and wrestlers are missing and the game has been stripped down so much.

I haven't heard much about the Wii version of SvR 09 but what I have heard wasn't good.

Hmmm glad I didn't get it then.

Evil Vito
06-27-2008, 10:33 AM
<font color=goldenrod>Playing HCTP...God how I miss seasons like that. Infinitely better without VO. I mean, sure, VO adds a cool touch and it made perfect sense to experiment with it with SVR...but after that they should have gone back to the way it was.

Shame they've already confirmed that VO will be back and, as such, there will be plenty of characters you can't use in Season.</font> :mad:

Evil Vito
06-28-2008, 09:49 AM
<font color=goldenrod>PSM has confirmed that an Inferno Match will be in the game.

Sounds cool if its true....but its about 8 years too late.</font> :o

KingofOldSchool
06-29-2008, 09:39 AM
LOLOLOLOLOL

Why don't we just have a Judy Bagwell on a Pole match as well?

Evil Vito
06-29-2008, 10:19 AM
<font color=goldenrod>Yeah, pretty stupid. I bet they give every wrestler a street clothes attire for use in the Inferno Match....and they use it as an excuse to have a small roster again. :o

I can't believe I didn't notice this earlier...but apparently Road to WrestleMania Mode (this year's Season) is only gonna be 3 months long</font> :|

DAMN iNATOR
06-29-2008, 03:30 PM
PSM has confirmed that an Inferno Match will be in the game.

Sounds cool if its true....but its about 8 years too late. :o

Oh, great...just what the n00bs are going to need...a reason to create 78,635,274 different mummies and other stupid types of CAW's:nono:...

Lux
06-29-2008, 03:38 PM
<font color=goldenrod>Yeah, pretty stupid. I bet they give every wrestler a street clothes attire for use in the Inferno Match....and they use it as an excuse to have a small roster again. :o

I can't believe I didn't notice this earlier...but apparently Road to WrestleMania Mode (this year's Season) is only gonna be 3 months long</font> :|

What the fuck do i do with just three months? :mad:

also Damninator, where have you been?

Disturbed316
06-29-2008, 04:59 PM
Whoa, the TNA game is starting to seem more appealing.

Disturbed316
07-02-2008, 05:38 PM
Triple H, HBK, Batista, Rey Mysterio, John Morrison, and The Miz have all been confirmed.

Evil Vito
07-03-2008, 04:17 PM
<font color=goldenrod>Wooooo Morrison and Miz :heart:

About time the tag champs actually made the cut</font> :o

Disturbed316
07-03-2008, 05:17 PM
Well I guess it makes sense seeing as they are focusing on tag team mechanics this year.

Evil Vito
07-03-2008, 05:19 PM
<font color=goldenrod>Yeah but the funny thing is, since the cutoff is usually WM or slightly after, I bet most of the teams they put in have since disbanded...obviously Miz/Morrison are still in and I'd think Jesse/Festus are safe bets.

But Carlito/Santino, Cade/Murdoch, Holly/Rhodes :o......Londrick? Nah</font>

Shaggy
07-03-2008, 08:21 PM
Sadly but honestly....I wanna play through career mode with a diva....

It would be a change of pace and with yall saying Season mode is only gonna be 3 months long. That is perfect time frame for a small story setting you up for a womens title shot at mania.

Something I want out of the game though.....confetti dropping everytime you do something like become number 1 contender or win the belt. Once in a game is enough but every damn time!

Lux
07-04-2008, 01:02 AM
<font color=goldenrod>Wooooo Morrison and Miz :heart:

:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

Heros Welcome
07-04-2008, 03:34 AM
http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/article/886/886062/wwe-smackdown-vs-raw-2009-20080703104227960-000.jpg

Kalyx triaD
07-04-2008, 10:03 AM
Break it down.

Disturbed316
07-04-2008, 04:45 PM
Gay

Nowhere Man
07-04-2008, 04:53 PM
So glad I've got Fire Pro.

Skippord
07-04-2008, 10:53 PM
lol Featuring ECW

Kenny
07-05-2008, 03:53 PM
I think it's funny how the logo for ECW is a razor blade with "ECW" written over it. Shouldn't it be a box of Fruity O's, or something else that represents a generic product?

I just recently got Smackdown vs Raw 2008, and I completely skipped 2007. I was a little impressed by 08, but we could definitely use something new this year.

If THQ Re-released No Mercy, just with an updated and larger roster; I bet it would outsell Smackdown simply because the matches you could have would be more competitive, multi-player would run more smoothly, and overall it would be a lot more fun.

Lux
07-05-2008, 03:55 PM
but we could definitely use something new this year.

WELL NO FUCKING DUH YOU STUPID FUCK

Kalyx triaD
07-05-2008, 03:57 PM
I think it's funny how the logo for ECW is a razor blade with "ECW" written over it. Shouldn't it be a box of Fruity O's, or something else that represents a generic product?

...Huh?

Cuzziebro
07-06-2008, 08:28 AM
Don't worry Kalyx I have no idea what he's talking about either.

DrA
07-06-2008, 10:04 AM
The last wrestling game I bought was Here Comes the Pain I think, but I remember that the roster for that game was reasonably large and had a lot of match options. Five years later, why do these games only have fifteen wrestlers in them? WWF Wrestlemania for the SNES had more wrestlers than these new games.

Y2Ant
07-06-2008, 10:16 AM
and I always whoop your ass in that with Ted DiBiase, don't I DrA?

Evil Vito
07-06-2008, 12:01 PM
<font color=goldenrod>It's almost WM time, and I'm bored...which means its time for my annual roster prediction that winds up being completely wrong and not even close.

Even after the huge fuckup that was last year's roster...I'll still go with 60 playable characters or something. And I'll make the (probably bad) assumption that they'll try to put more teams in the game...even ones that have broken up or have La Res syndrome.

The deadline seems to be shortly after WM...so this prediction is pending no new debuts immediately after WM, releases, or people killing their families:

ACTIVE ROSTER
1. Ashley
2. Batista*
3. Beth Phoenix
4. Big Daddy V
5. Big Show
6. Brian Kendrick
7. Candice Michelle
8. Carlito
9. Chavo Guerrero
10. Chris Jericho*
11. Chuck Palumbo
12. CM Punk
13. Cody Rhodes
14. Curt Hawkins
15. Edge
16. Festus
17. Finlay
18. Hardcore Holly
19. Jamie Noble
20. JBL
21. Jeff Hardy*
22. Jesse
23. John Cena*
24. John Morrison*
25. Kane
26. Kelly Kelly
27. Kofi Kingston
28. Maria
29. Mark Henry
30. Matt Hardy*
31. Melina
32. Michelle McCool
33. Mr. Kennedy*
34. MVP
35. Paul London
36. Randy Orton*
37. Rey Mysterio*
38. Santino Marella
39. Shawn Michaels*
40. Shelton Benjamin
41. Snitsky
42. The Great Khali
43. The Miz*
44. The Undertaker*
45. Tommy Dreamer
46. Torrie Wilson
47. Triple H*
48. Umaga
49. William Regal
50. Zack Ryder

LEGENDS
1. Bret Hart
2. Dusty Rhodes
3. Floyd Mayweather (seriously, I can WWE telling them to put him in as a ‘bonus’ guy)
4. Mick Foley
5. Ric Flair
6. Roddy Piper
7. Ron Simmons
8. Steve Austin
9. Terry Funk
10. The Rock</font>

<font color=goldenrod>Woooooo batting 1.000 so far in my predictions. :shifty:

Actually, I don't think I've ever fully kept track of the roster as it was announced compared to my initial prediction (which is usually always way off). Gonna do that this year.</font> :cool:

eazey
07-06-2008, 03:15 PM
Finally HBK is headlining the BIG one!

Evil Vito
07-11-2008, 08:30 PM
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/888/888373p1.html

<font color=goldenrod>CM Punk confirmed. :cool:

Inferno Match sounds kinda meh...similar to every other gimmick match in SD.

The best news by far is that finishers with auto-pins will flow to ensure that it doesn't end in rope break.</font> :love:

Kalyx triaD
07-11-2008, 09:57 PM
I like that they're focusing on the details.

I'm interested. ...Getting excited...

Heros Welcome
07-12-2008, 01:37 PM
Based off the info and and vids from IGN they BETTER update HBK's attire! I see they added the beard which is sweet, but come on the guy hasn't gotten a change of attire in like the past 4 games!

Gerard
07-12-2008, 02:56 PM
I still think the legends roster should be something that gets added to every year instead of "put this guy in, take these 3 out".

KingofOldSchool
07-12-2008, 09:32 PM

Don't they "focus on the details" every year?

Lux
07-12-2008, 10:10 PM

:shifty:

MCEazy
07-12-2008, 10:15 PM
the inferno match looks pretty cool.

Kalyx triaD
07-12-2008, 11:41 PM
Don't they "focus on the details" every year?

No.

They add shit nobody asked for while ignoring older issues. They're still doing that, but atleast they're moving on things thats bothered me for a time. C'mon, how many years before I could walk up the ring steps?

Now I need to hear that the targeting controls were addressed among other things, it made multiplayer a bitch.

KingofOldSchool
07-13-2008, 08:53 AM
No.

They add shit nobody asked for while ignoring older issues. They're still doing that, but atleast they're moving on things thats bothered me for a time. C'mon, how many years before I could walk up the ring steps?

Now I need to hear that the targeting controls were addressed among other things, it made multiplayer a bitch.

No, you're missing the point. They claim every single year that they are "focusing on details" so how is this year any different?

Oh and so if you can now walk up the steps, that just means they probably took away the ability to climb through the ropes. or something equally stupid.

Kalyx triaD
07-13-2008, 12:52 PM
I'm not talking about what they claim I'm about what they do. They said it year after year, but this year it looks like they're doing it - which I like. The steps, switching menu music, mixed abilities; these things frustrated me alot. Those little details being addressed leads me to believe that others will as well.

And we'll see if they cut off climbing through the ropes, though most likely it'll become a two step move (on apron, then through the ropes).

James Steele
07-13-2008, 01:57 PM
I just wish they would quit trying to turn everything into either a damn minigame or a damn CGI movie.

Kalyx triaD
07-13-2008, 02:09 PM
The movie clips do have to go, I don't know what in the WWE inspires those stupid cut-scenes. I turn off camera effects every year. The forced cuts I understand (Sweet Chin Music, People's Elbow, Five Knuckle Gayness) because of the 'suspension of belief' placement of the game models, so long as the view goes default right away.

Disturbed316
07-13-2008, 02:19 PM
I'm really not bothered by the fact they are concentrating on tag teams this year and making it the main feature. I'd much rather play through a wrestling game by myself.

The Mackem
07-14-2008, 05:59 AM
I haven't had one of these games for a few years now, might get the next one.

Cuzziebro
07-15-2008, 08:14 AM
Don't know if it has been done (probably has but I am too lazy to check), but here is the confirmed list of superstars so far.
Batista
Chris Jericho
Mr. Kennedy
Rey Mysterio
Jeff Hardy
Matt Hardy
John Cena
Triple H
Randy Orton
The Undertaker
The Miz
John Morrison
Shawn Michaels
CM Punk (Thanks Vito)

Evil Vito
07-15-2008, 09:03 AM
<font color=goldenrod>CM Punk's been confirmed too.</font>

Dark-Slicer Diago
07-17-2008, 11:39 AM
E3 2008: Smackdown vs. Raw 2009 Updated Impressions
We take a detailed look at THQ’s latest wresting offering at E3.
By Shanker Srinivasan, GameSpot
Posted Jul 16, 2008 7:18 pm PT

We first saw THQ’s upcoming Smackdown vs. Raw 2009 game a few months ago at their media event during Wrestlemania XXIV. At the time though, very little was shown of the new tag team experience or of the new match types that would debut in this year’s game. During a private showing here at E3, however, we were able to see the improvements to the popular wrestling series in practice and chat with the THQ team on what we can expect to see this fall.

Fighter intros and music is one element that the THQ/Yukes team has always captured well and this year’s game is no different. Each of the 60+ wrestlers included in the game will feature their authentic intros, even down to the lighting effects and pyrotechnics. Each wrestler will showcase their signature mannerisms during their stroll down to ringside. The THQ team have made some progress in improving the pre-match load times that have plagued the series in the past. Smackdown vs. Raw 2009 has only one roughly 6-second loading period after selecting the wrestlers for the match (though there is a momentary pause right before action begins in the ring as well). This is an improvement from years past and there is no longer any pause between player intros.

In addition to revamped commentary, the THQ team has made it a focus to improve the AI in this year’s game. Though we couldn’t see a definitive moments of the improved AI in action, the THQ developers did seem to have difficulty in showing off their gaming skills against their AI opponents.

Much of the gameplay shares similarities with prior iterations in the series. The game displays a meter indicating your wrestler’s momentum. This meter will slowly fill as you wrester chains together more and more attacks and also decrese your opponent’s momentum. Once you’ve built up the meter, you will be able to execute your wrester’s most devastating finishing moves. In addition to the momentum meter, a damage indicator will also become visible whenever a wrestler takes damage. The indicator is color-coated to show you the damage your wrestler has taken to various parts of his body.

The major addition to Smackdown vs. Raw 2009 is the return of tag team play. This year’s game takes this tag team play to a new level though with a variety of actions available to the tag team partner waiting on the ropes. He will have the option to roam up and down the apron, grab the active opponent while your partner beats him down, or even distract the ref letting your teammate get in some illegal blows. You will also be able to enter the ring as the illegal partner but need to be careful that the ref is engaged in some way before doing so (otherwise the ref will try to get you to leave the ring while you partner gets double teamed).

The will also introduce the “hot tags” for the first time in a wrestling game. Although only available once per match and only after your wrestler has been getting smoked, the hot tag will offer you a chance at turning the match around. Provided you can get away from your opponent and are relatively close to your corner, the game will flash a cutscene of your wrestler diving to tag your eager partner. As is the case with wrestling on television, your partner will enter the ring primed to wreck havoc on your opponents. While powerful, hot tags are still balanced by the fact that the partners high-energy moves can still be countered with good timing (and a little luck) and, because the momentum bar is shared by both wrestlers on a tag team, you partner will have to execute many attacks just to catch up. The other team can also simply prevent the hot tag-enabled wrester from getting to his corner. THQ also suggested that blind tags (where the illegal partner tags his partner without his consent) may also be an option this year in case your partner is a glory hog. The game also features 28 total tag team finishers though, unfortunately, will not be able to create custom tag teams; you will only be able to select from those available in the game.

Smackdown vs. Raw 2009 will feature a campaign mode called “Road to Wrestlemania” that can be played either as a single player campaign or as a tag team campaign. To add further to the mode replayability, Road to Wrestlemania will offer a unique story line depending on which wrester (or wrestlers for tag teams) you choose. Tag team campaigns can be played with a friend locally or online.

Speaking of online, THQ also revealed that downloadable content would be available in the game. Details are still scarce but THQ did suggest that downloadable content would help keep the game current and allow them to introduce special events in game based on what’s happening on the show. Based on all the winks and nudges, it seems THQ still has a few surprises on the online front they aren’t ready to share yet.

This year’s game will also feature a new “inferno match” for the first time in which flames form a border around the ring. A temperature reading is displayed at the bottom of the screen, initially reading 375 degrees. As wrestlers get slammed to the mat, the flames will continue to build up to 500 degrees. At this point wrestlers will be able to burn their opponents by tossing them against the ropes causing immediate damage from the flames. This period will continue for about 15-20 seconds before the flames die down back to endurable levels. Once either wrestler is flung outside of the ring, the match will end and you’ll be treated with a scene of the wrestler getting sprayed with a fire extinguisher (though they do seem to take their time before doing so).

Finally, Smackdown vs. Raw’s “create-a-finisher” feature deserves a mention. Although we already spoke about this feature in our first look a few months back, this was our first opportunity to get our hands on it to try it for ourselves. The feature allows you to string together various moves (up to 10) to create an entirely unique finisher for your wrestler. The list of moves is vast and definitely includes moves not currently in use by any other wrestler. After selecting the first move, you will be presented with another list of context-sensitive moves for your subsequent action (this way each moves flows to the next smoothly). In addition, each move animation can be slowed or sped up to your liking. While putting together your string of moves, two sample wrestlers will display your finisher in action making it easy to gauge how your creation turn out.

Once you’re happy with your finisher, you can name it yourself or choose from a list of preset names if you want the announcers to actually refer to it by name. Each wrestler can have up to two finishers so you may have to replace an existing finisher to add your custom one. The only drawback to the create-a-finisher feature is that they won’t be situationally based in this year’s game; all moves trigger standing in front of your opponent while they are stunned. THQ did suggest that this would be added in future iterations.

While the game looks solid, it’s not without its share of flaws though. The game still plays very fast and animation transitions are very abrupt. Like previous games in the series, collision detection issues continue to be a factor. Wresters will react to their opponent in seemingly canned ways even if the opponent barely makes contact (I suppose you could consider that realistic though). Finally, the camera is zoomed-in very close to the action so you won’t have a good perspective of the area outside the ring in case you need to make a quick getaway. The game is still a work in progress though so it is possible that these elements are still being tweaked.

Disturbed316
07-17-2008, 12:22 PM
It all sounds very MEH at the moment.

#BROKEN Hasney
07-17-2008, 12:42 PM
It all sounds very MEH at the moment.

If true, unique storylines for each wrestler will add replayability. But it still might play llike ass...

Kalyx triaD
07-17-2008, 01:08 PM
To add further to the mode replayability, Road to Wrestlemania will offer a unique story line depending on which wrester (or wrestlers for tag teams) you choose.

God dammit, more VO bullshit.

Choice makes storylines unique, not canned dialogue recorded by half of the roster. They could take the growing popularity of dialogue trees and make event trees where matches and promos can happen based on your actions.

Whatever.

Lux
07-18-2008, 04:38 AM
Does this basically mean i can't have CAWs together for a tag team or am i reading that wrong?

The Mackem
07-18-2008, 06:31 AM
I read that too...at least there is blind tags...

The Mackem
07-18-2008, 06:37 AM
Plus it looks like there is only going to be pre-selected teams from the original characters as well.

What Would Kevin Do?
07-18-2008, 07:25 AM
I read that you can "pair up" teams like you can stables in the other games, so no, it's not just pre-selected teams.

The Mackem
07-18-2008, 07:54 AM
Shanker has lied to me once again. I wish there was somehing witty to rhyme with his name to insult him with.

XL
07-18-2008, 09:29 AM
I think he meant that you can't create custom tag team finishers. But don't quote me on that. I bet someone puts this in quote tags!

The Mackem
07-18-2008, 09:38 AM
OK then XL

Kenny
07-20-2008, 03:37 PM
Why do they try to make the old stuff sound new?

"Wrestlers will have their own intros, even pyro and lighting!" Yeah, since Smackdown 2!

The Inferno Match sounds fun though, and the Create-A-Finisher will be fun to play around with. I'm happy with the Tag Team features too. Now all the game needs is some tag teams.

Indifferent Clox
07-20-2008, 06:06 PM
I think he meant that you can't create custom tag team finishers.

Lux
07-20-2008, 06:14 PM
I think he meant that you can't create custom tag team finishers. But don't quote me on that. I bet someone puts this in quote tags!

Nope, just the CAW thing but sounds like i dont have to worry

NeanderCarl
07-27-2008, 09:24 AM
http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/article/886/886062/wwe-smackdown-vs-raw-2009-20080703104227960-000.jpg

Where did Shawn Michaels get that full head of hair from then?

Optimus Bone 69
07-27-2008, 12:41 PM
Its an optical illusion

Extreme Angle
07-29-2008, 07:07 PM
http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/dor/objects/14242641/wwe-smackdown-vs-raw-2009/videos/wwewrestlerslivewire_072308.html

wicked

Kalyx triaD
07-29-2008, 08:10 PM
For some reason I love the conflicted crowd chants. Looks more of the same, but a better game this is.

Kalyx triaD
07-29-2008, 08:15 PM
...Is there even 60 guys in the WWE right now?

Lux
07-30-2008, 05:16 AM
Morrison & Miz just rock together, game = needs to be out now

Tazz Dan
08-08-2008, 10:20 PM
Shanker has lied to me once again. I wish there was somehing witty to rhyme with his name to insult him with.

Wanker :?:

Shaggy
08-21-2008, 03:44 PM
There are two things I have really been wanting for this Smackdown game....

1. The choice to turn heel and stay heel during a match. Yes I understand in the last smackdown game it gave you a chance to either shake someoens hand to show them respect or turn on them at some point. But I hated that after I turned on the game in the very next cutscene he is shaking hands with me and laughing.

2.....I want to play through a season with a diva. I actually like playing as the divas every once in a while. My favorite thing to do in the smackdown games is an elimination chamber with myself as a diva going against 5 other strong guys like Big Show, Kane, Undertaker, Khali and Triple H.

GD
08-21-2008, 04:27 PM
I wished they had it for pc so I can modify the game and have some kinda hot coffee mode.

Disturbed316
08-22-2008, 10:01 AM
You must have missed Candice's magic wand storyline in the last game then.

D Mac
08-22-2008, 10:22 AM
http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/dor/objects/14242641/wwe-smackdown-vs-raw-2009/videos/wwewrestlerslivewire_072308.html

wicked

lol The Miz

Evil Vito
08-23-2008, 10:54 AM
<font color=goldenrod>They haven't made any new announcement in ages, but I'd have to assume we are getting somewhat close to the roster confirmation date.

And I wanna hear what this new "mystery mode" is gonna be.</font>

Disturbed316
08-23-2008, 12:06 PM
If its anything like 24/7, I'll be pissed.

Extreme Angle
08-23-2008, 12:27 PM
create your storylines?

KingofOldSchool
08-23-2008, 01:38 PM
<font color=goldenrod>They haven't made any new announcement in ages, but I'd have to assume we are getting somewhat close to the roster confirmation date.

And I wanna hear what this new "mystery mode" is gonna be.</font>

Randy Orton's Head Punting Challenge?

Extreme Angle
08-23-2008, 01:47 PM
Crush Hour 2 demo?

#BROKEN Hasney
08-23-2008, 02:47 PM
I'd laugh if it was a something on a pole match.

or they just threw in Ultimate X for a laugh.

TerranRich
08-23-2008, 04:35 PM
I'm waiting for the announcement that Judy Bagwell has been confirmed.

Evil Vito
08-24-2008, 11:26 AM
Randy Orton's Head Punting Challenge?

:lol:

<font color=goldenrod>My guess is the mystery mode is just a highly revamped GM Mode...which would be cool. That mode always seemed to have great potential but it was poorly executed.

As for the roster, pretty sure it was announced on US Labor Day last year, so I'm guessing it'd get announced around that time again this year. There's still tools who believe the rumor of everybody on the active roster as of Night of Champions getting in. Not only do I have a hard time picturing people like Nunzio, Funaki, Val Venis, and a host of other jobbers getting in...but it'd seriously lessen the impact of the rumored DLC. :o

I can see it now: THE INAUGURAL DLC PACK! D'Lo Brown, Gavin Spears, Ricky Ortiz, Ryan Braddock, Scotty Goldman!!!</font>

U-Warrior
08-24-2008, 11:52 AM
I'll tell you one thing, Braden Walker better damn well be in it.

TerranRich
08-24-2008, 12:13 PM
I'll tell you one thing, Braden Walker better damn well be in it.

As a legend, no less! :foc:

Evil Vito
08-24-2008, 10:04 PM
<font color=goldenrod>Apparently there are meant to be updates on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday of this week...I'm guessing if we don't get the roster by Friday, he'll make some announcement on Friday about when it'll be revealed.</font>

Evil Vito
08-25-2008, 06:47 PM
<font color=goldenrod>Updates are meant to go up in about 10 minutes or so. Greg said the first details of the Countdown will be out...and that things are gonna be different this year.

Before it's announced I'll go ahead and take a guess that it'll be a blind countdown this year. The majority of the roster won't be revealed until their countdown day comes.</font>

Evil Vito
08-25-2008, 07:14 PM
<font color=goldenrod>http://ps3.ign.com/articles/902/902428p1.html

WWE SmackDown vs. Raw 2009: Tag Team Turmoil
We've got brand new info, screens, nearly five minutes of video, and details on this year's countdown.
by Greg Miller

August 25, 2008 - The time is nigh. After months and months of waiting, the floodgates are about to open on all things WWE SmackDown vs. Raw 2009, and IGN is the only place to get the scoop.

And we mean the only place to get the scoop.

Monday, Wednesday, and Friday of this week, we'll be bringing you videos, screens, and info about three new parts to the SVR franchise. Then, on Monday, September 1, the brand new SmackDown Countdown will kick off. Things are going to be a bit different this year, but we're pretty sure you're going to dig the changes.

Until Monday, you'll just have to whet your appetite with this …
Tag Team Matches

Since WrestleMania, THQ's big selling point for WWE SmackDown vs. Raw 2009 has been the brand new tag team match. We know that there are going to be hot tags, double team moves, clever AI, and double team finishers, but other than my hands-on, we haven't seen much of the match mechanics.

Thankfully, that ends with the video above.

Aside from watching Batista and Cena stomp mud holes in their competition, you probably noticed a few of the abilities for the illegal man on the apron. Once just a bystander, the illegal guy can now walk freely, strike, grapple, distract the ref, perform the forced tag, and pull the rope down as an opponent gets whipped to the ropes.

What other news can we suck from this video? Well, the crowd was chanting Batista's name, the ref didn't sound like a country bumpkin, and numbers never popped up on screen for the pinfall.

Want more? Check out our coverage of the Wii-specific entrances and victories, Ten Weird Teams for SmackDown vs. Raw 2009, and be sure to come back Wednesday for an unannounced match type.</font>

Evil Vito
08-25-2008, 07:20 PM
<font color=goldenrod>Oh yeah, and the vid shows Morrison and Miz' models for the first time.

The Moonlight Drive looks pretty awesome. Shame the ref still faces away from the pinfall when counting, ah well</font>

KingofOldSchool
08-25-2008, 07:57 PM
Hahaha I like how Morrison had BABYFACE FIRE going on at the end.

Evil Vito
08-26-2008, 12:31 AM
<font color=goldenrod>I'd mark if the new match type is an 8-man Survivor Series tag...surely they are at the point where they can have that many people on screen without hardcore lag.

Bet it's some shitty divas match though.</font>

Evil Vito
08-27-2008, 07:16 PM
<font color=goldenrod>WWE SmackDown vs. Raw 2009: Backstage Brawl
It's baaaaaaaaaaaaaack and improved.
by Greg Miller

August 27, 2008 - The time is nigh. After months and months of waiting, the floodgates are about to open on all things WWE SmackDown vs. Raw 2009, and IGN is the only place to get the scoop.

Monday, Wednesday, and Friday of this week, we'll be bringing you videos, screens, and info about three new parts to the SVR franchise. Then, on Monday, September 1, the brand new SmackDown Countdown will kick off. Things are going to be a bit different this year, but we're pretty sure you're going to dig the changes.

Backstage Brawl

After taking some time off, the Backstage Brawl is back in WWE SmackDown vs. Raw 2009. This year, there are actually two environments to brawl in -- the gorilla position and the locker room.

Aside from the concrete floor and dumpsters you can see in the screens below, THQ says the gorilla position -- the area directly behind the entrance to the stage -- is going to have a stock of weapons including a table, ladder, trash can, fire extinguisher, ring bell, and barbed wire 2x4. Meanwhile, you'll be able to interact with environmental objects such as metal doors, equipment containers, oil drums, trash dumpsters, trash bins, wooden table, and a TV Monitor.

Pucker up.
Pucker up.
Over on the never-before-seen locker room side, you're going to have some more implements of destruction to maim your opponents with. Weapons include a steel chair, crutches, Singapore cane, dumbbell and a guitar. You'll also be able to toss your foe into the lockers, big screen TV, potted plant, and a dry erase board.

Want more? Be sure to come back Friday for a video walkthrough from THQ that details one of this year's most anticipated features.

-------

Well, pretty cool I guess...though like other backstage brawls it'll be useless once you discover all the hot spots. Better than a divas match though.

Looks like Friday's update will be on the Road to WrestleMania Mode. I'm looking forward to hearing about it, supposedly it's only a 3 month mode but every wrestler you can use in it is meant to have a different storyline, so at least there's some replayability. And there's still the mystery mode in there.</font>

Dark-Slicer Diago
08-27-2008, 08:25 PM
Thats good news, I hope the mystery mode is worth them keeping their mouths shut so long.

Disturbed316
08-28-2008, 12:18 PM
MEH

Saw that video with Morrison and Mizz, what the fuck is with those glass/screen shatters after big moves?

Cuzziebro
08-29-2008, 05:04 AM
To signal a damaging effect or something like that??? No real point, I'm sure they just want to make it look cool for all the little kiddies....*shrugs*

Disturbed316
08-29-2008, 12:22 PM
Looks gay.

Evil Vito
08-29-2008, 04:27 PM
<font color=goldenrod>Yeah it's pretty gay...I wouldn't mind if it was just finishers, but every impact move? Blah. Hopefully there's a way to turn it off.

The IGN boards are hilarious...just topic after topic about what the "change" in the Countdown is gonna be. The consensus is that it's gonna just be a blind countdown with no idea as to who made the cut, but Greg did say "we think you'll like the changes"...and from the sounds of things, nobody thinks it's a good idea :lol:

Maybe they actually bothered to include a load of real tag teams in the game...and so their countdown day will be done as a tag team instead of solo, or something.</font>

Dark-Slicer Diago
08-29-2008, 06:45 PM
The time is nigh. After months and months of waiting, the floodgates are about to open on all things WWE SmackDown vs. Raw 2009, and IGN is the only place to get the scoop.

This week we showed you how SVR 09's tag team stuff would work, the Wii's interactive entrances and celebrations, and just what is going on with the Backstage Brawl match as we built up to the big news. Today, we continue that tradition of extensive SVR 09 coverage, but remind you that Monday's the day you've been waiting for -- September 1st, the brand new SmackDown Countdown will kick off. Things are going to be a bit different this year, but we're pretty sure you're going to dig the changes.

Create-A-Finisher

Way back in March, THQ shook the very foundation of the SVR Nation when it announced that this year's game would pack one of the most fan-requested modes -- Create-A-Finisher. Through a ten-step process, players chain together strikes, taunts, clutches, and slams for a finishing move that's all their own. There's poison fog, groin kicks, choke slams, and more. You can speed up or slow down animations, instantly preview a segment or the entire move, and watch as the move parts make use of multiple camera angles.

<embed src='http://videomedia.ign.com/ev/ev.swf' flashvars='object_ID=14242641&downloadURL=http://xbox360movies.ign.com/xbox360/video/article/902/902573/SDvR2009_CreateAFinisher_082508_flvlowwide.flv&allownetworking="all"' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' width='433' height='360' ></embed>

Some of the best news? You can assign the finishers to any wrestler in the game -- Superstars, created characters, Divas -- and save 30 of your created masterpieces. You can choose from 30 pre-set move names so the announcers can call the brutality as it happens, but you can also type in one that's all your own.

Want more? Be sure to come back Monday for the greatest spectacle in Sports Entertainment videogame character profiling -- the SmackDown Countdown.

PorkSoda
08-30-2008, 12:41 AM
:eek:

I wonder if we can do a total crotch finsiher. Where we kick him in the nads, then punch him in the nads, then....GRAB his nads, spin him around, and then bites his ass

:yes:

Lara Emily
08-30-2008, 01:27 AM
holy fuck I wasn't going to get this game but now it's a total buy unless everything around CAF sucks complete ass

Lux
08-30-2008, 01:41 AM

I wonder if we can do a total crotch finsiher. Where we kick him in the nads, then punch him in the nads, then....GRAB his nads, spin him around, and then bites his ass

I wonder how demented you are to want to kick, punch and grab another man's genitals

Lord-Of-Darkness
08-30-2008, 07:08 AM
That looks pretty god damned awesome to me. The amount of different combinations and variations you could make over 30 slots is something to look forward to.

Looking at that vid, it is kinda annoying that they have to take out Punks tattoos still.

Evil Vito
08-30-2008, 10:27 AM
<font color=goldenrod>Yeah CAF looks pretty awesome, it all flows nicely...dare I say they may have done it right the first try.

I'm gonna have to hear more before I buy, but at the very least it's a guaranteed rent for me...just to try out that mode.</font>

Extreme Angle
08-30-2008, 11:29 AM
Lush

Gerard
08-31-2008, 02:58 PM

I was thinking the same thing. :lol:

Well apart from the bite his ass bit. :wtf::shifty:

Just hope that broken glass efect can be turned off, though im near sure last years game the triple replay thing couldnt be disabled in regular matches. :foc:

Hopefully theres a demo this year.

Disturbed316
08-31-2008, 04:49 PM
CAF looks really sweet, but you can just imagine how badly the online dicks are gonna spam out the long moves.

Extreme Angle
08-31-2008, 05:51 PM
CAF looks really sweet, but you can just imagine how badly the online dicks are gonna spam out the long moves.

I will be having one of my quick moves. A sudden punch, and a pounce type move.

Last game I had pounce and this random clothesline

Evil Vito
09-01-2008, 12:24 PM
<font color=goldenrod>A longass finisher would be great in a Royal Rumble, keeps you occupied and unable to be thrown out until the move is finished :cool:

Countdown today...hopefully getting the roster. Half of IGN will be on suicide watch if it isn't</font> :lol:

Evil Vito
09-01-2008, 02:45 PM
<font color=goldenrod>LOL....turns out he IS doing a day-by-day roster reveal.

However, Santino Marella is the first Superstar on the Countdown</font> :cool:

CSL
09-01-2008, 03:26 PM
<embed src='http://videomedia.ign.com/ev/ev.swf' flashvars='object_ID=14242641&downloadURL=http://xbox360movies.ign.com/xbox360/video/article/906/906733/santinomarella_090108_flvlowwide.flv&allownetworking="all%"' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' width='433' height='360'></embed>

Evil Vito
09-01-2008, 03:38 PM
<font color=goldenrod>"If you see the Countdown pop up on your channel with videos from the PS3, it's not a mistake. That appearance means that character is in your version of the game. We're hoping to have weekly updates to your media sections with platform-specific stuff".

---

Hmm, judging by that, even PS2 will be getting a cut-down roster this year.</font>

Extreme Angle
09-01-2008, 04:43 PM
Gruesome Greggy :love:

Pissed off already, saw Santino do the spike headbutt, an online move which is barely reversible. Why don't they just remove it...

Dark-Slicer Diago
09-01-2008, 05:23 PM
Grab your steel chair, elbow pads, and Magic Marker-laden poster board -- the SmackDown Countdown is finally here.

For eight years IGN's been teaming with THQ to bring you videos, screens, and information for every playable character in the latest WWE videogame, and this year is no different -- except for the fact that it's very different. Rather than hand you the entire roster at the onset of this feature and then profiling the people on it day by day, we're going to give you the roster one person at a time.

That's right; every day we'll be announcing a new character in the game.

Monday through Friday from now until the release of WWE SmackDown vs. Raw 2009, we'll be profiling Superstars, showing their entrance, signature move, and finisher on the PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, and Nintendo Wii. Now -- PSP, PS2, and DS users -- if you see the Countdown pop up on your channel with videos from the PS3, it's not a mistake. That appearance means that character is in your version of the game. We're hoping to have weekly updates to your media sections with platform-specific stuff.

We've got a long way to go, but keep in mind that you're a huge part of this Countdown. Both Friday Fights and the THQ&A are back this year. Every Friday -- in addition to the Countdown -- IGN will post either a match in its entirety or a quick developer Q&A. If you check the IGN SmackDown vs. Raw message board, you'll find threads where you'll be able to vote on who you want to see fight and in what match as well as post your questions for the developers.

Can you smell what we're cooking?

http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/article/906/906666/the-smackdown-countdown-santino-marella-20080829021846068.jpg

It will forever be known as the "Milan Miracle." On the night of April 16, 2007 in Milan, Italy, Mr. McMahon issued a challenge to anyone in the audience to battle the reigning Intercontinental Champion, Umaga, in a title match. As expected, no one was itching to face the Samoan Bulldozer.
Enter Santino Marella.

Marella, perched in the front row, not only volunteered, he also got off to a surprisingly quick start. Quick enough, in fact, that Mr. McMahon changed the bout to a No Holds Barred Match. Under those rules, it appeared as if Umaga would destroy Marella, but ECW World Champion Bobby Lashley intervened. After the ECW Champion nailed the Samoan Bulldozer with a chair and a vicious spear, he dragged Marella over and placed him on top of Umaga. The Italian became the new Intercontinental Champion in one of the most improbable moments in Raw history.

Source: WWE.com

Abilities
Dirty Pin
Referee Shield
Move Theft
Steal Taunt
Possum Pin

Signature Moves
Back Wheel Trip
Diving Headbutt 3

Finishers
Neckbreaker 13
Neckbreaker 16

<EMBED src=http://videomedia.ign.com/ev/ev.swf width=433 height=360 type=application/x-shockwave-flash flashvars='object_ID=14242659&downloadURL=http://wiimovies.ign.com/wii/video/article/906/906134/ssc-svr-1-wwe-wii_flvlowwide.flv&allownetworking="all"'></EMBED>

Santino Marella PS3/360 (http://xbox360movies.ign.com/xbox360/video/article/906/906733/santinomarella_090108_qtlowwide.mov)
Santino Marella Wii (http://streamingmovies.ign.com/wii/article/906/906134/ssc-svr-1-wwe-wii_wmvlowwide.wmv)

credit - Greg Miller, ps3.ign.com

D Mac
09-02-2008, 06:23 AM
It's actually gonna have some move by move commentary I see.

CSL
09-02-2008, 06:34 AM
I'm expecting some funny Santino stuff in the season mode

Evil Vito
09-02-2008, 06:40 PM
http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/article/907/907002/wwe-smackdown-vs-raw-2009-20080902110911700.jpg

Dark-Slicer Diago
09-02-2008, 06:48 PM
http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/article/907/907002/wwe-smackdown-vs-raw-2009-20080902110911700.jpg

Finlay has made his mission clear: he's here to fight. That's exactly what he's going to do, and he's always been good at it. Hailing from the mean streets of Belfast, Northern Ireland, Finlay will tell you that he loves to fight, and this double-tough individual can back up his bravado.

Throughout his career, Finlay has been regarded as one of the toughest men to ever step foot inside the ring. Originally plying his trade in Europe, Finlay held 16 major championships in Great Britain and Germany before coming to the United States in the mid-1990s.

Abilities
Dirty Pin
Referee Shield
Hammer Throw
Durability
Submission

Signature Moves
Finlay Press
Steam Roller

Finishers
Celtic Cross
Celtic Knot

<EMBED src=http://videomedia.ign.com/ev/ev.swf width=433 height=360 type=application/x-shockwave-flash flashvars='object_ID=14242649&downloadURL=http://ps3movies.ign.com/ps3/video/article/907/907170/finlay_090208_flvlowwide.flv&allownetworking="all"'></EMBED>

<embed src='http://videomedia.ign.com/ev/ev.swf' flashvars='object_ID=14242659&downloadURL=http://wiimovies.ign.com/wii/video/article/907/907149/svr-finlay-countdown-1_flvlowwide.flv&allownetworking="all"' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' width='433' height='360' ></embed>

Fit Finlay PS3/360 (http://ps3movies.ign.com/ps3/video/article/907/907170/finlay_090208_qtlowwide.mov)
Fit Finlay Wii (http://streamingmovies.ign.com/wii/article/907/907149/svr-finlay-countdown-1_wmvlowwide.wmv)

Evil Vito
09-02-2008, 06:59 PM
<font color=goldenrod>I'm a little underwhelmed by Finlay only because he looks exactly the same as the last two games...guess it's worth noting that the crowd was chanting "Horny!"...unless he's a season character, I don't think he'll even be in, he would be glitchy as hell if he were a playable character.</font>

Xero
09-02-2008, 07:14 PM
I'd imagine they could do a ring post-type move where Horny could throw you a weapon.

In fact, that should be an option. Create a Midget. :shifty:

What Would Kevin Do?
09-02-2008, 07:49 PM
Well, it looks like they haven't fixed the fucking submission system.

TerranRich
09-03-2008, 04:21 AM
Wow, thank GOD they didn't include the Unibrow&trade; for Santino.

Also, gorilla position :heart: that rocks

D Mac
09-03-2008, 05:20 AM
Guess they left out the announcing changes from the draft. Wonder if JBL is still the Smackdown color commentator or if it's Foley.

Disturbed316
09-03-2008, 06:31 AM
Meh, I'm really not digging this glass breaking thing, looks totally gay.

Evil Vito
09-03-2008, 07:20 AM
<font color=goldenrod>Yeah the glass breaking kinda sucks, especially after a submission it looks retarded.

The only cool finisher effect was being able to control your matrix effect in SYM</font>

Dark-Slicer Diago
09-03-2008, 11:37 AM
Coach is smackdown's colour commentator(proof by watching Finlay's Wii vid) and I agree that the glass breaking sound is really stupid.

Dark-Slicer Diago
09-03-2008, 02:50 PM
Santino's post updated with his Signature Moves and Finlay's post updated with his Signature Moves and embedded Wii vid.

Dark-Slicer Diago
09-03-2008, 06:33 PM
http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/article/907/907365/wwe-smackdown-vs-raw-2009-20080903031207898.jpg

Originally, Beth burst onto the Raw scene in May 2006. Coming through the crowd, she attacked then-Women's Champion Mickie James. James was able to escape Phoenix and yelled "What are you doing here!?" as she left the ramp.

In the days to come, WWE fans would learn more about Beth Phoenix. Former Women's Champion Trish Stratus introduced Beth as an old friend of Mickie James, and insinuated that in the past, James had wronged her. Two weeks after Beth's first appearance, Stratus officially introduced her as the newest Raw Diva. Beth then welcomed herself to Raw by once again attacking Mickie James from behind, chasing her through the crowd and out of the arena. The following week, Beth made her in-ring debut, teaming with Torrie Wilson to defeat Candice & Victoria as James looked on from outside the ring.

However, in her first solo match against Victoria, Phoenix suffered the injury that would keep her sidelined for over a year. After suffering a fractured mandible, she had a titanium plate inserted in her jaw the next day.

Upon her return, the relentless Phoenix proved that her newly acquired titanium jaw had only fueled her hunger for gold. As the "Glamazon," Phoenix came to dominate Raw with her considerable size and strength advantage. She leveraged that advantage heavily, and quickly drew a bead on the reigning Women's Champion at the time, Candice. After a couple of losses, Phoenix managed to blunt Candice's speed and agility to capture the Women's Championship in October 2007.

Abilities
Dirty Pin
Hammer Throw
Durability

Signature Moves
Sidewalk Slam 4
Body Press Drop FW

Finishers
Northern Lights Driver
Michinoku Driver Pin

<EMBED src=http://videomedia.ign.com/ev/ev.swf width=433 height=360 type=application/x-shockwave-flash flashvars='object_ID=14242641&downloadURL=http://xbox360movies.ign.com/xbox360/video/article/907/907561/0903_beth_phoenix_flvlowwide.flv&allownetworking="all"'></EMBED>

<embed src='http://videomedia.ign.com/ev/ev.swf' flashvars='object_ID=14242659&downloadURL=http://wiimovies.ign.com/wii/video/article/907/907533/svr-countdown-wii-beth-p-1_flvlowwide.flv&allownetworking="all"' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' width='433' height='360' ></embed>

Beth Phoenix PS3/360 (http://xbox360movies.ign.com/xbox360/video/article/907/907561/0903_beth_phoenix_qtlowwide.mov)
Beth Phoenix Wii (http://streamingmovies.ign.com/wii/article/907/907533/svr-countdown-wii-beth-p-1_wmvlowwide.wmv)

Evil Vito
09-03-2008, 09:42 PM
<font color=goldenrod>Beth :love: WOuld have been funnier if her strength was higher than Santino

Shame she's really the only diva I was actually looking forward to...prolly gonna be like 9 more this year</font> :o

Disturbed316
09-04-2008, 03:03 PM
Looks like the weight restrictions for finishers still doesnt work.

Evil Vito
09-04-2008, 06:27 PM
<font color=goldenrod>MEH Kelly Kelly. 2 divas in a row</font> :mad:

Dark-Slicer Diago
09-04-2008, 06:38 PM
That pisses me off too.

http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/article/907/907750/wwe-smackdown-vs-raw-2009-20080904105444028.jpg

When she debuted on June 13, 2006, Kelly Kelly became the youngest Diva in all of sports-entertainment. A self-proclaimed exhibitionist, she put on strip shows dubbed "Kelly Kelly's Exposé" for our fans and won several body competitions.

After an ugly break-up with Mike Knox, Kelly clinged to a pair of equally spicy Divas, including Layla. The trio billed themselves as Extreme Exposé, though they would go their separate ways when The Miz, who owns the Divas' contracts, promised to make Kelly's life a living hell if she dated Balls Mahoney. Ignoring the Superstars' warnings, the blonde pursued and suffered the consequences, though she has proven herself in the ring while fending off any attacks from The Miz, Layla or anybody else.

Abilities
Referee Shield
Move Theft
Fan Favorite

Signature Moves
Hurricanrana 5
Headscissor Takedown

Finishers
Fame Kisser
DDT 17

<EMBED src=http://videomedia.ign.com/ev/ev.swf width=433 height=360 type=application/x-shockwave-flash flashvars='object_ID=14242649&downloadURL=http://ps3movies.ign.com/ps3/video/article/907/907862/svr_kelly_kelly_090408_flvlowwide.flv&allownetworking="all"'></EMBED>

<EMBED src=http://videomedia.ign.com/ev/ev.swf width=433 height=360 type=application/x-shockwave-flash flashvars='object_ID=14242659&downloadURL=http://wiimovies.ign.com/wii/video/article/907/907807/svr-countdown-kellykelly_flvlowwide.flv&allownetworking="all"'></EMBED>

Kelly Kelly PS3/360 (http://ps3movies.ign.com/ps3/video/article/907/907862/svr_kelly_kelly_090408_qtlowwide.mov)
Wii link only up for insiders

Evil Vito
09-04-2008, 06:45 PM
<font color=goldenrod>I'm getting a little worried about the roster...I mean as happy as I was to see Santino and even Beth...the fact is all 4 people confirmed through the countdown were pretty much locks :o

Maybe I'm weird, but I've always played as the undercard guys more than the big names...so the roster is pretty important for me. I couldn't get around how awful it was last year.

That being said, it's still early...so we'll see.</font>

Dark-Slicer Diago
09-04-2008, 06:48 PM
I too hope they start releasing superstars who people don't think are in.

KingofOldSchool
09-05-2008, 12:20 PM
Jesus Christ people, this thing just started. At least they gave us Santino, I was more worried they were going to leave him out more than anything.

Disturbed316
09-05-2008, 01:50 PM
I only use my CAW so I dont give a monkeys.

Dark-Slicer Diago
09-05-2008, 06:31 PM
http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/article/907/907843/wwe-smackdown-vs-raw-2009-20080904013927367.jpg

Growing up on the dangerous streets of urban Orangeburg, S.C., Shelton Benjamin felt pressure to join gangs. He lived in an area known for drug trafficking and weapons use, hung out with drug dealers and even found himself in the crossfire of several gunfights. To say that life was rough is an understatement, and Shelton admits that he could have easily slipped through the cracks and fallen into the traps of his hometown.

But rather than ending up on the wrong side of the tracks, he exceeded everyone's expectations; instead of getting caught up in the drugs and violence, Shelton got his life on track. An exceptional athlete, Shelton won two South Carolina state high school heavyweight wrestling championships. He was accepted to the University of Minnesota, continuing his career as a stand-out amateur wrestler and eventually becoming a WWE Superstar. And after all he went through early on in life, it's no wonder that Benjamin is so self-confident in the squared circle.

Achieving the goal of becoming a WWE Superstar was a life-long dream for Benjamin – a longtime sports-entertainment fan. Ever since he was young, Shelton was awed by the athleticism he saw in the ring each week on television. In fact, he even remembers the match that first caught his eye – Magnum T.A. vs. Wahoo McDaniel for the United States Championship in 1985.

Not only a great athlete, Benjamin also excels at video games, at one point winning the annual WrestleMania fan fest championship tournament three years in a row.

Abilities
Dirty Pin
Hammer Throw
Ladder Match
Outside Dives
Springboard
Possum Pin

Signature Moves
Powerslam Pin 3(his T-Bone)
Dragon Whip 2

Finishers
Jumping Complete Shot(Pay Dirt)
Super Kick

<EMBED src=http://videomedia.ign.com/ev/ev.swf width=433 height=360 type=application/x-shockwave-flash flashvars='object_ID=14242649&downloadURL=http://ps3movies.ign.com/ps3/video/article/907/907867/svr_shelton_benjamin_090508_flvlowwide.flv&allownetworking="all"'></EMBED>

<embed src='http://videomedia.ign.com/ev/ev.swf' flashvars='object_ID=14242659&downloadURL=http://wiimovies.ign.com/wii/video/article/908/908236/svr-countdown-shelton-1_flvlowwide.flv&allownetworking="all"' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' width='433' height='360' ></embed>

Shelton Benjamin PS3/360 (http://ps3movies.ign.com/ps3/video/article/907/907867/svr_shelton_benjamin_090508_qtlowwide.mov)
Shelton Benjamin Wii (http://wiimovies.ign.com/wii/video/article/908/908236/svr-countdown-shelton-1_qtlowwide.mov)

Dark-Slicer Diago
09-05-2008, 06:41 PM
Are you ready?

Each and every day, IGN brings you a brand new wrestler on the WWE SmackDown vs. Raw 2009 roster, but we're not content to just give you glimpses of the latest Superstars. For the second year in a row, IGN brings you a weekly treat every Friday -- either a reader-led Q&A with THQ or a wrestling match shown in its entirety that the readers picked by voting on the IGN SVR board.

This week, it's the debut of Friday Fights.

Yes, over on the boards the kids voted on what match they wanted and who they wanted to see in it. Below is the fruits of democracy.

Enjoy

<embed src='http://videomedia.ign.com/ev/ev.swf' flashvars='object_ID=14242649&downloadURL=http://ps3movies.ign.com/ps3/video/article/908/908050/svr_fridayfights_090508_flvlowwide.flv&allownetworking="all"' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' width='433' height='360' ></embed>

Finlay vs Santino Marella Hell In A Cell (http://ps3movies.ign.com/ps3/video/article/908/908050/svr_fridayfights_090508_qtlowwide.mov)

Evil Vito
09-05-2008, 06:55 PM
<font color=goldenrod>Wooo Shelton :cool: Had a feeling it'd be either him or MVP today. Felt weird not having him in last year.

haha, Justin Roberts did an awful announcing job there.

As for the Friday Night Fights...pretty cool little addition there where they showed Finlay staring down Santino as Santino made his entrance</font>

Mister Sinister
09-05-2008, 09:58 PM
I'm a little annoyed.

Them calling it the jumping complete shot...I mean seriously...

Also, while I rather hear Joey Styles, part of me was wishing for Adamie to be in.